• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: "If Xbox can't beat PS5 this holiday, I'm not sure it ever will"

SLB1904

Banned
Turn 10 has consistently shamed Polyphony Digital.
nah-jake-gyllenhaal.gif

The difference is, and it’s a big one, that PS stands alone. Whatever speculation there is for the future it’s still all speculation.
When the zeni games talk was being speculated on, the rebuttal to why PS install base wasn’t needed was because PC has the biggest install base. Now FH5 is the biggest day1 for xgs and we’re pretending that PC has nothing to do with those numbers? The xbox division stands on Microsoft’s shoulders. Now, xgs is being helped immensely by making games available to a huge install base and a subscription service that is usually discounted.
I strongly suggest a low sodium diet

Lognor

Banned
Where does it say it’s the biggest launch or best selling first party or most successful IP ever because of PS PLUS ? Where does it say it sold 37 million ?
You're not making a whole lot of sense (and if English is not your first language, I apologize). But you are acting as if other companies do not talk about number of players. It's not a foreign concept.

Swift_Star

Banned
Isnt miles a big ps5 game, compared to ratchet? Ratchet is niche, which makes it not big.
Laughter Lol GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Let me tell you something about pc players. You are lucky if they pay you 60$. We pc players are very stingy. We wont dip anything, unless its on sale.

good try though.
How is that even remotely true? GoW and now FH5 are top steam day one sellers. lmao.

kingfey

Banned
Isnt miles a big ps5 game, compared to ratchet? Ratchet is niche, which makes it not big.

How is that even remotely true? GoW and now FH5 are top steam day one sellers. lmao.
I was taking a jab at the guy who was trolling.
We Pc players spend tons of money on graphic cards, so these 60$ is nothing to us.

We spent 50$ on days gone. Imagine how many pc players will spend money on those games you typed.

Also miles is spiderman character. It will be much bigger than ratchet, despite the game being on ps4 too.

Ratchet is like metroid series. General people don't have much interest, but hardcore people do.

Hezekiah

Banned
XGS has put out some good games, but as stated Psychonauts is on PS4, and Deathloop is only available on PS5/PC for the next 10 months. Flight Sim is niche and not going to interest the majority of PS4 owners looking to upgrade to a next-gen console.

Forza looks good, and Halo is out soon which will create some buzz, especially being f2p, but the franchise doesn't appear to have the same impact it once had, and with Vanguard, BF 2042 (and Deathloop) PS5 is more than covered for shooters.

All indications are that the sales gap will widen over Christmas. The main thing going against Xbox is the sheer momentum PS5 has, and Horizon is out in February, Gran Turismo in March, and Forspoken in April. Three big exclusives which will get massive marketing campaigns. God of War will likely come out before Starfield too.

kingfey

Banned
XGS has put out some good games, but as stated Psychonauts is on PS4, and Deathloop is only available on PS5/PC for the next 10 months. Flight Sim is niche and not going to interest the majority of PS4 owners looking to upgrade to a next-gen console.

Forza looks good, and Halo is out soon which will create some buzz, especially being f2p, but the franchise doesn't appear to have the same impact it once had, and with Vanguard, BF 2042 (and Deathloop) PS5 is more than covered for shooters.

All indications are that the sales gap will widen over Christmas. The main thing going against Xbox is the sheer momentum PS5 has, and Horizon is out in February, Gran Turismo in March, and Forspoken in April. Three big exclusives which will get massive marketing campaigns. God of War will likely come out before Starfield too.
All those will lose to starfield. You are underestimating how big starfield is for pc community.

wolffy71

Banned
Xbox is behind enough that we are generations before they catch up. Keep up their momentum and maybe next gen theres a chance but even then I'd doubt it.

They just need to focus on their own path with gamepass, pc, and mobile. And thats something they are nailing imo

These kind of articles make about as much sense as hypothetical articles asking if Sony could ever beat Nintendo being outsold by the Switch for almost three years straight. Aka, kind of trash articles no?

There's enough room in the industry now for three very viable platform holders able to see growth and remain sustainable with revenue and profit. It's not like during the 16-bit era where you only really had enough room for two big players (Nintendo and Sega) or the 6th-gen where one platform had an abnormally high marketshare compared to rivals due to a bevy of lucky circumstances in momentum and timing compared to other rivals (Sony).

Articles like this one are antiquated and stuck in the past, in a bad way, and haven't caught up to today's market realities within the industry. It's like saying a record label is financially doomed because their big album isn't in the Billboard Top 10, ignoring that the music industry has grown to the point where Billboard sales are hardly the only metric to measure success these days. It's not the '90s anymore.

Xbox is ALWAYS competing with Playstation and vice versa. Only people scared to talk about facts don't want to have these "types" of conversations anymore.

Sony and Nintendo also compete with each other but a lot of people in those PS5 UK boxed game sales threads probably pretend the Japan software sales stuff doesn't exist, considering Nintendo dominates Sony there even more than Sony does Microsoft in UK for boxed game sales (and unlike in UK, physical is still a pretty big deal in the Japanese gaming market).

So it goes the whole way around; as long as folks want to acknowledge that then, yeah, talk numbers.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Microsoft is not Sony can take his risks without thinking twice and I would add that as the gaming future looks like Ms is definitely better positioned than Sony: Cloud, Integration with the most used platform (Windows PC) services, number of studios, BC program, platform security. Physical console sales are certainly not unimportant but they are certainly not all that matters anymore. We are no longer in the PS3 / 360 or PS4 / xbo era

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I dont think the typical gamer cares about Deathloop. Already dropped to 10th and 15th in regional charts. Alan Wake Remastered sold more in the US.

ManaByte

I dont think the typical gamer cares about Deathloop. Already dropped to 10th and 15th in regional charts. Alan Wake Remastered sold more in the US.

Maybe it needs some more marketing? A couple more State of Plays?

MonarchJT

Banned
According to my wallet Microsoft already won considering I’m not paying $70 for these games.

I’m still waiting for a reason to turn on my PS5 after beating ratchet and clank.

so in that regard, yeah they beat Sony to me. This generation won’t be measured by NpD numbers but value and services the eco system offers.
exactly this .....engagement ...DAU, WAU, MAU , stickyness and user retention are the real metric of success nowdays. Especially when in any case your console, which is not your entire platform unlike the competition and on which your economic model is not confined, it is selling very well. People should stop being tied to the past stuff like this, or physical video game sales figures do almost smiling nowdays.

Last edited:
You honestly don't know what you're talking about. First off, it's "Azure" and it's not a product of that, it's the platform that hosts the service. Just like AWS hosts the service that I work on that serves millions of people.

I don't think Sony has done much with PS Now because A) it's not that viable from a profit standpoint and B) streaming is not, and will not ever be the best experience for reasons of physics. Internet packets delivered over the wire just cannot be as fast as a box plugged into a tv.

"We the fans" are choosing to spend our entertainment dollars on who we think has the games we want to play. How can you say Sony's business is not sustainable when it's making record profits? They are trying to increase their growth, which is why they are doing that. They don't have to expand into PC to survive, that is an absolutely absurd notion not backed up by any kind of data whatsoever. In fact it flies in the face of ALL the available data.

Again...

iu
I agree with you for the most part, but his takes on the matter aren't completely without merit. He misses the mark on several points though.

I think that once Sony saw the writing on the wall, they really stopped promoting and investing into streaming games with PS Now for several reasons, but not for the same ones as you. There's enough subscription services out there that suggests that when done right, it most definitely is viable from a profit standpoint. You're correct that streaming will never give the best experience for playing games compared to local hardware. But that doesn't mean it won't ever become good enough to be successful. Streaming will never be the best way to experience movies or music either, but it's good enough that it's blown well past the traditional formats, and is now even threatening movie theaters. The added user input requirement of games makes the required internet speeds/bandwidth/ping thresholds higher, but they'll get there eventually.

As far as Sony's business being sustainable? That's yet to be seen, but there's definitely data available that suggests it may not be over the long term. Sony's business as far as gaming goes is centered around the single player, story driven, AAA blockbuster experience. It's a wildly popular one to be sure, but it's no secret that the costs to produce those games is increasing at a staggering pace. When the costs start reaching further and further into the hundreds of millions of dollars to produce, a simple slump becomes dangerously prohibitive. 2 or 3 flops would cripple lesser companies at that expense, and the risk increases as those production costs continue to rise.

That data alone is enough to back up why Sony is expanding into pc. As those production costs rise, Sony needs to either lower those costs, or continually break those profit records year after year in order to keep up with those costs. That's assuming that they have up to this point.

There's plenty of data to show why they expanded to include pc. Sony can look at how many consoles they sell on average throughout a gen, as well as the attach rates their exclusive games have. If the math doesn't provide the answer they were looking for, then they need to find enough sales somewhere to make it work... Which is where pc comes in.

"MS's business model is more subscription based across multiple platforms"

That's great but are they turning a profit on that or bleeding money?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony and Nintendo also compete with each other but a lot of people in those PS5 UK boxed game sales threads probably pretend the Japan software sales stuff doesn't exist, considering Nintendo dominates Sony there even more than Sony does Microsoft in UK for boxed game sales (and unlike in UK, physical is still a pretty big deal in the Japanese gaming market).

So it goes the whole way around; as long as folks want to acknowledge that then, yeah, talk numbers.

Well of course lol. Why wouldn't people acknowledge both?

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox's strength going forward long-term will be in the spot of Sony's weakness: the cloud and being able to allow billions of people easy access to a video game

That isn't saying much though. There is little indication at all that cloud has any kind of significant demand and there are already plenty of options available. People keep pointing to the future for cloud when factually it is already here and not making much of an impact at all.

Either way, this isn't about cloud at all. This is about the competition between consoles.

Iced Arcade

Primarily team green... I hope Xbox never takes the lead, #1 position always goes stale and doesn't have to prove anything while the guy behind has everything to prove.

kingfey

Banned
Replace with Coke and Pepsi, ad infinitum. Edison V Tesla. Nike V Reebok. Microsoft V Apple. Amazon V Walmart.

Who gives a shit.
I do. How will people will hear my lousy opinions on the internet?
George Costanza Reaction GIF

Joking aside, people want something to validate them.

From browsing the internet, it seems certain people are deeply attached to certain things. Whether its sport, a famous person, a game or a device.

The more people spend time with their internet identity, the more they define their life with those stuff.

There is a lady who posts everyday about xbox nonstop on Twitter, vice versa for PlayStation.

Some times I wonder if internet was a mistake.

kingfey

Banned
Aren't XSX's still sold out? If they are sold out and sell less than PS5 how the fuck would they beat PS5?
Its the childish argument people want to stick to.

No matter which console sells faster or alot, its all up to the games they provide.

Playstation are best when it comes to single player games, while xbox is great on rpg/Sim/ and online games.

Each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

At the end of the day, you are going to buy either console, and will spend most of your time there. You dont need to know how much they sell.

MonarchJT

Banned
That isn't saying much though. There is little indication at all that cloud has any kind of significant demand and there are already plenty of options available. People keep pointing to the future for cloud when factually it is already here and not making much of an impact at all.

Either way, this isn't about cloud at all. This is about the competition between consoles.
but Xbox is a platform today .....for this reason looking at the Xbox the same way as looking at the PlayStation is stupid. the models are completely different.

AJUMP23

I have a series X I will get a PS5, no company has to win or lose they get the money I decide to give them regardless.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Last numbers we got for Spider-Man: Miles Morales was 6.5M. There are 5M people playing FH5 right now. FH5 could pass 6.5M by Monday, especially with the holiday tomorrow.
i dont think its fair to compare both tbh, miles morales does not have a multiplayer.
furthermore, miles morales is a spin off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom