• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Bullitus

Oh my God! I forgot how utterly annoying UC2 boss final boss battle was.

I used to hate it because on harder difficulties it was just bullshit and I thought it took far too long. But I just finished UC2 and got through the boss in like 3rd try. Still not fun though. But the parts leading up to the boss fight are some of worst in the series. Does someone really find waves of bullet sponge enemies fun?

jediyoshi

Why?

Generally curious. I think it's fair and pretty well designed given Uncharted 2's limited mechanics.

The climbing doesn't lend itself well to quickly navigating ambiguously designed geometry (diagonal ledges/slopes), especially while occasionally needing to run towards the camera to line up shots while he's following. When the game does need you to quickly navigate, there's usually either some kind of uniformity to it like being a crumbling bridge (generally flat), or it's completely linear and eventually easy to memorize (running away from spiders). It needing you to internalize, given the distance and vertical difference between two surfaces, whether you'll quickly right yourself or whether you need to completely pull yourself up breaks up the action in an awkward way.

I'm personally not a fan of the grenades which feel like overkill since you already need to pay attention to your distance from the resin as it goes off. Also just not a fan of any mechanics that require you to kite an enemy when there's so much room for him deviating from the resin.

The climbing doesn't lend itself well to quickly navigating ambiguously designed geometry (diagonal ledges/slopes), especially while occasionally needing to run towards the camera to line up shots while he's following. When the game does need you to quickly navigate, there's usually either some kind of uniformity to it like being a crumbling bridge (generally flat), or it's completely linear and eventually easy to memorize (running away from spiders). It needing you to internalize, given the distance and vertical difference between two surfaces, whether you'll quickly right yourself or whether you need to completely pull yourself up breaks up the action in an awkward way.

I'm personally not a fan of the grenades which feel like overkill since you already need to pay attention to your distance from the resin as it goes off. Also just not a fan of any mechanics that require you to kite an enemy when there's so much room for him deviating from the resin.

I mean, it takes a higher level of spatial awareness than other encounters, but I like that. You always have plenty of time to make a mental note of what's around you before turning around to shoot a piece of resin.

The grenades have never been an issue for me in that fight, even on Crushing. He seems to throw them like he's drunk. Am I just lucky? He also never really avoided resin for me. I noticed he started to do it in the final phase, but he only skipped one or two pods.

Not saying it's an all time classic boss or anything, but my experience just doesn't seem to line up with anyone else's. I simply see it as an encounter that forces Drake to shoot and climb at a quick and constant pace, while demanding heightened spatial awareness. It seems fitting for a final encounter, given how it escalates the use of those mechanics (however simple they are). There's even some room for improvisation, such as when I temporarily chose to duck into the middle section on Crushing for its abundance of cover to heal up, rather than stick to the outside where it's easier to get shot. And it worked as intended.

leng jai

So, what's the consensus around here? Does Uncharted holds up these days? It deservers the 90+ scores? It's really that great of a game?

Absolutely. Playing the second and third isn't much different from playing a current gen game really. The first isn't amazing anymore but it's still a decent romp.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Can someone explain to me what exactly is off with the hit reactions in 3?

Enemies do not react to being shot at. Reminds me of an old school fps where the enemies will just fall down once their health bar reaches zero. It's unacceptable this got pass QA. Uncharted 2 never had this problem so it boggles the mind why ND thought this was a good idea.

I used to hate it because on harder difficulties it was just bullshit and I thought it took far too long. But I just finished UC2 and got through the boss in like 3rd try. Still not fun though. But the parts leading up to the boss fight are some of worst in the series. Does someone really find waves of bullet sponge enemies fun?
That's really only one section and they made it weirdly obtuse what you have to do to get the enemies to stop spawning because they will literally never stop unless you move to a certain part of the room.

During the original release I remember having a lot of trouble in
Shambhala
but it was weirdly one of the easiest parts of the game for me this go around. I don't know if I'm just better at games now than I was 6 years ago or if the 60 fps and much improved clarity of the image helped me so much more. I had much more trouble on the bridge area at The Monastery.

Fury451

Banned
just go around in circles.

Yep. Just beat that on Crushing last week- ran in a circle, didn't die once. Constantly lap and blindfire/aim alternately and you'll get it.

It's weird, because Crushing seems a lot easier due to control responsiveness/headshot ease or something. Just finished U3 on it too, and that gave me a heck of a time originally on PS3. Must be why they added Brutal.

Why?

Generally curious. I think it's fair and pretty well designed given Uncharted 2's limited mechanics.

They don't really get stumbled/interrupted by gunfire the same way as they did in the other 2 games (and this is the unarmoured enemies. They pretty much keep shooting unbothered until their health runs out and the drop in place more or less.

It's pretty noticeable playing the games back to back.

Chopper

My sweet-ass steelbook's just arrived. Looking forward to tucking into this. I'm right in thinking there's no gyro aiming though, right?

Enemies do not react to being shot at. Reminds me of an old school fps where the enemies will just fall down once their health bar reaches zero. It's unacceptable this got pass QA. Uncharted 2 never had this problem so it boggles the mind why ND thought this was a good idea.

Well, not gonna lie: didn't even notice ^^

My sweet-ass steelbook's just arrived. Looking forward to tucking into this. I'm right in thinking there's no gyro aiming though, right?

No gyro aiming my man. And I don't get the hate for the final boss in U2; I played through this game countless times as a young teenager and never had a problem at all, even on Crushing. I get that it mightn't be fun, but it's certainly not that hard. Completed it on Crushing the other day no sweat. Maybe it's just my being an Uncharted Veteran™.

Do tell. (Because I'm interested in it for all three. ;))

UC3, I started a new game on crushing and tried to activate the tweaks, but it said I had to finished the game in the current difficulty to use them.

What's the method?

Sorry for the late response!

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

1. Beat the game on at least Hard, then play through Crushing/Brutal (whichever you are trying to beat) until you get a gun in Chapter 1
2. Pause
3. Change the difficulty to whatever you have unlocked tweaks on
4. Enable the tweaks you want to use
5. Save and quit to the main menu
6. Go to Options and change the difficulty back to what you originally chose
7. Continue (Don't press start from this Chapter)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

1. Beat the game on at least Hard, then play through Crushing/Brutal (whichever you are trying to beat) until you get a gun in Chapter 1
2. Pause
3. Change the difficulty to whatever you have unlocked tweaks on
4. Enable the tweaks you want to use
5. Save and quit to the main menu
6. Go to Chapter Select from the main menu and change the difficulty back to what you originally chose on the Chapter you are on
7. Continue (Don't press start from this Chapter)

Uncharted 3: Drakes's Deception

Do the initial steps the same as 2, but once you get to the main menu (step 5), go to Chapter Select and put one of them on Crushing. You won't be able to choose the Chapter you quit from (4 is the first time you can do it), so I chose 1. It did something weird (or maybe intentional) where it put it on Explorer. Anyway, put it on Crushing and then go back up to Continue. Once the game loads, immediately pause and change it back to Brutal. It will say that it's going to restart the Checkpoint--select OK.

just go around in circles.

Just pelt him with bullets/grenades and it's over in less than 2 minutes. You don't even have to hit the blue stuff!

Big spoiler:
I really wasn't expecting nazi zombies, they just came out of nowhere. I learned the art of run and gun against those bastards.

This will never cease to amaze me. It's hinted at multiple times throughout the entire game. Off the top of my head:

- At the end of the jetski section
- While they're walking through the forest soon after, Elena says "Would you slow down? One of Eddie's goons could be here!" and there is a cutscene a few seconds later
- In the large underground puzzle room with the swinging lanterns and pulleys and chains system (there is an L2 hint and you see it in the distance)

But somehow, people are still surprised by the reveal, and some use this surprise to form a negative opinion about the game/story. It could not have been more obvious!

So I beat Uncharted 1 remastered and made a note of all the times it forebodes the reveal. Here's the rest, in addition to the ones I posted above:

1. Chapter 2 - "These people are worshipping the damn thing. At least I think they're people." - Sully to Nate

2. Chapter 3 - The captain "ripped to shreds" in the U-Boat

3. Chapter 7 - Eddie Raja says his men are being killed and "Can't take a piss without an armed guard."

4. Chapter 10 - Drake and Elena are going through the logbook and Drake comments that the statue page is the last page in the book.

5. Chapter 14 - Eddy saying that the island is cursed in the cutscene with Roman & Navarro

Floody

Just finished 3 and still don't really understand all the hate it gets. Is it as good as 2? No, but that doesn't make it bad. My only really big issue with it was the enemies having no reaction to getting shot, and the pacing not being all that good, but besides that, I thought it was pretty great, it had the best Drake out of the trilogy, and some of the best moments too.

Just finished 3 and still don't really understand all the hate it gets. Is it as good as 2? No, but that doesn't make it bad. My only really big issue with it was the enemies having no reaction to getting shot, and the pacing not being all that good, but besides that, I thought it was pretty great, it had the best Drake out of the trilogy, and some of the best moments too.

The keyword is "disappointment".

Edit: To clarify, I was only slightly disappointed about its shortcomings, but I can see why other people would have stronger feelings about it, especially after the press praised it almost as much as it did Uncharted 2.

Floody

The keyword is "disappointment".

Edit: To clarify, I was only slightly disappointed about its shortcomings, but I can see why other people would have stronger feelings about it, especially after the press praised it almost as much as it did Uncharted 2.

That's probably why then, I was sold at Naughty Dog and went on a media blackout, didn't pay any attention to the press, and didn't go in super hyped. I wish I did the same for 4, because after watching the 2 demos I can't wait.

Which one would you say are bullet sponges? Completed it on Crushing and had no problems. The blue guys only take two crossbow hits and armored guys are no match for power weapons and grenades.

Started playing UC3.

The puzzle in the tomb took me so long that the game asked me if I wanted to see the answer and I said fuck it and lo and behold, there was the answer (I was close anyways but yeah, that's the first puzzle to stump me badly). I'm enjoying the game but I feel like guns are a little more punchy and hand to hand combat is a bit sloppy at times but overall, I'm still enjoying it and wonder where all this was going. Playing as Teenage Drake was fun as well.

I finally got platinum trophy for all three games!

Personally I think all three games are great, but Uncharted 3 is the weakest. I would put Uncharted 1 (especially remastered one) over Uncharted 3. I just don't understand why they couldn't get pacing right for the 3rd game after they nailed it for the first 2...

For those of you who think that 3 holds up pretty well, what do you think about all the "slow walk" sequences? When I was playing the game for the second time (on crushing) I just held the left stick forward and occupied myself by checking my twitter feed :)

For those of you who think that 3 holds up pretty well, what do you think about all the "slow walk" sequences? When I was playing the game for the second time (on crushing) I just held the left stick forward and occupied myself by checking my twitter feed :)

Slow walk is an abomination and should be avoided at all costs. The developer should trust the player to slow down and consume interesting content, rather than forcing them.

Slow Walks are fine if they make sense. In the case of Uncharted, they're great because the best thing about the games are the characters and banter between each other.

Slow Walks are fine if they make sense. In the case of Uncharted, they're great because the best thing about the games are the characters and banter between each other.

Well in Uncharted 2 there are very few of them. Did they feel that there wasn't enough banter in that game? In Uncharted 3 those slow walks are waaay to slow and every time after first playthrough they are booooring...

Well in Uncharted 2 there are very few of them. Did they feel that there wasn't enough banter in that game? In Uncharted 3 those slow walks are waaay to slow and every time after first playthrough they are booooring...

Well I guess it's not for everyone then, I certainly enjoyed it even further in The Last of Us as well.

Personally I think all three games are great, but Uncharted 3 is the weakest. I would put Uncharted 1 (especially remastered one) over Uncharted 3. I just don't understand why they couldn't get pacing right for the 3rd game after they nailed it for the first 2...

Third one is so weird because some of the gun battles are so awesome
e.g. the desert area one, before you are rescued by Aladdin and the 40 thieves, and you have to shoot down the supports of the turret gun

And the
exploring and then infiltrating and then escape from the burning castle is just incredible but there is so little shooting gameplay in it

Whole game just feels cut down to [insert big set-piece here] and stuff.

But damn are those set pieces good..... and the technical aspect to the graphics and so on are incredible... my favourite area in the whole game has to be
before reaching the cruise ship and running along the stormy detached docks, so gud!

I just got to Chapter 14 in UC3 and while I've never thought it was as good as UC2 (which in its genre is as good as there has been IMO) I never got the why it has become such a punching bag and easy target for people to gang up on.

Playing through it now, it actually comes off better than my previous positive memory of it. I think it tries to do a few too many homages to UC2 (who can blame them?) and while I like the angle they take the story in, as of right now it basically comes down to characters yelling at Nate to quit. It's not as satisfying as the race that was Among Thieves. Marlowe's intentions are too obfuscated/uninteresting early on and I hate Talbot's character model so much I can't take him seriously.

Technically this game is an absolute juggernaut. It's staggering the stuff it is pulling off for a game that was designed on some fairly old tech at that point. I remember having a lot more problems with the combat on my original crushing play though and I don't know if that has to do with the aiming that was in that game at the time or what but the boat yard area went from frustration last gen to a lot of enjoyment this time. I was shocked how much I could actually stealth through that part. I also absolutely love the labyrinth they made out of that cargo ship. The different angles, the ups and downs. It's a great accomplishment.

There's been like 9 huge moments and I've enjoyed them all. I had totally forgotten how this game just 'goes to 11' any time it can. What a ride.

tl;dr: Has anyone's perception or enjoyment of Drake's Deception improved by playing this collection?

I actually think there should have been more "slow walk" sequences. It kind of annoyed me that when I wanted to go slowly the game either had Nate walk extremely weird or running straight away.

Played 1 for the first time, thought it held up really well outside of the jetski. Set pieces and melee weren't great but otherwise didn't feel dated at all.

Schryver

Played 1 for the first time, thought it held up really well outside of the jetski. Set pieces and melee weren't great but otherwise didn't feel dated at all.
I'm 3/4 through and feel the same pretty much. Melee was meh but not many chances to use it. Jet ski definitely has been the weakest but the second time it was fun-ish. Graphics are surprisingly impressive imo so can't wait to see what 2/3 look like o_O

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
The whole 'Sully being too old for this shit' thing is so underutilised in U3. I thought it was going to be great from what I remember from the original trailers, but nothing really comes of it. Really wish
he stayed dead at the end.

OneUh8

Yeah this is my first time playing these games as well and I thought Drakes Fortune held up really well. Enjoyed that game quite a bit. I am in the middle of U2 right now, and you can tell immediately it is a step up. I was surprised how much I liked Drakes Fortune after hearing it is the worst game of the 3 from so many.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The whole 'Sully being too old for this shit' thing is so underutilised in U3. I thought it was going to be great from what I remember from the original trailers, but nothing really comes of it. Really wish
he stayed dead at the end.
You're a monster.

Jigolo

I sure hope we can unlcok costumes within the game in Uncharted 4 like all of these rather then Sony/ND getting greedy and charging for DLC for that kind of stuff.

Well I guess it's not for everyone then, I certainly enjoyed it even further in The Last of Us as well.

I don't remember Last of Us having sequences where you walk THAT slow. I love banter between characters, I just don't like when the game limits my walking speed to the point where I feel like I'm watching really slow cutscene and I just need to pres one direction on the controller.

I actually think there should have been more "slow walk" sequences. It kind of annoyed me that when I wanted to go slowly the game either had Nate walk extremely weird or running straight away.

You can just press the left stick with less force and the character will walk slowly :)

fantomena

Finished all the games, didn't bother go for platinum in any of them though.

I used 6 hours and something in Uncharted, 8:39 hours in Uncharted 2 and 7 hours and something in Uncharted 3. Played on normal.

My ranking:

1) Uncharted 2
2) Uncharted
3) Uncharted 3

Ricky_R

Finished all the games, didn't bother go for platinum in any of them though.

I used 6 hours and something in Uncharted, 8:39 hours in Uncharted 2 and 7 hours and something in Uncharted 3. Played on normal.

My ranking:

1) Uncharted 2
2) Uncharted
3) Uncharted 3

First timer? If so, what do you think about the series overall?

Top Bottom