• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Can we talk about how amazing this video is?

When it came out every thread was marred by nitpicking of the likes of I've never seen a game be put under.

And in the mean time missing the fucking incredible show of animation , detail and staging ND put on display here.

Look how densely detailed everything is. It's just delicious.

Their animations are fucking insane by now. And the sounds... Sweet baby Jesus.

Very few games make their environments feel so tangible. In fact only two come to mind: Half Life 2's City 17 and TLOU.

This game is doing the same with a JUNGLE.

Fuck, I'm hard.

zsynqx

When it came out every thread was marred by nitpicking of the likes of I've never seen a game be put under.

And in the mean time missing the fucking incredible show of animation , detail and staging ND put on display here.

Very few games make their environments feel so tangible. In fact only two come to mind: Half Life 2's City 17 and TLOU.

Fuck, I'm hard.

Looks like some incredibly dynamic combat as well, with that "cat and mouse" Last of Us gameplay adapted to suit Nathan Drakes traveral moveset. Honestly, the PSX demo got me more excited than the E3 set piece despite that being a technical marvel, as it shows their core moment to moment gameplay has evolved.

I agree about how tangible environment feels.

Uncharted4punchup.gif

ComplicatedFancyAmericanrobin.gif

Edit: Also HOLY SHIT, nearly 6 million view and 86 thousand likes. This game is gunna sell.

Alo0oy

Banned
Looks like some incredibly dynamic combat as well, with that "cat and mouse" Last of Us gameplay adapted to suit Nathan Drakes traveral moveset. Honestly, the PSX demo got me more excited than the E3 set piece despite that being a technical marvel, as it shows their core moment to moment gameplay has evolved.

I agree about how tangible environment feels.

Uncharted4punchup.gif

ComplicatedFancyAmericanrobin.gif

Edit: Also HOLY SHIT, nearly 6 million view and 86 thousand likes. This game is gunna sell.

Not Surprising, Uncharted 3 sold ~10 million, I don't see any reason why UC4 will sell less than that.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Guys. I came to an interesting discovery yesterday. After finished UC2 twice over the weekend I went back to UC1 to see how it holds up. UC1 actually has more impressive animations and melle combat compared to UC2. Actually believe the animations have been downgraded compared to UC1. Anyone else notice this?

The melee combat in UC1 is really damn satisfying. Similar combos and animations are used in UC2 but do not animate and feel anywhere near as good. I wonder why..

Game4life

Banned
Not Surprising, Uncharted 3 sold ~10 million, I don't see any reason why UC4 will sell less than that.

Install base could be the only limiting factor if there are any. Hopefully it sells a heck of a lot!

Best TPS gameplay I have seen this gen. So fking good. The level design too seems to be of the charts!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Uncharted's difficulty beyond normal is just ridiculously punishing to the point of not fun unless you've already done it before and know the layout of the enemies. Even then you have to play a game of the quick and the dead where even a fraction second of mistake is very costly. Which is why I would never recommend Crushing if you just played the game for the first time.
Hard is actually my preferred difficulty for these games and I'm someone who usually just plays on normal. Enemies press you enough to keep you on your toes without forcing you to just sit in cover the whole time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Fuck, I'm hard.
The gameplay in this video took every suggestion I've ever made for the future of Uncharted and cranked it up to 11. Destructable cover, adaptive stealth, more complex melee, better gun sounds and feedback, emphasis on motion and platforming in combat. It's one of the best gameplay demos I've ever seen. I want to get my hands on it so badly.

This vid is also ancient by now in dev time. Can't wait to see how it has improved.

Game4life

Banned
The gameplay in this video took every suggestion I've ever made for the future of Uncharted and cranked it up to 11. Destructable cover, adaptive stealth, more complex melee, better gun sounds and feedback, emphasis on motion and platforming in combat. It's one of the best gameplay demos I've ever seen. I want to get my hands on it so badly.

This vid is also ancient by now in dev time. Can't wait to see how it has improved.

The best part is ND said you can completely bypass areas like this and not even encounter anybody. The alternate areas may be a little more challenging from a platforming perspective apparently.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The best part is ND said you can completely bypass areas like this and not even encounter anybody. The alternate areas may be a little more challenging from a platforming perspective apparently.
Even in this demo there's tons of paths that Nate just plain misses. In Uncharted I usually clear a combat area then retrace my steps for treasures and sightseeing but it looks like that won't be viable this time.

Fuck, I'm hard.

I was there live and it was a sight to behold. Crowd went nuts for the grappling hook and the mud slide.

you know out of the three melee systems 2 had the best. I guess they attempted to do a more arkham system in 3 with the counters but I enjoyed the non 'PRESS TRIANGLE TO WHOOP ASS' of 2.

Gray Matter

So, I was going to get the platinums the easy way (I know, shame on me) by using the infinite ammo and one shot kill tweaks, and I came to notice that I can't use them on a new game on crushing difficulty.

No plats for me i guess.

Reebot

you know out of the three melee systems 2 had the best. I guess they attempted to do a more arkham system in 3 with the counters but I enjoyed the non 'PRESS TRIANGLE TO WHOOP ASS' of 2.

3's is great in theory, you can tell they really went for old school Indy style brawls. The execution was terrible, but I hope U4 takes another stab.

3's is great in theory, you can tell they really went for old school Indy style brawls. The execution was terrible, but I hope U4 takes another stab.

I enjoyed how they attempted to make the combat more dynamic in the sense that if you were near something cool drake would finish off the fight using that. But at the same time I would have liked that control myself. The giant triangle during fights was off putting, even if 2's still had a counter thing.

Uncharted 1's was just bad though.

Hard is actually my preferred difficulty for these games and I'm someone who usually just plays on normal. Enemies press you enough to keep you on your toes without forcing you to just sit in cover the whole time.

What do you think would be the ideal difficulty to play through Uncharted 4 at? I've played through all the Uncharted games on Normal many times, then on Crushing once or twice but never anywhere inbetween haha.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What do you think would be the ideal difficulty to play through Uncharted 4 at? I've played through all the Uncharted games on Normal many times, then on Crushing once or twice but never anywhere inbetween haha.
I haven't played Uncharted 4 so I can't say.

I'm going to try hard though.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I have played all the ND games on Hard the first time through. Perfect balance I find.

Yeah I'm thinking Hard is a good middle ground for my first playthough when it launches. I'm an Uncharted veteran, so should be able to handle it, just hope it doesn't turn out too difficult and my experience is...
Sullied

Drake_smiley_Face.JPG

Yeah I'm thinking Hard is a good middle ground for my first playthough when it launches. I'm an Uncharted veteran, so should be able to handle it, just hope it doesn't turn out too difficult and my experience is...
Sullied

Drake_smiley_Face.JPG
As an Uncharted veteran™, I'm surprised you weren't ecstatic about playing Uncharted 4: Among Thieves in this collection.

tmac456

big fail by me not buying this yet. impressions sound great

trying to budget my money better after buying a place and it's killing me

Late Flag

Platinumed Drakes Fortune for the second time yesterday, and just started on Among Thieves today. This one looks like it could have been a this-gen PS4 game. Actually the cutscenes look worse than the game itself. Bluepoint just killed it on this collection.

Late Flag

I'm convinced that the final boss on Uncharted 1 is impossible to beat on crushing.

Edit: Fianlly Beat it but I had to cheese it.

I don't get it. The final boss isn't cheese-able as far as I know. There's a pattern, but it's intended.

Edit: Regardless, the final boss is very possible to beat on Crushing. From the
helicopter drop-off to the credits
, I died exactly twice on this run.

Ended up taking a break from the collection after UC2 to revisit some earlier Naughty Dog games, but now I've booted it back up to play through 3. Made it to Syria, and stuff like the Chateau set piece is still as fantastic as I remembered. As people have also pointed out, changes to the combat are definitely weird and a bit off, stuff like the lack of hit reactions from enemies when using regular weapons.

This is something that I have little issue with as I always have this habit in other shooters, but the push for more melee in the game I still kind of like. I still like the special, contextual animations for actions based on location or current equipped weapons. The throw element of the melee combat is shit though, aside from it overlapping with the roll button it feels more like a shove than actually throwing the dude, which given some of the context sensitive melee finishers in the game, being able to throw a dude over a ledge when in position and on command would be satisfying. Or at least a MGS3 style CQC slam. That'd be fun.

There are other minor things that are niggling me such as Drake's basic movement feel, but other than that the game still feels mostly like how I remember back on PS3. Plus as I'm getting deeper into it, elements I remember of the game's plot are coming back to me, and I am once again plagued with the same question that I had back in 2011:

The fuck was up with all those spiders? As in why they're there?

Making good headway into UC3 and the missing hit reactions are much more noticeable for me this playthrough. Luckily, UC4 seems to have gone back to UC2 style reactions.

I'm enjoying it still and I quite like opening.

And wow, UC3's Drake model is ridiculous. This remaster just continues to impress me.

Stormus

Playing through the first one. I cannot be positive, but I'm fairly certain if you took a jet ski and ran it into a barrel of gasoline bobbing in water going ~15 mph it's not just going to explode and kill you. I think it would probably just harmlessly float away.

I got the Uncharted Collection PS4. I've played through Uncharted 2 and 3 in the past but never played one. I think I usually play on whatever is after easy, and sometimes I switched it to easy. I'm going to try all these games on hard so I wont be going through the game as mindlessly as I did the first time I played them...

Ptobably not even going ot open the PS4 until I've finished a few other games though (DK Tropical Freeze, the last bits of Super Mario Galaxy, NassainceE...)

Making good headway into UC3 and the missing hit reactions are much more noticeable for me this playthrough. Luckily, UC4 seems to have gone back to UC2 style reactions.

I'm enjoying it still and I quite like opening.

And wow, UC3's Drake model is ridiculous. This remaster just continues to impress me.

This must have been taken from a weird angle or something. Drake's face looks rather funky.

Replicant

I normally play on Normal first since I just want to have fun. Then I play on Crushing for Trophies.

I can't be bothered doing two playthroughs for the collection and just went straight for Crushing right away.

I've never had an issue with the jetski parts enough to run to the internet about....

....but that one section where you hit that sweet ramp at a bare ass on sand paper pace is so fucking laughable hahaha.

DirtyLarry

Just got through the train level of UC2 and was instantly reminded of why UC2 is one of my favorite games ever fucking made.
Excuse the french but I feel it is necessary to convey just how damn much I love this game, and I will be the first to admit it is not perfect in execution.
However it is damn near perfect in the experience it provides.

I have yet to beat Bloodborne or MGSV.
I have the new Tony Hawk game (which as much as it sucks I have fun with it) and Yoshi game (which I did check out for the first time last night and is awesome).
Yet with all of those games to play, I keep firing up a game I have already played 3 times.

I hardly ever do that shit either as my time is limited and has been since I am 30 (now 40) so I am very much a one and done type of player.
Over the past 10 years there are only 5 SP games I have played, to completion, more than once...
  1. Half Life 2
  2. Uncharted 1
  3. Uncharted 2
  4. The Last Of Us
  5. Rayman Origins
Actually 6, I also played the original Far Cry, and beat it, twice.

I do not think it is a coincidence out of those 6 games, Naughty Dog is responsible for 3 of them.
Really getting so amped for UC4. Cannot wait.

Crushing is unfair at points, but it's very doable. You have to play a certain way and abuse the perspective aiming as much as you can, as well as play very safe and choose your points of attack and cover wisely.

Also make sure you pick the right weapons for the right fights. Some enemies the best way to fight them is using the crossbow, for example, in Uncharted 2. The sidearm you almost always want in Uncharted 2 is the 92FS. And for the big guys you want the most explosive weapons like a shotgun at least or rocket launcher/grenade launcher.

On Crushing basically the best way to play it is that.... pick your spots, pick your weapons, and play methodically, or you will have a much harder time.

Brutal on the other hand is complete bullshit and a waste of time and it's deservedly not part of the trophies list to get the platinum.

I'm having a problem here. Every article and review says that the motion blur is still in 2 and 3. I've been playing through 2 under the impression that it was just less pronounced due to the framerate, but the more I play the more I think my game is bugged or something. Motion blur is on, but I can't see any to speak of during action sequences. The game looks no different no matter what setting I put it on. It's ESPECIALLY noticeable during the train level, which feels awkward and slow without the blur. Am I blind, or is this a known issue?

Edit - did some experimenting around with taking screens, and it is actually there, just *very* subtle. Kind of a bummer, as I think they may have gone too subtle in spots.

zsynqx

I'm having a problem here. Every article and review says that the motion blur is still in 2 and 3. I've been playing through 2 under the impression that it was just less pronounced due to the framerate, but the more I play the more I think my game is bugged or something. Motion blur is on, but I can't see any to speak of during action sequences. The game looks no different no matter what setting I put it on. It's ESPECIALLY noticeable during the train level, which feels awkward and slow without the blur. Am I blind, or is this a known issue?

Edit - did some experimenting around with taking screens, and it is actually there, just *very* subtle. Kind of a bummer, as I think they may have gone too subtle in spots.

Same thing happened with TLOUR.

Revven

I think I'll start uploading some of my Uncharted clips I've saved early tomorrow morning as I've got some really good stuff to show -- especially in UC2.

I also just finished UC1 on Crushing and man, the last 5 chapters are not as bad as they used to be -- I chalk this up to the aiming being so, so much better. I definitely didn't die as many times as I did back when I did my Crushing playthrough on PS3 (if I recall correctly, anyway). In fact, I still say Chapter 13's part of that same area is much harder than the return one in Chapter 20. And to be honest, that's really down to which side of the arena you're coming from -- in 13 you're coming from the stairs and you only have one breakable piece of cover to use while in 20 you're coming out of that tunnel where you can kill the first two guys and then retreat back into the tunnel to corner shoot and pick off the dudes that chase after you.

The tunnel strat for 20 makes it much easier.

I saved clips of 19/20 and 22 so you guys can see (and anyone who might have trouble with those two chapters on Crushing).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

sZwjYQDtXRsWZjS2qrTXhou2nQ-41Fq0m12p3FkpK0nxj87n8qtqurxICjjmPzjq9RQKc4xoh1T0usjkSrIg3QMng6Qly9mpI7AKvZQ7sIwpbfpCRLTgMIAP5R54T5YGTUo93h9aI_SPbprAs8suZClG2oCEqDOeKyyqjK3S4xzuO61cVwgMSM8PtdoUgNvfKaQAbguPeuXyz4oUZutDZNNr2sSde1xqBIw2naxXVM6mMoqdPlsnvCyOnyZXS2ujFm6t8RZCEEMZpWW6WzWQ2x7P-nIMYQPeLZJ17HuJROqzfngd4kOe4IB8JX_e6Gw-14Nt8AW1ZgftXlgJypUYZu1onLbijsL4SFS3N9vYCuhYpU2RF4bRYrU7CY1yTrw3tQCYrQ7dCpWh56n5IE0zxEQWpdyJC07XNgU9Qr92Ned0v6FgMsAl6LWYwQlAp8zMvSecFypLy2o3q0KDCHcqmFXwtNwXUJgKSj3cfAIpEoqF1H8wLLD-_hS7HNXeSvj-6ILqgw89tWNsB8JiZxwTDrArox2PCJpIR8LZMuur5jk=w1920-h1080-no

I can get pretty heavy at times. Mostly when close to the camera. I think it's just ND's implementation of motion blur, which is different than any other I've seen, that makes it seem less visible at 60fps.

I don't get it. The final boss isn't cheese-able as far as I know. There's a pattern, but it's intended.

Edit: Regardless, the final boss is very possible to beat on Crushing. From the
helicopter drop-off to the credits
, I died exactly twice on this run.

Well, what I did at the second part was go back over the crates between the first and second areas and killed the enemies. Here's a clip I saved showing what I did.
That's what I meant by cheese.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Hmm, I think motion blur is actually quite pronounced for a 60FPS game. It's obvious to me a lot of the time, and stronger than it was in TLOU:R. The camera blur is subtler, but again, it should be. Keep in mind, you're not supposed to be consciously aware of the blur 100% of the time. It really should be there to make the motion appear smoother for your eyes.

*edit* most of my auto-made trophy screenshots are kind of ruined by how stong the blur is actually, just like the one above.

I've never had an issue with the jetski parts enough to run to the internet about....

....but that one section where you hit that sweet ramp at a bare ass on sand paper pace is so fucking laughable hahaha.

Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about! It always makes me crack a smile at just how anti-climatic that moment is!

Top Bottom