• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Resident Evil 3 Remake PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

Mr Moose

Is it worth mentioning that PS5 will be outside of its VRR range over 5% of the time in RT mode, meaning it will tear frames over 5% of the time while XSX will do it less than 1% of the time according to the data?

Cause being 5-7% of the time outside VRR range seems like the opposite of a good time to me, might as well disable RT.
There is no screen tearing in this game, it would just show a bit of judder.

… and on top of that Impulse Triggers only offer vibration and not variable resistance.

Correct the triggers are very different. Funny thing is I’ve played games that imitate rumble with the triggers on the Dualsense. They basically change the resistance so quickly that they can mimic rumble in the triggers. Not quite the same but it’s neat when it happens.

Riky

$MSFT
Is it worth mentioning that PS5 will be outside of its VRR range over 5% of the time in RT mode, meaning it will tear frames over 5% of the time while XSX will do it less than 1% of the time according to the data?

Cause being 5-7% of the time outside VRR range seems like the opposite of a good time to me, might as well disable RT.

You can also force 120hz output on the RT mode on Series X and S, if you've got the right TV you can get a pretty good experience.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Looks good on all (3x higher res on PS5/Series X over S but still looks good on S), runs a bit cack in RT mode mostly in cutscenes, solid on all in 60fps mode, HFR mode is fine for a HFR mode but shit for a 120fps mode (like RE2).
PS5 has a slight edge over Series S, Series X has a slight edge over PS5.
DRS should be used in RT and HFR modes but isn't.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

As Mr Moose already clarified, RE engine does not tear (unlike say Ubisoft's AC engine), so when it drops below the threshold, it will manifest as a visible judder, not a torn frame.

Riky

$MSFT
If you are going to suggest it "makes sense" to get the better performing version then it is perfectly logical for others to give reasons that they might not.

That's not what the video is about, there may be some people who will happily game at 1080p compared to 4k or not care about a few less frames because they prefer a controller, Dolby Vision or to force 120hz output. That's fine but it's irrelevant to the statistics in this video.

Riky

$MSFT
How significant that information is depends how big those differences are.

Some people might see it as a massive difference between the two while others see it as being identical.

I don't think VGtech are interested in that, they just compile the statistics, people can then use them how they wish or not at all.

I don't think VGtech are interested in that, they just compile the statistics, people can then use them how they wish or not at all.

I’m obviously talking about you not VGTech. It’s why I like VGs is because they let people decide for themselves which one is better.

According to them I would pick the PS5 version due to having access to the Dualsense controller.

Do you have both consoles?

No but VGs gave us the stats. I don’t need to own both systems to know the performance differences between the two. And as for the controller o own both of them and prefer the Dualsense and it’s features. Even if I owned a Series the performance difference isn’t enough to make not want to play it with a Dualsense.

Why would I lie to you?

Riky

$MSFT
No but VGs gave us the stats. I don’t need to own both systems to know the performance differences between the two. And as for the controller o own both of them and prefer the Dualsense and it’s features. Even if I owned a Series the performance difference isn’t enough to make not want to play it with a Dualsense.

Why would I lie to you?

I didn't say you lied. If you've just got one console it's probably best you get that version.

I didn't say you lied. If you've just got one console it's probably best you get that version.

Honestly even if I had both the PS5 version would be the best one for me. I mean if these multiplatform comparisons had massive differences in them I would already own a Series X. It’s why I had both a Pro and a One X because the differences were massive between the two. With the PS5 and Series I made my choice based off the controller. Again just my personal preference and I’m not pointing a gun to your head.

One machine is ahead in a few GPU metrics by 18% while the other is ahead in few GPU metrics by about 22%, how did you manage to expect "alot bigger differences based on specs" to begin with?..

Oh you know all the stuff that was said in that mega thread that was locked. It’s why my expectations were very different before the comparisons started to come out. But that’s all in the past.

Last edited:
ResyLIo.jpg

It's good that this isn't a repeat of RE2. Those lows could really go low :
XOUxQ95.png

But like it was said countless times, RT mode would benefit from some form of DRS for RE2 and RE3.

Drops that low shouldn’t happen on any platform. They really should have gone with a lower fixed resolution or DRS like you said. Overall though the games are pretty playable on both platforms. Also it’s nice that they have really good 60FPS modes for those of us that are really sensitive to framerate drops.

adamsapple

It's good that this isn't a repeat of RE2. Those lows could really go low :
But like it was said countless times, RT mode would benefit from some form of DRS for RE2 and RE3.

Interesting to note despite the lower low, the overall average was still higher on the Series X version.

Averages can be weird like that.

Frame Time Counts PS5 Series X Series S
16.67ms17235 (78.09%)18666 (81.95%)8562 (48.55%)
33.33ms4803 (21.76%)4063 (17.84%)8877 (50.33%)
50ms32 (0.14%)41 (0.18%)171 (0.97%)

MikeM

Yep. But I will say that I am happy that I have the console that regularly performs minimally better in head to heads. I get to play the games the best way possible on console. I like that.
Sure. If that matters to you, then all the power to you.
Also if you've got both consoles then it makes sense to get the best performing version.
I have both and so long as the PS5 gives me 98% of the visual experience of my Series X, and the game i’m looking at uses the Dualsense properly, then the PS5 version gets my money.

People need to realize that there is more to gaming than simply frames and resolution. If Series X has slightly better resolution or a couple frames higher, then meh (to me), especially if VRR is involved. If in that scenario others prefer the Xbox version, awesome. Do you man.

Interesting to note despite the lower low, the overall average was still higher on the Series X version.

Frame Time CountsPS5Series XSeries S

It’s crazy how close these systems are. Pretty sure if you ran the test multiple you can get different results. I guess if there was a big gap between the two the averages would look pretty different. The results are definitely interesting as they highlight the strengths of each system.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It’s crazy how close these systems are. Pretty sure if you ran the test multiple you can get different results. I guess if there was a big gap between the two the averages would look pretty different.

The differences this gen, when a game is optimized decently for both, will be lesser than PS4 Pro and One X. There will always be outlier cases but otherwise I expect this to be the closest generation for multi platform games in a long while.

The differences this gen, when a game is optimized decently for both, will be lesser than PS4 Pro and One X. There will always be outlier cases but otherwise I expect this to be the closest generation for multi platform games in a long while.

Yes Pro Vs X was pretty massive. So massive that I felt like I needed the One X to have a good experience. I definitely don’t feel the same this time around.

assurdum

Banned
One machine is ahead in a few GPU metrics by 18% while the other is ahead in few GPU metrics by about 22%, how did you manage to expect "alot bigger differences based on specs" to begin with?..
I mean XSX has higher bandwidth, more cus and bigger TF. TF difference isn't exactly huge but bandwidth and CUs have definitely a good advantage so yeah on the paper one can expected a bit more by XSX. Clap to Cerny to have balanced so well the ps5 with less bandwidth and CUs but the higher specs are not an empty space in the XSX sku.
The more shocking to me are the raytracing perfomance on ps5. Not expected such close perfomance to XSX on multiplat, far the contrary.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
That's not what the video is about, there may be some people who will happily game at 1080p compared to 4k or not care about a few less frames because they prefer a controller, Dolby Vision or to force 120hz output. That's fine but it's irrelevant to the statistics in this video.

Did you just compare 4K vs 1080p to a delta of like 2 FPS? Man, I know you are always desperate for a win, but this is too much, even for you.

Fredrik

Why are you all fighting like this over a difference this small? What do you think you are gaining from it? And why do you think anybody care what version you would like to play if you would have both consoles?
Serious question, I want to know.

Go buy a PC if you want the best version. Mod the game and play as Tifa. Enjoy! 👍

Md Ray

Don't speak for me or others. Speak for yourself.

This all goes back to Topher Topher claiming that I said I'm happy I get the best CONSOLE experience was console war rhetoric. I refute that. That's where the dualsense came up. If noting differences in resolution and frame rates is console warring so is talking about differences in controllers. Hint: it's not. I only said that to make a point. Saying you can't make factual statements because it's console warring is laughable.
Kim Richards GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Don't speak for me or others. Speak for yourself.

This all goes back to Topher Topher claiming that I said I'm happy I get the best CONSOLE experience was console war rhetoric. I refute that. That's where the dualsense came up. If noting differences in resolution and frame rates is console warring so is talking about differences in controllers. Hint: it's not. I only said that to make a point. Saying you can't make factual statements because it's console warring is laughable.

Saying you get to play the "best way possible on console" is not a factual statement. It is your opinion.

I tried to tell him.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Frame Time CountsPS5Series XSeries S

Its the low XSX reading thats weird, not the average. That's how statistics works. So long as you have a decent sample size with minimal deviation, the median and mean should take care of outliers such as abnormal highest high and lowest low.

Funny enough I don't play much multiplatform. I miss the days when consoles leveraging their bespoke hardware was common/expected. I recall the kraken developer saying how Sony going for infinity and beyond with SSD speed will allow for memorable set pieces. This is what I like to hear. It's cool when different hardware have unique strengths.

Arioco

Well, I would expect that. The difference between Pro and One X was pretty big.

adamsapple

Every one after poor Lognor :(

Getting about 100fps as well in the 120hz mode, pretty impressive and especially with VRR, good job by Capcom.

Oh yeah, the 120hz mode is the surprise star of the patch, who'd have thunk they'd keep the high resolution on each respective console and be so close to 120hz.

If more RE engine games did aggressive DRS, it would be a flawless 120hz through and through.

Last edited:

omegasc

Gold Member
What puzzles me is how on Earth did they not think of slightly lowering the res (if DSR isn't possible) given that it is pretty clear right in the opening cinematic + main hall that it wasn't keeping good enough framerate on both RE2 and 3.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That is strange, I believe that Re:Engine worked worse on X1X? Or even on RE: 8 for that matter....

omegasc

Gold Member
That is strange, I believe that Re:Engine worked worse on X1X? Or even on RE: 8 for that matter....
on PC they moved from DX11 to DX12 so maybe that's something good for XSX "ports".
That said, even without RT and at the same settings the DX12 version performs worse than the DX11 one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom