• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US leaks name of Manchester bomber, "irritating" the UK

New York Times just published leaked pictures of the bomb.

Come on man this is embarrassing.

And they're not blurry pictures that some bystander happened to snap or anything, they're the pictures taken by the investigators as evidence. It's incredibly worrying, as from here it looks like the US intelligence services are compromised.

Honestly at this point it seems the admin is fucking up so bad just to bait a terrorist attack so they can feel justified consolidating power further.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
At this point, the US is pretty much the annoying asshole character in every film, who tries to do his best to ruin everything for everyone else because of selfishness, greed, or sheer idiocy.

Fucking stop it.

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...l-detonator-salman-abedi-images-a7754281.html

Manchester bombing: Photos of device used in terror attack revealed in suspected leak

Images emerge just hours after Home Secretary Amber Rudd warned US against sharing details of investigation ahead of UK

giphy.gif

MIMIC

Banned
At this point, nobody has any restraint. Government officials will blab anything to the media, and the media goes right ahead and publishes it.

scotcheggz

Am I reading this right that the US has leaked more stuff tonight? The pictures of bomb debris aparrently.

Managing to fuck up just a few hours after being asked not to fuck up again....

Yeah, I'm pissed off about this too.

Our security services are some of the best in the world, and the last thing we need after a significant terrorist attack is shit being leaked to US press.

I'd hope that there are serious words being had right now.

I remember a couple of years ago during the Dallas shooting the police took longer than usual to release the name of the perpetrator and CNN newscasters had a pretty thinly veiled tantrum. They just kept repeating "The police have YET to disclose the name. We STILL don't know who the shooter is. The police do NOT want to say!" Just thirsty as fuck for the police to release the info. You could tell they were clearly chomping at the bit to dig into the guy and do their "profile", eclipsing coverage of the victims in favor of blasting the guy's name and face and affiliations and parenting and upbringing etc. etc. etc. all over their broadcast.

Fucking disgusting. The US media's obsession of identifying perpetrators of large-scale crimes is just appalling.

at a certain point it gets confusing. who deserves access to sensitive material? we are told whistleblowers like Snowden and Manning put people's lives at risk, called traitors adn sent to exile threatened with prison and death while the media does the same thing and gets rewarded for it (yay bonuses for exclusives).

and of course now you have the media leaking stuff that the president leaked, or maybe before the president leaked it. so by the time the public hears about something it, it has already been compromised and commodified a number of ways over. but this has been going on for a long time. ~15 years ago WaPo outed Valerie Plame. her career was ended, the source Libby got in legal trouble but WaPo got off scott free and is still around leaking shit as if they know what is in our best interest.

maybe we can look at the bright side. if the future really is a william gibson cyberpunk novel then transparency (voluntary or just through greed/stupidity) may yet make the world a safer place.

manfestival

The initial responses(outrage culture) in these type of threads just disappoints me more than the actual content of the initial post.

The 24 hours news cycle creates this shit, that's not a excuse its practically a fact that in america the news has to be out first regardless of if its true or should be out there.

The initial responses(outrage culture) in these type of threads just disappoints me more than the actual content of the initial post.
The outrage against the leak of the culprits identity has people rightfully pissed, the photos seem insensitive to put out so soon however that differs from person to person.

The "America is the real terrorist" posts is knee jerk and not to be taken serious.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
some updates and comments

BBC Defence Editor believes it was shared by the FBI but doesn't elaborate (but I think it's clear he knows more)

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/867495568666378240

The National Police Chiefs' Council

"unauthorised disclosure of potential evidence" to US media about the Manchester bombing investigation "undermines our investigations and the confidence of victims, witnesses and their families."

Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham speaking to the BBC

"It troubles me. On Monday evening when the reports were first coming through to me, I agreed with the chief constable and others we would take a cautious approach to putting public information out because we wouldn't want to get anything wrong or compromise the police investigation.

"And yet the first reports were coming seemingly out of the United States. So that is concerning because obviously you want international co-operation when it comes to sharing of information because events like this can have that broader dimension.

"But it worries me greatly and in fact I made known my concerns about it to the US ambassador. It's not acceptable to me that, you know, here there is a live investigation taking place, we cannot have information being put in the public domain that's not in the direct control of the British police and security services."

everyone is still being very diplomatic about it but you can sense the outrage. The leak of those pictures in particular is not going down well here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Besides this handwaving comment, do you have an actual opinion about leaking sensitive info belonging to another country?

Still not clear on what was lost by revealing the name early. Obviously any associates of his directly involved would have already known they would identify him within hours. Were they afraid his family might be unaware of his crime but start destroying evidence once they heard he was involved? It seems likely this is at least in part to deflect from the fact that the suspect was flagged so many times for extremist connections but nothing was done about it. Seems to be working well here.

danm999

Still not clear on what was lost by revealing the name early. Obviously any associates of his directly involved would have already known they would identify him within hours. Were they afraid his family might be unaware of his crime but start destroying evidence once they heard he was involved? It seems likely this is at least in part to deflect from the fact that the suspect was flagged so many times for extremist connections but nothing was done about it. Seems to be working well here.

There are any number of scenarios you can pretty easily imagine where this needless disclosure hurts counter terrorism efforts.

For example, he may have had associates that had no idea what he planned but got a heads up to cover their asses thanks to the US media.

Top Bottom