• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: HELLBLADE 2 COULD BE XBOX’S MOST IMPORTANT EXCLUSIVE

Krieger

She's a model compared to Fable's female lead.
iu
You sure that isn't a dude? One ugly ass dude who should wear a paper bag on his head.

Wulfer

If those games were so good, why did they shit the bed on xbox? Stop acting like xbox fans have higher standards.
Pretty easy answer to that one! Xbox image and game marketing! No matter what Xbox does, the market/consumers haven't accepted Xbox has good games. Therefore, MS and Xbox need to fix that image. (Redfall should have never come out as that only made things worse.) Clockwork Revolution is a step in the right direction. The game has no match and Sony fans can't compare it to a PS game. That game needs to be perfect before release as does Hellblade II and Fable! Then we see if MS can turn this image thing around.

Last edited:

SimTourist

Too much pressure for a game portraying mental illness. I couldn't play the first game longer than 10 minutes because all the whispering made me feel insane myself.

Beechos

If the graphics live up to the trailers that alone will create buzz for ms no matter how shitty the game itself could turn out to be. Now if the game is good on top of the gfx then it could be the start of ms turning point.

demigod

Pretty easy answer to that one! Xbox image and game marketing! No matter what Xbox does, the market/consumers haven't accepted Xbox has good games. Therefore, MS and Xbox need to fix that image. (Redfall should have never come out as that only made things worse.) Clockwork Revolution is a step in the right direction. The game has no match and Sony fans can't compare it to a PS game. That game needs to be perfect before release as does Hellblade II and Fable! Then we see if MS can turn this image thing around.
What are you talking about? Alan Wake came out on the 360. Quantum Break came out yeeeeears ago.

Sorry bud, Clockwork Revolution does not look good. I don’t think many Sony fans care for that game. Judging by the views on youtube, it doesn’t look like xbox fans care for it either.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
If the graphics live up to the trailers that alone will create buzz for ms no matter how shitty the game itself could turn out to be. Now if the game is good on top of the gfx then it could be the start of ms turning point.
I can't imagine it will turn (or start to turn) anything, but it would be a good looking game with critical acclaim (which I expect).

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

That's the thing.

Again I love Xbox/PS/Nintendo and I spend almost equal time between the 3.

But I've to admit that Xbox games are very often overlooked. Titanfall was an awesome game, most of people who really played it admitted it. Quantum Break is an awesome game, I'm a fan or Remedy games and this one is one of the best. Rise of the Tomb Raider is great too and nobody gave a fuck about this game until it released on PS4, it's really a great episode. Halo Infinite campaign (I exclude the MP because I don't play Halo MP since Halo 3, I'm bored of MP fps) is awesome too, one of the best FPS campaign of the past 5 years.

I won't call it a "Xbox Tax" but for a lot of gamers, Xbox is synonymous with mediocrity and "no games". If a game is an Xbox Exclusive it is condemned by the gamers from their announcement until their releases and even after.

Look at the success of Alan Wake 2, every reviewer loved it, every gamer loved it, same for Control (it doesn't sell anyway though), but Alan Wake 1 was shitted on during a decade, until it comes out on PS and became "ah yes that old CLASSIC GAME"... And which is the most unloved of their games? Bingo : Quantum Break, even though it's an awesome game, as good as AW or Control but it came out only on Xbox.

That is not what I'd call "Xbox tax" (it's dumb) but there's definitely a huge bias against their games. It doesn't change everything, if a PS first party is REALLY bad most people will admit it's bad sure, the consensus will be that it is bad. But let's take an exemple, a fictional game called "blabla", if blabla is a good game, not awesome but still good, a 7/10 game, if it's an Xbox exclusive in the mind of the mass it'll become a shit game, if that exact same game, is a PS exclusive, in the mind of the mass it'll be a great game and even what people end up to call a "hidden gem".

.I played Alan Wake first on PS5 and it was rather mid to me. I probably would feel ripped off if I paid full buck for it. Control is way, way better to me.

Titanfall yes, I liked TF2 and I would probably like TF1 too but hey, it was kept on an underperforming system and it had no campaign. TF2 commercially fell off a cliff too however, and I think not just due to timing. Halo Infinite I liked mechanics wise, but the campaign and open world was trash. MP was bare bones too and battle pass the progression was shit. 343 just fucked up.

Killer Instinct is game I rate among the best fighters, but not in its launch state. This I think is the problem MS has. A lot of their games weren't good enough when they launched, the initial impression is the most important. Alan Wake on 360 was janky as hell, launch Halo Infinite was unfinished, KI launch was unfinished etc etc. Their quality assurance or supervision isn't up to snuff.

I thought the first game was a good example of what a AA game could be. Was it my favorite game? No, but it had an interesting premise despite average gameplay elements. For me, that can sometimes elevate something to be more enjoyable than it theoretically should be.

But a AAA sequel will need to be more than a pretty pseudo-walking sim. The combat and puzzles need more depth, and it needs to be more than “look at graphically impressive setpiece while you slow walk.” I doubt it will be though. They seem to be going all in on making the game a graphical benchmark first, and having gameplay be a secondary priority.

I’d love to be proven wrong, because I liked the first game, but a big sequel with money behind it this time needs to be more interesting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not a single xbox gamer was involved in writing the article, and the OP obviously chose the caps to bait people in.

And people took it.

Everything is the most important something going by VGC's recent coverage.

Wulfer

What are you talking about? Alan Wake came out on the 360. Quantum Break came out yeeeeears ago.

Sorry bud, Clockwork Revolution does not look good. I don’t think many Sony fans care for that game. Judging by the views on youtube, it doesn’t look like xbox fans care for it either.
Alan Wake II came out on Playstation 5 too and it was almost GOTY, why would I be talking about a 360 game? Oh and your right CR looks rough right now; so does Wolverine but, I'm not trashing them. It's easy to trash games that aren't out yet! Strick to Playstation your better at it!

Last edited:

demigod

Alan Wake II came out on Playstation 5 too and it was almost GOTY, why would I be talking about a 360 game? Oh and your right CR looks rough right now; so does Wolverine but, I'm not trashing them. It's easy to trash games that aren't out yet! Strick to Playstation your better at it!
Are you ignorant or something? You quoted me and I was clearly talking about Alan Wake 1 quoting the other dude.

Wolverine looks rough? When did Sony show that gameplay?

Taur007

What's this revisionist bullshit? Hellblade wasn’t even exclusive to PlayStation. It was on PC and timed to PS. Less than a year later it was on Xbox. How you are trying to shoe-horn Enslaved and DMC into this is beyond me. Want to talk about false narratives, start there.

And I didn't say Xbox fans trashed NT, now did I? For the most part, no one gave NT a second thought as far as console wars go. If you are going to talk about those suddenly "turning" on NT then talk about those suddenly championing that studio as well.
PC isn't a console, what other console did hellblade release on?

Topher

Gold Member
PC isn't a console, what other console did hellblade release on?

You are asking questions that I already answered. Either way, no one was beating their chest over an 8 month timed console exclusive. Jesus.....if we gotta put that many qualifiers in front of the word "exclusive" then what's the point of the damn word? lol

Last edited:

Taur007

You are asking questions that I already answered.
I'll say it a little slower this time, what other "console" did hellblade r-e-l-e-a-s-e on?

I'm not talking about a year later. To a casual console gamer who doesn't touch PC, what was the only way to play hellblade during release?

Topher

Gold Member
I'll say it a little slower this time, what other "console" did hellblade r-e-l-e-a-s-e on?

I'm not talking about a year later. To a casual console gamer who doesn't touch PC, what was the only way to play hellblade during release?

Perhaps read slower? What part of "It was on PC and timed to PS" did you not understand? I'm sorry that you believe you have some massive point being made here, but you just don't. Hellblade was not heralded as some grand exclusive for PlayStation. Everyone knew it was on PC and timed on console and it was treated as such. Factually, you did not need a PlayStation to play Hellblade and it was on Xbox within 8 months. Not that big a deal my man

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

demigod

I have never liked a Ninja Theory game. Doubt this will change that but the tech certainly looks impressive.
Same. I was hyped for Heavenly Sword back then. After they delayed the game and made the chick uglier than the first showing, I lost interest. Never bought a Ninja Theory game.

demigod

You are asking questions that I already answered. Either way, no one was beating their chest over an 8 month timed console exclusive. Jesus.....if we gotta put that many qualifiers in front of the word "exclusive" then what's the point of the damn word? lol
MS got you fam, WORLD PREMIERE, EXCLUSIVE.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don’t see this game moving the needle on anything but Eurogamer type reviewers, because it seems tailor made to that crowd. Microsoft is likely spending $200-$300 million for their Viking girlboss betterhelp simulator and, well, lol.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't think that this is the kind of game that should be hyped up this way. The first one was a surprise hit but for wildly different reasons than games like Halo or Starfield tend to be hyped up. Obviously Philly Cheesesteak is desperate for a smash hit in his Xbox portfolio but making this his next poster child is a mistake.

xrnzaaas

As much as I'm hyped - it's not the most important game for MS. The first Hellblade wasn't your typical mainstream product for the majority of the userbase to enjoy. 2 of my friends actually dropped the game because of the poor puzzles and they didn't care about the game offering kind of a different experience. I don't think the sequel will change drastically and gameplay-wise it's not going to be Microsoft's answer to God of War. I don't have a problem with it myself, but it's not going to be a system seller.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Xbox gamers really need to stop inflating the importance of games like this.... adding pressure to the studio and tons of attention to the game itself. It just makes for a bigger target if/when the game fails or is mediocre.

It's that website doing it and it's the MS hate watchers posting about it that is keeping this thread on the first page lol

DavidGzz

And you are contributing to that so…..

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

breaking you got me GIF

Oh wow, you got me, man. I'm actually interested in Xbox games though. The vast majority posting are not unless you mean interested in seeing them crash and burn lol. I'd wager I have way less posts than the haters.

Top Bottom