• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Recreates Kennedy Assassination

Oni Jazar

Joe said:
funny how people are disgusted by this game but are probably the same people that will defend gta to their graves.

"The characters and incidents used in this story are purely fictional and are not based on any person and/or person's actual experience"

vitaflo

Tellaerin said:
What's next? A game that encourages players to step into the shoes of John Wayne Gacy, and scores them based on how closely they can recreate his killings? Or maybe a flight sim called 'Tower Toppler', where you pilot planes into the WTC and try to hit the right spots to bring them down, with scoring handled by a 'death toll' counter?

Well there is the Waco game where you play as David Koresh in his last stand against the FBI.

http://waco.c-level.cc/

Dragmire

If this were a fantasy-based game where you kill George W. Bush in comical ways, I'd be fine. I might even want to play it. This JFK 'game' is barely even a game.

hobbitx

This seems pretty neat, I tried the demo and tried to take a shot, but all I got was a bunch of fun facts instead of gunshots. Could have at least let me shoot once or twice, damn.

Mashing

I'm really surprised the US government hasn't put a stop to this game yet... I mean they really can't approve of a game in which you kill the US president... fantasy or not..... they probably don't take too kindly to that shit. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up with a "suprise audit from the IRS"

belgurdo

Banned
Mashing said:
I'm really surprised the US government hasn't put a stop to this game yet... I mean they really can't approve of a game in which you kill the US president... fantasy or not..... they probably don't take too kindly to that shit. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up with a "suprise audit from the IRS"

I don't think they can, unless Bush plans to invade the UK

belgurdo

Banned
somethingawful guys said:
Well worth the money. I killed JFK and his driver with one shot. Then the whole motorcade just stopped and I pretty much wiped everybody out. Only a few cops survived.

Sale +1

BuG

This game has already made its way to Australian television and the afternoon news. I was reading this thread when I heard in the background about "outrage over a video game which re-creates JFK's death".

Mashing

belgurdo said:
I don't think they can, unless Bush plans to invade the UK

Oh, I missed that little tidbit.. foreign developer. Well, they could put an embargo on the game and now allow it to ship to the US.... but it's really just a game when you come down too it... a dispicable classless one, but just a game.

border

It's not as though you can't re-create various tragedies in the RTS games that let you play as Nazis or the Roman Empire or whatever. This is more a case of something that is coming too soon, and is too close to Americans.

If this were the assasination of Archduke Fredinand or something, I doubt there would be as much indignation.

gohepcat

Banned
lockii said:
So is it really historically accurate? Do you get to see the 2nd gunman?

Sorry to rock your world but JFK was only shot by one guy. That Oliver Stone makes some good movies, but the truth is always more boring.

Mashing said:
Oh, I missed that little tidbit.. foreign developer. Well, they could put an embargo on the game and now allow it to ship to the US.... but it's really just a game when you come down too it... a dispicable classless one, but just a game.

It's a downloadable title.

olimario

Banned
This game would rock if you could assume the role of JFK and use a bunch of modern weapons to hunt down and kill Oswald.

Zaptruder

Banned
Why stop at modern weapons?

Just put the PotUS in a giant mecha and have him in a plot where the country has been hijacked by the Vice President and he's fighting a one man war to get the country back!

joshschw

the demos great, you cant even shoot:

JFK.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tellaerin said:
A reenactment of a historical tragedy is one thing. A game that recreates the assassination of an actual President and casts the player in the role of the assassin is another.

What's next? A game that encourages players to step into the shoes of John Wayne Gacy, and scores them based on how closely they can recreate his killings? Or maybe a flight sim called 'Tower Toppler', where you pilot planes into the WTC and try to hit the right spots to bring them down, with scoring handled by a 'death toll' counter? After all, those incidents have been the subject of reenactments, too, so there's nothing tasteless at all about building games around them, right? I can't believe you actually see nothing wrong with this.
How many times has a game allowed me to shoot Adolf Hitler in the head? The answer is quite a few. Nobody got terribly upset about that.

olimario

Banned
MetatronM said:
How many times has a game allowed me to shoot Adolf Hitler in the head? The answer is quite a few. Nobody got terribly upset about that.
Are you likening JFK to Hitler? :lol

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
MetatronM said:

gameshorrorhitler.gif

Teh controversial!

Tellaerin

MetatronM said:

Of course not. If you can't understand why that is without having it spelled out, then there's something seriously wrong with you.

TheDiave

Banned
This is in very poor taste, IMO. Granted, I'm one of those people who's sick of news/tv/etc. making a big deal over 9/11 even though it was several years ago now, but this is different. We're talking about the death of one of America's most beloved leaders, and a game where you actually orchestrate his assassination.

Top Bottom