• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Nintendo Next Console releasing next year, details leaked

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Expecting it to have two Tegra X1s duct taped together.
Understand Captain America GIF

REDRZA MWS

Hopefully there will be a cheaper variant with an LCD-screen available.

Why?

Because I only play on my big screen(OLED) anyway, so I don´t need a expensive portable OLED-screen I don´t use.
which is exactly why they should release a more powerful home version of their next console, but they wont. Id love to buy a Nintendo home console again, but ive been done with them since the Wii.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Except a lot of Nintendo fans have OLED devices now, it's a massive downgrade to LCD in the way normies evaluate these screens (color, dynamic range, etc.).

12% of all Switches is not a lot. That's including everyone who upgraded. OLED is still absolutely a premium across the board.

Much like the power argument, it doesn't matter, if Switch 2 launches with the next 3D Mario or Mario Kart or whatever people will buy it even if the screen is made of rice paper.

Last edited:
Yeah, whatever they end up doing, I just hope these games can look at least decent on a 65 inch TV. I did not love how Xenoblade looked on my TV. Just blurry really.

I just want their games to have decent hardware, something like Zelda sure deserves a lot more than what it has now. It should at least look clean, none of these flickering shadows and textures and what not.
Yeah, the image quality right now is astoundingly bad for the games that don't render at native 1080p at least. Lots of shimmering and flickering, it's really hard on the eyes.

Tarin02543

According to leaked information, the Switch 2 will feature a custom Tegra T239 processor with multiple CPU and GPU configuration options, allowing developers to choose the appropriate configuration for their games, means that indie developers can opt for battery life, while third-party developers can focus on performance.

With a peak power output of 28.6W when plugged in and 11W in portable mode, NS2 is a powerhouse in a compact package, OLED display supports 4K 60Hz output, 10-bit HDR, and 24Gbps HDMI 2.1, making your gaming experience more immersive than ever before.

Of storage, Switch 2 will have a UHS-II compatible 256GB storage with read and write speeds similar to the Samsung Galaxy S22. This means faster load times and smoother gameplay, allowing you to focus on your gaming without any interruptions.

Tegra T239 processor chip used in the Switch 2 is fully backward compatible, ensuring that all your favorite Nintendo games will work seamlessly on the new device. Additionally, Ampere-based GPU allows for ray tracing and Nvidia DLSS, taking your gaming experience to the next level.

The Switch 2 will maintain the same image quality docked at 60fps, and still run at 60fps in portable mode, albeit without Nanite and Global Illumination. However, there will be upscaling and filtering options for existing Switch games exclusively in docked mode, indicating the use of a backward-compatible API that automatically allocates shader-load across the new cores.

https://www.gizmoweek.com/nintendo-switch-2-leaked-specs-info/

Last edited:
-7” 720p LCD screen
-128gb or 256gb SSD SKUs to choose from
-Significantly more powerful than Switch but not as powerful as Steam Deck, but it’s hard to compare because everything is custom, and Steam Deck uses a lot of resources for the backend and OS
-fancy new gimmick with the new Joy Con
-More smartphone integration with system manipulation, being able to download or change system settings from smartphone without needing a controller
-Able to control certain games with setting smartphones as input devices
-All of NSO + Expansion Pack carries over from Nintendo Account, and Nintendo continues adding to system libraries
-Upscales video content to 4K
-New dock has more capabilities than just plugging in USBs and routing power and video out and in
-Runs games docked in 1080p, 1440p or upscaled 4K depending on the game
-Plays most Switch games, Nintendo updating certain titles to take advantage of added horsepower and higher resolution
-Existing Joy Con and Pro controllers only work with backward-compatible titles
-$399, and like OG Switch, no pack-in games or controllers outside of Joy Con and grip. To keep MSRP down.
-Similar battery life to OG Switch, a low as 2 hours depending on the title being played
-Customizable optional faceplates using Nintendo IP
-Launch window titles include Donkey Kong reboot, Mario Party, Xenoblade, Metroid and Star Fox

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
LCD again would be so disappointing after the Switch OLED (and just in general in 2024). I get wanting to keep costs down, but release a more expensive OLED model together with the LCD kids model then.

Stafford

Time out. Assuming (as is likely) that the Switch 2 is 1 year away at this point, exactly who would know if the screen would be LCD vs OLED? Nintendo, yes. Screen supplier, likely. Anyone else? Since VGC mentioned that dev kits are out in the real world, I imagine their sources are probably developers themselves. Would Nintendo really provide that information to a developer at this stage? Aren't they going to make their games the same either way? So if Nintendo just glued an LCD display onto their devkits, is that any proof one way or another of which direction the final system will be?

So unless VGC's sources lie in a screen supplier, I question how they would know this.

I'm not a techhead, but if you are just search around for info on the T239 chip. This was part of the Nvidia leak and includes strong references to Nintendo. My understanding is that, if it is used, it is sufficient to show the typical Nintendo pessimism is unwarranted.

That's good then. But honestly, can't really blame people for being like that. After all we went from a WiiU to Switch. I do understand it. It would be such a Nintendo thing to just come with something very underwhelming again.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, anyone willing to guess what the specs realistically could be? Equivalent to at least PS4 Pro please? Lmao.

Haha no. It's gonna be more like the base Xbox One, maybe in-between it and the base PS4. More powerful than the PS4 would be a huge surprise. But it will have support for DLSS to help the image quality out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
People really fretting over memory, specs and screens when the most important question is form factor.

The Switch is just not comfortable to hold for an adult male. Hands aren't shaped like that. Can't believe they never realeased ProCons that were basically a pro controller split in half when third parties were doing it. I'd gladly pay to upgrade if they were sold separately.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wasn't it always an LCD screen with just a OLED version coming late in the cycle? Little weird saying it's reverting back to LCD.

What do you mean "always"? They've done that once, with the Switch, which was released in 2017. Even back then OLED was standard for mobile devices, now even cheapo phones have them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you are scratching with the screen, putting an LCD screen in 2024 because according to rumors, putting 100Gb (a pittance) of internal storage is out of budget, I don't even want to imagine the chip that they will put in it and the cuts that they will have put in it, Nintendo being Nintendo with the money it has earned with Switch.

Maybe they are cutting the quality everywhere else, in order to spend the big budget on the best SoC and RAM in the business that money can buy.

Wasn't it always an LCD screen with just a OLED version coming late in the cycle? Little weird saying it's reverting back to LCD.

Correct. Really the only point of the revision was to upgrade to OLED, hence why they went w that for the name.

Otherwise it’s all just minor cosmetic updates.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

LCD in TWENTY TWENTY-FOUR?

Funny GIF

Fuck off Nintendo. Probably the gen where I simply drop consoles all together.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I so infrequently use my Switch in handheld mode I just don’t care about the screen tech tbh. OLED would be nice, but what would really be nice is if it can do native 4K HDR out to my 65” C1 and be fully backwards compatible. I kinda doubt this will happen but if we somehow got OG Switch games running at higher res plus 60FPS, that’s all I’d need famalam.

Knowing Nintendo, though, we’re just as likely to get a butt plug form factor with haptics that make you think you’re seeing 4K

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The Casio F91W has a cutting edge SOC they could repurpose.

LOL! Come on guys. I mean it's possible. But when I say best, I mean best considering the footprint and size of the device. Basically it could be as powerful as the ROG Ally.

Switch 2:

- 16 GBs of RAM,
- 128 GBs of Storage
- 2 "real" TFs

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
if they're not going to substantially upgrade the hardware why bother with a sequel console? doesn't seem like it will have any gimmick over the Switch.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Why?

Because I only play on my big screen(OLED) anyway, so I don´t need a expensive portable OLED-screen I don´t use.
I would pay an additional 100 to 150 bucks for a quality high refresh OLED screen. They can have the normal LCD version, but a more expensive option for those that want to pay for it would be nice.

Backwards compatibility is a sure thing, right? They would be insane to not let people bring over their Switch collections.

BC and a bit more power and it's a slam dunk. No need to overthink this one, so I'm sure Nintendo did.

mystech

Keep in mind this is the first console launch (and development) overseen by Mr. Furakawa. That adds another wild card to the mix along with Nintendos history of adding gimmicks.

It will be very interesting to see where they position this price wise. Especially with the PS5 rumored to drop down to $399 with the slim model. With larger sized games, Nintendo would be smart to have multiple SKUs. I would love to see:

Base Model - $299: 6.5” LCD screen / 256gb Storage

Pro Model - $399: 7” OLED screen / 512gb Storage

They also need to keep SD expansion and add external SSD support via dock.

hinch7

Why?

When you're shipping millions of units every dollar counts. That and OLEDs screens are also harder to source with fewer manufacterers that can keep up with demand, and have less yeilds for mass production.

Nintendo can also save that later for refresh/premium model after a few years, for another iteration.

Last edited:

Woopah

Keep in mind this is the first console launch (and development) overseen by Mr. Furakawa. That adds another wild card to the mix along with Nintendos history of adding gimmicks.

It will be very interesting to see where they position this price wise. Especially with the PS5 rumored to drop down to $399 with the slim model. With larger sized games, Nintendo would be smart to have multiple SKUs. I would love to see:

Base Model - $299: 6.5” LCD screen / 256gb Storage

Pro Model - $399: 7” OLED screen / 512gb Storage

They also need to keep SD expansion and add external SSD support via dock.
Given hw the OLED is selling at $349, I think the base Switch 2 will cost $399 minimum. Probably more for a premium model.

Xellos

AMD's mobile SoC's have difficulty matching PS4 GPU even though they use 15-30 watts. Nvidia can probably do better but Nintendo will probably be conservative with the clocks and memory bandwidth will be another limitation. A more efficient Steam Deck + DLSS is the most I'm expecting, which would be fine because that type of hardware could run any PS4 game and upscale well for the TV.

StereoVsn

I really wish they had an option for Switch 2 OLED for like $50 extra or something. :(

Hell, throw in an extra 100GB of Storage on top of regular Switch and charge extra $100 for Switch 2 Xtreme model!

PeteBull

-Significantly more powerful than Switch but not as powerful as Steam Deck, but it’s hard to compare because everything is custom, and Steam Deck uses a lot of resources for the backend and OS
Those 2 are literally opposite of eachother, since docked switch is about as strong as 1/3rd of xbox one(which is 1,2tf console), steam deck is comparable to ps4 but with lower res, think 720p-900p vs 1080p same games on ps4 with same settings, aka its close to what xbox one can do.
So if u saying its significantly more powerful than switch it should be on pair with ps4 at least, and steam deck is below that :p

Those 2 are literally opposite of eachother, since docked switch is about as strong as 1/3rd of xbox one(which is 1,2tf console), steam deck is comparable to ps4 but with lower res, think 720p-900p vs 1080p same games on ps4 with same settings, aka its close to what xbox one can do.
So if u saying its significantly more powerful than switch it should be on pair with ps4 at least, and steam deck is below that :p

Nah. Plus it’s not just raw specs, y’know. Plus Switch uses mobile chipset from 2015. Steam Deck is vastly more powerful. There’s definitely room in the middle, my man.

Labadal

I only care for backwards compatibility. If they have that, it will be hard to resist a Switch 2 purchase. At least if it gets as many jrpgs as the Switch is getting.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This is like the 50th time this leak has come out. I will wait for Nintendo to say something. And I am sure I will buy it.

StereoVsn

LOL! Come on guys. I mean it's possible. But when I say best, I mean best considering the footprint and size of the device. Basically it could be as powerful as the ROG Ally.

Switch 2:

- 16 GBs of RAM,
- 128 GBs of Storage
- 2 "real" TFs
Would it then have Ally price? How much uptake would Switch 2 have at $700 or more?

Top Bottom