• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: "If Xbox can't beat PS5 this holiday, I'm not sure it ever will"

Topher

Gold Member
but Xbox is a platform today .....for this reason looking at the Xbox the same way as looking at the PlayStation is stupid. the models are completely different.

I'm not talking about the overall gaming model of Microsoft and Sony. I'm talking about the consoles specifically. They are still very much alike, more than they are different.

skneogaf

I honestly believe that most ps5 consoles will be sold 1st half of lifetime then 2nd half xbox series consoles will sell the most.

Gamers need to have both if they love games or ps5 & pc which is the same kind of.

"MS's business model is more subscription based across multiple platforms"

That's great but are they turning a profit on that or bleeding money?
It shouldn’t matter to you if they are bleeding money or not as a consumer.

if anyone in the game can throw money away (they are literally sending out $100 gift cards right now according to Wario64) it’s Microsoft.

Lognor

Banned
I honestly believe that most ps5 consoles will be sold 1st half of lifetime then 2nd half xbox series consoles will sell the most.

Gamers need to have both if they love games or ps5 & pc which is the same kind of.
You really don't need a PS5 or XSX this gen with all MS games and more and more PS games coming to PC.

Since Game Pass is so much better on Xbox than PC I did buy an XSX, but going forward hopefully there is more parity. PC wins out in the end though.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Horizon has always been a darling.

I've said time and time again, Forza is the best thing they ever did and Turn 10 has consistently shamed Polyphony Digital.

I think the series X is a solid piece of kit and fixed a lot of mistakes they did last gen, so it will pick up some steam - however Sony hasn't completely fucked up like they did with PS3 so a xbox360-like generation I don't think it's going to happen. Just imho of course, I have no data on anything.

If you want to compare, Motorsports is a forgotten game. They killed the series themselves. GT Sports continues to be way better then Motorsports.

Last edited:
You really don't need a PS5 or XSX this gen with all MS games and more and more PS games coming to PC.

Since Game Pass is so much better on Xbox than PC I did buy an XSX, but going forward hopefully there is more parity. PC wins out in the end though.
I mean….can you build a pc and buy a 4k monitor for $500? I think that’s why the consoles will still sell regardless of the “play anywhere” strategy

Lognor

Banned
If you want to compare, Motorsports is a forgotten game. They killed the series themselves. GT Sports continues to be way better then Motorsports.
They're both niche games. Not many people care about closed circuit racing sims anymore. While I haven't played GT Sport, I've heard some bad things about it. Seems like the devs on GT Sport had their heads up their ass. You have to race with etiquette and watch these ridiculous videos telling you how to drive properly before you can play the fucking game. Such pretentious bullshit for a fucking video game. At least in Forza you don't have to deal with that shit so that gets the win automatically.

Lognor

Banned
I mean….can you build a pc and buy a 4k monitor for $500? I think that’s why the consoles will still sell regardless of the “play anywhere” strategy
No, but you can probably build one for $1,000 which will be able to play current gen games. And for $1,000 that is what it would cost to buy a PS5 and XSX. You'll get to play ever Xbox game on your PC and most PS games (albeit much later).

Artistic

Its that rare time when Microsoft has a lot of fire party games and Sony has nothing. Its a situation that is unlikely to be repeated.
I mean I guess it's a ideal setup. As is, hasn't MS outsold Sony as far as holiday hardware sales during the XB1/PS4 generation? Definitely feel this was the case one holiday season where they had all these crazy bundles and like $50 off on top of the recent price cut as well.

Player count is meaningless, it doesn't compare to sales. Sales show intent and desire to play the game. I downloaded and played FH5 just to check it out, I never would have bought that game and I'm not going to play it anymore either, I'm not into racers but I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about.

Whoever gets more consoles in stores is going to win this holiday, both are still very hard to find and people can't just walk into stores and buy either the PS5 or Series X right now. Sony already has games released for the PS5 this year and at launch that you can't play on older hardware, Xbox only has flight simulator which didn't even chart in the top 20 on NPD in its launch month, it's not a system seller it's more like a tech demo. They'll both sell all the consoles they can ship, whoever wrote this article is CLUELESS as to how this works lol.

Handel

Both Series X and PS5 will sell out of all units this holiday, whichever has more units for sale therefore "wins". Though the Switch is likely to win in unit sales anyways.

Woopah

I mean I guess it's a ideal setup. As is, hasn't MS outsold Sony as far as holiday hardware sales during the XB1/PS4 generation? Definitely feel this was the case one holiday season where they had all these crazy bundles and like $50 off on top of the recent price cut as well.
Worldwide? No I don't think that ever happened. XB1 might have nabbed a couple of months in North America but that's it.

MonarchJT

Banned
I'm not talking about the overall gaming model of Microsoft and Sony. I'm talking about the consoles specifically. They are still very much alike, more than they are different.
i get it i get it I realized that some people like to talk about Ms console sales ...in the same way as I understand that people love to follow the physical sales of games. But this, unfortunately, does not change the fact that both things today (in this case especially the first with regard to Ms) they are not the correct way to evaluate the success of a platform or game release.Microsoft could sell half the console of Sony and still find HUGE success by releasing games on PC console and Cloud at the same time. What people need to understand is that it COULD actually be even more successful than Sony while still selling even half of what Sony does. The same goes for physical games ... now it's the most wrong and reductive way to evaluate a release. Bear in mind that the largest stores are already thinking about a phase out of the spaces intended for exhibitions of physical games with products that have more economic movement.

Last edited:

Artistic

Worldwide? No I don't think that ever happened. XB1 might have nabbed a couple of months in North America but that's it.
That's what I'm referring to, I just don't remember which holiday season it is.

Expecting Xbox to win worldwide sales is completely unrealistic unless Sony pulls off something worse than the PS3 reveal.

Topher

Gold Member
i get it i get it I realized that some people like to talk about Ms console sales ...in the same way as I understand that people love to follow the physical sales of games. But this, unfortunately, does not change the fact that both things today (in this case especially the first with regard to Ms) they are not the correct way to evaluate the success of a platform or game release.Microsoft could sell half the console of Sony and still find HUGE success by releasing games on PC console and Cloud at the same time. What people need to understand is that it COULD actually be even more successful than Sony while still selling even half of what Sony does. The same goes for physical games ... now it's the most wrong and reductive way to evaluate a release. Bear in mind that the largest stores they are already thinking about a phase out of the spaces intended for exhibitions of physical games with products that have more economic movement.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said. Personally, if I'm going to talk about Microsoft and Sony and their success or failures then I'm going to talk about them in terms of where the two intersect rather than where they don't. It is the same reason I (or anyone really) talks about Sony and Valve along these lines because they are really not competing with each other. So if Microsoft makes tons of money with xCloud and Sony doesn't even enter that market then I don't see the point of discussing it. Might as well talk about Sony vs Microsoft in the TV or desktop app market. Not much point in either. Consoles are where they do compete and that is still an interesting and valid topic of conversation.

MonarchJT

Banned
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said. Personally, if I'm going to talk about Microsoft and Sony and their success or failures then I'm going to talk about them in terms of where the two intersect rather than where they don't. It is the same reason I (or anyone really) talks about Sony and Valve along these lines because they are really not competing with each other. So if Microsoft makes tons of money with xCloud and Sony doesn't even enter that market then I don't see the point of discussing it. Might as well talk about Sony vs Microsoft in the TV or desktop app market. Not much point in either. Consoles are where they do compete and that is still an interesting and valid topic of conversation.
oh well sure it is interesting! Always if talking we are aware (and we do not intentionally leave out) of how reductive it is in the grand scheme of the topic. In this case, yes, it's still interesting to talk about it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And R&C has about 15 games as well, and DS isnt even a new game, but a remaster. Spiderman MM is similar game to the original Spiderman PS4 game. So if youre going to talk about rehashes, PS is no better.

And it's obvious you said 16 Halo games since launch since MS used to make more frequent. Also, many of them arent even MP shooters. You included Halo Wars and that XBLA Spartan twin stick shooter, a demo VR game and the Halo arcade game to get to 16. The last real Halo game was Halo 5 in 2015. What you did is go to Wiki and saw a list of 16 Halo games.

FH5 has done great. Probably going to be the biggest FH game ever. Already outsold DS and R&C by a mile. And it might even beat Spiderman MM if you give FH5 some time.

So despite you downplaying, people are liking FH5. It's at 4.5M and will probably hit 5M by end of the week.

It's ok to have competing system games do well.

I'm not downplaying anything. If I was, would I have taken pains at every juncture to stress that there's nothing wrong with these franchises?

I'm also not disagreeing with you that FH5 and Halo Infinite are more significant releases than R+C, Demon's and Spiderman MM.

That's the point!

The problem is that the biggest, most high-profile, most anticipated games on Xbox year-in, year-out never really seem to change.

And year-in, year-out we get these same bullish predictions that this holiday's Halo, Gears, Forza, etc. are going to bring the platform to new heights of popularity.

Which poses the obvious question, why this year? Has something drastically shifted in the marketplace? Were the previous games not good enough? Is there some "secret sauce" in these new iterations that makes them unprecedentedly appealing to people who weren't previously invested?

What is it that's going to make 2021's releases different?

The thread topic is about an article that makes such a prediction. And my reaction, is in a word "Why?"

I'm not suggesting the games won't sell well, what I'm saying is why should people suddenly buy Xbox now when these franchises have been staples for years! They haven't come out of nowhere!

Would you honestly argue that Sony promising God Of War, Gran Turismo, and Horizon sequels for release next year isn't having a positive effect on PS5 sales this year?

Spitfire098

Some of these weird ass journalists really want Xbox to "win" what ever arbitrary milestone they created in their heads, just so they can put out their Sony is doomed articles for the next few months.

MikeM

Microsoft is not Sony can take his risks without thinking twice and I would add that as the gaming future looks like Ms is definitely better positioned than Sony: Cloud, Integration with the most used platform (Windows PC) services, number of studios, BC program, platform security. Physical console sales are certainly not unimportant but they are certainly not all that matters anymore. We are no longer in the PS3 / 360 or PS4 / xbo era
Regarding console sales- if GPUs continue their upward costs and abandon the low to mid tier pricing, then i’d argue console sales will become an even greater metric.

Gravemind

Don't think there is much chance of Xbox outselling PS due to the global mass popularity of the PS brand. So if that's what they mean by "beat", then there's not much chance of it imo.

With that said I do think Xbox has put itself in a very good position to be the overall better console experience going forward. It arguable already is right now.

It shouldn’t matter to you if they are bleeding money or not as a consumer.

if anyone in the game can throw money away (they are literally sending out $100 gift cards right now according to Wario64) it’s Microsoft.
You're absolutely right. I loved Xbox when they were funding Japanese games. Will always be thankful for Shenmue 2 and Vesperia.

It lost them money but it was good for gamers.

Hezekiah

Banned
I dont think the typical gamer cares about Deathloop. Already dropped to 10th and 15th in regional charts. Alan Wake Remastered sold more in the US.

FPS with an 88 metacritic, from a well-respected developer. I think it will resonate more with gamers as more PS5s get into the hands of gamers over the next few months.

If it doesn't then that doesn't bode well for Redfall.

skneogaf

This wasn't about pc though really.

My pc is my main thing too but the article is definitely not about pc gaming.

Spitfire098

All those will lose to starfield. You are underestimating how big starfield is for pc community.
Why does it mater which one wins or loses? Shouldn't we just be enjoying the games?

Hezekiah

Banned
Kinda. PS5 and Xbox Series X is still not available in my country (Sweden). Whatever they ship here gets bought. So the one who ship the most will win a sales numbers battle.

Xbox Series S is sitting on shelves though.
There is more demand for PS5 anyway, particularly in Europe, but the gap will be wider over Christmas because Microsoft made a mistake in terms of Series S production. That should have been the minority, far more people want an X than an S.

kingfey

Banned
You have no idea how big Starfield will or won't be whereas we know God of War Ragnarok's predecessor sold 20m. And this thread is specifically about Xbox, not PC.
God of war sold 20m for 4 years on a 120m platform.

Starfield is much bigger than god of war. God of war is exclusive to playstation. Starfield has all 3 system players, granted playstation users will either get xbox or play it on pc.

Steam alone rivals ps4. And with modding on the standby, expect skyrim to hit tons of sales.

This game is from bethesda, the people who made fallout, elderscrolls. They have huge fan base. and their games are critically aclaimed (F076 is from austin, not main bethesda). It took them since fallout 4 to work on the game. And of the great aspect of the game, its space game. A setting which alot of people want to have fun with.

I like god of war alot, but it doesnt hold a candle to what bethesda makes, aside of stability and graphics.

kingfey

Banned
Why does it mater which one wins or loses? Shouldn't we just be enjoying the games?

Pointing him out how big starfield is.

I dont care how much it sells. I just want it now. Game is space. Skyrim in space.

Hezekiah

Banned
God of war sold 20m for 4 years on a 120m platform.

Starfield is much bigger than god of war. God of war is exclusive to playstation. Starfield has all 3 system players, granted playstation users will either get xbox or play it on pc.

Steam alone rivals ps4. And with modding on the standby, expect skyrim to hit tons of sales.

This game is from bethesda, the people who made fallout, elderscrolls. They have huge fan base. and their games are critically aclaimed (F076 is from austin, not main bethesda). It took them since fallout 4 to work on the game. And of the great aspect of the game, its space game. A setting which alot of people want to have fun with.

I like god of war alot, but it doesnt hold a candle to what bethesda makes, aside of stability and graphics.
Again you just repeated two nonsense statements.

Starfield won't out for another year (at least), and we've seen barely anything in terms of gameplay. Saying it's bigger than God of War is ridiculous.

And again I'll repeat what I just said - this thread is about Xbox so I have no idea why you're banging on about PC/Steam. Not relevant, you're just going off on a tangent.

Also great joke about Bethesda and stability/graphics 😂😂😂. You're about seven months late for April Fools however.

kingfey

Banned
Again you just repeated two nonsense statements.

God of war won't out for another year (at least), and we've seen barely anything in terms of gameplay. Saying it's bigger than Starfield is ridiculous.

And again I'll repeat what I just said - this thread is about Xbox so I have no idea why you're banging on about PC/Steam. Not relevant, you're just going off on a tangent.

Also great joke about Bethesda and stability/graphics 😂😂😂. You're about seven months late for April Fools however.
I fixed that for you.

I just want good competition. Also nobody seriously believes xbox series will sell anywhere close to PS5. It can't. It doesn't have the brand strength or worldwide presence.

kingfey

Banned
Utterly clueless if that's what you're talking from this lol.
God of war is great. No one is denying it.

Bethesda games on other hand, is on another level. Most of bethesda games are still alive.

These are bethesda games. They are people still playing these games now. And last game release was fall out 4 in 2015.

These are just steam users. Not counting people who play it on gamepass, xbox, or playstation.

Hezekiah

Banned
"MS's business model is more subscription based across multiple platforms"

That's great but are they turning a profit on that or bleeding money?
That's what they will be working on now.

Forza Horizon might have 4.5m players for example, but a good chunk of those will be playing via GamePass for peanuts. That's why it's so heavy with microtransactions. I imagine Halo will be the same.

kingfey

Banned
I just want good competition. Also nobody seriously believes xbox series will sell anywhere close to PS5. It can't. It doesn't have the brand strength or worldwide presence.
It wont. Unless something happens in 2-3 years, xbox wont surpass ps5 easily. Playstation will need to do ps3 stun to lose to xbox.

teezzy

Banned
Everyone I know who has a Series S/X with GamePass absolutely loves it and has nearly sworn off buying games elsewhere as a result

They're doing something right here

Hezekiah

Banned
God of war is great. No one is denying it.

Bethesda games on other hand, is on another level. Most of bethesda games are still alive.

These are bethesda games. They are people still playing these games now. And last game release was fall out 4 in 2015.

These are just steam users. Not counting people who play it on gamepass, xbox, or playstation.
You're still talking about Steam. And you're talking about Fallout and Elder Scrolls. None of this is relevant to the topic at hand, and frankly you're a dullard to interact with.

I can get more sense from having a conversation with my cat.

Neofire

It won't but I don't know why he thought it would 👀 most of the ps5 versions of games are selling 2-1 and sometimes 3-1.

kingfey

Banned
You're still talking about Steam. And you're talking about Fallout and Elder Scrolls. None of this is relevant to the topic at hand, and frankly you're a dullard to interact with.

I can get more sense from having a conversation with my cat.
How do I explain this to you, so you can understand it.

The company that released these games, is going to release a syfy game. Last game they released a game was 2015. Everyone is paying attention to it. You dont seem to understand it.

The steam I provided was a showcase how big their games are. To find people playing their old games at this age is a big achievement. Most games die like 5 years in to their cycle. You need something to keep them alive. And that is what modders do for bethesda games.

Steam is a big point at this stage, since the game wont hit any playstation system. And xbox still has minor player base, compared to steam.

Platforms: Xbox Series X and Series S, Microsoft Windows

This is where the game would be dropped. No xbox one. Just series console, steam, and that garbage pc MS store.

Lognor

Banned
That's what they will be working on now.

Forza Horizon might have 4.5m players for example, but a good chunk of those will be playing via GamePass for peanuts. That's why it's so heavy with microtransactions. I imagine Halo will be the same.
What the hell are you talking about? Fh5 doesn't have microtransactions, fool. You're in here trying to console war when you don't know shit about these games. So salty that fh5 is doing well. Just sad.

Hezekiah

Banned
How do I explain this to you, so you can understand it.

The company that released these games, is going to release a syfy game. Last game they released a game was 2015. Everyone is paying attention to it. You dont seem to understand it.

The steam I provided was a showcase how big their games are. To find people playing their old games at this age is a big achievement. Most games die like 5 years in to their cycle. You need something to keep them alive. And that is what modders do for bethesda games.

Steam is a big point at this stage, since the game wont hit any playstation system. And xbox still has minor player base, compared to steam.

Platforms: Xbox Series X and Series S, Microsoft Windows

This is where the game would be dropped. No xbox one. Just series console, steam, and that garbage pc MS store.
Blah, blah, blah... why don't you start a blog post and rant to your heart's delight because it's pretty clear you can't see the wood for the trees and are unable to stick to the point.

Hezekiah

Banned
What the hell are you talking about? Fh5 doesn't have microtransactions, fool. You're in here trying to console war when you don't know shit about these games. So salty that fh5 is doing well. Just sad.
Expensive VIP pass whatever.

And I am playing Forza on GamePass so quit whining and acting all triggered....

Top Bottom