• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

daedalius

ukas said:
Chapter 17 on hard almost made me destroy my controller.

Wow really? I really didn't feel like any section of the game was TOO difficult, even on hard. Must have been that melta-gun.

Would like another, harder, difficulty ;) (PRIMARCH!)

Narag

daedalius said:
Wow really? I really didn't feel like any section of the game was TOO difficult, even on hard. Must have been that melta-gun.

Would like another, harder, difficulty ;) (PRIMARCH!)

Oh I agree. A harder difficulty would've been great.

Jinaar

Haven't posted here in awhile, could be because I am stuck playing Space Marine MP. 11K from level 41.

The Single Player was great. The Multiplayer is .... troublesome. The P2P host matchmaking is broken. It seems it is made to pick the furtherest place on the Planet to have as being the Host. Why yes, 15 out of 16 people with solid Green bars, lets lick(pick) the 16th person from New Zealand with the red bar to host. His Air Card connection will suffice. FUUUUUUUUUUU!

The one hit weapon kills can be a tad too much. Even when I use the Plasma Cannon, I realize, I have no skill. Charge Power BOMBBBBB, point in some random direction, release, get kill(s). Thunderhammer can eat a dick.

Some Challenges are impossible. The Melta Gun multi-kill challenges will never be done. How often I have tried to get behind a group of opponents and pray they all get into the Melta Gun spread area so I can shoot 2+ of them at the same time and hope beyond hope I can kill them both with one shot before they turn around and connect all their weapons to my internal organs.
130 Grudge Kills..... maybe if I played this game for 3+ months (I think I am close to 30 Grudge Kills so far or more, but 130... eeps)

I find the Plasma Gun a joke weapon. I'll just blame myself for not using it right though.

Have I mentioned the pee inducing lag? I have pee everywhere.

Dammit Relic/THQ... DAMMIT! Dedicated Servers. You had 2 weeks before Gears of War 3 came out. Your window is now lost. In two more weeks, Dark Souls and RAGE and then BF3 and Uncharted 3, Batman, AC, CoD MW3..... I hope there will be some sort of community still online, but with Player hosted serving, all the games I can foresee getting will be in Malaysia, so what is the point.... WARRRGHH!!!!!!

*goes back to playing Seize Mode*

daedalius

There are some matchmaking fixes coming in a patch this week, and hopefully some region filtering. I wouldn't count on dedicated servers anytime soon. They will have to retain a pretty large following online to want to float deds I'd imagine. Maybe for Space Marine 2.

Playing some GoW3 now, but will be back for Exterminatus... probably quite a bit, heh.

Tokubetsu

I want everyone to understand when I say this...if you use the plasma cannon, I hope someone drives something hot and sharp up your nether regions as someone mutilates your genitalia.

Well, my copy belatedly shipped today! No harm done, I'm just pottering around playing the same old stuff, so it'll be good to have the retail copy mix it up when it arrives.

Tokubetsu said:
I want everyone to understand when I say this...if you use the plasma cannon, I hope someone drives something hot and sharp up your nether regions as someone mutilates your genitalia.

Yeah, Plasma Cannon can suck it (along with Lascannon) especially those that sit way back at their spawn point and shoot into the other side spawn area. Still, I am addicted to the on-line in this game, I played 12 hours straight the other day. This is the most I have played competitive multi-player games since the first COD:MW and Halo 3.

I am on 360, and most of the time connections are fine but lately there are a lot of lag or worst yet a game where one team is greatly outnumber the other team.

daedalius

Tokubetsu said:

Aw, throwing giant blobs of hot plasma into the middle of Waste Management is just SO FUN though!

Tokubetsu said:

Don't stare at the plasma ball and wonder how long it'll be before it hits you. Just GTFO. Simple.

grendelrt

narcosis219 said:
Don't stare at the plasma ball and wonder how long it'll be before it hits you. Just GTFO. Simple.

Yeah I have killed plasma devastators tons of times. The ball is super slow at long range and at medium range kraken bolts + bolter destroys them or I melta them in the face lol

Chris R

Just redboxed this, and I'm kinda enjoying it. Never really liked the TPS/FPS games like Halo/ect but this has more God Of War elements to it with the melee combat, and the ultramarine is such a bad ass it is making it fun.

One question I did have is what is up with the bullets in the dudes skull? Is that something that gets explained in the story or is that something you should know from the 40k lore?

Only have a single gripe, my partners aren't covered in blood despite being in the thick of it with me :(

mujun

rhfb said:
Just redboxed this, and I'm kinda enjoying it. Never really liked the TPS/FPS games like Halo/ect but this has more God Of War elements to it with the melee combat, and the ultramarine is such a bad ass it is making it fun.

One question I did have is what is up with the bullets in the dudes skull? Is that something that gets explained in the story or is that something you should know from the 40k lore?

Only have a single gripe, my partners aren't covered in blood despite being in the thick of it with me :(

They aren't bullets afaik. They are badges, each one indicating 100 years of service.

mujun said:
They aren't bullets afaik. They are badges, each one indicating 100 years of service.

Yep, they are called service studs. Some chapters use them some don't, each stud denoted 100 years of service.

Also some will say silver for 50, gold for 100 years. I don't know.

Directly from the Insignium Astartes codex entry on Service Studs:

These are small metal rivets that are attached
directly to the Marines cranium to record years of
service. A single stud records 10, 50 or 100 years
of service depending on its design and the Chapter
traditions. The awarding of service studs is
described in the Codex but is not set out as an
official requirement or regulation of the Chapter.
In recent centuries the awarding of service studs has
been on the decline and fewer Chapters continue the
practice.

Chris R

Ah ok that is cool. I know next to nothing about 40k or Warhammer in general (outside of playing the Warhammer MMO for a few months) so discovering cool little facts like that is neat.

Tokubetsu

rhfb said:
Ah ok that is cool. I know next to nothing about 40k or Warhammer in general (outside of playing the Warhammer MMO for a few months) so discovering cool little facts like that is neat.

40k is full of cool little shit like that, often ridiculous but always awesome. Like how bolter ammo is more like mini explosives instead of traditional ammunition or how ork technology works only because they THINK it works (When they paint shit red, it goes faster because they think painting it red will make it goes faster...and it just does).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
designislaw.tumblr.com/post/10076180504/warhammer-40-000-space-marine-most-suprisingly

I thought this was an interesting take on the campaign.

Lyphen said:
designislaw.tumblr.com/post/10076180504/warhammer-40-000-space-marine-most-suprisingly

Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed that read.

Proof positive we need a Sisters of Battle game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Lyphen said:

Mira isn't a horrible character - at least she's wearing full body armor - but I had to laugh at the assertion that she's:

[a] woman who stands strong under an immense burden and isn’t treated as a sex object, or relying on men, but instead an inspiration to the fighting soldiers under her and a strong, competent leader who the main character relies upon again and again.

Titus and his (male) space marines are directly responsible for
saving her life and that of the troops under her command at least twice: 1.) destroying the gun; 2.) restarting the generators for the turrets. Not to mention that one of prime reasons that Titus submits to the Inquisition at the end is that he knows that she and the IG troops under her command will be considered tainted and killed if he resists. He even says as much "The Inquisition will destroy you, Mira."

She's a strong female character in that she's not overly sexualized (thank god - bare midriff armor needs to die in a fire) and she is respected by the troops under her command, but in the end a guy is still pulling her ass out of the fire.

luxarific said:
Mira isn't a horrible character - at least she's wearing full body armor - but I had to laugh at the assertion that she's:

[a] woman who stands strong under an immense burden and isn’t treated as a sex object, or relying on men, but instead an inspiration to the fighting soldiers under her and a strong, competent leader who the main character relies upon again and again.

Titus and his (male) space marines are directly responsible for
saving her life and that of the troops under her command at least twice: 1.) destroying the gun; 2.) restarting the generators for the turrets. Not to mention that one of prime reasons that Titus submits to the Inquisition at the end is that he knows that she and the IG troops under her command will be considered tainted and killed if he resists. He even says as much "The Inquisition will destroy you, Mira."

She's a strong female character in that she's not overly sexualized (thank god - bare midriff armor needs to die in a fire) and she is respected by the troops under her command, but in the end a guy is still pulling her ass out of the fire.

Not a "guy" sir. A space marine.

AEREC

narcosis219 said:

Haha...I caught myself doing this when I first started playing MP...it looked so cool. Now I haul ass when I see one coming.

Jinaar

Plasma Cannon. No Skill. (You have to say it like "No Homo" song from Lonely Island.... actually that doesn't flow off the tongue at all, never mind)

On Shattered Bridge during Seize Capture Mode, our team secured Point B and we were making a push onto Point C node. My Assault Marine Pal went up the far right side to cap it, making his way up the ramp. At this point I had already powered up my Plasma Cannon Death Ball and sailed it across from the far right side of Point B. As he got to the top of the ramp and he saw someone spawn onto Point C Node directly in front of him. Then a few nano-seconds later Spirit Bomb hit and evaporated the newly spawned Chaos dick.

22d1dbf63071246b_feels-good-head-0-292x300.png

Pretty much no skill. I guess that's life in WH40K Universe though. Sometimes you have no chance ^__^ *I love using the Plasma Cannon, it kills me more often then not though*

daedalius

Exterminatus needs to come out faster, seriously. After playing Horde 2.0, I want to be able to fight waves of shit in Space Marine even more.

daedalius said:
Exterminatus needs to come out faster, seriously. After playing Horde 2.0, I want to be able to fight waves of shit in Space Marine even more.

Same. Didn't like what I've seen of the current multiplayer, but Exterminatus/Horde is right up my alley.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Exterminatus is still a couple weeks away. Relic definitely botched up the launch a little - should've taken even more off of Retribution to make sure Space Marine came out of the gate strong.

Tacitus_

Lyphen said:

"God-King Emperor"

Why you little.....

Sneaky Gato said:
But no sex drive. Or at least the Ultramarines don't.

Loyalist Space Marines have no sex drive. Who knows what goes in the head of Chaos SM who have dedicated to Slaanesh.

daedalius

Lyphen said:
Exterminatus is still a couple weeks away. Relic definitely botched up the launch a little - should've taken even more off of Retribution to make sure Space Marine came out of the gate strong.

Free DLC isn't a bad thing to try and get some people back on board after their GoW3 binge, but at least you only need a few friends to fully enjoy Exterminatus ;) I'll be playing that for a long time, I imagine.

Hoping for some new MP maps as well; I can definitely say I enjoy SM competitive multiplayer more than Gears 3 so far.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Just wanted to pop back in here for a moment in between working, moving and grinding up to 38 to say that the patch applied to the PS3 for me last night and since then i have not waited longer than 30 seconds to get into a match. the worse case was last night where it dropped me into a game with only 5 other people and within the 24 seconds before the game started there were probably close to 12 people already good to go.

Makes deciding to play online at night a no brainer for me as if i have an extra 30-45 minutes i know i can get in and wreck house on at least 3 or 4 games... depending on how close the other team manages to come to tieing the game :)

Working my way through the Devestator weapons now .. only about 50 more kills and i've completed all the melee... cannot wait for fucking co-op. there are 4 of us in my little group now ... so even if they go completely batshit and REQUIRE 4 players.. we won't have a random taking up space. Glory be to the Emperor ... POINTS FOR THE POINTS GOD!

Kifimbo

Just finished the single player campaign. It was good. But it ended poorly. Another game where the final boss is nothing like the rest of the game.
QTE, really ?
­ Come on Relic !

daedalius

Kifimbo said:
Just finished the single player campaign. It was good. But it ended poorly. Another game where the final boss is nothing like the rest of the game.
QTE, really ?
­ Come on Relic !

Like I've said, would you really want to just circle strafe a
daemon prince
with the meltagun ;)?

Kifimbo

daedalius said:
Like I've said, would you really want to just circle strafe a
daemon prince
with the meltagun ;)?

At least I would have a choice how to kill him, with which weapon, etc.. I could have toyed with him.

daedalius

Eppy Thatcher said:
Just wanted to pop back in here for a moment in between working, moving and grinding up to 38 to say that the patch applied to the PS3 for me last night and since then i have not waited longer than 30 seconds to get into a match. the worse case was last night where it dropped me into a game with only 5 other people and within the 24 seconds before the game started there were probably close to 12 people already good to go.

Good to hear the PS3 matchmaking is fixed, now if they can only do something to quiet the lamentations of the PC crowd.

At least I would have a choice how to kill him, with which weapon, etc.. I could have toyed with him.

True, I'm not saying I really LIKED how they did it either, but I wouldn't want to really do the same thing as you do in the warboss fight.

daedalius

Some initial reports say that the matchmaking updates have helped PC quite a bit, looking forward to hearing more impressions later.

Guanoape

Neo Member
The mute all functionality is a godsend. I was getting tired of having to TAB -> mute every single player with a mic. I hope they'll also do something (if possible) about the host selection though. Joining 3 different games in a row where everyone but the host himself has 1 red bar is pretty annoying.

shuri

Banned
Last night I was playing, and I kept running into the same guys over the course of the evening.. I guess the playerbase on the 360 has already moved on :(

I'm still getting crashes after at seemingly random times during multiplayer. It'll completely crash my computer, usually it'll give me enough time for one match before it crashes. Anyone else run into this? No help on the official forums so far.

Salazar

Sneaky Gato said:
But no sex drive. Or at least the Ultramarines don't.

If I were given a superhuman body, virtually limitless stamina, and tremendous social cachet, I would definitely be looking to get laid.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
This game is now flagged as "under review" on Amazon, and consequently isn't being sold there currently (all versions looks like).

Anyone know what's up?

EDIT - Now it's not showing that at all. WTF? Nothing to see here, move along...

EDIT #2 - Yes, it's still there, but only if you search for "space marine" and click on it. If you just go to the, say, 360 section and click on it, the "under review" doesn't show.

Finished the campaign on Normal the other day, thoroughly enjoyed it. Checkpointing could have been tweaked a little, it was incredibly annoying sometimes, but other than that - great experience. Best 40K game to date.

Started on MP, and obviously I'm on-board post-patch, so no issues with matchmaking whatsoever (had like 20 games now and waited no more than 30 seconds for any). However, I don't know whether it's the netcode, or just me being in Australia (probably), but the LAAAAAAAAAG. Fuck. I could see myself playing this for ages if it wasn't for the lag. I've had maybe one lag-'free' game. Most of the time I'm lumped into games where my full bars creeps down to one red bar before the game even starts.

Obviously the casuals have left already as it's only core level 30+ guys I'm seeing now - and on the mics its nearly all US audience, so I guess I'm doomed to put up with unbearable lag, or pack it in. Such a shame.

Top Bottom