• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve CES Conference January 6. 8pm EST/5pm PST [Ended in 7 minutes]

Sentenza

I'll admit, I wasn't looking for magic announcements but I expected at least a quick overlook about which developers were going to support SteamOS natively with their ports in the first wave.

Nzyme32

Courtesy of the verge comments section
Zi3ixYv.jpg

"so complex
much content
one sentence
wow"

DarkFlow

Banned
Apparently they have some for quite a while but still no info for some reason. Either it happens sometime this week, in two weeks at Steam Dev Days (although that wouldn't make much sense as it's a developer event only), GDC, or E3.

Either way, if they have the support and just drop it on everyone, that alone would be enough to get gamer attention. Poor support would obviously mean no interest and they definitely know that.

I believe they have a plan.

That's great that they have a plan. The longer it takes to share said plan, I feel the less people are going to give a shit.

Nzyme32

I'll admit, I wasn't looking for magic announcements but I expected at least a quick overlook about which developers were going to support SteamOS natively with their ports in the first wave.

They may be doing the old 3 day madness thing again. Hardware today and two more days of other stuff. Who knows.

Hexa

Maybe Gaben wanted to go watch the Sony conference.

Forkay Forkay Forkay Forkay Forkay Forkay Forkay Forkay Forkay Forkay Forkay...

neshcom

Banned
They may be doing the old 3 day madness thing again. Hardware today and two more days of other stuff. Who knows.
Bu that was lame last time too. The only new information that came out of that was the beta program and controller. Obviously Valve has to officially announce these things, but they're just catching up to the rumormill and creating this image that the SM program is confusing and not thought out.

Nzyme32

Bu that was lame last time too. The only new information that came out of that was the beta program and controller. Obviously Valve has to officially announce these things, but they're just catching up to the rumormill and creating this image that the SM program is confusing and not thought out.

Hence - who knows

VinLAURiA

Banned
They're not even trying anymore.

"Hi, we're VALVe. We used to make awesome stuff and learned how to hype it up so that we have you by the balls in a vice grip over every little thing we do. So now, we're going to get your hopes up with ARGs and public appearances that turn out to be for goddamn nothing."

Thanks a bunch, dirtbags. Glad to see all that easy hat and DotA cash didn't go to your heads.

kasane

"Hi, we're VALVe. We used to make awesome stuff and learned how to hype it up so that we have you by the balls in a vice grip over every little thing we do. So now, we're going to get your hopes up with bunch of ARGs and public appearances only to crush them time after time for absolutely goddamn nothing."

Thanks a bunch, dirtbags. Glad to see all that easy hat and DotA cash didn't go to your heads.

so entitled

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

"Hi, we're VALVe. We used to make awesome stuff and learned how to hype it up so that we have you by the balls in a vice grip over every little thing we do. So now, we're going to get your hopes up with bunch of ARGs and public appearances only to crush them time after time for absolutely goddamn nothing."

So bitter.

xJavonta

Banned

"Hi, we're VALVe. We used to make awesome stuff and learned how to hype it up so that we have you by the balls in a vice grip over every little thing we do. So now, we're going to get your hopes up with ARGs and public appearances that turn out to be for goddamn nothing."

Lol did Gabe kill your mom or something? Why so mad?

This is sad.

Nzyme32

Easy dude. Relax. They didn't really try to make the event known in the first place, only enthusiasts like myself and you paid attention.

They said they would take a relaxed approach, well the got that right haha

I don't know what people were expecting. We got specs, prices, and dates on hardware from a variety of manufacturers. Seems like a good bit of info to me

Sorcerer

So the Alienware box has an Intel GPU and nVidia CPU. Expected. Ships with Steam OS too.

From IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/ces-alienware-reveals-new-steam-machine

So, when can you buy one and how much will it cost? Alienware says the system will be "competitively priced" with Sony and Microsoft's latest consoles and will share more details as the year progresses.

I am shocked that Alienware is not bringing out the most expensive machine or one even in top price tiers.

Nzyme32

Is the streaming stuff in any of the builds yet?

All the machines and any steam client are capable of that. The gigabyte machine appeared to be a picoITX machine (will fit in 2 hands). That is likely aimed specifically at streaming. The previous discussion have described using Miracast to allow for super low latency streaming

From IGN:

So, when can you buy one and how much will it cost? Alienware says the system will be "competitively priced" with Sony and Microsoft's latest consoles and will share more details as the year progresses.

I am shocked that Alienware is not going for the most expensive machine.

The X51 has been decently priced for some time. They would also be the only company on that list that could scale up production enough to drive down component costs.

xJavonta

Banned
From IGN:

I am shocked that Alienware is not going for the most expensive machine.

Hearing that makes me even more positive that they're going with mobile parts instead of desktop versions. Which is totally fine by me, a lot of mobile cards are extremely capable these days and really power efficient. (not to mention cost effective)

I'm glad it's going to be in the $400-$600 range though. I just want one to keep under my TV.

Nzyme32

Valve Reveals First Gen Steam Machines
7 JANUARY - CHRISTEN
Over One Dozen Designs Announced

January 6, 2014 – Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Dota 2, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced over one dozen Steam Machine designs now in production from leading manufacturers and targeted for release in 2014.

The lineup of Steam Machines announced today offers a wide variety of price and performance options made possible by the Steam Machine’s open design, with systems starting as low as $499 and top end systems rivaling today’s bleeding edge gaming PCs.

Every Steam Machine includes an innovative Steam Controller designed for use with a wide variety of game genres, and is powered by the SteamOS, a custom OS built atop Linux.

"The first generation Steam Machines offers something for every gamer, which is a critical part of extending Steam into the living room," said Gabe Newell of Valve. "With over 3,000 games and more than 65 million gamers on Steam, it’s important to offer gamers a variety of Steam Machines that allow them to select what makes the most sense for them."

Announced earlier this year, Steam Machines are new entertainment systems targeted for use in the living room and leveraging Steam, the popular online platform for gaming and software with over 65 million accounts worldwide.

The makers of first generation Steam Machines are:
Alienware
Alternate
CyberPowerPC
Digital Storm
Falcon NW
GigaByte
iBuyPower
Maingear
Material.net
Next Spa
Origin PC
Scan
Webhallen
Zotac
For more information, please visit our CES Press sheet.

http://media.steampowered.com/store/steammachines/SteamMachinesBroc_WEB.PDF

sekrit

Banned
Valve Reveals First Gen Steam Machines
Over One Dozen Designs Announced

January 6, 2014 – Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Dota 2, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced over one dozen Steam Machine designs now in production from leading manufacturers and targeted for release in 2014.

The lineup of Steam Machines announced today offers a wide variety of price and performance options made possible by the Steam Machine’s open design, with systems starting as low as $499 and top end systems rivaling today’s bleeding edge gaming PCs.

Every Steam Machine includes an innovative Steam Controller designed for use with a wide variety of game genres, and is powered by the SteamOS, a custom OS built atop Linux.

"The first generation Steam Machines offers something for every gamer, which is a critical part of extending Steam into the living room," said Gabe Newell of Valve. "With over 3,000 games and more than 65 million gamers on Steam, it’s important to offer gamers a variety of Steam Machines that allow them to select what makes the most sense for them."

Announced earlier this year, Steam Machines are new entertainment systems targeted for use in the living room and leveraging Steam, the popular online platform for gaming and software with over 65 million accounts worldwide.

The makers of first generation Steam Machines are:
Alienware
Alternate
CyberPowerPC
Digital Storm
Falcon NW
GigaByte
iBuyPower
Maingear
Material.net
Next Spa
Origin PC
Scan
Webhallen
Zotac
For more information, please visit our CES Press sheet.

This popped in.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1927838910223830657

edit. too slow
image.php

thefil

I've acted as one of the faithful through this whole SteamOS/SteamBox/Steam controller business. I have everything to gain from Linux gaming becoming successful and I believed Valve would be able to catalyze a transformation. I didn't mind the minimal countdown reveals on the website, or the hints of "CES". I unplugged many hard drives to install SteamOS, and talked up the possibilities of this movement to my friends.

I felt like my expectations were pretty low: concrete date/price on the controller. A third party streaming box shown in the batch. A single, big third party Linux game. What we got was much less than that.
*edit* I guess some of the machines have dates? But are they the ones shipping with controllers and the OS? And the Gigabyte model may be a streaming target...

At this point, it just seems like they are jerking people around. There was essentially zero information at this event. I understand that they do not control hardware, but there is still no information on availability, and it sounds like some Steam Machines will launch without SteamOS and the controller.

This was the first time I got the concrete feeling that they bit off more than they could chew.

I'll stop venting now. I realize I'm being a gross manbaby but what is GAF for?

Momentary

Banned

Wow man. Chill. This wasn't even hyped up AT ALL. You hyped yourself up.

Barakov

This was great. Thank you for not wasting our time Valve.

This is the real takeaway here. If you're having a press conference and don't intend to say much, I'd rather it be 7 minutes long as opposed to a 2 hour conference that says about as much as the 7 minute one did.

Reallink

I have absolutely no idea what Valves intention is with this thing. Not focusing on a single configuration seems even more bizarre with the revelation that not even the Steam Controller is going to be a mandated standard. These companies have been (or could have been) building these same machines for years and marketing them as living room PC consoles. Meanwhile people that want custom machines have already built them themselves. The PC space needed a singular beacon to point to as it's "console" (upgradable and with an annual successor cycle)--likely an i5 and 760/770 class box. This just seems like nonsense letting 20 companies make 20 boxes that look like X1's, NAS's, or Horizontal Towers with whatever controller they see fit to cobble together. I don't see the point or goal at all.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I have absolutely no idea what Valves intention is with this thing. Not focusing on a single configuration seems even more bizarre with the revelation that not even the Steam Controller is going to be a mandated standard. These companies have been (or could have been) building these same machines for years and marketing them as living room PC consoles. Meanwhile people that want custom machines have already built them themselves. The PC space needed a singular beacon to point to as it's "console" (upgradable and with an annual successor cycle)--likely an i5 and 760/770 class box. This just seems like nonsense letting 20 companies make 20 boxes that look like X1's, NAS's, or Horizontal Towers with whatever controller they see fit to cobble together. I don't see the point or goal at all.

Maybe the point is SteamOS not the actual boxes? I'm kinda confused too.

Right now yes. In the future with the way things are going with Windows, probably not.

OFahS.gif

The average consumer still looks primarily at Windows and MacOS. And, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the ideal way to game with MacOS is with Windows through Bootcamp.

It's cool to hate everything Microsoft and all, but I really don't see Windows disappearing from the face of the OS market anytime soon.

DarkFlow

Banned

Same here. I thought Steam Machine was supposed to be a baseline, not a normal Gaming PC. This is not going to being over anyone that is scared of PC gaming because it's all over the place, 760 all the way up to fucking titan, i5 to i7 and all it's different speeds. If they want this to take off, they need to set a stranded not just wing it, because I can go do it a hell of a lot cheaper if I wing it myself.

Coolwhip

Banned

Maybe they are a business and not your personal happydreamfunland provider. But Im not sure.

LAMBO

Sure but you're not the target for these machines. If you can build one yourself it's the best way to go. But there are people that just will never be able to do it. Even when things go perfectly it's a daunting task for most. When things don't go well, it would be a nightmare for these people and they would never try it again.

Last PC i built:

I put the thing together. Turn it on, nothing. So i know it's probably the PSU or the mobo. So i test the psu with a paper clip, it works. So i then just for the hell of it try some old ram and gpu i had, nothing. I then take everything apart return the mobo to the store get another. I clean the processor, add new paste i bought with the new mobo, hook everything up and it works fine.

Nzyme32

Same here. I thought Steam Machine was supposed to be a baseline, not a normal Gaming PC. This is not going to being over anyone that is scared of PC gaming because it's all over the place, 760 all the way up to fucking titan, i5 to i7 and all it's different speeds. If they want this to take off, they need to set a stranded not just wing it, because I can go do it a hell of a lot cheaper if I wing it myself.

The alienware is apparently more powerful the both xbox one and ps4, smaller than both, and will be competitively priced as "the most affordable machine ever produced" as well as produced in large volume....

how! Is valve subsidising?

fritolay

Valve is like iD

ID didn't like DirectX at one time. In those days too there was GOD gathering of developers where things were going to change. Linux had gaming promise.

ID launched FPS gaming

Valve launched steam

Will Valve follow to irrelevance too I wonder.

CyberpowerPC specs/price looks pretty impressive -

CPU - AMD/Intel Core i5 CPU
Graphics - AMD Radeon R9 270/Nvidia GTX 760
RAM - 8GB
Storage - 500GB

I think I'd have a hard time building that myself for 500. Maybe the info is wrong?

$500 is the baseline price. Getting the 760/i5 will be a lot more than $500.

Valve is like iD

ID didn't like DirectX at one time. In those days too there was GOD gathering of developers where things were going to change. Linux had gaming promise.

ID launched FPS gaming

Valve launched steam

Will Valve follow to irrelevance too I wonder.

lololololol

Top Bottom