• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

daedalius

Single player? ... Deathwatch game with Titus and a new team hunting scum all over the galaxy ... HOOK IT INTO MY VEINS

Titus as deathwatch w/ a ship and different worlds to visit + moar different enemy races... NEED!

Salazar

Darklord said:
Space Wolves? I don't know much about 40k beyond what Relic has shown me but they seem pretty bad arse.

They are the best.

All these fools talking about Tyranids are just crazy. We don't need em.

El'Kharn said:
Space wolves are heretics and should be purged like the stray dogs they are :p
Legio Ultra is where its at!

Each Legion had it's purpose when the Emperor created us. We Space Wolves are his executioners. If you go by the fluff, he called upon us at least once before the Heresy to "deal with" one of the missing Legions. Anyways, but not matter what, at least my Legion has never been (and never will be) called "UltraSmurfs".

Salazar

Huh.

The Exterminatus Info thread on the official forums - not that it was ever any use at all - seems like it's been wiped/locked.

El'Kharn

DiatribeEQ said:
Each Legion had it's purpose when the Emperor created us. We Space Wolves are his executioners. If you go by the fluff, he called upon us at least once before the Heresy to "deal with" one of the missing Legions. Anyways, but not matter what, at least my Legion has never been (and never will be) called "UltraSmurfs".

1. They beat the shit out of the Thousand suns..thats it
2.The Ultramarines were the largest (and most feared) legion at the time of the heresy and as such Horus waited until they were at the furthest reaches of the universe to kick off his party because he knew he would not be victorious if the ultramarines entered the fray at an early point.
3. As chaos ran rampant after the Emperor was installed in the golden throne the primarch of the ultramarines pretty much ran the show and slowly brought the empire under control and it was during that time that the codex astartes was penned.
4.I like the color blue and i also like smurfs.
5.I am surprised that as a 39 year old man i still get butt hurt whenever someone makes fun of my favourite 40k army LOL
6. Space mongrels :p

Hah this has made me want to re-read all my old rouge trader stuff, something i haven't done for a very very long time

El'Kharn

Salazar said:
Space Wolves have too much style. And Guilliman was a prissy sumbitch.

hah :p

I just started using the nade launcher with the perks that increase the number/damage of thrown grenades....its freaking funny :D

Salazar

ACESmkII said:
I know nothing of Warhammer 40,000 but the demo of this game is amazing and addictive.

Yeah. They chose the demo sections pretty well.

You need the game for the thunder hammer, though, and that thing is just bliss.

ACESmkII

Salazar said:
Yeah. They chose the demo sections pretty well.

You need the game for the thunder hammer, though, and that thing is just bliss.
I expect it is even more insane than the Axe you get towards the end of the first level in the demo.

Picking this up tomorrow for sure.

AEREC

Salazar said:
Huh.

The Exterminatus Info thread on the official forums - not that it was ever any use at all - seems like it's been wiped/locked.

Thats odd...it's still there and stickies, just no comments. Cant wait for ti though...hopefully nothing has changed, for the worse at least.

grendelrt

El'Kharn said:
1. They beat the shit out of the Thousand suns..thats it
2.The Ultramarines were the largest (and most feared) legion at the time of the heresy and as such Horus waited until they were at the furthest reaches of the universe to kick off his party because he knew he would not be victorious if the ultramarines entered the fray at an early point.
3. As chaos ran rampant after the Emperor was installed in the golden throne the primarch of the ultramarines pretty much ran the show and slowly brought the empire under control and it was during that time that the codex astartes was penned.
4.I like the color blue and i also like smurfs.
5.I am surprised that as a 39 year old man i still get butt hurt whenever someone makes fun of my favourite 40k army LOL
6. Space mongrels :p

Hah this has made me want to re-read all my old rouge trader stuff, something i haven't done for a very very long time

The Thousand Sons
let them beat the shit out of them, if Magnus hadnt turned off all the defenses and let the legion know they were coming it would have been a totally different battle. Plus Magnus ordered his sons not to fight back....

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Does anybody have some advice on how to get the Chain of Death achievement, no matter what I try I still can't get it.

Also, does anybody else find this game really easy even on hard?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Gig said:
Does anybody have some advice on how to get the Chain of Death achievement, no matter what I try I still can't get it.

Also, does anybody else find this game really easy even on hard?
Find a spot with Gretchins, lay five mines, HOLD the detonate button to set off a chain explosion.

theDeeDubs

Gig said:
Does anybody have some advice on how to get the Chain of Death achievement, no matter what I try I still can't get it.?

Are you holding down R2 until all 5 have detonated? A few easy places to get it is in Chapter 3 when Leandros is loading the
shell
. You can place 5 before the waves start coming in and getting 10+ there is easy. I waited until Chapter 6? (the one from the demo) where you come upon a big group at the start that are having what looks like a sparring match and don't notice you. You can fire 5 off near them without alerting them, then get their attention and wait for a few more waves of orc to come and set it off then.

Guanoape

Neo Member
Just finished the single player. Great experience overall, even though the last battle was somewhat of a disappointment.
I really don't like the fact that the developers decided to go with QTE's for the fight with Nemeroth. Punching him in the mouth while falling from the spire definitely looked cool, but they could have done so much more with the actual fight. At least they laid the groundwork for an interesting sequel/expansion with Leandros being a dirty backstabber.
Now it's time to grind out level 41 in multiplayer!

Tokubetsu

Trying to grind up to kraken bolts. Oh stom bolter, how I miss thee. Still trying to warm up to the Devs too since I don't have any of their unlocks either.

coopolon

What an incredibly inconsistent game.

I really enjoyed it's high moments, which primarily consisted of fighting against wave after wave of orks. But it has some serious pacing issues. I couldn't believe the level where you are facing turrets actually made it into the game - it was so boring and completely against everything else the game was supposed to be about. It also bothered me that despite all the stuff Relic went on and on about how a Space Marine would never seek cover and the lack of cover is what makes this game unique, there sure is a lot of cover built into the later levels and I found myself standing behind it in basically every fight towards the end of the game. The other major pacing issue I had was all the empty hall ways you had to trudge through to get from battle to battle walking at the snail pace of a space marine.

Production values were through the roof though. Game is gorgeous in high resolutions on the PC even if the environment is painfully boring. Mostly played great with kb/m except for melee which I felt lacked the precision Batman AA showed is possible with the mouse, but you also don't need that precision for 99% of the battles in this game. Voice acting was fantastic, easily ranking in the top tier of voice acting in the medium. Even the last new person you meet in the last 30 seconds of the game had fantastic voice acting. Story was....well,
has there ever been a Warhammer 40k game where you someone doens't betray everyone in the name of chaos?
I liked the last cut scene though.

The final battle though...wow, really bad.
A terrible quick time event that was boring, repetitive, and lasted WAY too long.

Overall a pretty mediocre game but I hope it sells well enough to get a sequel, with the production values it has I hope Relic can really hit the ball out of the park with the next one. At the same time though, I couldn't recommend this game for more than $10 to anyone for single player anyway.

This is the second time I've tried to get one of the "complete a chapter using only X and X" achievements, did it and didn't get it. Does using grenades ruin it or something?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ToyMachine228 said:
This is the second time I've tried to get one of the "complete a chapter using only X and X" achievements, did it and didn't get it. Does using grenades ruin it or something?
Yes.

daedalius

coopolon said:
The final battle though...wow, really bad.
A terrible quick time event that was boring, repetitive, and lasted WAY too long.

While I didn't think the last boss fight was amazing, I much preferred it to circle strafing him with a melta-gun ;)

I do feel that 'hard' is not nearly hard enough, especially going through insane by myself in GoW2 right now; I died more times in the first 2 chapters than I did in the entirety of Space Marine on hard. Not really a big deal, but I wouldn't mind a 'primarch' difficulty :)

Ending cinematic was just right for 40k. I am really looking forward to expansions/sequels/dlc at this point.

Darklord said:
Space Wolves? I don't know much about 40k beyond what Relic has shown me but they seem pretty bad arse.

I like you.

The Gray Nights are also pretty badass, and would fit in this particular story, since their whole purpose is to hunt down Chaos and exterminate it.

hteng

Banned
Space Wolves are like space vikings, they do whatever shit they want, when they want and how they want.

Ultramarines are pretty much the blue print for all other space marine chapters.

Would love to see a Gray Knights game, they have tons of cool weapons to mess around with.

hteng said:
Space Wolves are like space vikings, they do whatever shit they want, when they want and how they want.

Ultramarines are pretty much the blue print for all other space marine chapters.

Would love to see a Gray Knights game, they have tons of cool weapons to mess around with.

They don't need to improve the game engine.

They could iterate with stronger stories.

Customized gear...and I would simply give them my bank account number.

Finished the singleplayer today. Gotta say I would have never tried the demo if it wasn't for reading all the hype here and boy am I glad I did. This has been one of my favorite's so far this year. Between the great combat and the amazing feeling of being a bad ass while playing this I couldn't get enough. Loved how smoothly it ran even when hordes of enemies were flailing about on the screen.

Now I need to figure out if I want to wait to see if the Dawn of War series goes on sale this year on steam. I want more of this stuff you call Warhammer...this game wasn't enough.

Snkfanatic said:
Finished the singleplayer today. Gotta say I would have never tried the demo if it wasn't for reading all the hype here and boy am I glad I did. This has been one of my favorite's so far this year. Between the great combat and the amazing feeling of being a bad ass while playing this I couldn't get enough. Loved how smoothly it ran even when hordes of enemies were flailing about on the screen.

Now I need to figure out if I want to wait to see if the Dawn of War series goes on sale this year on steam. I want more of this stuff you call Warhammer...this game wasn't enough.

Dawn of War II is fucking awesome.

100% in an entirely different direction than Space Marine but still really exceptional. If you're interested...don't wait for a sale. Relic deserves your money and you deserve to play DoW II.

bigdaddygamebot said:

100% in an entirely different direction than Space Marine but still really exceptional. If you're interested...don't wait for a sale. Relic deserves your money and you deserve to play DoW II.
Agreed on this. Dawn of War 2 has a unit called the Force Commander, which is a solitary marine that just charges into the middle of things and wails on the enemy, ala Space Marine. Throw in xp, loot and co-op to round it all out. You'll dig it.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Snkfanatic said:

I'm in the exact same boat and I can tell you that you will love the shit out of it. I knew absolutely nothing about the Warhammer 40k universe before I played the Space Marine Demo. Loved that, so I bought Space Marine and then after I beat the campaign I immiediatly snatched DoW II off Steam and it's incredible. Awesome units, awesome fights, awesome gear, awesome loot drops, it's just fun as hell. I couldn't stop playing all weekend. Get it. You will not regret it! Both of these games deserve to be bought.

Kalnos

Banned
You might even like DoW1, I think it might be a better game than DoW2. Tons of variety and it may seem more familiar to you like traditional RTS.

Maybe I'm just not a true fan of the RTS genre, but I'd rather spend my energies on tactics in battle and adapting to the enemy. Old school RTS depends way too much on timing, actions-per-second and macro for my tastes.

Must be why I dig Dawn of War so much. Its like a tactical, squad based Diablo for me.

Dawn of War 2 is a fun game. My only caveat is that apart from Last Stand, it's pretty annoying to get a multiplayer match going. Despite a couple thousand people online, matchmaking is broken and using the custom games lobby blows.

And since the AI sucks, that leaves me with playing a lot of Last Stand and not much else.

bigdaddygamebot said:

Not just Dawn of War II.

The original Dawn of War is a spectacular take on the more traditional RTS model. Absolutely thrilling battles, and NO TURTLING! That carried over to DOW2 obviously, but if you're in the mood for epic sized battles as well as squad-tactics, check out both the original DoW (plus expansions) and DoW2 (plus expansions).

Salazar

coopolon said:
I couldn't believe the level where you are facing turrets actually made it into the game - it was so boring and completely against everything else the game was supposed to be about.

Yeah, that shit was ridiculous. Apart from anything, it entirely forsakes the frisson you get from fighting something with the appearance of emotions/motivations/sensations.

Exterminatus thread on official forum has officially been, well, exterminated.

Perhaps too many people were asking them, quite rightly, to tell us things.

Salazar said:
Exterminatus thread on official forum has officially been, well, exterminated.

Perhaps too many people were asking them, quite rightly, to tell us things.
I love THQ. I'm playing Red Faction Guerilla right now and the game is amazing. Any other publisher and this would've been a monster hit.

I'm sure Relic is happy that THQ is so generous with their independence. But they have to be nervous about the business side of things. Isn't it amazing that a 40K MMO is a year and a half from supposed release, and there is less than zero buzz about it?

FieryBalrog said:
I love THQ. I'm playing Red Faction Guerilla right now and the game is amazing. Any other publisher and this would've been a monster hit.

I'm sure Relic is happy that THQ is so generous with their independence. But they have to be nervous about the business side of things. Isn't it amazing that a 40K MMO is a year and a half from supposed release, and there is less than zero buzz about it?

Whoa.. did not know that. Will probably be the first MMO I get into and thus dedicate my life to the emperor.

Bad7667

Just finished the game and it was a great action game, with amazing combat. Everything about the combat just felt great. I loved almost every minute of the game but
fuck that damn turret part. What the hell was Relic thinking?

The feeling of shooting Orks in the game is amazing. When they fall over with that last shot and the blood is spraying everywhere; so good. Melee is great too, has a very heavy feel to it.

Can someone recommend me some good Warhammer 40k books? I would like to know more about the Emperor and why people worship him but it doesn't have to be.

Narag

Bad7667 said:
Can someone recommend me some good Warhammer 40k books? I would like to know more about the Emperor and why people worship him but it doesn't have to be.

First three Horus Heresy books are a good start. Also, Dan Abnett's work.

just started this, straight up on hard difficulty (Did i make a mistake?)

can't remember the last time i played something with this intense and satisfying combat.

the silly part was that i had to insert FIVE different PSN vouchers to get the stuff from pre-ordering... couldn't these been available under a single code...

AEREC

Noisepurge said:
just started this, straight up on hard difficulty (Did i make a mistake?)

can't remember the last time i played something with this intense and satisfying combat.

the silly part was that i had to insert FIVE different PSN vouchers to get the stuff from pre-ordering... couldn't these been available under a single code...

nah stick with Hard...I played on normal the first time and the combat was way too easy for the first half of the game..second half is a good challenge though.

I just started a hard play through recently and it is much more satisfying.

ukas

AEREC said:
nah stick with Hard...I played on normal the first time and the combat was way too easy for the first half of the game..second half is a good challenge though.

I just started a hard play through recently and it is much more satisfying.
Chapter 17 on hard almost made me destroy my controller.

Top Bottom