• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Salazar

daedalius said:
Titus in Deathwatch! With a ship, and a squad, going to different planets to uncover a tech heresy! So, not a sequel, just working for the Inquisition now ;)

Naw, recruitment, initiation, progress through ranks - encounters with varied nasty stuff.

Give him rivals, mentors, the capacity to train. They can still make it a fairly straightforward game: it doesn't have to be a full-blown RPG.

daedalius

Salazar said:
Naw, recruitment, initiation, progress through ranks - encounters with varied nasty stuff.

Give him rivals, mentors, the capacity to train. They can still make it a fairly straightforward game: it doesn't have to be a full-blown RPG.

I guess I'd rather it just be like Chaos Rising, but in Space Marine instead of DoW2 ;)

Narag

daedalius said:
I guess I'd rather it just be like Chaos Rising, but in Space Marine instead of DoW2 ;)

I still wish there were mod tools so someone could recreate DoW II campaign stuff for us.

Salazar

I understand if they don't want to alienate the folks who expect to start the game and within a minute be obliterating orks until the moment they switch off. I can see where those folks are coming from.

But this game will have to change or add quite a bit on any second outing. The people who are thrilled by more of the same will be handily outnumbered by the disappointedly indifferent.

Has anybody here actually made it to lvl 41 yet?

I'm gonna re-add the GAF40K tag, cause I forgot about the horde mode coming soon, and I figure that might be a good way to crank out the last 10 lvls or so.

On the otherhand, the game hands out EXP so handily, I might just jump into matches here or there, turn off the sound, and play while I listen to podcasts.

Salazar said:
But this game will have to change or add quite a bit on any second outing. The people who are thrilled by more of the same will be handily outnumbered by the disappointedly indifferent.
Bring over as much Dawn of War 2 gameplay elements as possible without turning it into a strategy game imho. WarGear, accessories, choosing planets to assault/defend from orbit, co-op, play the campaign as various factions, etc.

Say up to four marines at once in co-op (or two to three if that's too much), filled in with selected/unlocked AI units if no other players are available. AI units would just be backup, no need for squad controls in this kind of game methinks. Drawing fire and covering flanks would be helpful.

Throw in a mission editor and mod support and the sequel could live for an eternity in the hearts of 40K fans everywhere.

Don't have enough multiplayer experience to really comment there, except for the obvious requests for better netcode/dedicated servers/more maps.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just rented it today and playing it on Hard. Just wanted to note how visually impressive it is.

Salazar

NullPointer said:
Say up to four marines at once in co-op (or two to three if that's too much), filled in with selected/unlocked AI units if no other players are available. AI units would just be backup, no need for squad controls in this kind of game methinks. Drawing fire and covering flanks would be helpful.

I'd love to get excited about Exterminatus, but they still won't clarify shit.

Ultramarines omnibus is pretty damned good. Shouldn't have left it this long to read it.

I've never played Warhammer in my life, but I've seen a few videos of this game and it looks interesting. Would I enjoy it if I don't know anything about the Warhammer universe?

Salazar said:

Needs gear options and an ability to customize/decorate armour.

Also...what someone else said previously, optional purity seals and decorations, etc to adorn one's armour with as achievements/trophies are unlocked.

The story...the could go anywhere with the story and I would be happy.

Fuckin' Drogan.
Giving Inquisitors a bad name. I wasn't surprised by the way the story turned but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Salazar

Incendiary said:
Would I enjoy it if I don't know anything about the Warhammer universe?

Yes. There is a feeling of ludicrous power that doesn't go entirely away even when the difficulty ramps up.

Salazar said:
Yes. There is a feeling of ludicrous power that doesn't go entirely away even when the difficulty ramps up.

The point near the end where you have
Blood Ravens AND other Ultramarines fighting alongside Titus was just SO awesome.
They could have had another 15 minutes of that with just non-stop shooting, stabbing and explosions and I would have been thrilled.

...probably would have had a joy-induced stroke...but that's alright too.

Xevren

bigdaddygamebot said:
The point near the end where you have
Blood Ravens AND other Ultramarines fighting alongside Titus was just SO awesome.
They could have had another 15 minutes of that with just non-stop shooting, stabbing and explosions and I would have been thrilled.

...probably would have had a joy-induced stroke...but that's alright too.

That part was fantastic. Wish it more things like it.

Well, Vinny Caravella knocked over Space Marine on Sunday, according to the new Bombcast, and rather enjoyed himself. Despite the IP jibes from last week, everyone seems quite fond of ol' Space Marine at GB now. Good to hear.

Not that Space Marine requires an echo-chamber to validate its awesomeness, but still.

daedalius said:
Would you really have rather circle strafed him with the meltagun for 5 minutes? :p

Well it went on forever, and there was at least 45 seconds of "LMB LMB spacebar" looped over and over :p I don't really care though, I greatly enjoyed the set piece battles right before the boss.

My number one wish for a sequel- different planets, more outdoors environments, or if indoors, way more varied architecture. And vehicles for enemies- I loved how tons of the Ork and Chaos units from DoW 2 showed up, but I would have been delighted to fight Looted Tanks, Battle Wagons, Killa Kans, Chaos Dreadnoughts, etc.

Much fewer bland corridors, and none of these constant and rather annoying sequences of "run through empty room, press green button to open door, run through 2 more empty rooms, press next green button to ride super slow elevator." That was just pure padding the game length right there, when a significant portion of your game is running through halls and pressing green buttons =/

The core combat is too good though, this game "gets" the blending of melee/ranged fighting like very few others. OK one more wish, make melee combat a little more varied.

FieryBalrog said:
I loved how tons of the Ork and Chaos units from DoW 2 showed up

One thing to clear up, since I read an earlier post with a potentially similar comment: No unit that exists in Space Marine is a re-used asset from Dawn of War 1/2/expac. I would have to confirm 100%, but I feel confident saying that the same goes for environment art / set dressing as well :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Got another bugged Seize Ground match last night.

Hope they can patch these problems soon, but given how long it takes for MS cert... guess I'll have to enjoy endless matches and practise a bit in them.

daedalius

FieryBalrog said:
My number one wish for a sequel- different planets, more outdoors environments, or if indoors, way more varied architecture. And vehicles for enemies- I loved how tons of the Ork and Chaos units from DoW 2 showed up, but I would have been delighted to fight Looted Tanks, Battle Wagons, Killa Kans, Chaos Dreadnoughts, etc.

Yea I think this is why we were saying make it DoW2, but in Space Marine. In DoW2 you get to travel to several very different worlds with all kinds of different architecture.

I don't think I'd mind if Relic used some of the vehicle assets in DoW2 inside of Space Marine, maybe with some higher rez textures since we can get closer anyway; but everything in DoW2 looks pretty damn good!

AEREC

Some games I dont really appreciate until a second run through...I think Space Marine is one of them.

Or it could be just because Im playing the game on hard now and went for the "completing Part 1 without dying" achievement and had a blast. On normal this game is kind of a joke until the very end.

It's a solid game no doubt, I just wish there was a little more variety in it.

AEREC

shrapnelmagnet said:
One thing to clear up, since I read an earlier post with a potentially similar comment: No unit that exists in Space Marine is a re-used asset from Dawn of War 1/2/expac. I would have to confirm 100%, but I feel confident saying that the same goes for environment art / set dressing as well :)

I think Space Marine uses a heavily modified version of the same engine used in Darksiders...

AEREC said:
I think Space Marine uses a heavily modified version of the same engine used in Darksiders...
About the Space Marine game engine...

Andy Lang: We took Vigil's Darksiders engine about a year and a half ago. We took a drop of it as our foundation. They had really great tools, a really great engine. Obviously, they were still in development at that point, it wasn't a "shipped engine" yet. We took it, we added a new lighting model in. It's all dynamic so we can do all real-time -- you saw on [a train level during the demo] with all the shadows, that was really important to us. Also, it's faster for production, you know "real-time lighting."

All the gameplay and combat stuff is all brand new. We're actually using Havoc animation, Havoc behavior. It's been heavily modified by our really senior technical animator we have here and our really senior animation programmer. The effects engine is pure Relic. That's actually the same effects engine we used in Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 2 and now we've put it into this thing. But it has been optimized for console.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/65130/warhammer-40000-space-marine-interview#

Any tips on getting performance up? I get pretty poor fps in multiplayer, and even some fps dips in campaign.

My GPU is more than capable and it's not like Space Marine is graphical beast. Dead Island looks better and runs like butter with everything tweaked to the max in the config files.

Poor optimization?

derFeef

Darkshier said:
relic am good!

AEREC said:
He works at relic, he does know ;)

weekendCONFIRMED said:
Any tips on getting performance up? I get pretty poor fps in multiplayer, and even some fps dips in campaign.

My GPU is more than capable and it's not like Space Marine is graphical beast. Dead Island looks better and runs like butter with everything tweaked to the max in the config files.

Poor optimization?
No, this game has great optimization. tell us your specs so we can help you out maybe.

Herla

Reached level 31, got the last perk I actually wanted, and now I kinda don't want to play it anymore.
I'm really close to 200 assists and with that beakie I could complete my pre-heresy Space Wolf...new maps please! :p

daedalius

Good stuff listening to Vinny talk about playing through on Giant Bomb ;)

He is right, there is a lot of fan service in the game if you are a big 40k nerd, they try not to be too in-your-face with it as well, which is nice.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
weekendCONFIRMED said:

Poor optimization?
There's some kind of weird memory leak. Restarting fixes it. Setting the task priority to high and unplugging all unnecessary USB devices may also help. I think unplugging my flight stick worked for me.

derFeef said:
No, this game has great optimization.
"Game runs fine for me" != great optimization. I know when something sketchy is causing performance issues on my pc. I know what my rig can handle and what it can't. If this was Crysis 2, I wouldn't be making this complaint. This game doesn't look good enough to run at anything other than 60 locked.

Witcher 2 runs beautifully on High for me. No reason Space Marines should have stuttering/framerate dips.

E8400 Core2Duo
Radion HD 6950 2GB

daedalius

weekendCONFIRMED said:
"Game runs fine for me" != great optimization. I know when something sketchy is causing performance issues on my pc. I know what my rig can handle and what it can't. If this was Crysis 2, I wouldn't be making this complaint. This game doesn't look good enough to run at anything other than 60 locked.

Witcher 2 runs beautifully on High for me. No reason Space Marines should have stuttering/framerate dips.

E8400 Core2Duo
Radion HD 6950 2GB

Haven't seen too many complaints about it not running well, I think yours may be the first. It does seem very well optimized given the amount of systems it can run on. Your system really shouldn't have any trouble at all.

grendelrt

weekendCONFIRMED said:

E8400 Core2Duo
Radion HD 6950 2GB
The game ran great on my laptop maxed out at 1080p(laptop which is way lower spec than your pc). Sound like you are hitting lag online or some other issue such as bad drivers, hdd caching, etc may be coming into play. I have had lag induced slowdown in multi player a lot.

Gvaz

Banned
i have a phenom II x3 720 @ 3.7 (up from 2.8), and a 1gb HD4890 and the game ran at like 30~fps at 1920x1200 so you should definitely be able to get more than that

derFeef

weekendCONFIRMED said:

E8400 Core2Duo
Radion HD 6950 2GB
Really looks like you are having some sketchy problems, because like some others said, you are the first one complaining about performance here I think.

I am yet to be able to play a single game of MP on PS3 and now it seems to be taking 5 minutes and counting to load up the SP campaign. Glad I used Gamefly for this.

daedalius said:
Good stuff listening to Vinny talk about playing through on Giant Bomb ;)

He is right, there is a lot of fan service in the game if you are a big 40k nerd, they try not to be too in-your-face with it as well, which is nice.

I just don't get Gertmann's derision.

Foxix Von

I'm pretty out of the loop on 40k lore but I rented this last night and just beat it on hard. That was sort easy and really short, but fun though! Might have to try it again some other some time on the PS3 to see if the multiplayer holds up, that could be fun.

Or, you know I could just ask. How IS the multiplayer, haha?

Top Bottom