• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US leaks name of Manchester bomber, "irritating" the UK

Its been been 2 days and they were still hiding the suspects name? I cant imagine that was to protect an ongoing investigation. If anything releasing his name and face would lead to him being tracked down sooner.

They found him (or bits of him) immediately. The point here is that he probably had some associates who may have been prematurely alerted to the fact that people were on to them.

No offense, but it's the UK's fault for telling reporters in the first place.

That was really stupid of them if they were still investigating.

That's 100% the UK investigator's fault.

UK Security services told US Security services, who leaked it to the US reporters, which is where UK reporters got it from until official confirmation.

It is the UK's fault for trusting US Security services to be competent tho

I like leaks but not of this variety, interfering in counter-terrorism work. Guess this is what they mean by 'America First'.

On the bright side, at least 'US officials' leaked something that was factually correct and not speculative random thoughts.

Maximo

Pretty disgusting to see the Australia 7 news this morning *Here is THE FACE OF EVIL* *This photo is one of the victims, AN 8 YEAR OLD GIRL!!* *Here are but many photos of the multiple victims BY THIS MAN!" And then went on a fucking whole segment about the Cafe Seige that happened 3 years ago.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
See it's stuff like this that should be investigated and punished. There was no reason for any US intelligence service to leak this to the US media. It means nothing to them and risked blowing an ongoing operation in another country.

to fact the home office said anything publicly must mean they're absolutely livid privately.

In a world where Trump is alienating traditional western allies and cosying up to Communist and Arabic states (whilst appealing to the lowest voters who hate 'commies and Muslims) barely anything surprises me anymore other than the stupidity of American voters! Trump is blatantly ruining your country and people are allowing it! and now it seems he's using the blood of victims of terror to further his agenda of "look look the bad Muslin did it, ban immigrants" ignoring he was british born

I feel sick

The media should be ashamed of itself, but they won't because it was all for ratings..

In a world where Trump is alienating traditional western allies and cosying up to Communist and Arabic states (whilst appealing to the lowest voters who hate 'commies and Muslims) barely anything surprises me anymore other than the stupidity of American voters! Trump is blatantly ruining your country and people are allowing it! and now it seems he's using the blood of victims of terror to further his agenda of "look look the bad Muslin did it, ban immigrants" ignoring he was british born

I feel sick

He actually isn't using this to his advantage believe or not, but then again he's out of the country, so there's nothing he take advantage of.

trembli0s

The people blaming Trump in here crack me up.

If anything, the last week has shown that the US intelligence apparatus needs to be scaled down drastically as they've blown the cover of their Chinese operatives during the Obama administration and are, frankly, leaking everything in sight. There is a massive issue with too many people having access to information and that needs to be rectified quickly.

Hari Seldon

The probability that something will leak goes up exponentially the more people you share it with. Especially when every journalist around is gunning for it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Fucking US officials and media alike need to be ashamed of themselves, but everything for a quick scoop, amirite? The investigation is still fresh and they're all over them like fucking vultures.

You can't blame the media for this one.

They are trying to fucking find out if this dude has accomplices... and now the fucking US has any potential peeps on red alert. They were low key for a reason.

This fucking country continues to piss me off.

Damaniel

Banned
Shameful and really indicative at how unregulated and fucked up the News is in the US.

You can't really do anything about it though. The media has really broad latitude to report on nearly anything they want due to the First Amendment (classified information being a big exception) - that's why news outlets that consistently push slanted news, conspiracy theories and outright lies (Fox, Breitbart, etc.) can do so with impunity. Any law or action that attempted to curb this kind of behavior even a little bit would be struck down 9-0 in the Supreme Court.

UberTag

Memo to every other country on the planet.
Stop telling the United States shit you don't want getting leaked.

Dynomutt

UK Security services told US Security services, who leaked it to the US reporters, which is where UK reporters got it from until official confirmation.

It is the UK's fault for trusting US Security services to be competent tho

Be very careful with this word. Because this the 2nd maybe 3rd incident where an individual was on a their radar (UK) or a list and committed such an act.

So one could speak to the competency of UK agencies and law enforcement to stop these acts. But this is not what's it's about. RIP to the victims shame to those who leaked this without regard.

Hello pot.

Real shitshow.
Far from 'a pot calling the kettle black.'

There's some positivity in UK politics lately, especially with country warming to Labour due to a hope filled manifesto.

As I've said on this forum before, the US is one big parody right now. It's past the point of where people found it funny, it's down right terrifying now.

TTOOLL

There's no mention of Trump in the article and yet by reading this thread only one would thing Trump himself leaked the name of that scumbag. Amazing.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Its been been 2 days and they were still hiding the suspects name? I cant imagine that was to protect an ongoing investigation. If anything releasing his name and face would lead to him being tracked down sooner.

You should be embarrassed to have posted such a moronic comment. Do some basic research into the topic before posting

Usobuko

Banned
They also play a substantial role in current refugee crisis but stay on the fence via geographical reason and watch Europe clean up the mess.

Right or wrong?

Trump America don't give a shit.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Fuck US officials leaking this. And fuck US media for reporting everything instantly without regards to the developing situation.

Maybe we should shut out the US for the time being.

The last couple of months have shown us that the US press have an incredible number of connections to people in the US government, FBI and CIA who are willing to leak information. But when it's damaging to Trump no one here cares that government officials are completely unable to keep secrets.

I can understand why they would want to keep all of their cards as close to the vest as possible. I get that. But I think any of his associates already know who blew themselves up. And anyone of even moderate intelligence would figure that the police knew the identity of the bomber in less than 12 hours. If they arent smart enough to already know those things then you arent going to have much trouble finding them anyway.

The last couple of months have shown us that the US press have an incredible number of connections to people in the US government, FBI and CIA who are willing to leak information. But when it's damaging to Trump no one here cares that government officials are completely unable to keep secrets.

Most "leaks" are intentional. Troop movements here, carrier group moving there, this is another way that countries communicate to each other. Usually threats or some kind of notice that they dont like what you are doing. Other times it just makes more sense to do it that way rather than hold a conference, or even before a press conference to get the message out there and stirring.

Sure this and the trump stuff are actual leask. But usually when you hear something "leak" it's because someone much higher up asked for that "leak".

Pro Tip: Nearly every leak for mass media, that being movies, games, music and the like, are pretty much never actual leaks. Saying something has "leaked" is just another form of advertising that only works on the most mush headed of humans. Dumb people just see that word and they react like a well trained dog.

My friends in detective and criminal investigative branches would laugh at this if it weren't for you thinking a suicide bomber somehow escaped. I think at that point in the post they'd just be disappointed instead. You know nothing of that style of investigation.

Pretty disgusting to see the Australia 7 news this morning *Here is THE FACE OF EVIL* *This photo is one of the victims, AN 8 YEAR OLD GIRL!!* *Here are but many photos of the multiple victims BY THIS MAN!" And then went on a fucking whole segment about the Cafe Seige that happened 3 years ago.

Glad I'm currently out of the country and don't use 7, 9 or 10 for news as much as possible.

WinFonda

while i get the sensitive nature of this sorta stuff, in the US at least, we're fairly accustomed to the media leaking names and info before the government does

our media has our officials by the balls, and that has some upsides and downsides

EGM1966

I can understand why they would want to keep all of their cards as close to the vest as possible. I get that. But I think any of his associates already know who blew themselves up. And anyone of even moderate intelligence would figure that the police new the identity of the bomber in less than 12 hours. If they arent smart enough to already know those things then you arent going to have much trouble finding them anyway
Thats not a sensible assumption. You don't give up any advantage. If there are four accomplices it just takes one being a little complacent because they're not aware his identity is known to be able to take advantage. Another outcome is that as part of a network the others accelerate their plans because they know the investigation has progressed to point of knowing his identity.

It was a foolish leak because while it might not have much impact it also could.

These probabilities involve terror acts so you never give up any possible advantage and certainly not this stupidly.

Personally I do doubt it's going to make much difference but it's not work the risk.

What's the big deal with them leaking the name? At least that is what I thought at first, and within 30 seconds of stepping into an internet forum I've been educated and realize that leaking this was a pretty ignorant and selfish move. And I would hope the media would take more than 30 seconds to research and ponder a decision.

Maledict

What's the big deal with them leaking the name? At least that is what I thought at first, and within 30 seconds of stepping into an internet forum I've been educated and realize that leaking this was a pretty ignorant and selfish move. And I would hope the media would take more than 30 seconds to research and ponder a decision.

The thing that's astonishing, and actually shows how fucked up this is, is that the British media had the name yesterday morning. And none of them printed it. The Daily Fucking Mail had more integrity than big name news companies like NBC. A newspaper that's banned on this site because it's so full of shit knows better than to jeapordise an ongoing terrorist investigation compared to US officials and US mainstream press.

The thing that's astonishing, and actually shows how fucked up this is, is that the British media had the name yesterday morning. And none of them printed it. The Daily Fucking Mail had more integrity than big name news companies like NBC. A newspaper that's banned on this site because it's so full of shit knows better than to jeapordise an ongoing terrorist investigation compared to US officials and US mainstream press.
lol damn

Top Bottom