• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Used market cost Heavy Rain 1m sales

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dream believes it lost one million customers, and "between €5 and €10 million", to second-hand sales.

"I can take just one example of Heavy Rain," Quantic Dream co-founder Guillaume de Fondaumiere told GamesIndustry.biz. "We basically sold to date approximately two million units. We know from the Trophy system that probably more than three million people bought this game and played it.

"On my small level it's a million people playing my game without giving me one cent. And my calculation is, as Quantic Dream, I lost between €5 and €10 million worth of royalties because of second-hand gaming."

At the heart of the argument, believes Fondaumiere, is price.

"Now, are games too expensive?" he asked.

"I've always said that games are probably too expensive, so there's probably a right level here to find, and we need to discuss this all together and try to find a way to reconcile consumer expectations, retail expectations and also the expectations of the publisher and the developers to make this business a worthwhile business."

Fondaumiere believes the global recession gave rise to the second-hand video game market. He understands that without it, less games would probably have been bought, due to the removal of trade-in discounts.

But, at the moment, "we're basically all shooting ourselves in the foot", he declared.

"Because when developers and publishers alike are going to see that they can't make a living out of producing games that are sold through retail channels, because of second-hand gaming, they will simply stop making these games," he said, or move exclusively online.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-12-used-market-cost-heavy-rain-1m-sales

Wow, lol. He really doesn't understand the second hand market.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
New copies should have come with a one-use code that disables the voice of Ethan Mars.

Danielsan

"Playing my game"

Get the fuck over yourself man. Our game, you twat.
Also lent my copy to a friend of mine. He finished it. Tough shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
SmokyDave said:
How did he rule out two or more people in the same household playing the same copy?
The majority of game company people think everyone who didn't buy their own copy is a dirty thief. HOW DARE YOU SHARE

But of course, WE'RE the self-entitled ones.

More like 1 million people who didn't think your game was worth keeping and 1 million people who didn't think your game was worth buying new.

jgminto

Well there is also rentals and more than 1 person per household. I do hate the second hand market and try to avoid it whenever I can. Way worse than pirates.

Complaining about used games sales is the only thing more irritating than publishers blaming piracy for their shitacular game failing to sell 4 million units.

onken

Yeah but we have no idea how many of those are loans, multiple accounts, people that borrowed it and went on to buy it themselves etc. That would put the second hand rate at well under 30% I reckon, which is actually a lot lower than I would have thought really.

Teknopathetic said:
More like 1 million people who didn't think your game was worth keeping and 1 million people who didn't think your game was worth buying new.
i borrowed it from my friend, and i even felt ripped off :(

eek5

"I would like people to play it once … because that’s life. Life you can only play once … I would like people to have this experience that way," explains Cage. "I’m fine with [people reloading saves to avoid bad endings], but the right way to enjoy Heavy Rain is really to make one thing because it’s going to be your story. It’s going to be unique to you. It’s really the story you decided to write … I think playing it several times is also a way to kill the magic of it."

:lol

BY2K

Membero Americo
"On my small level it's a million people playing my game without giving me one cent. And my calculation is, as Quantic Dream, I lost between €5 and €10 million worth of royalties because of second-hand gaming."

Jesus Christ, who the hell does he think he is!? How more selfish do you need to be...

daviyoung

Banned
I lost between €5 and €10 million worth of royalties because of second-hand gaming

Oh to be a struggling artist with the weight of the world on your shoulders. He must know how van Gogh felt.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
jgminto said:
Well there is also rentals and more than 1 person per household. I do hate the second hand market and try to avoid it whenever I can. Way worse than pirates.
L O L

The Praiseworthy said:
Heavy Rain was pure epic... I don't understand why it's so cool to hate it now?

Well I understand the hate for the story or at least the way it was told, but other than that it really was one of my favorite games this gen.

Noshino

Danielsan said:
"Playing my game"

Get the fuck over yourself man. Our game, you twat.
Also lent my copy to a friend of mine. He finished it. Tough shit Cage.

Just like movies, books, and every other for of entertainment... despite the fact that you bought a unit, its still their game.

Oh, and this isn't Cage lol

zoner said:
The majority of game company people think everyone who didn't buy their own copy is a dirty thief. HOW DARE YOU SHARE

But of course, WE'RE the self-entitled ones.

Sharing isn't the same, actually I don't recall anyone complaining about sharing games (not psn game sharing)

duckroll

Man, remind me that if I ever buy a game that this guy works on, I'll make it a point to lend my game to as many friends as possible so they don't have to give him a cent either. Self-righteous prick.

Mithos

"I would like people to play it once … because that’s life. Life you can only play once … I would like people to have this experience that way," explains Cage. "I’m fine with [people reloading saves to avoid bad endings], but the right way to enjoy Heavy Rain is really to make one thing because it’s going to be your story. It’s going to be unique to you. It’s really the story you decided to write … I think playing it several times is also a way to kill the magic of it."
All Endings Trophy/Achievement says HI!

Maybe not add trophies/achievements that need different routes then crazy man. ^^

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Noshino said:
Just like movies, books, and every other for of entertainment... despite the fact that you bought a unit, its still their game.

Oh, and this isn't Cage lol

Sharing isn't the same, actually I don't recall anyone complaining about sharing games (not psn game sharing)
Of course not. That'll be after they're done crying about the used market. 'Amazon sales made us lose a bunch of money :'('

Zaptruder

Banned
ITT: Neogaffers claw wildly at the proverbial face of another developer who speaks out against the used game market.

My take: Whether the developers are right or wrong on the subject, you're already seeing economic pressure towards developers to shaft the used games market, be it the use of single use codes or an increased emphasis on digital distribution. This pressure will simply continue to grow, until we reach the point where the physical games market is deprecated and the issue of used games and the brick and mortar stores that carry them, brushed aside into niches - as the market's ability to economically support the large gaming chains of today continue to dry up.

i can't wait for them to get rid of the retail middleman so they can offer us lower prices while still making more money because of an increased slice of the pie for them!

dwu8991

Banned
duckroll said:

Man, remind me that if I ever buy a game that this guy works on, I'll make it a point to lend my game to as many friends as possible so they don't have to give him a cent either. Self-righteous prick.

Both of you sound arrogant.

TGMIII

The Praiseworthy said:
Heavy Rain was pure epic... I don't understand why it's so cool to hate it now?

And thank god I never buys a used games.

People have been shitting on it from day one and rightfully so, I don't actually know how people dealt with the piss poor voice acting to begin with.

The Faceless Master said:
i can't wait for them to get rid of the retail middleman so they can offer us lower prices while still making more money because of an increased slice of the pie for them!

Increased share, definitely. Lower prices, very unlikely. With Steam it works because there's competition and aggressive sales but on the closed ecosystem of consoles, DD is probably going to be 50/60USD for new releases for a long time.

The Faceless Master said:

You mean get rid of retail middleman, while keeping the same price, thus earning more money?

jgminto said:
I do hate the second hand market and try to avoid it whenever I can. Way worse than pirates.

You for real? Perfect consumer right there.

DR2K

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

Or 1 million people wanted to save $5-10. It's almost always this reason in regards to a used purchase. I primarily buy used because of it.

The fact that HR managed to sell more than a 100k is one of the biggest shockers in gaming. Well deserved though.

Top Bottom