• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Baldur’s Gate 3 won’t come to Xbox before 2024, Larian suggests

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Probably, but that's not going to be a good look optically, especially since there are more Series S owners than there are Series X. Microsoft would essentially be giving the middle finger to the majority of their userbase.
I think they'd probably just drop a split screen mode that barely anyone is going to use before they decide to change their whole console policy.

RickMasters

Parity with xss will need to be broken at some point I think.
I believe so, too.

At some point devs will be in an situation where they could make a series X version easily but decide not to because the series S.

Definitely not one of Microsoft’s good design choices.

Reactions: Isa

Reallink

Again, I don't understand why developers can't just batch convert all the textures to quarter res and run the games FSR upscaled from 480p or 540p. If MS wants to sell potatoes, let them eat mashed potatoes. Series S can run anything PS5/SX could at those settings without even thinking about breaking a sweat.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I mean the XSS can run gears 5 at 60fps no problem, Forza Horizon 5, and many AAA games, but a CRPG with average graphics, no ? Come on. I'm the first to recognize that the XSS is pulling back some games but Baldur's Gate 3 ? Seriously ? The game would run no problem on a day one Xbox One, let's be serious.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

I mean the XSS can run gears 5 at 60fps no problem, Forza Horizon 5, and many AAA games, but a CRPG with average graphics, no ? Come on. I'm the first to recognize that the XSS is pulling back some games but Baldur's Gate 3 ? Seriously ? The game would run no problem on a day one Xbox One, let's be serious.
Please, by all means. Share all the arm chair development experience you have. According to your experience you probably be able to have the game running at 4k downsampled and 120 fps on ps vita as well.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
pulp fiction check out the big brain on brett GIF

SenkiDala

Please, by all means. Share all the arm chair development experience you have. According to your experience you probably be able to have the game running at 4k downsampled and 120 fps on ps vita as well.
Nah it'd be limited at 90fps probably. On Gizmondo though...

Anyway you never know who you're talking to on internet.

Topher

Gold Member

That's not it at all. The problem isn't getting the game to run. The problem is implementing the split screen. That is an issue specifically for XSS due to its memory configuration.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
That’s ok with me. I likely wouldn’t get around to it in 2023. I still need to try the first two in the series.

Last edited:

Fredrik

What's the point of investing all these resources when everyone is gonna be like "durrr ill just wait for it on gamepass durrr"
They get a wider reach when those who wouldn’t play games in that genre can check out the game too without a purchase. And I assume they’ll get a bag of money that cover the expected lost regular sales.

Neilg

. I'm the first to recognize that the XSS is pulling back some games but Baldur's Gate 3 ? Seriously ?

It absolutely can run the game fine. It just cant run the game twice.
Split screen in larian games isn't like normal co op - the other player can take a party member and fuck off to the other side of the map doing their own thing. My guess is if they tethered both players to the same area in memory it would run no problem, and the only issues come up when they get far enough away that there's nothing shared between each player.

Ev1L AuRoN

Honestly had no idea this series even sold well on consoles, very pc centric games.

MS should just let them ship the S version without split screen, hardly anyone would even notice.
That's a slippery slope for Microsoft, they can't open exceptions.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Can they not just have it run at like 3 FPS and crash all the time and put a warning saying that performance will be impacted on the series S on both Xbox Series S, PS5 and Series X.

Now all version have feature parity and the only issue is performance diffrences as specified.

I'm speechless. Do the heck you want to do with the S, but as a Series X owner, I'm extremely disappointed. Dammit.

Exactly. You'd have to be the biggest Xbox fanboy at this point to be a Series X and not be pissed off about the Series S and Microsoft's treatment of Series X owners this gen.

How much you want to bet that the Series S is behind Redfall and Starfield not having 60 fps on X? It's not because of parity but because its harder to implememt when dealing with 2 separate consoles wherein one is much weaker.

MS acting like Series S is their standard console all along is a slap in the face. MS has been worse this gen than even last gen imo. Esp towards Series X aka the core console group.

Eotheod

I'm very intrigued how this game will run on PS5 with split screen. I'm assuming the split screen comes from being local co-op right? It would seem weird of a design choice to have split screen be present during online play, that's for sure.

I remember trying to do split screen for a test prototype of our final year game in uni, fuck me it was hard. Literally had to duplicate everything to ensure it was being seen by both cameras at the same time, have them double tagged so that you could distinctly tell camera 1 or 2 what it was interacting with, store each camera's feedback in seperate files to be called when needed and constantly seeing things just break because reasons.

I both adore the game design opportunities that come from split screen and absolutely loathe it at the same time.

I'm very intrigued how this game will run on PS5 with split screen. I'm assuming the split screen comes from being local co-op right? It would seem weird of a design choice to have split screen be present during online play, that's for sure.

I remember trying to do split screen for a test prototype of our final year game in uni, fuck me it was hard. Literally had to duplicate everything to ensure it was being seen by both cameras at the same time, have them double tagged so that you could distinctly tell camera 1 or 2 what it was interacting with, store each camera's feedback in seperate files to be called when needed and constantly seeing things just break because reasons.

I both adore the game design opportunities that come from split screen and absolutely loathe it at the same time.

Probably fine on PS5 since it's similar to the Series X. The S is the only one with the weird memory set up.

T-0800

I wonder what would happen if they drop the Series S version split screen mode to 480p 15fps just in an attempt to get it working.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I wonder what would happen if they drop the Series S version split screen mode to 480p 15fps just in an attempt to get it working.
Someone replied earlier that Xbox wouldn’t certify the game. That is one aspect.

I would argue a more important one is that no respectable studio will want to ship a 480p 15fps mode to their paying customers just because Xbox are mandating it. At the end of the day, it would be Larian’s reputation that would be damaged by such a move.

Thief1987

Some devs are actually care about their reputation to make stupid things like this. They didn't say that they can't make it work at all, they said that they can't make it work with the desirable quality. And I doubt that "480p 15fps" falls into this category.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
A delay is probably for the best anyway, an RPG going up against Starfield would be considered less than brilliant under normal circumstances.

I'm also pretty sure more people care about this not running on Series S than it running on any other system. If they could monetise making games not run on Series S they'd probably make more money than making it run perfectly.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
A delay is probably for the best anyway, an RPG going up against Starfield would be considered less than brilliant under normal circumstances.

I'm also pretty sure more people care about this not running on Series S than it running on any other system. If they could monetise making games not run on Series S they'd probably make more money than making it run perfectly.
They are definitely threading the needle on release timing unusually well. Delay on PC is not an option or they would be killed so they move it up a month. Launch on Starfield release day on PS5 for extra drama and hype. Then launch later on Xbox since it would be 100% ignored on Sept 6th. Kind of a genius plan.

Topher

Gold Member

BG3 is still going up against Starfield, just not on Xbox. Xbox is probably the least important platform for either game.

I'm also pretty sure more people care about this not running on Series S than it running on any other system.

Yeah....Xbox fans. The attacks on Larian is something else.

Makes you wonder if (and how many) multiplatform games have been held back due to the series S. This is arguably worse than the 360's DVD drive because at least back then you could ship a game on multiple disc's.

Humdinger

Too bad it's top-down. It sounds like an old-fashioned RPG of the sort we haven't had in years. I don't like the top-down perspective, though.

This whole scenario is annoying (although beneficial as it takes away my temptation to buy BG3 at launch and then it get sidelined by Starfield). Microsoft needs to drop the parity requirement. It can still be streamed to the S from the cloud if anyone moans (which they will).

Too bad it's top-down. It sounds like an old-fashioned RPG of the sort we haven't had in years. I don't like the top-down perspective, though.
Give it a try.

I used to feel the same way, never gave the original Fallouts the time of day, but after CP2077 I was still looking for something to scratch that itch and tried Ascent...

One of my favorite games ever and it's iso.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Xbox gamers have games. PlayStation gamers have games. Console warrior stupidity will never cease to amaze me.
It's not even console warrior bait. I pretty much said the same thing right above his comment. It's just a fact that obviously Starfield is a very highly anticipated game for Xbox, and if you think it's a great idea to launch a $70 cRPG on Xbox on the exact same day then that's completely irrational. PS5 being able to have an extremely highly rated cRPG on the exact same day as Starfield is a hugely appealing sales window for the game, since Starfield will have a lot of publicity and is not on PS5. It takes effort to see anything wrong with his comment since it's just basic common sense.

Topher

Gold Member
It's not even console warrior bait. I pretty much said the same thing right above his comment. It's just a fact that obviously Starfield is a very highly anticipated game for Xbox, and if you think it's a great idea to launch a $70 cRPG on Xbox on the exact same day then that's completely irrational. PS5 being able to have an extremely highly rated cRPG on the exact same day as Starfield is a hugely appealing sales window for the game, since Starfield will have a lot of publicity and is not on PS5. It takes effort to see anything wrong with his comment since it's just basic common sense.

The console warrior bait is the suggestion that any of the release dates or the Xbox delay has anything to do with Starfield. The Xbox delay is due to the problems with XSS. Nothing more.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The console warrior bait is the suggestion that any of the release dates or the Xbox delay has anything to do with Starfield. The Xbox delay is due to the problems with XSS. Nothing more.
Literally every one of their release dates is 100% about Starfield. They moved up their PC release a month to avoid it, which is just smart. They are launching on the exact same day as Starfield on PS5 to capitalize on Playstation demand for a WRPG, which again is just smart. They are publicly saying that their delay on Xbox is due to the S, but it also just happens to also make a ton of a sense since most people interested in WRPGs on Xbox will likely be busy for several months. It's 3 smart calls, and all 3 of them are 100% about Starfield.

Macaron

Banned
Xbox gamers have games. PlayStation gamers have games. Console warrior stupidity will never cease to amaze me.
Its stupid if you shill for xbox. When they objectively have nothing going for them.

This game being released months at minimum after PS5 release is another example of that.

Its essentially a "console warrior" thing to call someone a console warrior for objectively pointing out PS5's superiority at the moment, ESPECIALLY with content. Denying this fact is the only "console warrioring" one can do

Last edited:
Top Bottom