• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Recreates Kennedy Assassination

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=6876936

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A new video game to be released on Monday allows players to simulate the assassination of U.S. President John F. Kennedy.

The release of "JFK Reloaded" is timed to coincide with the 41st anniversary of Kennedy's murder in Dallas and was designed to demonstrate a lone gunman was able to kill the president.

"It is despicable," said David Smith, a spokesman for Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, the late president's brother. He was informed of the game on Friday but declined further comment.

Kirk Ewing, managing director of the Scottish firm Traffic Games, which developed the game, said he understood some people would be horrified at the concept, but he insisted he and his team had nothing but respect for Kennedy and for history.

"We believe that the only thing we're exploiting is new technology," said Ewing, a former documentary filmmaker and senior executive with Scottish developer VIS, responsible for games like "State of Emergency." He said he sent Edward Kennedy a letter before the game's release.

Ewing said the game was designed to undermine the theory there was some shadowy plot behind the assassination. "We believe passionately there was no conspiracy," he said.

Traffic Games said the objective was for a player to fire three shots at Kennedy's motorcade from assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's digitally recreated sixth-floor perch in the Texas School Book Depository.

Points are awarded or subtracted based on how accurately the shots match the official version of events as documented in by the Warren Commission, which investigated Kennedy's assassination.

Shooting the image of Kennedy in the right spots in the right sequence adds to the score, while "errors" like shooting first lady Jacqueline Kennedy lead to deductions.

Each shot can be replayed in slow motion, and the bullets can be tracked as they travel and pass through Kennedy's digitally recreated body. Players can choose to see blood by pressing a "blood effects" option.

Players can view the motorcade from a number of angles, including the perspective of filmmaker Abraham Zapruder and a view from the "grassy knoll" where some conspiracy theorists believe a second gunman was stationed.

The game will be available via download for $9.99.

How... classy.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Damn this is gonna get a shitload of free advertising. Hopefully kids don't think it's "cool" and buy it up. :/

FoneBone

Is this a hoax? Kirk Ewing is apparently real, but I can't seem to find any other references online to this game, or to Traffic Games' existence.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
http://www.jfkreloaded.com/

jfkrshot1.jpg

jfkrshot2.jpg

jfkrshot3.jpg

jfkrshot4.jpg

jfkrshot5.jpg

jfkrshot6.jpg

jfkrshot7.jpg

Sounds like a retarded cash in like all those 911 DVDs I've seen on sale. Or "America's Most Wanted".

I mean, it doesn't even sound good. At least the film "JFK", or the JFK episode of Quantum Leap -- those were quality. This just sounds.. I dunno. Shit.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
That "JFK reloaded" icon is in REALLY bad taste. I hope the designers get fucked over some how.

I hope one of them gets shot by some middle american patriot that's a repressed homosexual.

Not really.

edit: Why even make this game? It doesn't sound remotely fun. They passionately believe there was no conspiracy? Who gives a shit?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
radioheadrule83 said:
Why even make this game? It doesn't sound remotely fun. They passionately believe there was no conspiracy? Who gives a shit?

Nah, that's just the excuse. I downloaded the demo before I passed judgement(the demo is the full version, only, your gun is empty and every time you pull the trigger it gives you JFK trivia instead).

There's nothing educational about this piece of shit.

Matlock

Banned
They do say their main point is to PROVE THAT IT COULD HAPPEN. *cough*

I just want to find this at a yard sale in 20 years, shoot the driver, and see what happens.

AeroGod

Matlock said:
They do say their main point is to PROVE THAT IT COULD HAPPEN. *cough*

I just want to find this at a yard sale in 20 years, shoot the driver, and see what happens.

Aim for the gas tank James Bond style.

hobart

radioheadrule83 said:
or the JFK episode of Quantum Leap -- those were quality.

Nothing about Quantum Leap WASN'T Quality. :D

And yes... this has to be the tackiest thing I've seen in a very long time. And I've disliked many a tacky girl.

Chipopo

Banned
Just watched the trailer at the site. Ugh, how disturbing. And CLEARLY made for the controversy, not for some conspiracy disproving bullshit.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This is just disgusting. Maybe I'm a little overly sensistive. It was before my time, but I was always saddened by the assassination, every time I heard, saw, or read something about it. Or maybe just because it happened on the day that would eventually become my birthday.

But this is just fucking nasty.

dem

Eh.. whats so terrible about it?

Theres countless shows on the discovery channel recreating the incident.. are those shows tasteless too?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
naz said:
no respect I tell you... some people should be shot in the head for this shit

:lol

I have no idea whether that was meant to be funny or not, but it was.

dem said:

Theres countless shows on the discovery channel recreating the incident.. are those shows tasteless too?

Uhh, because those shows don't put you in the position of being the shooter and give you the opportunity to "recreate" the assassination by shooting Kennedy yourself?

dem

Nerevar said:
Uhh, because those shows don't put you in the position of being the shooter and give you the opportunity to "recreate" the assassination by shooting Kennedy yourself?

Sorry... I just dont see the big deal.

Someone on the tv show is doing the recreating... what does it matter if its you or them?

Tellaerin

dem said:

A reenactment of a historical tragedy is one thing. A game that recreates the assassination of an actual President and casts the player in the role of the assassin is another.

What's next? A game that encourages players to step into the shoes of John Wayne Gacy, and scores them based on how closely they can recreate his killings? Or maybe a flight sim called 'Tower Toppler', where you pilot planes into the WTC and try to hit the right spots to bring them down, with scoring handled by a 'death toll' counter? After all, those incidents have been the subject of reenactments, too, so there's nothing tasteless at all about building games around them, right? I can't believe you actually see nothing wrong with this.

dem

Maybe I'm an extremely disturbed person... but I dont see whats wrong with any of those ideas. It just doesnt bother me.

Making a "game" out of killing a national leader would be considered treasonous by just about any country if the developer were from the same country as the leader. I also can't imagine that JFK's family watch documentaries on John and Robert's deaths for fun, but imagine the idea that someone has made a game out of recreating the death of a relative of yours and is selling it commercially.

It really seems like a tasteless LamePro gag, not something real.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Tellaerin said:
What's next? A game that encourages players to step into the shoes of John Wayne Gacy, and scores them based on how closely they can recreate his killings? Or maybe a flight sim called 'Tower Toppler', where you pilot planes into the WTC and try to hit the right spots to bring them down, with scoring handled by a 'death toll' counter? After all, those incidents have been the subject of reenactments, too, so there's nothing tasteless at all about building games around them, right? I can't believe you actually see nothing wrong with this.

Please, please, please, get these ideas to a developer like R* who can really run with them. I want my Gacy simulator with rhythm-game molestation sequences.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Tellaerin said:
Or maybe a flight sim called 'Tower Toppler', where you pilot planes into the WTC and try to hit the right spots to bring them down, with scoring handled by a 'death toll' counter?

Too late. Although I don't think it's a 9/11 simulator.

cx7856%20tower%20toppler.jpg

Renegade

Banned
Funny someone should mention this. Me and my friends are making a Jon-Benet Ramsey game. Our main project is Scott Peterson's A wedding and 2 Funerals

lockii said:
So is it really historically accurate? Do you get to see the 2nd gunman?
half of the point of this "game" is to try to reinforce the "lone gunman" theory. because a shitty video game proves to anyone ANYTHING, let alone the biggest "conspiracy theory" ever.

Joe

funny how people are disgusted by this game but are probably the same people that will defend gta to their graves.

belgurdo

Banned
killmaster80: omg haxor ur using magic bullets

And Joe, GTA is pure fantasy (I don't know of too many people who can die from being shot in the chest with a rifle and then be resurrected on the spot by paramedics, do you?), while this is a simulation/possible mockery of a very real event

Top Bottom