• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord |OT| Vanilla Force

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
iEfcMWR.png

tJShZlC.jpeg

uE8ZAH3.jpeg

ZsFh4RE.jpeg

3ER3WL3.gif
IdNo4Ur.gif
KswxCz2.gif
kaRhc0x.gif
mLPzs9c.gif

wuwFb8W.jpeg

W9yPFRI.jpeg

d9z27Us.jpeg

HjWMMv8.jpeg

dMQ28vQ.gif
BlJtCKw.gif
xapLaX7.gif
BgcsQNt.gif
pwRF0uz.gif

Ot0CVdB.jpeg

gYlXSTd.gif
wIJzE75.gif
RLoxXaA.gif
aTXkx0h.gif

YkmE6z0.jpeg

3wEigu7.jpeg

42c00Dm.jpeg

GIPmF3v.jpeg

Ge2NSU5.gif
B7qAw8g.gif
dqxgTuT.gif
RBgvZs0.gif

mCPj8BZ.jpeg

PMYV9GE.jpeg

N6Jk1UC.jpeg

W9DI4LQ.jpeg

q2TyjQt.gif
JxRQQGF.gif
NvIyNhs.gif
mBolTvP.gif

gNYDkUz.jpeg

teenGa3.jpeg

XMsVUmh.jpeg

1kI9J6V.jpeg

nk7PNON.gif
86YdyTD.gif
FQfqKVa.gif
mAmlOpY.gif

DsZnvML.jpeg

oUYS3aY.jpeg

snqEd9g.jpeg

DpJn4mz.jpeg

iSEweaP.jpeg

UTQR8IS.jpeg

P9oPCvY.jpeg

9qcQr2i.png
P7Tt0fo.png

mGVdqkK.gif
UovtAu8.gif

lHl4QKc.png
U8XN55K.png

vUPSvh4.gif
qsZFaWf.gif

Dhx3EvE.jpeg

rh1rkUk.jpeg
LNMzX1b.png
zKB5vLp.jpeg

7YVUH8v.jpeg

QZC7WfK.jpg

40uTHZ8.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I might have messed up by pre-ordering the game from outside the country (albeit within schengen area) because even though my copy has shipped early this morning there's a good chance it might not arrive in time for release day tomorrow.

And usually these fucks at DPD (courier company) don't do deliveries over the weekend so if it doesn't arrive tomorrow then I'll have to wait till Monday to get my Unicorn Overlord copy delivered. :messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I think I might have messed up by pre-ordering the game from outside the country (albeit within schengen area) because even though my copy has shipped early this morning there's a good chance it might not arrive in time for release day tomorrow.

And usually these fucks at DPD (courier company) don't do deliveries over the weekend so if it doesn't arrive tomorrow then I'll have to wait till Monday to get my Unicorn Overlord copy delivered. :messenger_hushed:
Since my copy has been delayed until next month, I'm gonna just keep that pre-order pending and buy a digital copy as well. :p

Labadal

Since I got the game one day early, I will shut up, and go play some more.

If you liked the demo and want more of that, you will not be disappointed. I might share some thoughts tomorrow evening, when I have even more hours on record.

near

Gold Member
Did you pre-order the premium (CE) edition by any chance? I heard those are getting delayed in quite a few places.

Just the standard PS4 Asia version.

Labadal

Fair warning to you all: When you get further into the game, be sure to have at least someone guarding your base. There will be flying units that can reach it even if there are mountains. Battle maps are a lot bigger than at the start of the game. All is well so far. I'd advise people to play above normal difficulty if they want a challenge.

I am going into this 99.9% blind. When it was announced, I wrote it off as a Fire Emblem clone. I now understand it to be something else.

I ordered a PS5 disc from my local shop. I downloaded the demo, but don't think I will even play it. I'll just grab my copy at 10AM and jump straight in.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So do the battles actually happen in 2D? This looks so good and I love Vanilla so much (own all of their games) but I just suck so bad at tactical JRPGS 😔

Reactions: Isa

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The Collector's Monarch edition for Switch was sold out everywhere, but it popped back in stock at Amazon for a little bit tonight and I put in an order. There's no estimated delivery date. Hoping they'll come through regardless of how long it takes.🤞I don't usually give a shit about physical games, but I really like the artbook and the card game looks cool, too.

PS5 version is still in stock, but I have the digital edition.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Pejo

The Collector's Monarch edition for Switch was sold out everywhere, but it popped back in stock at Amazon for a little bit tonight and I put in an order. There's no estimated delivery date. Hoping they'll come through regardless of how long it takes.🤞I don't usually give a shit about physical games, but I really like the artbook and the card game looks cool, too.

PS5 version is still in stock, but I have the digital edition.:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Good luck! I was trying to keep an eye out for any restocks of the Monarch edition but gave up and went standard.

ranmafan

Hope you get it. I know I’ll probably will be down about it more in the future as I really wanted that monarch edition, but I just couldn’t get it in the end. Was either just get that and miss out on other games or get the games I wanted this year. If only they sold that card game separately in the future, that would be nice. Still I’m happy I have the game at least and can play this weekend.

I was able to create a work that I would like to pass on to my adolescent self, who was supported by games. I would like to sincerely thank everyone who was involved in the production.
We believe that a game is only complete if there are people who play it, so we hope that we can meet everyone's expectations. (Director: Noma)

Unicorn Overlord Release Commemorative Art - Launch Day 🥳

Illustrated by: Director, Character Designer and Programmer Takafumi Noma

GICAp68aMAAdC0M

Last edited:
Via Noisy Pixel

Famitsu recently interviewed Unicorn Overlord director and character designer Takashi Noma, lead game planner Wataru Nakanishi, and Atlus producer Akiyasu Yamamoto in the weekly magazine #1840. The interview discussed several facets of the title, including the background for the game’s development.

Alongside trivia emphasizing how it took around a decade since the project’s conceptualization to finalize and release, Noma revealed that Unicorn Overlord features over 100 background graphics for the battle scenes alone. What makes this even more noteworthy is how players are able to skip battle animations entirely, so there’s a chance some players won’t even see these backgrounds. Some staff suggested not allowing animation skipping, but it was eventually implemented to reduce frustration.

You can view a translation of this exchange below via Persona Central.

I was surprised to find out that you can skip battles. The battle scenes, which required a large amount of work, are something creators would definitely want players to see. Did you prioritize the game’s playability over this aspect?

Noma
: There are actually over 100 background graphics for the battle scenes. Still, we made it possible to skip them. We were aware that players might not see them all. Since it’s a strategy game, we want it to progress smoothly. Some of our staff members suggested not allowing skipping, but it’s better for players to enjoy the game without frustration. You can skip everything if you want, or just watch your favorite characters in action.

In this game, even if you only see the battle results, the reasons for winning or losing might not be clear, so there will be opportunities to analyze battle scenes eventually. That’s why introducing the skip feature was okay. There’s also a fast-forward function, so players who want to enjoy the graphics can experience it in different ways.

You can view Persona Central’s coverage for the fully translated interview, which covers various other topics.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Via Noisy Pixel

Famitsu recently interviewed Unicorn Overlord director and character designer Takashi Noma, lead game planner Wataru Nakanishi, and Atlus producer Akiyasu Yamamoto in the weekly magazine #1840. The interview discussed several facets of the title, including the background for the game’s development.

Alongside trivia emphasizing how it took around a decade since the project’s conceptualization to finalize and release, Noma revealed that Unicorn Overlord features over 100 background graphics for the battle scenes alone. What makes this even more noteworthy is how players are able to skip battle animations entirely, so there’s a chance some players won’t even see these backgrounds. Some staff suggested not allowing animation skipping, but it was eventually implemented to reduce frustration.

You can view a translation of this exchange below via Persona Central.

You can view Persona Central’s coverage for the fully translated interview, which covers various other topics.
I'm not skipping any battle animations, thats how I played all SRPG and tactics games.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Looks like the Monarch Edition is back in stock on Amazon. It’s weird that my original order is still labeled as unknown delivery date and “we’ll update when we have more stock”, but the newly added stock shows delivery on the 13th. I just ordered another Switch version and I’ll just cancel the other order or return it.

At first it said 6 left, now it says 17. 👌 Kind of funny the Standard edition sold out at least temporarily. Hopefully this game does really well.

Last edited:

killatopak

I'm not skipping any battle animations, thats how I played all SRPG and tactics games.
You play SRW as well right? Respect. Some turns take too long for me once I use a dodge tank or a super with iron wall. Especially with stages with tons of grunts.

On UO though, I feel like it’s not as tedious as that.

Top Bottom