• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Nintendo Next Console releasing next year, details leaked

Draugoth

Gold Member
nintendojapanstore-1280x859.jpg

Details:
  • LCD screen instead of an OLED screen to lower cost, to balance out the higher amount of storage required for higher fidelity games.
  • Accept physical games via a cartridge slot
  • At least Over 100GB of internal memory
  • Targeting second half of 2024
  • Portable and Docked Mode

Development kits for Nintendo’s next console are now with key partner studios, with launch planned for next year, sources have told VGC.

According to multiple people with knowledge of Nintendo’s next-gen console plans, the company is likely to release new hardware during the second half of 2024, to ensure that it has ample stock available on day one and to avoid the kind of shortages seen with PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Although specific details on the console are being kept closely guarded, those VGC spoke to indicated that the next-gen console would be able to be used in portable mode, similar to the Nintendo Switch.

Two sources VGC spoke to suggested that the console could launch with an LCD screen, instead of the more premium OLED, in order to bring down costs, especially considering the increased storage needed for higher fidelity games. The current Switch comes with just 32GB of internal memory, while many current-gen PlayStation and Xbox games are over 100GB.

source

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
If this is true, there is no way they haven't been working on this console for the last few years. Which means that all of their comments over that past few years where they said that a new console isn't in development were lies. But again, this rumor could easily be false.

You are all correct, and I just misremembered what was said. Apparently I was conflating, "Not coming out with a successor this year/next year," with, "We're not working on the next generation console yet." I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks for the corrections, and I'll edit my post.

I apologize for spreading some misinformation, and getting people hyped up for some console warring. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Zannegan

If this is true, there is no way they haven't been working on this console for the last few years. Which means that all of their comments over that past few years where they said that a new console isn't in development were lies. But again, this rumor could easily be false.
Where on earth have they said that? I know they've said repeatedly that the Switch is still in the middle of it's lifecycle or that a Switch successor isn't coming in such and such fiscal year, but next gen R&D typically begins almost immediately after the launch of new hardware. Of course it's in development, even if this rumor is complete balogna.

Perrott

Gold Member
Yup. Most likely so they can release an OLED version with a higher price tag just like what we have now.
The galaxy brain move though would be having two SKUs at launch, both with identical specs, but with the screen quality (LCD and OLED) being the differentiator.

supernova8

Banned
1) I suppose "in development" can be interpreted in so many ways that it'd be hard to definitely call it lying
2) did they actually deny it was in development or just say they had no plans to release/announce a new console at that time?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I have a 1TB card on Switch and it's almost full. And I buy a lot of the games physically. Switch has an insanely huge library of games.

So just uninstall crap you aren't using until you actually need it. There's no you're regularly playing nearly 1tb of Switch games.

That's not "advice" in this context, I'm just saying that the Switch 2 definitely doesn't need much internal memory. Animal Crossing and Mario Kart together take up no more than 15gb and most Switches are gonna be those two games and not much more.

Last edited:
I highly doubt the middle of the road OLED screen used on the switch costs significantly more than an LCD. Even cheap chinese phones are shipping with 120 Hz AMOLED displays these days. The only expensive OLEDs are the LTPO ones used in the flagship models than have variable refresh rates from 1 Hz to 120 or 144 Hz. The low refresh rate helps lower consumption for always on displays, but is pretty useless for a games console.

killatopak

You know the Switch can take memory cards, right? 100gb is more than enough for people that don't need a bunch of stuff installed. TOTK is like 17gb.
PS4 levels of data. A single COD which Activision promised or NBA2K will eat that 100gb easily.
I have 1tb of storage on my switch, and the 512gb are cheap.
I understand. My PS4 Pro has 1TB as well. XBX and PS5 can have additional storage as well. I don’t care that it’s cheap. I care that I have to spend MORE just to have access to something that are baseline stuff for everybody else.

Woopah

Of course they were saying a new console isn't in development, they want people to keep buying the switch. Hopefully whatever comes next has decent power but hey it's Nintendo, so probably not.
When did Nintendo say a new console wasn't in development?

JordiENP

PS4 levels of data. A single COD which Activision promised or NBA2K will eat that 100gb easily.

I understand. My PS4 Pro has 1TB as well. XBX and PS5 can have additional storage as well. I don’t care that it’s cheap. I care that I have to spend MORE just to have access to something that are baseline stuff for everybody else.
I agree but we don't know the type of storage on the next switch, but it's definitely going to be more expensive than the hdd on the ps4. For example SD cards are like $50 for 512 but when you buy a tb it goes up to $120-$200

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Of course they were saying a new console isn't in development, they want people to keep buying the switch. Hopefully whatever comes next has decent power but hey it's Nintendo, so probably not.
When did they ever say that? Unless the company is planning on going out of business, a new console is always in development.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Every new console since ever starts development not long as the older one gets launched, so it's normal

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I highly doubt the middle of the road OLED screen used on the switch costs significantly more than an LCD. Even cheap chinese phones are shipping with 120 Hz AMOLED displays these days. The only expensive OLEDs are the LTPO ones used in the flagship models than have variable refresh rates from 1 Hz to 120 or 144 Hz. The low refresh rate helps lower consumption for always on displays, but is pretty useless for a games console.

It's more than enough to warrant either launching with LCD or having both. A huge swathe of the Switch userbase is casuals who want the cheapest option possible to play their AC or MK. Lotta people don't care about OLED even if we do.

Sure, there's always going to be fringe cases where it eats up a lot of space. But again, Nintendo's flagship sits pretty at 17gb and there's probably only a dozen or so games that take up more than that. Again, people just need to delete shit they aren't actually using or buy a bigger card if they absolutely must have access to a selection of big games at all times. If it means charging the majority of us less for a lower base storage I'm all for it.

Zannegan

It's more than enough to warrant either launching with LCD or having both. A huge swathe of the Switch userbase is casuals who want the cheapest option possible to play their AC or MK. Lotta people don't care about OLED even if we do.

Sure, there's always going to be fringe cases where it eats up a lot of space. But again, Nintendo's flagship sits pretty at 17gb and there's probably only a dozen or so games that take up more than that. Again, people just need to delete shit they aren't actually using or buy a bigger card if they absolutely must have access to a selection of big games at all times. If it means charging the majority of us less for a lower base storage I'm all for it.
First party game sizes will increase as Nintendo starts using higher fidelity assets to suit higher res outputs. Even if this weren't the case though, if they want to court huge casual games like CoD, they're going to need more storage. 100GB wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd hope to see them do better since the internal memory almost certainly won't be upgradeable.

Last edited:

killatopak

Look, I don't know why you keep mentioning TotK because that game is irrelevant to this. TotK is effectively BC for a new Nintendo hardware. The standards in which we base on the Switch doesn't apply to this hardware anymore. Obviously it is speculation but one thing that is constant for every succeeding gen even for Nintendo is that game file sizes increases. PS3/X360/Wii file sizes are not comparable to the Wii U/XBO/PS4 gen and so on. Being a handheld doesn't make you immune to this as shown by GB to GBC to GBA to DS to 3DS. Again, the constant is file sizes become larger.

Last edited:

cireza

Reads like the safest guesses you could make about their next console.

Let's add some more :
- it will have a physical form
- it will have buttons, including joysticks
- it will have a battery
- you will be able to hold it
- you will be able to connect it to the internet
- it will be released with games
- you will able to add more storage
- there will be Mario, Zelda and Pokemon games on it at some point

Last edited:

Zannegan

If you have the OLED Switch, how can you go back to LCD? lol

Also sounds like a slightly improved Switch (Performance and storage wise)

Can't help but think of Wii to Wii U.......
Wii to Wii U was a generational leap, just not a very good one. GC to Wii though was only a 2x leap, hardware-wise.

I don't think they mentioned performance in this article though, did they?

Sybrix

I don't think they mentioned performance in this article though, did they?

No, but I'd like to think/assume Nintendo will increase performance on a new system lol, but it is Nintendo so anything is possible.

Given Nintendo's performance 'leaps' between generations historically, its hardly been leaps, more slight jumps.

Pinch of salt with all these rumours but it wouldn't surprise me if this turns into the Switch 2 with very little in the way of a generational leap.

Last edited:

radewagon

I find myself not caring much about what the hardware will be like. I mean, sure, it would be nice to have things like an OLED screen or a decently sized SSD, but at the end of the day it probably doesn't matter. It'll have a Mario Kart that looks basically identical to the Mario Kart we had in the WiiU days and people will eat it up. And we'll have a Zelda title that still has that weird anime/watercolor look from back in the Wii days and people will go nuts for it and claim that Nintendo are geniuses that show how unimportant cutting edge hardware is. The only thing Nintendo needs to do with Switch2 is to make sure that their new console is able to handle, with minimal effort from 3rd party developers, scaled-back releases of popular games. Anything else will be gravy.

My personal wishlist item? A dock that actually does something beyond removing battery-saving underclocks.

If you are scratching with the screen, putting an LCD screen in 2024 because according to rumors, putting 100Gb (a pittance) of internal storage is out of budget, I don't even want to imagine the chip that they will put in it and the cuts that they will have put in it, Nintendo being Nintendo with the money it has earned with Switch.

Top Bottom