• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Baldur’s Gate 3 won’t come to Xbox before 2024, Larian suggests

Vroadstar

Awesome response. ....I don't need to have made one. It's not a FPS, it's a point, click turned-based game. Turn down the resolution, framerate and other specs. It's not that difficult.
Ghosts Slick GIF by CBS

L*][*N*K

Banned
I am okay with that, I have too many games to play right now so this game will probably get pushed to next summer anyway

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They can release it Q1 '24, probably enough time that people would be winding down from Starfield, until the DLC comes out.

Neilg

The way multiplayer works in larian RPGs makes me think it's going to get cut. They even gave up on it for halo.
There's every chance split screen players can end up in an area that means not a single asset is shared in memory between each. It's straight up just running the entire game twice.
With how dependant games are on streaming vs the old days of 'load everything for the level into memory and keep it there', I'm surprised they got it working on the PS5 even.

phant0m

And what if split screen requires more memory than the series S has available? Having a console with gimped memory and requiring feature parity is a pretty bad combination.
did you even read his response? it's not hard at all, just turn everything down and memory will sort itself out? he's done it for dozens of games no problem

ugh, lazy devs can't even take 10 minutes to change resolution and cap the frame rate!!

big fat /S if you couldn't tell

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
Awesome response. ....I don't need to have made one. It's not a FPS, it's a point, click turned-based game. Turn down the resolution, framerate and other specs. It's not that difficult.
if (currentEnv == Environments.SERIES_S) {
resolution = resolution * 0.25;
framerate = framerate * 0.5;
}

git add -u
git commit -m "fix: make work on series S"
git push origin HEAD

E Z

Del_X

My guess is 2GB of RAM short.

Xbox should compromise the OS on Series S to free up some memory but I thought they did that for certain games already? That is - just remove streaming features or capture or whatever background downloads when certain applications run.

Del_X

This is why Microsoft will not do a Pro console. The Series X is their Pro console, while the Series S is the baseline.

Honestly, since they already sell games day and date on PC, the PC is more akin to a "pro" machine. Echoing thoughts I had earlier - I think they just end up making their own hardware schedule and maybe do 5-6 years while Sony does 7-8. If they try to keep the Series S around for a full 7 year cycle it's gonna be pretty bad later in the generation. This assumes the hardware can be sold at cost, too.

Last edited:

yazenov

Might as well go exclusive then.

Sony got a free-timed exclusive game without even paying for it. Thanks, MS!

The lowest common denominator next-gen fast food console bit them in the ass.

Lol at all those people who thought the Series S was a genius move by MS. The console is collecting dust at retails and is now affecting the development of games. Poor Seres X owners.

Last edited:

Bry0

This is really embarrassing for ms. Idk what they do with the S. Even if they dropped it it would upset a lot of people to stop supporting it for the gen. They should’ve just launched it as a discless model like Sony. I mean yeah this is only one game as far as we know, but it’s kind of embarrassing and implies they didn’t quite make the right concessions when engineering the “low spec” console. Things are not scaling so simply as “drop the res on the S”

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This whole S series is beginning to to look like and albatross on Xbox's neck. As we're approaching mid-cycle, games are only going to get more ambitious and MS would have to decide if this "parity" business is worth persuing at the cost of goodwill to the consumers.

happy told you so GIF

Not surprised, seems like they only started seriously porting after all the controversy about it not coming to xbox came out. It's going to take them a while to port no doubt. The ram issue on the S not helping either.
I dont think it would be a massive deal if they just dropped split screen for the S, I know it's a massive deal to the warriors on here and twitter, but the people who would play the game on the S probably wouldn't even care.
It would be intreasting to see numbers for how many actually play in split screen on PC and PS5 once the game comes out I would imagine it's pretty niche for this sort of game. Now I play fortnite with my son on the S actually quite often and it runs really well. Baulders gate can't imagine ever wanting to play split screen in this sort of RPG.

yazenov

Not surprised, seems like they only started seriously porting after all the controversy about it not coming to xbox came out. It's going to take them a while to port no doubt. The ram issue on the S not helping either.
I dont think it would be a massive deal if they just dropped split screen for the S, I know it's a massive deal to the warriors on here and twitter, but the people who would play the game on the S probably wouldn't even care.
It would be intreasting to see numbers for how many actually play in split screen on PC and PS5 once the game comes out I would imagine it's pretty niche for this sort of game. Now I play fortnite with my son on the S actually quite often and it runs really well. Baulders gate can't imagine ever wanting to play split screen in this sort of RPG.

I don't think they could even if they wanted to. They are obligated to include it in both consoles due to the parity clause.

So they must remove the split screen feature from both the Series S and X . But I don't think the developer wants to compromise their creative vision, and kudos to them for doing so.

We cannot remove the split-screen feature because we are obliged to launch with feature parity
Microsoft’s policy also means it can’t just remove it from the Series S version and keep it in the Series X version.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Parity with xss will need to be broken at some point I think.

Probably, but that's not going to be a good look optically, especially since there are more Series S owners than there are Series X. Microsoft would essentially be giving the middle finger to the majority of their userbase.

Probably, but that's not going to be a good look optically, especially since there are more Series S owners than there are Series X. Microsoft would essentially be giving the middle finger to the majority of their userbase.
Exactly, however if they aren't getting games or delaying games from parity, that could even be worse.

Last edited:
They can make it so that on the S the two characters cannot be more than a certain distance away from each other. I don’t know if that counts as maintaining feature parity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom