• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Nintendo Next Console releasing next year, details leaked

UnNamed

Banned
If this is true, there is no way they haven't been working on this console for the last few years. Which means that all of their comments over that past few years where they said that a new console isn't in development were lies. But again, this rumor could easily be false.
They have never said a new console wasn't in development. They say no new console in 2023.

Last edited:
Physical cartridges, hell yeah baby.

I feel like a 100 GB is just not enough internally but as long as it accepts these cheap, giant SD cards I guess it's fine. I would also like OLED from the start even if it's just a different model option with a slightly premium cost.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Since basically became a rule, let's put some steps:
- initial rumors about dev kit: check
- rumors about the reveal: check
- company announces that will reveal:
- official reveal:
- launch:

Physical cartridges, hell yeah baby.

I feel like a 100 GB is just not enough internally but as long as it accepts these cheap, giant SD cards I guess it's fine. I would also like OLED from the start even if it's just a different model option with a slightly premium cost.
Switch proved that patches can be more optimized, so 100GB on a Nintendo console could be compared as the 500gb Series S. Still is kinda small, but not bad

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would be surprised if Nintendo didn't release an OLED version, why not just charge an extra $50-$100 for it like a disc PS5? I think the OLED Switch has been really successful. I would actually rather wait for a OLED Switch 2 than buy a LCD one.

Zannegan

No, but I'd like to think/assume Nintendo will increase performance on a new system lol, but it is Nintendo so anything is possible.

Given Nintendo's performance 'leaps' between generations historically, its hardly been leaps, more slight jumps.

Pinch of salt with all these rumours but it wouldn't surprise me if this turns into the Switch 2 with very little in the way of a generational leap.
I see your point. GC to Wii was a pitiful jump, and the Wii U to Switch was too (though, to be fair, it did come halfway through the generation, and as a portable it was a MASSIVE leap over the 3DS). So with those two skips, Nintendo's baseline is about a generation and a half behind the competition in terms of hardware power.

I'm expecting a generational leap. Anything less than a 6x leap over the Switch (about the same gap between the PS4 and PS5) would be a disappointment. Though, as you point out, it's certainly not out of the question.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
First party game sizes will increase as Nintendo starts using higher fidelity assets to suit higher res outputs. Even if this weren't the case though, if they want to court huge casual games like CoD, they're going to need more storage. 100GB wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd hope to see them do better since the internal memory almost certainly won't be upgradeable.

Sure, but 100gb would be 3x bigger than the base Neon model and 1/3 bigger than the OLED. As much as people here want the next Nintendo device to be 4K, I'm pretty sure their 2023 flagship game doesn't even support native 1080p. It's just not a priority for them and we're not gonna see their games suddenly taking up entire system memories.

Look, I don't know why you keep mentioning TotK because that game is irrelevant to this. TotK is effectively BC for a new Nintendo hardware. The standards in which we base on the Switch doesn't apply to this hardware anymore. Obviously it is speculation but one thing that is constant for every succeeding gen even for Nintendo is that game file sizes increases. PS3/X360/Wii file sizes are not comparable to the Wii U/XBO/PS4 gen and so on. Being a handheld doesn't make you immune to this as shown by GB to GBC to GBA to DS to 3DS. Again, the constant is file sizes become larger.

See above. The leap isn't going to be the same as Sony/MS make. The absolute most internal storage the WiiU sold with was what the Switch launched with and I'm pretty sure the Wii had something wild like 512mb because they just didn't concern themselves with digital libraries at the time.

In response to both of these, I predict 128gb personally and that would be plenty for most people.

Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Dammit, it better have OLED. Switch OLED screen is such a massive upgrade over LCD, even Steam Deck’s screen looks like ass next to it. I don’t want a downgrade this gen.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Where on earth have they said that? I know they've said repeatedly that the Switch is still in the middle of it's lifecycle or that a Switch successor isn't coming in such and such fiscal year, but next gen R&D typically begins almost immediately after the launch of new hardware. Of course it's in development, even if this rumor is complete balogna.
1) I suppose "in development" can be interpreted in so many ways that it'd be hard to definitely call it lying
2) did they actually deny it was in development or just say they had no plans to release/announce a new console at that time?
When did Nintendo say a new console wasn't in development?
Every new console since ever starts development not long as the older one gets launched, so it's normal
They have never said a new console wasn't in development. They say no new console in 2023.

You are all correct, and I just misremembered what was said. Apparently I was conflating, "Not coming out with a successor this year/next year," with, "We're not working on the next generation console yet." I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks for the corrections, and I'll edit my post.

UnNamed

Banned
100GB could be even too little.
If Switch2 can access to memory in the same way PS5 and XBOX do, this means no way to play digital games from SD card.

Xellos

IPS LCD is OK as long it has accurate color. OLED would be preferred of course.

128GB + expandable storage seems like a pretty safe guess. 128GB is the minimum for one really big game like RDR2 or CoD.

Stafford

So, anyone willing to guess what the specs realistically could be? Equivalent to at least PS4 Pro please? Lmao.

Robb

Gold Member
LCD screen instead of an OLED screen to lower cost, to balance out the higher amount of storage required for higher fidelity games
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Darn it. I had a strong feeling they’d do this.. It’s Nintendo after all.

Still very sad though.

killatopak

ap isn't going to be the same as Sony/MS make. The absolute most internal storage the WiiU sold with was what the Switch launched with and I'm pretty sure the Wii had something wild like 512mb because they just didn't concern themselves with digital libraries at the time.

In response to both of these, I predict 128gb personally and that would be plenty for most people.
I guess we'll see. There's no point in debating without the actual hardware and data to compare. I'll just say that a big leap is just as likely as a small leap IMO especially if we factor in 3rd party ports or otherwise. I'm only leaning on the big leap because the hardware is rumored to be around PS4 specs. That's the single point of comparison I have in terms of file sizes.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So, anyone willing to guess what the specs realistically could be? Equivalent to at least PS4 Pro please? Lmao.

Really depends what resolution Nintendo is targeting. They might target the same resolutions as current Switch, which means you get this situation that you have not seen in console in a very long time where some % of the console's "power" is just devoted to throwing more pixels at the screen.

Stafford

Between PS4 and PS4 Pro but with a much much better CPU and DLSS to help it punch above its weight.

Really depends what resolution Nintendo is targeting. They might target the same resolutions as current Switch, which means you get this situation that you have not seen in console in a very long time where some % of the console's "power" is just devoted to throwing more pixels at the screen.

Yeah, whatever they end up doing, I just hope these games can look at least decent on a 65 inch TV. I did not love how Xenoblade looked on my TV. Just blurry really.

I just want their games to have decent hardware, something like Zelda sure deserves a lot more than what it has now. It should at least look clean, none of these flickering shadows and textures and what not.

killatopak

It's probably a bit more complex when you add in docked mode if that is still a feature.

the_master

I would be ok with 1k resolution but I think that now a days they will need to make it 4k, which means that we won’t see much difference in visual quality unless there is a big bump on power.
Now a days also, it will be very cheap to male something considerably more powerful

DonF

Hope they better have that cartridge slot retro compatible. I would HATE it if they don't. My switch library isn't that big, but I love the games I have in cartridge and hope to keep playing them once I upgrade.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would be ok with 1k resolution but I think that now a days they will need to make it 4k, which means that we won’t see much difference in visual quality unless there is a big bump on power.
Now a days also, it will be very cheap to male something considerably more powerful
I really have no idea. It is going to be handheld so all those things factor in. They're not going to be some massive resolution screen on it, it's just a waste. So what happens when it is docked, who knows. I think looking at Fortnite on Android devices may be able to sort of get an idea of what it could be capable of, but those are also throttled when playing for a long time.

Hudo

Hopefully one of the launch titles will be the next big 3D Mario. I am really interested what they come up with. And Metroid Prime 4 is gonna be also a launch title, I reckon.

Xtib81

LCD screen you say? What fucking year is it !? However,I'm sure most Nintendo fans don't care about that.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's no way it launches with an OLED screen. Nintendo's not gonna sell a next-gen device for $449 or $499. Gotta cut out the things you don't need, in order to hit that sweet spot of $399 or under. That doesn't really take a leaker to know.

Would be curious if they do go down the road of internal SSD, whether they do a 128gb or a 256. 128 seems low for nowadays, especially given how even major Nintendo games are getting bigger. That storage would fill up fast.

I'm mostly curious to see how it runs new games in docked mode, and if it uses DLSS to upscale anything to 4K outside of video content. Or if the dock this time around is more integral to games running vs just being a shell where video and power come in and go out.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The only thing I honestly care about is that the Switch 2 has DLSS 2. That's the only thing I require.

diffusionx

Gold Member
LCD screen you say? What fucking year is it !? However,I'm sure most Nintendo fans don't care about that.
Except a lot of Nintendo fans have OLED devices now, it's a massive downgrade to LCD in the way normies evaluate these screens (color, dynamic range, etc.).

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
As someone who predominantly plays in docked mode, I would be happy not to pay extra for an OLED screen. There are also concerns about OLED's performance with 30 fps games, which would be a significant downside for me if it's true (considering games on Switch often have an average FPS below 30 lol). However, I believe there might be several versions available, like the Steam Deck, and the OLED model might be slightly more expensive, allowing those who desire that model to opt for it.

It`s slated for Q2 2024,

so christimas.

If I was a betting man, or worse, a Nintendo investor, I would want my product to stay absolutely away from a potential PS5 Pro that is going to launch in the same timeframe.

The whole point of Nintendo quitting the power game is for them having a separate identity (or instilling a fake sense of it in the customer's mindshare), away from Sony and Microsoft.

Oh, and besides, Q2 2024 = between July - September 2024 if you're going by FY and April - June if you're going by normal years, so you're slightly a bit off on the launch window.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
I understand that, but if I was a betting man, or worse, a Nintendo investor, I would want my product to stay absolutely away from a potential PS5 Pro that is going to launch in the same timeframe.

The whole point of Nintendo quitting the power game is for them having a separate identity (or instilling a fake sense of it in the customer's mindshare), away from Sony and Microsoft

It doesnt matter because Nintendo are heavily focused on first party titles.

Skeptical

Neo Member
Time out. Assuming (as is likely) that the Switch 2 is 1 year away at this point, exactly who would know if the screen would be LCD vs OLED? Nintendo, yes. Screen supplier, likely. Anyone else? Since VGC mentioned that dev kits are out in the real world, I imagine their sources are probably developers themselves. Would Nintendo really provide that information to a developer at this stage? Aren't they going to make their games the same either way? So if Nintendo just glued an LCD display onto their devkits, is that any proof one way or another of which direction the final system will be?

So unless VGC's sources lie in a screen supplier, I question how they would know this.

I'm not a techhead, but if you are just search around for info on the T239 chip. This was part of the Nvidia leak and includes strong references to Nintendo. My understanding is that, if it is used, it is sufficient to show the typical Nintendo pessimism is unwarranted.

Eh, barely use my Switch as it is. Doubt i'll have any interest in this at least for a few years.

Dude you’re missing out. ToTK and then Pikmin 4, haven’t used my Switch this much since 2017. Been a banger year and it’s only July. Can’t wait for Mario RPG in November, either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom