• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve CES Conference January 6. 8pm EST/5pm PST [Ended in 7 minutes]

DSC_0041.jpg

Thanks, man.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I dunno how I feel about letting manufacturers make their own controllers, I feel like that's the one place where uniformity would be a good thing.

They took a sheet off of a table and revealed some black and white boxes of varying sizes.

Hahahahaha, oh man. People always talk about "drop the mic" hypotheticals for these press events and conferences but Valve does one and it totally tanks. And to think, there's only one thing they actually had to say to make that a reality.

Durante

A speech where the amount of information presented actually warrants the amount of time spent on it? I wish more people (and particularly companies) would do that.

sflufan

Banned
Do you have a link to any info on this? What's the point? Anti-capitalist? Anti-DRM? Script kiddies who aren't worldly enough to think of a random large corporation that isn't involved with one of their hobbies?

TpUoh5B.png

Why do any of these cyberterrorist groups do it? The answer is "for the lulz" of course.

MormaPope

Banned
Honestly, most conferences could/should be cut down to 7 minutes. It would be refreshing if conferences maxed out at 15 minutes. Fuck hype, show your shit and get out.

Jachaos

I'm glad our internet freedom fighters are here to stand up to these open-source-embracing, fun-game-making bullies.

Do you have a link to any info on this? What's the point? Anti-capitalist? Anti-DRM? Script kiddies who aren't worldly enough to think of a random large corporation that isn't involved with one of their hobbies?

Yeah.

Their efforts would be much better spent on corporations like Monsanto or things like TPP.

I can't imagine Valve's hardware/SteamOS push gaining traction without something aggressive directly from Valve. Everything so far has been interesting, but don't they need something more to be disruptive?

Durante

Was there ANY amount of new information here?
Well, a list of hardware vendors building Steam machines and their 13 initial boxes. 13 boxes, 7 minutes, I think it's fine. Oh, and the fact that there will also be third party Steam controllers, and that Valve will be selling their own separately. The latter is pretty much the only part in all of this which is actually relevant to me personally :p

And for the numbers people, 62% YoY growth!

You don't announce games during CES.

I figured , although I thought they was going to talk about steamOS and steam machines which includes mainly the tech behind it and some general stuff some games being part of it . I guess I was lead to believe something else , thought wrong , or maybe there is another portion of it that my come out.

neshcom

Banned
Seven minutes was nice, but they really didn't announce anything other than showing off more third party boxes. Second limp round of announcements from Valve. They need to be showing games and accessibility. 13+ boxes, different controllers, and dual OSes (at least one of those boxes announced will dual boot) plus no release date for SteamOS. Reeks of flop.

Nzyme32

seeing hardware is cool but valve really needs to wow with some big publisher support to really make it all work.

Apparently they have some for quite a while but still no info for some reason. Either it happens sometime this week, in two weeks at Steam Dev Days (although that wouldn't make much sense as it's a developer event only), GDC, or E3.

Either way, if they have the support and just drop it on everyone, that alone would be enough to get gamer attention. Poor support would obviously mean no interest and they definitely know that.

I believe they have a plan.

Top Bottom