• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unicorn Overlord Countdown Commemorative Art - 8 days

Art by: Vanillaware designer Rio Ikegami who did design role in GrimGrimoire OnceMore.

GG3BKy7bYAAHMjW

Last edited:

Davevil

Played about twenty minutes of the demo, I stopped because it seems like a game from the past (in the good sense of the term)
I can't wait to play the full game and finish it before Eiyuden Chronicle arrives

Reactions: Isa

Needlecrash

So far, I'm loving the demo. I get some Fire Emblem vibes with a hint of Tactics Ogre (I never played Ogre Battle before). Art is gorgeous, as expected from a Vanillaware title. Music is solid, gameplay is kinda slow at the start but definitely picks up later. Considering is coming out a week after Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, here's to hoping it leads to decent sales.

Also, seeing the different races of characters here was a VERY pleasant surprise.

killatopak

Played a bit more and reached the overworld. Is there a grind to this game? Just asking so I can plan on who kills who with the exp valor and gold accesories if there's a finite amount. Overworld enemies just seem to give honor and no xp.

• Thoughtful

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Played a bit more and reached the overworld. Is there a grind to this game? Just asking so I can plan on who kills who with the exp valor and gold accesories if there's a finite amount. Overworld enemies just seem to give honor and no xp.
I got the impression the game is a series of challenges based on the story beats instead of random encounters, but maybe that changes later on. You can grind a little during battles but the battles are time limited and honestly it seems to be more about thinking through your strategy and unit composition instead of overwhelming with force.

killatopak

I got the impression the game is a series of challenges based on the story beats instead of random encounters, but maybe that changes later on. You can grind a little during battles but the battles are time limited and honestly it seems to be more about thinking through your strategy and unit composition instead of overwhelming with force.
Honestly it seems to be both from what I've seen. Time is like the biggest factor in score on story battles and that directly translates to the rewards. I can't help but think the game wants me to bum rush people with cavalry. Doesn't help that the initial cavalry units are super strong either by being 20 levels higher than everyone else or by featuring a skill that lets you hit twice per turn. This isn't even mentioning the fact of their high movement speed if they're the leader. Jist set up the rest of your units normally but keep a cavalry as the leader.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Honestly it seems to be both from what I've seen. Time is like the biggest factor in score on story battles and that directly translates to the rewards. I can't help but think the game wants me to bum rush people with cavalry. Doesn't help that the initial cavalry units are super strong either by being 20 levels higher than everyone else or by featuring a skill that lets you hit twice per turn. This isn't even mentioning the fact of their high movement speed if they're the leader. Jist set up the rest of your units normally but keep a cavalry as the leader.
Pure speculation, but I feel like Josef (max level calvary you start with) will be taken away as part of the early story.

Cavalry doesn't do much damage against the big shielded units and do have a couple of weaknesses. I'm hoping the strategy aspect gets more complex as the game progresses.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It could just be my eyes, but it seemed after playing the PS4 and PS5 versions that art (especially characters) on the PS5 version seemed noticeably less blocky and higher res.

Isa

It could just be my eyes, but it seemed after playing the PS4 and PS5 versions that art (especially characters) on the PS5 version seemed noticeably less blocky and higher res.
Yeah I noticed that too, also the Switch vs PS5/SX versions with the hub art like the Tavern was clearer overall. Not bad but a noticeable improvement on newer hardware.

Wish this was out already.

kingpotato

I played Switch and PS5 demos back to back and the PS5 version was definitely higher resolution/more clear to me. I also thought the effects during battle were more vibrant on PS5.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I will buy this game on Day 1 if it gets above an 87 on Metacritic or Opencritic. I am doing this to mend the rift that has formed between Danjin44 Danjin44 and myself over the past few months.
There is a good 7 hour demo, play it and see if you like the game or not.

It feels like people trust “score” over their own opinion.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There is a good 7 hour demo, play it and see if you like the game or not.

It feels people trust “score” over their own opinion.

I played the demo a few hours. I wish the story / dialogue was better but I do enjoy the gameplay to a degree. It kind of put me on the fence. Plus, I feel like it's a symbolic olive branch of sorts between you and myself. We need to get things back on track.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
One thing I didn't enjoy from the demo was how every battle area felt like an amorphous, non descript puzzle piece. I can travel N, S, E, and W but each direction quickly smacks you with "Defeat this puzzle piece to unlock this character class".

It doesn't give you a strong long term goal to build towards, which may be remedied in the full game or it may be a missed opportunity. The towns / cities don't give you that "I've been on a long journey, now I need to rest, level up, buy equipment, meet new characters, unwrap new story" feeling that many RPGs give you. It's almost like the whole game is just 30 minute strategy puzzles glued to eachother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom