• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: HELLBLADE 2 COULD BE XBOX’S MOST IMPORTANT EXCLUSIVE

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Donald Trump Rnc GIF by Election 2016
Oh, I believe you!

Topher

Gold Member
That's the thing.

Again I love Xbox/PS/Nintendo and I spend almost equal time between the 3.

But I've to admit that Xbox games are very often overlooked. Titanfall was an awesome game, most of people who really played it admitted it. Quantum Break is an awesome game, I'm a fan or Remedy games and this one is one of the best. Rise of the Tomb Raider is great too and nobody gave a fuck about this game until it released on PS4, it's really a great episode. Halo Infinite campaign (I exclude the MP because I don't play Halo MP since Halo 3, I'm bored of MP fps) is awesome too, one of the best FPS campaign of the past 5 years.

I won't call it a "Xbox Tax" but for a lot of gamers, Xbox is synonymous with mediocrity and "no games". If a game is an Xbox Exclusive it is condemned by the gamers from their announcement until their releases and even after.

Look at the success of Alan Wake 2, every reviewer loved it, every gamer loved it, same for Control (it doesn't sell anyway though), but Alan Wake 1 was shitted on during a decade, until it comes out on PS and became "ah yes that old CLASSIC GAME"... And which is the most unloved of their games? Bingo : Quantum Break, even though it's an awesome game, as good as AW or Control but it came out only on Xbox.

That is not what I'd call "Xbox tax" (it's dumb) but there's definitely a huge bias against their games. It doesn't change everything, if a PS first party is REALLY bad most people will admit it's bad sure, the consensus will be that it is bad. But let's take an exemple, a fictional game called "blabla", if blabla is a good game, not awesome but still good, a 7/10 game, if it's an Xbox exclusive in the mind of the mass it'll become a shit game, if that exact same game, is a PS exclusive, in the mind of the mass it'll be a great game and even what people end up to call a "hidden gem".

GIF by Amuse

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's the thing.

But I've to admit that Xbox games are very often overlooked. Titanfall was an awesome game, most of people who really played it admitted it. Quantum Break is an awesome game, I'm a fan or Remedy games and this one is one of the best. Rise of the Tomb Raider is great too and nobody gave a fuck about this game until it released on PS4, it's really a great episode. Halo Infinite campaign (I exclude the MP because I don't play Halo MP since Halo 3, I'm bored of MP fps) is awesome too, one of the best FPS campaign of the past 5 years.

I won't call it a "Xbox Tax" but for a lot of gamers, Xbox is synonymous with mediocrity and "no games". If a game is an Xbox Exclusive it is condemned by the gamers from their announcement until their releases and even after.

Look at the success of Alan Wake 2, every reviewer loved it, every gamer loved it, same for Control (it doesn't sell anyway though), but Alan Wake 1 was shitted on during a decade, until it comes out on PS and became "ah yes that old CLASSIC GAME"... And which is the most unloved of their games? Bingo : Quantum Break, even though it's an awesome game, as good as AW or Control but it came out only on Xbox.

That is not what I'd call "Xbox tax" (it's dumb) but there's definitely a huge bias against their games. It doesn't change everything, if a PS first party is REALLY bad most people will admit it's bad sure, the consensus will be that it is bad. But let's take an exemple, a fictional game called "blabla", if blabla is a good game, not awesome but still good, a 7/10 game, if it's an Xbox exclusive in the mind of the mass it'll become a shit game, if that exact same game, is a PS exclusive, in the mind of the mass it'll be a great game and even what people end up to call a "hidden gem".

Jim Carrey Movie GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That's the thing.

Great post!

Xbox gets a lot of hate in europe.
It has its gems but right now as a pc gamer..

When i want to be up with modern gaming all i need is a ps5 (early access console) and a switch (best gameplay innovation imo)

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
man-just-woke-up.jpg

CamHostage

I remember the Heavenly Sword hype. If HB2 was a PS exclusive you'd see the same hype for it from 80% of the forum.

Er, but do you remember the Hellblade hype? It wasn't nearly at that level, being that it was an "indie" production and not a console launch product unveiled at a major trade show event. And it was sort of a de-facto PS exclusive (albeit it was also on PC at a time where being on any other platform besides one console meant to most that exclusivity didn't count) since Ninja Theory focused on the first launch platforms without confirming any expansion plans.

Hellblade 2 is IMO getting the proper amount of hype for what it is, a sequel to a niche but high-profile independent production expanded in the portfolio now of a major publisher. It's getting praise for its graphics, it's getting excitement for its potential in drama and combat, it's getting trepidation and dismissals for its relationship to a divisive predecessor, and it's getting waves of enthusiasm and fatigue from having been announced four years ago.

Personally, I don't believe things would be different between this being a PS or Xbox product, aside from Microsoft pillaring it too early (and the general placement of it in the Xbox portfolio.) Sure, there's been some extra Console War talk surrounding this over the years, but generally the focus of the hype of Hellblade 2 has been on the product and its showings.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Er, but do you remember the Hellblade hype? It wasn't nearly at that level, being that it was an "indie" production and not a console launch product unveiled at a major trade show event. And it was sort of a de-facto PS exclusive (albeit it was also on PC at a time where being on any other platform besides one console meant to most that exclusivity didn't count) since Ninja Theory focused on the first launch platforms without confirming any expansion plans.

Hellblade 2 is IMO getting the proper amount of hype for what it is, a sequel to a niche but high-profile independent production expanded in the portfolio now of a major publisher. It's getting praise for its graphics, it's getting excitement for its potential in drama and combat, it's getting trepidation and dismissals for its relationship to a divisive predecessor, and it's getting waves of enthusiasm and fatigue from having been announced four years ago.

Personally, I don't believe things would be different between this being a PS or Xbox product, aside from Microsoft pillaring it too early (and the general placement of it in the Xbox portfolio.) Sure, there's been some extra Console War talk surrounding this over the years, but generally the focus of the hype of Hellblade 2 has been on the product and its showings.
Yeah, folks forget that it takes more than graphics. A better game to compare it to for PlayStation is The Order. Many Sony fans were critical of it long before launch and its class leading visuals did not save it (though I'm one of those that cherished it and would love a sequel).

Hellblade II, as a PS5 exclusive, would not see nearly the hype of big boys like God of War, Last of Us, or Spider-Man.

midnightAI

Halo Infinite campaign (I exclude the MP because I don't play Halo MP since Halo 3, I'm bored of MP fps) is awesome too, one of the best FPS campaign of the past 5 years.
That tells you more about the state of FPS campaigns in the past 5 years rather than Halo Infinite being good.

In my opinion, the gameplay of Halo Infinite is fine (I prefer the gun play of Destiny though), but my biggest issue is it was just so damn repetitive and a complete lack of variety in the environment(s?). The story was pretty forgettable also (not terribly important in an FPS to be fair).

Edit: come to think of it, Halo Infinite is probably the best Microsoft first party FPS campaign released in the past 5 years.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It seems like lots of people are jumping the 'xbox are hyping something' bandwagon, like the post I originally quoted, but the 'xbox twitter' seems to be pretty against VGC's blanket statements from this article as well.

You forgot the hidden rule, if MS even mentions a new release in any way, they over hyped it. Now that apparently also holds true for random sites outside of MS's control. LOL

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm saying that there has been a progressive decline in originality in Sony 1st party studios games since mid ps4 gen.

That may be true. But I and most people care most about quality above everything else. I'd choose less originality, but high quality over low quality\original stuff. That's if I had to choose. I know it's silly because in real life we can have both. It's funny because when Sony is original, some people just laughed at it (i.e. Dreams).

Thirty7ven

Banned
You forgot the hidden rule, if MS even mentions a new release in any way, they over hyped it. Now that apparently also holds true for random sites outside of MS's control. LOL

Trying to remember of other cases when a higher up like Sarah Bond went on stage in front of millions and said “game X is one of the most important games ever”.

Or has the mandala effect kicked in and that didn’t happen?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Great post!

Xbox gets a lot of hate in europe.
It has its gems but right now as a pc gamer..

When i want to be up with modern gaming all i need is a ps5 (early access console) and a switch (best gameplay innovation imo)

Does it get a lot of hate in Europe? Or does it just lack love? There's a difference. You're acting as if Europeans actively hate the Xbox brand.

DavidGzz

Nah, this article is being taken and being projected onto Xbox gamers. I agree, the hype isn't crazy but people are again taking this article and claiming it's now the whole Xbox community saying it's the next big thing there are posts confirming this in this very thread. It's like they see it's a clickbait article but at the same time use it to war in here. I mean, I am not surprised given where we are, but it gets tiresome.

Last edited:

demigod

You can make a blanket statement of how Xbox fans hate the type of game HB2 is but I can't do the same about people hating on a rental service on one platform but loving it on another? Both are ignorant and I was showing why.
You want to show those receipts where folks say ps plus is best deal in gaming there champ?

demigod

That's the thing.

If those games were so good, why did they shit the bed on xbox? Stop acting like xbox fans have higher standards.

Pedro Motta

That's the thing.

You lost me at "Halo Infinite has one of the best FPS campaigns of the past 5 years".

Taur007

Right.....cuz Xbox gamers were such huge Ninja Theory fans before the acquisition.

200.gif

Works both ways my man
Show me Xbox fans trashing NT before they were purchased...even though hellblade was exclusive no fans were trashing them. They've always supported Xbox releasing multiplats like enslaved, and DMC to exclusives like ninja blade for 360 and kung fu chaos for og xbox so stop creating false narratives.

twilo99

The concept of exclusivity seems hard to understand for some people.

Not hard at all, the label should be “console exclusive” since this game is not going to be restricted to hardware developed by the publisher, it’s not a console exclusive.

Last edited:
Success of AW2? You may want to look into that one, cause other than critics loving it, the info we have is it most likely bombed.

Last edited:

Bkdk

I'm looking forward to see how people would review the look of this female lead, possible one of the ugliest ever.

Don Carlo

The exact same headlines made round when it was Starfield's time. Anyway, Hellblade is a totally different beast and I actually have high hopes from it.

Xbox gamers really need to stop inflating the importance of games like this.... adding pressure to the studio and tons of attention to the game itself. It just makes for a bigger target if/when the game fails or is mediocre.

Topher

Gold Member
Show me Xbox fans trashing NT before they were purchased...even though hellblade was exclusive no fans were trashing them. They've always supported Xbox releasing multiplats like enslaved, and DMC to exclusives like ninja blade for 360 and kung fu chaos for og xbox so stop creating false narratives.

What's this revisionist bullshit? Hellblade wasn’t even exclusive to PlayStation. It was on PC and timed to PS. Less than a year later it was on Xbox. How you are trying to shoe-horn Enslaved and DMC into this is beyond me. Want to talk about false narratives, start there.

And I didn't say Xbox fans trashed NT, now did I? For the most part, no one gave NT a second thought as far as console wars go. If you are going to talk about those suddenly "turning" on NT then talk about those suddenly championing that studio as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom