• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: HELLBLADE 2 COULD BE XBOX’S MOST IMPORTANT EXCLUSIVE

nemiroff

Gold Member
I saw plenty of Astroturfing here in GAF, real honest hype, there wasn't much, and it dimished with every new showing of the game.
Nah, that's obviously just the narrative you're drumming up to fit your agenda (yeah; I've seen your posts..). It's pretty obvious that you're trying to twist simple excitement over what was an upcoming game into something nefarious. Shameful attitude displayed in a forum where I'd assume people would be allowed to be free to display enthusiasm over whatever upcoming videogame without being gaslit and accused by the likes of you.

Disclaimer: I passionately disliked my experience with Starfield.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Nah, that's obviously just the narrative you're drumming up to fit your agenda (yeah; I've seen your posts..). It's pretty telling that you're trying to twist simple excitement over what was an upcoming game into something nefarious. Shameful attitude displayed in a forum where I'd assume people would be allowed to be free to display enthusiasm over whatever upcoming videogames without being gaslit and accused by the likes of you.

Disclaimer: I hated my Starfield experience with a passion.
I can hear the sad violin playing in the background while reading your post.
Oh you poor victim of this cruel society!

SkylineRKR

Well there certaintly a trend going on, perhaps with MS using bogus accounts on a variety of platforms. Some threads and posters are very suspect, like that guy stealth bashing Playstation Studios and hyping up Hellblade as the second coming.

I mean, a fucking Ninja Theory game? Really? If that is how low you have to go then good luck. Hellblade 1 wasn't even all that memorable to begin with? It was another Ninja Theory game and I completed them all. Hell I even kind of enjoyed Enslaved more like many others did.

How hard is it for Xbox/Xbox community to let the quality of a product speak for itself instead doing this incessant overhyping over and over?
The more you hype something the more critical people are going to be when it releases.
It's like they never learn.

Same happened with Sony and the PS3. Next game is going to save our console rhetoric.

I guess its something that happens if a system underperforms. Wishful thinking emerges. The reality is that a turnaround has never been in the cards as far as I remember. Maybe the PS3 Slim did change things up for Sony, but they still trailed behind Nintendo and MS kept their lead in the US.

The Series consoles are where they are and no important megaton isn't going to change this.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Well there certaintly a trend going on, perhaps with MS using bogus accounts on a variety of platforms. Some threads and posters are very suspect, like that guy stealth bashing Playstation Studios and hyping up Hellblade as the second coming.

I mean, a fucking Ninja Theory game? Really? If that is how low you have to go then good luck. Hellblade 1 wasn't even all that memorable to begin with? It was another Ninja Theory game and I completed them all. Hell I even kind of enjoyed Enslaved more like many others did.

Same happened with Sony and the PS3. Next game is going to save our console rhetoric.

I guess its something that happens if a system underperforms. Wishful thinking emerges. The reality is that a turnaround has never been in the cards as far as I remember. Maybe the PS3 Slim did change things up for Sony, but they still trailed behind Nintendo and MS kept their lead in the US.

The Series consoles are where they are and no important megaton isn't going to change this.
The difference is the PS3 was actually improving and making headway (and it wasn't coming off of a console that fell off). Here? The Xbox is in a much tougher situation and losing by much more than the PS3 ever was.

Ar¢tos

I wasn't gaming at all during ps2 or ps3 launch, I only restarted in the 2nd half of ps3 era, so I missed that online perception of the brand.

Sony desperately needs another fail like the ps3 launch to wake up. Ps3 era Sony was amazing, but since the ps4 launched the only inspiring thing they have done is Astro Bot.
They are now a GaaS crap and emotional 3rd person games factory line.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The difference is the PS3 was actually improving and making headway (and it wasn't coming off of a console that fell off). Here? The Xbox is in a much tougher situation and losing by much more than the PS3 ever was.

But why do you give a shit? For a enthusiast consumer of videogames it doesn't make sense worrying about sales numbers beyond there being enough to ensure a flow of content on your current platform of choice. All current platforms (PC (my platform), PS, Xbox, mobile, and even Quest, Steam Deck etc) are most likely beyond a stable point at this stage. It's rather something to celebrate if you'd ask me.. So, what's the point of being concerned about it except childish turf wars.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
But why do you give a shit? For a enthusiast consumer of videogames it doesn't make sense worrying about sales numbers beyond there being enough to ensure a flow of content on your current platform of choice. All current platforms (PC, PS, Xbox, mobile, and even Quest, Steam Deck etc) are most likely beyond a stable point at this stage, so what's the point of being concerned about it except childish turf wars.
Give a shit? I gave a fact (verbatim). I didn't give an opinion on it. One was improving (by the numbers), one isn't (in relation to its predecessor, never mind its competition).

Besides, you obviously give a shit. You're here. :)

Last edited:

Pelta88

The (click bait) cycle continues.

We’re just a couple of months removed from them saying the same thing about Starfield. Redfall before that. I think Titanfall was the first time I saw the narrative that a specific exclusive would be the redemption of the platform. Over a decade ago… And Still Phil remains.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The PS3 100% was saved half way through it's lifespan. And it wasn't due to the Slim either. No reason to change history.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How hard is it for Xbox/Xbox community to let the quality of a product speak for itself instead doing this incessant overhyping over and over?
The more you hype something the more critical people are going to be when it releases.
It's like they never learn.

VGC = Xbox / Xbox community?

90f.gif

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I wasn't gaming at all during ps2 or ps3 launch, I only restarted in the 2nd half of ps3 era, so I missed that online perception of the brand.

Sony desperately needs another fail like the ps3 launch to wake up. Ps3 era Sony was amazing, but since the ps4 launched the only inspiring thing they have done is Astro Bot.
They are now a GaaS crap and emotional 3rd person games factory line.

- Returnal
- Racthet and Clank
- Alienation
- Knack
- Dreams
- The Last Guardian
- Bloodborne
- Farpoint
- Tearaway Unfolded
- Helldivers 2

All say hi!

But why do you give a shit? For a enthusiast consumer of videogames it doesn't make sense worrying about sales numbers beyond there being enough to ensure a flow of content on your current platform of choice. All current platforms (PC (my platform), PS, Xbox, mobile, and even Quest, Steam Deck etc) are most likely beyond a stable point at this stage. It's rather something to celebrate if you'd ask me.. So, what's the point of being concerned about it except childish turf wars.

The bolded is why anybody that's an enthusiast should care. Plus why be on an enthusiast website about the video game industry and also not care about the business of the industry?

Ar¢tos

All say hi!

The bolded is why anybody that's an enthusiast should care. Plus why be on an enthusiast website about the video game industry and also not care about the business of the industry?

- Returnal
- Racthet and Clank
- Alienation
- Knack
- Dreams
- The Last Guardian
- Bloodborne
- Farpoint
- Tearaway Unfolded
- Helldivers 2

All say hi!

- Returnal (original and unexpected for nowadays Sony)
- Racthet and Clank (not much new there)
- Alienation (made long before the purchase, Sony doesn't get much credit for it)
- Knack (mediocre platformer)
- Dreams (released to die, could have had a new life on ps5 and psvr2, but current Sony only cares for GaaS and MM is probably being forced to make a GaaS game or a game with GaaS elements now)
- The Last Guardian (PS3 game basically)
- Bloodborne (I give most of the credit to FromSoftware, Japan Studio only provided tech support and sucked at it (frame pacing))
- Farpoint (ok VR game)
- Tearaway Unfolded (milking assets of Tearaway vita, not a great game, lost all of the charm the Vita version had)
- Helldivers 2 (GaaS crap)

mckmas8808

- Returnal (original and unexpected for nowadays Sony)
- Racthet and Clank (not much new there)
- Alienation (made long before the purchase, Sony doesn't get much credit for it)
- Knack (mediocre platformer)
- Dreams (released to die, could have had a new life on ps5 and psvr2, but current Sony only cares for GaaS and MM is probably being forced to make a GaaS game or a game with GaaS elements now)
- The Last Guardian (PS3 game basically)
- Bloodborne (I give most of the credit to FromSoftware, Japan Studio only provided tech support and sucked at it (frame pacing))
- Farpoint (ok VR game)
- Tearaway Unfolded (milking assets of Tearaway vita, not a great game, lost all of the charm the Vita version had)
- Helldivers 2 (GaaS crap)

So you found a way to move the goalpost literally 10 times, instead of facing the reality that Sony themselves has offered more than what you stated since the start of the PS4 era? Really?

Ar¢tos

So you found a way to move the goalpost literally 10 times, instead of facing the reality that Sony themselves has offered more than what you stated since the start of the PS4 era? Really?
I'm saying that there has been a progressive decline in originality in Sony 1st party studios games since mid ps4 gen.

VulcanRaven

I have Xbox Series S but I'm not excited about this. Graphics look great but the latest trailer didn't do much for me. I haven't played the first one.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I saw plenty of Astroturfing here in GAF, real honest hype, there wasn't much, and it dimished with every new showing of the game.

I guess it depends on how biased and illogical the observer is. Quite a few people paid for the premium version/premium version upgrade just to play the game a bit early, there was definitely some hype for it (hard to hit the year-end sales chart in a single month with no interest).

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I mean, who exactly is being notably original these days and why is this just levied on Sony?

On top of that, where is all this "GaaS crap" that you speak of?
Historically, Sony has been more risk friendly than MS or Nintendo.

The GAAS crap os either in development or already cancelled (like Factions).

CamHostage

I'm hoping Hellblade 2 is well received and is a strong successor in the franchise with a suitable expansion of gameplay systems and dramatic encounters, but in response to the OP...

Going by signs of how play works in the trailer and what they've talked about the game being, it is not going to be Xbox's most important exclusive.

So far, Hellblade 2 seems to be a large-scale version of the intimate, indie concept of the first game, which had niche, specific appear and turned off a lot of people expecting a GoW/Dark Souls level of scope and play depth. This sequel is showing a great expansion over the first game, but it's still doing everything so many people didn't like (single-enemy encounters, events based on emotional resonance rather than player challenge or combat depth,) and it's not showing major new elements which would attract some kind of third audience who aren't already sold from loving the first game or out from hating the first game. Also, it looks great, but MS has many other studios already working on mastering UE5's new abilities (The Coalition is its vanguard team even though Hellblade 2 was announced first, and Coalition has actually shipped a UE5 project since it worked on optimizing Matrix and also was an early Epic partner for Xbox development support and Alpha Point testing,) so I'm not sure Ninja Theory's industrial knowledge is going to trickle down in a significant way? (Ninja Theory are doing other things with scanning and performance capture that might trade around offices, but they're using MetaHumans and Quixel assets and other things that are simply base to UE, not necessarily cutting-edge stuff that nobody else has access to.)

Hellblade 2 will be a mile marker in the Xbox Series lineup just in that it finally completes the promise of the new console announcement from 2019, and also a major release on the important UE5 tech. In terms of sales and user base expansion, though, I would be very surprised if this game changed anything for Xbox at this point. A second Hellblade is a great feather in the cap, but not the type of thing which a publisher would want to stake its future on. (And they're not, so it's fine, this is just another game in the pipeline.)

...It also is not the "most hyped game ever". It just has a very, very long tail of promotion because MS showed it off way before it was ready. Each showing has been an encouraging but somewhat muted response in comparison to some other top-tier products shown at those shows (the full gameplay reveal at the last event had 8 pages of responses, which is good but significantly less than either the Wolverine teaser or leak clip, and the neg-to-pos ratio is usually not in the game's favor.) And MS and Ninja Theory haven't done much promotion of the game besides showing progress reports or a snippet once a year, aside from sharing some Iceland travelogues. (MS and NT have actually been respectably tactful in not overhyping this over the years, after shooting it out of a cannon at TGAs in 2019 and then doubling up with the announcement that it would use UE5; since then, the showings have been suitably focused and spaced out, without over-promising anything that the game can't become and usually without trying to position it as the Next Big Thing for mass market gamers.)

"Now that Ninja Theory is part of Xbox Game Studios, that valuable asset now belongs to Microsoft, and now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's imperative that its exclusivity becomes as important to Xbox as its predecessor was to PlayStation."

Uh, article writer, if you have to remind us because it is so easy to forget that the first game was "exclusive" to PlayStation, (more that it just started in the most profitable target markets before expanding outwards, and that PS Blog gave it some extra visibility since it ran the Dev Diaries and other pieces; also, it came to PC same day as PS4,) maybe it wasn't such a valuable asset important to the previous platform?

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Hellblade 2 not particularly important at all for Xbox.

It's subject matter and tone are very niche for a AAA title. I'm very confident that it's going to end up being a top-tier experience, but it's not going to move the needle much as far as selling hardware or pushing Game Pass subscriptions.

The absolute best case scenario is that it creates buzz/sales somewhere in the ballpark of what Death Stranding did. Which is a nice get, but nothing that's going to change the trajectory of the platform or anything like that.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Historically, Sony has been more risk friendly than MS or Nintendo.

The GAAS crap os either in development or already cancelled (like Factions).
Yeah, but those risks also didn't always pay off. Everyone is being conscious these days about sticking to what works. There's a reason they're leaning more on that — it's working. Besides, outside of an outlier here and there, such as Fat Princess, games these days are not that much different than then.

As for the GaaS stuff, so nothing more than one cancelled game. I'm not going to assume that's all they have coming out.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I hope the game is fun. But yeah......story driven, cinematic, third person, etc. Some here have a long history of deriding games with those attributes.

Yeah, kind of how Game Pass gets made fun of by team blue as a "rental service". I want to own my games brigade while everyone freaks out about PS+ next month. Works both ways my man.

Yea, let's not do this to yourselves, again, Xbox fans.

Let's also not pretend it was just the media hyping these games to no end. We have plenty of posts and threads in this forum that prove otherwise. The 1-2 punch of Redfall and GOTG, Starfield, (and I guess we can add in the Activision purchase) was supposed to be Xbox's big comeback. Instead it led to lower sales than last year and fire sales to get rid of excess HW.

I remember the Heavenly Sword hype. If HB2 was a PS exclusive you'd see the same hype for it from 80% of the forum. As gamers we should be hopeful that we can play another solid game, instead we get post after post of MS hate watchers.

Don't project a pattern of media building up the game to tear it down from this one article and one thread laughing at it. It's paranoid.

That's what they do best here. They clearly see it's a click bait article like the last one but they project it onto people looking forward to the game to war more. It's more fun than actually playing games to them.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, kind of how Game Pass gets made fun of by team blue as a "rental service". I want to own my games brigade while everyone freaks out about PS+ next month. Works both ways my man.

What? Has nothing to do with what I said at all my man.

But yeah, PS+, Game Pass, and my Gamefly account are always forms of getting games without owning them. If someone makes fun of that then talk to them....not me.

adamsapple

Haven't VGC recently published an article about Wukong being the most important chinese games :messenger_tears_of_joy: Went from platform to the whole nation level.

They also wrote about Foamstars being Square's 2024 surprise hit so ... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

If site writer's are fanboys like Destin, McCaffrey or downright shills like Warren or Sams, they're a part of the Xbox gaming community, no?

Do you think VGC's writers are fanboys or shills? Genuine question.

It seems like lots of people are jumping the 'xbox are hyping something' bandwagon, like the post I originally quoted, but the 'xbox twitter' seems to be pretty against VGC's blanket statements from this article as well.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm definitely interested in Hellblade 2. Most important exclusive? Over the hype that Starfield generated? Not a chance.

Xbox's most important upcoming exclusive is not coming out until at least 2026. I'm looking at Perfect Dark mainly. Maybe Elder Scrolls 6

Last edited:

DavidGzz

What? Has nothing to do with what I said at all my man.

But yeah, PS+, Game Pass, and my Gamefly account are always forms of getting games without owning them. If someone makes fun of that then talk to them....not me.

You can make a blanket statement of how Xbox fans hate the type of game HB2 is but I can't do the same about people hating on a rental service on one platform but loving it on another? Both are ignorant and I was showing why.

Topher

Gold Member
You can make a blanket statement of how Xbox fans hate the type of game HB2 is but I can't do the same about people hating on a rental service on one platform but loving it on another? Both are ignorant and I was showing why.

lol.....I didn't make a blanket statement about "Xbox fans" at all. If someone hasn't made derogatory statements about the "Sony template" or "movie games" then my comment doesn't apply to them, now does it?

adamsapple

He also said Xbox community which implies gamers and fans of Xbox. He sure was writing a piece of fan-fiction.

Gamers are hyped but not to the extent of VGC's all caps clickbait headline. That's just manufactured outrage in article form.

SenkiDala

All great games.
Ngl
That's the thing.

Again I love Xbox/PS/Nintendo and I spend almost equal time between the 3.

But I've to admit that Xbox games are very often overlooked. Titanfall was an awesome game, most of people who really played it admitted it. Quantum Break is an awesome game, I'm a fan or Remedy games and this one is one of the best. Rise of the Tomb Raider is great too and nobody gave a fuck about this game until it released on PS4, it's really a great episode. Halo Infinite campaign (I exclude the MP because I don't play Halo MP since Halo 3, I'm bored of MP fps) is awesome too, one of the best FPS campaign of the past 5 years.

I won't call it a "Xbox Tax" but for a lot of gamers, Xbox is synonymous with mediocrity and "no games". If a game is an Xbox Exclusive it is condemned by the gamers from their announcement until their releases and even after.

Look at the success of Alan Wake 2, every reviewer loved it, every gamer loved it, same for Control (it doesn't sell anyway though), but Alan Wake 1 was shitted on during a decade, until it comes out on PS and became "ah yes that old CLASSIC GAME"... And which is the most unloved of their games? Bingo : Quantum Break, even though it's an awesome game, as good as AW or Control but it came out only on Xbox.

That is not what I'd call "Xbox tax" (it's dumb) but there's definitely a huge bias against their games. It doesn't change everything, if a PS first party is REALLY bad most people will admit it's bad sure, the consensus will be that it is bad. But let's take an exemple, a fictional game called "blabla", if blabla is a good game, not awesome but still good, a 7/10 game, if it's an Xbox exclusive in the mind of the mass it'll become a shit game, if that exact same game, is a PS exclusive, in the mind of the mass it'll be a great game and even what people end up to call a "hidden gem".

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Look at the success of Alan Wake 2, every reviewer loved it, every gamer loved it, same for Control (it doesn't sell anyway though), but Alan Wake 1 was shitted on during a decade, until it comes out on PS and became "ah yes that old CLASSIC GAME"... And which is the most unloved of their games? Bingo : Quantum Break, even though it's an awesome game, as good as AW or Control but it came out only on Xbox.
If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Top Bottom