• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Resident Evil 3 Remake PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Resident Evil 3 on PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles has two graphical settings: High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing. The High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing can't be enabled at the same time, so there are three different modes available. All three consoles in all modes appear to use a form of checkerboard rendering to reach their stated resolutions.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in all modes render at a resolution of 3840x2160. Xbox Series S in all modes renders at a resolution of approximately 2240x1260. The High Frame Rate Mode disables ambient occlusion on all three consoles https://bit.ly/3NNb9QQ The ray tracing used here seems to be a form of RT GI and RT Reflections.

Last edited:

adamsapple

RT Mode:

Frame Rate StatisticsPS5Series XSeries S
Mean Frame Rate52.9fps54.73fps50.66fps
Median Frame Rate53fps57fps51fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate34fps37fps33fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate42fps43fps39fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate40fps40fps36fps

Non RT mode

100% locked 60 FPS on all 3.

Mean Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms30303 (100%)30303 (100%)30303 (100%)

High frame rate mode:

Mean Frame Rate103.61fps107.74fps100.32fps
Median Frame Rate105fps110fps99fps
Maximum Frame Rate120fps120fps120fps
Minimum Frame Rate76fps82fps68fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate85fps88fps81fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate80fps84fps74fps
Frame Time Counts
8.33ms44059 (84.19%)48230 (88.63%)40726 (80.38%)
16.67ms8271 (15.8%)6189 (11.37%)9941 (19.62%)
25ms1 (0%)0 (0%)0 (0%)
33.33ms1 (0%)0 (0%)0 (0%)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Slight frame rate advantage for XSX, but neither keep a solid 60 fps. Should have used DRS I guess.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize that was RT mode. Without RT, solid 60 all around on high frame rate mode.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Dios mio, it's another one.

Interesting to note that the mean, median and percentile are ahead on both the RT and HFR mode, with non RT being locked 100% anyway.

This one's a bit more decisive than the RE2make one.

Last edited:
Funny to think about all the debates at the beginning of the generation, differences ended up being so minimal.

Definitely agree that they are pretty close. Neither system is getting destroyed in this comparison. I guess all that hype over the power differences lead to minimal ween the two. Which is great to see BTW since both systems are priced the same. Neither buyer is getting ripped off here.

Topher

Gold Member
Definitely agree that they are pretty close. Neither system is getting destroyed in this comparison. I guess all that hype over the power differences lead to minimal ween the two. Which is great to see BTW since both systems are priced the same. Neither buyer is getting ripped off here.

Yep. Vast majority of the games this gen have been so close that I wouldn't think twice about playing the games on either system as far as visuals/performance goes. I can focus on other aspects in deciding. Do I want to Platinum the game? Is it on Game Pass? Etc.

Mr Moose

I think they might've fixed the shimmering on Xbox in this one over RE2, I am not seeing it in the police station part.
Dips mostly in cutscenes where they are trading blows most of the time, during gameplay Series X has a slight edge when there are dips.
60fps is rock solid on all so is probably the way I would play it.

assurdum

Banned
Well no a Series X without optical drive can't be priced 399 bucks in any manner so it's perfectly normal it has the edge in performance in many multiplat. Would have been more interesting to see how a Series X with the same ps5 budget how would have performed.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Yes, the early launch year GDK issues have also been mostly remedied by now, thankfully. The only small difference you see is mostly proportional or close to the GPU differences only now.
I thought he referred more to the talks about the Series X who should destroy ps5 in the multiplat. Not sure what there was of drammaticly worrying in the Series X performance at the beginning of the generation aside run slightly worse than ps5.

Last edited:

Lysandros

XSX seem to be consistently ahead by about 3-4% in this one. Not far off from other games using this engine since the beginning of the generation. XSX' more CUs/18% higher compute ceiling amounting to ~3-4% higher FPS in some cases.

Fredrik

Still I don't get it why Capcom didn't opted for lower resolution with RT in RE2R and RE3R or even RE8. That's absolutely irritating.
I still don’t get why devs don’t let gamers choose the resolution like on PC. When you sit in a couch 3+ meters from a TV you’ll notice lower gfx settings and dropped frames way easier than having less p’s.

yamaci17

I still don’t get why devs don’t let gamers choose the resolution like on PC. When you sit in a couch 3+ meters from a TV you’ll notice lower gfx settings and dropped frames way easier than having less p’s.
i saw some console users who actively fought against the premise of having 3rd or 4rd options (rt+performance, rt+quality or vrr quality modes etc.). whenever you suggest such stuff, someone will come out say "play on muh pc". and when you do choose PC, they will say "muh pc so complicated i prefer my basic modes on console, those improvements are trash and not valuable so i dont even care lololol"

Last edited:

squarealex

RT Mode:

Mean Frame Rate52.9fps54.73fps50.66fps
Median Frame Rate53fps57fps51fps
Minimum Frame Rate34fps37fps33fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate42fps43fps39fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate40fps40fps36fps

Non RT mode

100% locked 60 FPS on all 3.

Mean Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms30303 (100%)30303 (100%)30303 (100%)

High frame rate mode:

Mean Frame Rate103.61fps107.74fps100.32fps
Median Frame Rate105fps110fps99fps
Maximum Frame Rate120fps120fps120fps
Minimum Frame Rate76fps82fps68fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate85fps88fps81fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate80fps84fps74fps
Frame Time Counts
8.33ms44059 (84.19%)48230 (88.63%)40726 (80.38%)
16.67ms8271 (15.8%)6189 (11.37%)9941 (19.62%)
25ms1 (0%)0 (0%)0 (0%)
33.33ms1 (0%)0 (0%)0 (0%)

Median Frame in HFR mode is almost same (a bit advantage for XSX)
So... another bullshit vids from ElAnalysasDelBits (wich I read HFR on PS5 is terrible like 70-85 fps...)

Last edited:

Fredrik

i saw some console users who actively fought against the premise of having 3rd or 4rd options (rt+performance, rt+quality or vrr quality modes etc.). whenever you suggest such stuff, someone will come out say "play on muh pc". and when you do choose PC, they will say "muh pc so complicated i prefer my basic modes on console, those improvements are trash and not valuable so i dont even care lololol"
Lol yeah I’ve stumbled into those people, someone even said that everyone should have the same experience, it was important, choices would split the userbase, or something.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Lol yeah I’ve stumbled into those people, someone even said that everyone should have the same experience, it was important, choices would split the userbase, or something.
On PC it is understandable to have that many options as the hardware used (uses?) to change more frequently than the games themselves do so you essentially have users optimise the games for their HW themselves.
On consoles, the unified, fixed, fully documented, and lean API’s (API wise there you have less layers of abstractions blocking you from understanding what is really happening under the hood and everyone of your users has the same exact specs) HW platform carries some advantages and some expectations.

Do you want to use VRR for 120 FPS modes that fluctuate between 100 and 120? Do you want to use VRR to lock at arbitrary framerates between 48 and 120 Hz (or the rising in popularity 40 FPS mode on 120 Hz modern displays, like LG C9+ so well not that recent even)? Fine.

Do you want to use VRR not to bother locking framerate and have it fluctuate between 40 and 60ish FPS on a console? I am not giving you a cookie and a prize 😂.
Do you want to just stop bother optimising a game for the console HW you sell it from and throw a super deep config system so I can create my own IQ and Performance profiles for you for free? It looks like console gamers like to do work for free in that case. So 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dios mio, it's another one.

PS5 has DualSense, Xbox has no sense.

Dj Khaled Yes GIF by Ka-pow

Fredrik

On PC it is understandable to have that many options as the hardware used (uses?) to change more frequently than the games themselves do so you essentially have users optimise the games for their HW themselves.
On consoles, the unified, fixed, fully documented, and lean API’s (API wise there you have less layers of abstractions blocking you from understanding what is really happening under the hood and everyone of your users has the same exact specs) HW platform carries some advantages and some expectations.

Do you want to use VRR for 120 FPS modes that fluctuate between 100 and 120? Do you want to use VRR to lock at arbitrary framerates between 48 and 120 Hz (or the rising in popularity 40 FPS mode on 120 Hz modern displays, like LG C9+ so well not that recent even)? Fine.

Do you want to use VRR not to bother locking framerate and have it fluctuate between 40 and 60ish FPS on a console? I am not giving you a cookie and a prize 😂.
Do you want to just stop bother optimising a game for the console HW you sell it from and throw a super deep config system so I can create my own IQ and Performance profiles for you for free? It looks like console gamers like to do work for free in that case. So 🤷‍♂️.
We already have some options, and it’s not going away, and games still don’t nail the framerate. So yes I want more options since devs don’t prioritize correctly.

Like, I don’t care about resolution, like at all. I still play in 1080p on PC. Upside, I run everything in Ultra, with RTX on, and while the resolution is lower than if I play on XSX the games still look better on PC, and runs smoother.

Once games start to be too demanding I can choose myself what to lower. Maybe I still want maxed out visuals at 1080p with RTX but don’t care about shadow resolution, or maybe I don’t need ultra textures, or maybe I can change everything to high or mid but still want RTX etc.

Right now, on consoles, if the fps is low then the devs get to hear people cry about how crappy the optimization is and that they should’ve gone with a lower resolution or more aggressive dynamic res.

If we had a resolution option we could just set the resolution lower and play and save the tears for more important things.

yamaci17

We already have some options, and it’s not going away, and games still don’t nail the framerate. So yes I want more options since devs don’t prioritize correctly.

Like, I don’t care about resolution, like at all. I still play in 1080p on PC. Upside, I run everything in Ultra, with RTX on, and while the resolution is lower than if I play on XSX the games still look better on PC, and runs smoother.

Once games start to be too demanding I can choose myself what to lower. Maybe I still want maxed out visuals at 1080p with RTX but don’t care about shadow resolution, or maybe I don’t need ultra textures, or maybe I can change everything to high or mid but still want RTX etc.

Right now, on consoles, if the fps is low then the devs get to hear people cry about how crappy the optimization is and that they should’ve gone with a lower resolution or more aggressive dynamic res.

If we had a resolution option we could just set the resolution lower and play and save the tears for more important things.
yes, all games must give you the option to render at your native screen resolution and have a uncapped frame rate mode. they can easily do so already in PC, so i'm sure the engine is capable of that

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fine, but in that scenario we are doing work for devs for free.. at that point I would stop buying consoles though if that were the only way to move forward.

Sure, but on a fixed HW that 100% of your users have (see why I do not enjoy having long cross generation support with mid generation HW consoles and/or further fragmentation with consoles like XSS ;)?) I still expect devs to do better than force me to work for the devs and optimise the games for them.

Topher

Gold Member
How is it? I'm happy I get the best visual experience. Is it console warrior rhetoric for someone to say that they prefer playing on the PS5 because of the dual sense controller? I don't think it is, nor is my statement.

Topher Topher , this right here. Is it console warrior rhetoric? I'm guessing you will say no.

So why would it be console warrior rhetoric for me to point out that the XSX version of most multiplatform games perform better than the PS5 version, even if it is mostly minimally better.

You don't get the "best visual experience". If that is what you care about then get a gaming PC. And If you said you prefer playing on XSX because you prefer its controller then there is nothing wrong with that. That's not console warrior rhetoric. Bragging about this minimal difference between consoles that you will never notice in the game is the rhetoric I'm talking about. That isn't even about the game at all. It is about the console war.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Topher Topher , this right here. Is it console warrior rhetoric? I'm guessing you will say no.

So why would it be console warrior rhetoric for me to point out that the XSX version of most multiplatform games perform better than the PS5 version, even if it is mostly minimally better.

Relax your tits, mate. Try to smile/laugh from time to time, it helps with your longevity unless you bite some cables or jump off a cliff.

why so serious GIF by Alice Merton

Fredrik

I still expect devs to do better than force me to work for the devs and optimise the games for them.
And how’s that working out for you then?
I’ve been playing for over 40 years, still not seen devs fully understand how important the framerate is. A few devs nail it but a 100% locked framerate on consoles is a gaming unicorn at this point.

Lognor

Banned
You don't get the "best visual experience". If that is what you care about then get a gaming PC. And If you said you prefer playing on XSX because you prefer its controller then there is nothing wrong with that. That's not console warrior rhetoric. Bragging about this minimal difference between consoles that you will never notice in the game is the rhetoric I'm talking about. That isn't even about the game at all. It is about the console war.
Read my original post:

Yep. But I will say that I am happy that I have the console that regularly performs minimally better in head to heads. I get to play the games the best way possible on console. I like that.

I bolded the important part. So I'm not sure why you're bringing up a gaming PC????

And maybe these differences are something YOU Will never notice. Do not speak for me. Maybe I would notice. But the great thing is, I don't need to worry about noticing since VGTech and others do the work for me and show which version performs better. I KNOW I'm playing the best way possible on CONSOLE.

And regarding the dual shock, couldn't one say the same thing? Someone bragging about the minimal difference of gyro or the rumble tech in the dual sense could be console warrior rhetoric too. It's a minimal difference that most people won't notice. Right?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And how’s that working out for you then?
I’ve been playing for over 40 years, still not seen devs fully understand how important the framerate is. A few devs nail it but a 100% locked framerate on consoles is a gaming unicorn at this point.
A bit worse in the last few years, but for a lot of years it worked well. Had convenience of consoles, cheap smaller HW, and unique games that tend to ouch above their weight.

I do know I will not enjoy games more if I get to do per level graphics options optimisation when I realise that spending considerable time to optimise the settings for area Y results in excessive detail loss in area A and B but still not enough for area X. No thanks.

I try to use the Dualsense whenever possible because it’s my favorite controller. However on PC the Xbox controller works better for certain games which is why I have one. It’s a great controller but I wouldn’t use it over a Dualsense unless I feel like it’s necessary for me to.

Unless the performance differences are huge between two platforms i usually just pick one based off the controller I like more. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Read my original post:

I bolded the important part. So I'm not sure why you're bringing up a gaming PC????

And maybe these differences are something YOU Will never notice. Do not speak for me. Maybe I would notice. But the great thing is, I don't need to worry about noticing since VGTech and others do the work for me and show which version performs better. I KNOW I'm playing the best way possible on CONSOLE.

And regarding the dual shock, couldn't one say the same thing? Someone bragging about the minimal difference of gyro or the rumble tech in the dual sense could be console warrior rhetoric too. It's a minimal difference that most people won't notice. Right?

Only minor thing is that the controller is something people do notice, the framerate is something you yourself are admitting not to notice but are happy because you know it is there as others told you it is there.

If someone said that they enjoy knowing the DualSense has some features even though they are not even sure they feel them then yes they would be equally on the console warrior path.

It still leaves me a chuckle as this is what remains of the “variable clocks are a sham, 2 TFLOPS difference is super meaningful and everything else people are saying about clockspeed mattering and other HW differences having a say too are wrong, wait until PS5 games throttle like crazy under load all the time” is a “cannot notice the difference, even in numbers is super minimal, but I am happy it is there on paper at least in some form”.

adamsapple

Only minor thing is that the controller is something people do notice, the framerate is something you yourself are admitting not to notice but are happy because you know it is there as others told you it is there.

That's not what he said, and I would reckon in general more people will notice a loss in response and frames more over what kind of vibration a controller is giving in their hands.

In either case, this patch is not as well optimized as it could. Village was a game built around RT and not something that was bolted on, and it runs better universally there.

If Re4 remake will have RT, it will probably have a better performance profile than RE2 remake since it is being built with that engine feature in mind.

Top Bottom