• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanillaware fantasy game teased in 2019 at end of development, George Kamitani says

Thief1987

Back in March 2019, publisher ATLUS and developer Vanillaware released 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Prologue, a paid trial of the 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim full game experience. The “Extras” section of the in-game menu did include one notable bonus though—a teaser trailer for Vanillaware’s next all-new title.
In March 2019, for reasons I won’t get into, we released only the prologue of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, but it did include a video of our next title in it,” Kamitani said. “And now, it’s finally finished. While I’m not the director of that title, it’s one of Vanillaware’s biggest productions, so please look forward to it.”
Kamitani continued, “Lastly, the title I’m working on right now won’t be finished for several years, but once that big title I’m telling you about is finished, I should get some development staff, so development of my project will finally move into full swing.”

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/01/van...19-at-end-of-development-george-kamitani-says

Deft Beck

I wonder when they're going to announce it. If it's done, will that mean a fast turnaround from announcement to release?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Make Princess Crown 2 already (just don't call it that since we never got the first, do a new title or whatever whether it's a reboot or a stand alone continuation, but also bring the 1st), bigger and better but with keeping the core elements like that pretty awesome battle system and of course the art.

They haven't made anything as good since that game so should stop refusing making sequels 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'll play anything that comes out of Vanillaware. Just hook it up straight in to my veins. It can be old sloppy seconds from the cutting room floor, stapled together by a drunk Atlus intern, I don't give a shit.
Same.
giphy.gif

Make Princess Crown 2 already (just don't call it that since we never got the irst, do a sub title or whatever whether it's a reboot or a stand alone continuation, but also bring the 1st), bigger and better but with keeping the core elements like that pretty awesome battle system and of course the style.
They wont because they dont make sequels and Odin Sphere is essentially Princess Crown's spiritual successor.

Edit: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...a-muramasa-port-but-admits-there-are-problems
god-damn-it-ryan-reynolds.gif

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Make Princess Crown 2 already (just don't call it that since we never got the first, do a new title or whatever whether it's a reboot or a stand alone continuation, but also bring the 1st), bigger and better but with keeping the core elements like that pretty awesome battle system and of course the art.

They haven't made anything as good since that game so should stop refusing making sequels 🤷‍♂️

Just localize the PS4 version instead.

theclaw135

Banned
The last hurdle for PC gaming alongside Bloodborne. Its insane how these guys haven't ported anything to PC. And I don't buy the small studio BS excuse. At the end of the day its their loss considering their games are pretty simple to emulate.

As far as I understand most of their games are owned by the publishers, who could offload PC ports to whoever they please.

YukiOnna

Nice. Now more importantly (to me)

Kamitani: As for our current titles, Muramasa was created so that sequels set in the world of Genroku could be created quite easily. I didn't waste time trying it out with the creation of 4 DLCs, but I still have plenty of ideas left for a Japanese setting of the style. Also, I've been talking to the rest of the team about the possibility of making a Dragon's Crown game with additional characters in the style of Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, but I personally would like to make a new and original game. Although it does not end up being Muramasa, we have other ideas of Japanese-themed titles, and still other fantasy ideas darker than Dragon's Crown.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Nice, I'm in on day one. Hopefully they announce it soon and we get a Steam port this time.
Also like others have mentioned it would be nice to have Muramasa on modern system but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen any time soon, if ever. Oh well.

bender

What time is it?
Nice, I'm in on day one. Hopefully they announce it soon and we get a Steam port this time.
Also like others have mentioned it would be nice to have Muramasa on modern system but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen any time soon, if ever. Oh well.

GrimGrimoire is getting a port so never say never.

blackjon24

I'll literally play anything these guys make but really hoping for something more similar to Dragon crown or Muramasa personally!

I find it odd that dragon crown was their biggest success and at this point like 10 years later we still don't have a sequel. They really should get on that

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm just not a fan of how their games control.
I'm actually opposite, I really like how Vanillaware does 2D action combat compare to other games.
muramasa-oboro.gif
odin-sphere-vanillaware.gif

I find it odd that dragon crown was their biggest success and at this point like 10 years later we still don't have a sequel. They really should get on that
Because they dont make sequels, they never once did.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

More vanillaware games are always a good thing.
This made me remember the Yoko Taro interview for 13 Sentinels

Can you tell us about any expectations for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim?

Yoko Taro: “I truly believe that games made by Vanillaware are treasure of the gaming industry, and I hope they forever continue releasing games. I know it’s early, but I already want to see a sequel! Yes, I want to ask them to make a sequel before it even comes out! I know there are some folks from Atlus over there, so yeah, I would certainly like to ask for a sequel. I’m expecting a sequel! I’m expecting a sequel!!!”

Can you share a message to the fans that are looking forward to the release of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim?

Yoko Taro: “I think you must buy this game! The reason for that is—in order to keep the existence of this Japanese national treasure of a company known as Vanillaware, they must sell as many copies possible. I don’t care whether games of other companies sell, and I really wouldn’t care at all if Atlus were to go under! However, Vanillaware games are the one thing we can’t lose in Japan, so let’s all buy 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim!”

Just watch the teaser.. Grand Knight History "spiritual successor" since they don't do sequels and all.
But Grand Knight History was not by Kamitani. Grand Knight History director was Tomohiko Deguchi. He left Vanillaware and then made Grand Kingdom

kubricks

But I want to replay those games, especially Murasama, its shame that game being stuck on dead system.

Well you can *test* them on the Steam Deck ... it works I promise lol.
Still, I want Vanillaware to port them officially to either Switch or PC so I can buy them again, I am sure there is a market for it.

Vanillaware is pure gold. The passion, the genius, the craftsmanship, the perseverance, you barely find those attributes any more in the industry.

Naturally, their fine taste for female character's bosom is very appreciated too.

Top Bottom