• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: "If Xbox can't beat PS5 this holiday, I'm not sure it ever will"

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
the same site that posted this
images

Lol
Please don't, you know what is going to happened. I saw those gif for million times already.

kingfey

Banned
Nod Yes GIF by Captain Obvious

kidding

I'm talking directly, not indirectly. PC versions of games are not not going alleviate the console shortage for non-PC gamers.
MS Already know it. Console players knows it. Pc players won't buy xbox to play xbox games. So why bother it, hoping for them to come to your system.
Its kinda parasitic relationship at this point. Both are beneficial to each other. Ms will get money from pc players, which they will use it to fund future games. Console and pc players will get to play these games.

One more important thing is players. Both pc and Xbox users can play with each other. So more users, the longer the game will be alive. That is another aspect MS is aware. Especially with halo free MP that is coming soon.

ManaByte

One more important thing is players. Both pc and Xbox users can play with each other. So more users, the longer the game will be alive. That is another aspect MS is aware. Especially with halo free MP that is coming soon.

This.

Sea of Thieves is thriving because it has 25 million players across console, PC (Xbox App), and Steam.

Urban

But how will Xbox beat Playstation if the games wont sell?

I think Halo might move max 5 mio overall

kingfey

Banned
The company that produce more units will win. No PS5 or XBX will be left on shelves this Christmas.
I disagree with this part. dont you need people to spend on your system? Without incentive to make people spend their money, more hardware means nothing.

Then again, we have warzone and fortnite, which generates tons of money.

they could cancel every upcoming first party Playstation game, jim ryan could personally send u a ziploc bag of his excrement and a note that reads FU.....and it would still be the best selling console. It doesn't matter at this point.

I dont know if the writer is referring to console sales which would be silly because both consoles are supply constrained.

Ofcourse both Xbox and PS5 will sell out. What will be interesting is to see how many people will sign up to PC Gamepass. I speculate its going to be millions of new PC Gamepass subs between November through January. If over 10 million PC players paid for Master chief Collection I think 20 million players or more will sign up for Halo multiplayer as it is free to play over the next year. and let's say 75% of those 20 million want to play the campaign on a $1 deal, then thats 15 million new subs easy. But dont listen to me as my math is probably off somehow.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I disagree with this part. dont you need people to spend on your system? Without incentive to make people spend their money, more hardware means nothing.

Then again, we have warzone and fortnite, which generates tons of money.
If you mean software sales, Microsoft has a long way to get PS numbers, and of course, Microsoft is playing another game, subscriptions, and for those, more consoles are necessary, I can't picture having an Xbox without Gamepass, it's a no-brainer.

kingfey

Banned
If you mean software sales, Microsoft has a long way to get PS numbers, and of course, Microsoft is playing another game, subscriptions, and for those, more consoles are necessary, I can't picture having an Xbox without Gamepass, it's a no-brainer.
This should close the entire thread. Honestly both console are going different direction.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
FH5 4.5M shows something else.

Xbox at this stage isnt competing with ps5 anymore. It wants to attract pc players, and combine it with xbox players.

Only console warrior care about it at this stage. Even Sony is doing PC version for their games.

Xbox is ALWAYS competing with Playstation and vice versa. Only people scared to talk about facts don't want to have these "types" of conversations anymore.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox is ALWAYS competing with Playstation and vice versa. Only people scared to talk about facts don't want to have these "types" of conversations anymore.
You mean the xbox who did pc in 2015, and now are doing xcloud will compete with ps5?

To me it doesn't matter. Both consoles makers suck, as they aren't providing a simple means to buy one. Its over a year out and I can't get neither. Im done wasting my time.
Let me know when I can go to best buy and pick one up in store or just hit buy on amazon and get it whenever with MRSP price.
Until then all these companies can F off!!!!!! I had an easier time getting a 3060ti than a fing console.

I'll go back to playing D2 on switch and Mount and Blade2 on pc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MS Already know it. Console players knows it. Pc players won't buy xbox to play xbox games. So why bother it, hoping for them to come to your system.
Its kinda parasitic relationship at this point. Both are beneficial to each other. Ms will get money from pc players, which they will use it to fund future games. Console and pc players will get to play these games.

100% agree.

I think every console maker would prefer if tons of PC/mobile gamers flocked to consoles, but the console hardware base hasnt moved in eras. Console gear actually sold more 10 years ago despite gaming growing like crazy in money lately. They finally noticed lot of mobile and PC gamers arent going console. If the exclusives and ease of play were so great for 40 years of console gaming, they would had already switched by now.

MS switch to Xbox/PC years back, Sony is slowly dabbling in PC. Nintendo hasnt yet except for 1-2 mobile games. They know big growth can come from non-consoles. Sony even has that Grand Fate mobile game that makes about a billion sales every year, yet they dont promote that because it casts a shadow on PS as you never hear anyone bring that game under the gaming umbrella. So they know the money is there.

Same goes for PC game companies. Way back you got most companies being console or PC focused. Then suddenly PC game makers noticed consoles can handle the games, so might as well release games like Call of Duties and Two Point Hospital and some RTS games on consoles and get some more sales out of it. All those FPS games were the shit on PC. And consoles got zero version or a shitty PS, Xbox, GC versions. Now, COD is more focused on console gamers when the franchise originally started on PC!

And then console centric game companies start making games for PC. Who knew Sega and Capcom loved PC gaming so much. They werent like this in 2000.

Last edited:

Caio

The only thing I do care is Games, so I couldn't care less about who is beating whom, who VS whom. Microsoft look stronger for the Holiday season with Forza Horizon and Halo Infinite, which are really big hits. Sony on the other hand can revive games like Demon's Souls, Returnal, Ratchet, Deathloop, etc and be very strong on most multiplatform games. If you ask me, for this Holiday season, I'm more happy with Microsoft as I'm a big fan of both Forza and Halo, while happy with PS5 for the games coming later on, starting from february. If we really want to speak about selling numbers, I think in the Global both Sony and Microsoft will do very well, based on hardware availability, while I can see Microsoft very very strong in NA.

kingfey

Banned
None of that changes the fact that consoles are competing with each other.
It changes.

Xbox could have bought studios, and make those games exclusive to their console. The fact they are willing to put their games on pc, changes this narritive.

Only fanboys sees this playstation vs xbox.

MS is setting their eyes on the casuals who wont buy console, or pc players who wont buy xbox at all.

Dr Bass

This should close the entire thread. Honestly both console are going different direction.
No they aren't. PS Now tried the streaming thing way before XCloud, and in the end it's about the revenue the gaming divisions bring in and the resultant profits you can generate from that. If you can't make a profit you don't have a viable business. Both businesses are delivering console video game products and are trying to make a profit on said products. They are directly competing for the same dollars in the same space.

Jose92

[Membe
Talking about how to beat playstation ?

Thats cute when will people realize nintendo is the one to beat

3IvrSxu.jpg
Different markets, there is a higher chance of someone having a switch and another platform than an Xbox/play

Last edited:

MaulerX

Every console maker will sell everything they can manufacture and ship to retailers.

Truth is that if any one of these companies really want to "win NPD" or UK charts it'll be at the cost of other regions. They'll just relocate inventory and funnel them to the regions that'll get them PR victories.

Topher

Gold Member
It changes.

Xbox could have bought studios, and make those games exclusive to their console. The fact they are willing to put their games on pc, changes this narritive.

Only fanboys sees this playstation vs xbox.

MS is setting their eyes on the casuals who wont buy console, or pc players who wont buy xbox at all.

Xbox and PlayStation have expanded their reach and the "narrative" has expanded as well. But that doesn't change the fact that Xbox and PlayStation are still in competition with each other in the console market. That statement has nothing to do with being a "fanboy". That is just stating the reality.

kingfey

Banned
No they aren't. PS Now tried the streaming thing way before XCloud, and in the end it's about the revenue the gaming divisions bring in and the resultant profits you can generate from that. If you can't make a profit you don't have a viable business. Both businesses are delivering console video game products and are trying to make a profit on said products. They are directly competing for the same dollars in the same space.
Playstation never bothered with their psnow. Xcloud is product of azura, and MS backing xbox.

Both system are working on their strength.

We the fans are making them compete, but in reality they arent. Even playstation is dipping on pc, because their business isnt that much sustainable in the future, especially with the budget their games are costing. They are coexisting on a pc.

kingfey

Banned
Xbox and PlayStation have expanded their reach and the "narrative" has expanded as well. But that doesn't change the fact that Xbox and PlayStation are still in competition with each other in the console market. That statement has nothing to do with being a "fanboy". That is just stating the reality.
isn't MS abandoning their console slowly by focusing more on xcloud? So how is that they are competing with PlayStation, when they are preparing for the future?

Topher

Gold Member
isn't MS abandoning their console slowly by focusing more on xcloud? So how is that they are competing with PlayStation, when they are preparing for the future?

No, they are not. We've heard this nonsense about Xbox console going away many many times. If PlayStation and Xbox were not in competition then PS gamers would be playing Forza Horizon 5 right now on PS5 and Xbox Series owners would be playing Ratchet and Clank on Xbox right now. That isn't happening because they are in competition.

kingfey

Banned
No, they are not. We've heard this nonsense about Xbox console going away many many times. If PlayStation and Xbox were not in competition then PS gamers would be playing Forza Horizon 5 right now on PS5 and Xbox Series owners would be playing Ratchet and Clank on Xbox right now. That isn't happening because they are in competition.
If you say it this way, then yeah, they might be in competition.

Its just the way both console acts doesnt seem to be competing with each other.

FrankWza

The difference is, and it’s a big one, that PS stands alone. Whatever speculation there is for the future it’s still all speculation.
When the zeni games talk was being speculated on, the rebuttal to why PS install base wasn’t needed was because PC has the biggest install base. Now FH5 is the biggest day1 for xgs and we’re pretending that PC has nothing to do with those numbers? The xbox division stands on Microsoft’s shoulders. Now, xgs is being helped immensely by making games available to a huge install base and a subscription service that is usually discounted.

Dr Bass

Playstation never bothered with their psnow. Xcloud is product of azura, and MS backing xbox.

Both system are working on their strength.

We the fans are making them compete, but in reality they arent. Even playstation is dipping on pc, because their business isnt that much sustainable in the future, especially with the budget their games are costing. They are coexisting on a pc.
You honestly don't know what you're talking about. First off, it's "Azure" and it's not a product of that, it's the platform that hosts the service. Just like AWS hosts the service that I work on that serves millions of people.

I don't think Sony has done much with PS Now because A) it's not that viable from a profit standpoint and B) streaming is not, and will not ever be the best experience for reasons of physics. Internet packets delivered over the wire just cannot be as fast as a box plugged into a tv.

"We the fans" are choosing to spend our entertainment dollars on who we think has the games we want to play. How can you say Sony's business is not sustainable when it's making record profits? They are trying to increase their growth, which is why they are doing that. They don't have to expand into PC to survive, that is an absolutely absurd notion not backed up by any kind of data whatsoever. In fact it flies in the face of ALL the available data.

Again...

iu

K' Dash

This thread is good, kinda cathartic for the fanboys to come here and talk shit while leaving the FH5 threads alone.

This and a heavy dose of copium should do for the next couple of days.

Woopah

Xbox only really has a chance in North America and the UK this generation. I can't see much chnaging for Asia and continental Europe.
If you say it this way, then yeah, they might be in competition.

Its just the way both console acts doesnt seem to be competing with each other.
You can follow different strategies but still compete. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have quite different strategies, but they are all competing in the market of dedicated video game devices.

kingfey

Banned
The difference is, and it’s a big one, that PS stands alone. Whatever speculation there is for the future it’s still all speculation.
When the zeni games talk was being speculated on, the rebuttal to why PS install base wasn’t needed was because PC has the biggest install base. Now FH5 is the biggest day1 for xgs and we’re pretending that PC has nothing to do with those numbers? The xbox division stands on Microsoft’s shoulders. Now, xgs is being helped immensely by making games available to a huge install base and a subscription service that is usually discounted.
Laughter Lol GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Let me tell you something about pc players. You are lucky if they pay you 60$. We pc players are very stingy. We wont dip anything, unless its on sale.

good try though.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
FH5 4.5M shows something else.

Xbox at this stage isnt competing with ps5 anymore. It wants to attract pc players, and combine it with xbox players.

Only console warrior care about it at this stage. Even Sony is doing PC version for their games.

Horizon has always been a darling.

I've said time and time again, Forza is the best thing they ever did and Turn 10 has consistently shamed Polyphony Digital.

I think the series X is a solid piece of kit and fixed a lot of mistakes they did last gen, so it will pick up some steam - however Sony hasn't completely fucked up like they did with PS3 so a xbox360-like generation I don't think it's going to happen. Just imho of course, I have no data on anything.

FrankWza

Let me tell you something about pc players. You are lucky if they pay you 60$. We pc players are very stingy. We wont dip anything, unless its on sale.

good try though.
First of all, I didn’t say anything about price.
Unless you’re saying that the pc version on FH5 is already discounted? I’m seeing $59.99.

kingfey

Banned
First of all, I didn’t say anything about price.
Unless you’re saying that the pc version on FH5 is already discounted? I’m seeing $59.99.
We are talking about that price. Only about half a million will buy it. The rest will wait for steam sales. Because that is when games are cheap.

Top Bottom