• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2016 [OT] Bodies ache, but New York will not wait. [Tennis]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
Really glad for Angie, I have always liked her. I fought an American journo back in January because he called her a "one off" lol. Vindicated!

chadskin

She's 28 and won 2 GS.

If she wins the CYGS every year until she's 33 then yeah maybe. :p

I'm really just hoping Kerber's successes are able to reignite the Germans' love for tennis. It used to be a juggernaut alongside football and F1 here but it feels like it has slid a bit into obscurity since the good old days™ of Steffi and Boris when seemingly everyone was glued to the TV to watch them play.

Close one.
After that Rio defeat, another big final loss would have ruined my mood. :D
Now if she could end the year as no. 1, that sure would be nice.

It was actually very noticeable to me how strange an intense, close women's Slam final is when both players are quiet on court. Serena/Sharapova/Vika are always so loud it felt eerie.

I thought Pliskova was getting the upper hand when she went up 3-1 and Kerber was starting to make a bunch of errors, but the forehand down the line Kerber nailed at 30-30 two games later seemed to energise her completely before Pliskova lost her nerve. Good to see Kerber back up world #1 with her second Slam. She's the first player to win both hard court Slams in the same season since... Martina Hingis, 1997. Both players were clearly struggling in the humidity and the quality dropped as it went on as a result (first Pliskova, then Kerber, began rationing their efforts out across the more important points after the first hour or so).

I'm really just hoping Kerber's successes are able to reignite the Germans' love for tennis. It used to be a juggernaut alongside football and F1 here but it feels like it has slid a bit into obscurity since the good old days™ of Steffi and Boris when seemingly everyone was glued to the TV to watch them play.

that's the main reason why i root for her and other germans too. i'd love if it became big again in germany.

Now if she could end the year as no. 1, that sure would be nice.

looking at the rankings that's basically a done deal, she has not a lot of ranking points to defend. Serena is 1700 points behind and while she has no points to defend for the rest of the year i can't see her playing all that much.

Muguruza is 3000 points behind, she would have to win every tournament left in the year.

d+pad

So happy for Angelique. You go girl. Keep winning.

I'm happy for both ladies. Kerber's a great personality for the tour, plus her game is fun to watch--especially when she's facing a big hitter. As for Pliskova, who doesn't love watching someone slam an ace or bat groundie after groundie by her opponents--all while barely moving? (I swear, she has some of the "easiest power" I've ever seen in the women's game.) Here's hoping Angie can keep winning--and keep that #1 ranking for a good long while--and Karolina can use her last few tournament runs to challenge for lots of big titles in the years to come :)

Ricker

Tennis is alive again... ;)

Oh and grats to Felix Auger Aliassime,our Canadian boy won the Junior US Open singles,wooo.

I'll be with you till the end Dipro

Bptq1Zh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom