• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Gundam 1 and 2 beats DW and SW in cases due to release on PS2 tbh. But yeh, PS3 gen is under performing for DW and SW compared to PS2 gen. Tbh a lot of sales are now spread over other musou games, so people are still buying musou games, but not just DW and SW. Other series are doing just as well. One Piece and Fist of the north star and Gundam have been top sellers among DW series.

Yeah, never gave it a thought but it's actually true!
Gundam seems to be in the ~300k figure, first Hokuto was ~500k and the second ~250k so if you add Samurai you get the old million sales.

Now let's wait for DW 8 to hit PS+ tehehe

Yawnier

Banned
Nice work in compiling all that sales data ZhugeEX, it's very interesting to read and look at.

DW8 sales kill me inside as it is the best mainline game in the series since DW4 (in my opinion at least, 7 was really good too).

DW8 sales kill me inside as it is the best mainline game in the series since DW4 (in my opinion at least, 7 was really good too).

I was burned by DW6 and have been hesitant to pick up DW games in general since then, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if other people felt the same way.

Yawnier

Banned
I was burned by DW6 and have been hesitant to pick up DW games in general since then, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if other people felt the same way.

Without a doubt that has affected sales (damn renbu system and far too many clones!).

On a slightly different note though, I find the lifetime sales gap between DW5 and future titles (DW6, 7, and 8) really perplexing though. It's like a big chunk of fans of the series lost complete interest after the series moved on from the PS2, and 5 didn't really do anything offensive or horrible to push fans away either.

Mumups

I'm ashamed to say I haven't played DW4 but the series really went downhill after DW6 for me. At least DW6 has some difficulty compared to 7 and 8...

Now the games just feel cheap on the higher difficulties rather than just challenging.

Anyway I say DW3 is the best. I really liked leveling the bodyguards into elite super warriors :p

Josephl64

Without a doubt that has affected sales (damn renbu system and far too many clones!).

On a slightly different note though, I find the lifetime sales gap between DW5 and future titles (DW6, 7, and 8) really perplexing though. It's like a big chunk of fans of the series lost complete interest after the series moved on from the PS2, and 5 didn't really do anything offensive or horrible to push fans away either.

yeah, I know that if I actually bought 6 instead of having played it at a friend's house...I would be hesitant to go back to DW ever again

6 was such a travesty for the series, though it can be used as a example to those that keep saying the series is always the same. The 1 time they change it, we mostly hate it.

sensui-tomo

only thing i liked about 6 was empires... and that lasted a little bit until 7 empires came out and made me forget everything about 6.

6 was such a travesty for the series, though it can be used as a example to those that keep saying the series is always the same. The 1 time they change it, we mostly hate it.

Well there was also the dropping playable characters and endless amounts of clones...

----------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I am curious what will KOEI do for Dynasty Warriors' 15th anniversary.

We're nearing it as it'll be in 2015, and if KOEI is keeping with the yearly DW release, we could see 8 Empires this year and DW9 in 2015.

But they changed the series into what people always said it was. Ever since DW2 the accusation was that you could beat the game with "SQUARESQUARESQUARESQUARESQUARESQUARESQUARESQUARESQUARESQUARE x1000." DW6 only brought that closer to an absolute truth.

Isn't that around the time that DW:G/WO came out? I'll also admit that dash/boost combos totally changed the flow of DW games for me, and the series started expanding so much that my wallet had to be a little more selective (and yet I still bought DW6...)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Nice work in compiling all that sales data ZhugeEX, it's very interesting to read and look at.

Thanks. I'll try and do a write up for Warriors Orochi when I get time. The series actually sells very well with the first game selling over 1.5m units worldwide across all platforms. That's just as good as Dynasty Warriors 5 sold worldwide and Samurai Warriors 1 sold.

DW8 really did badly when it really is the best and most complete game of this gen. Thankfully we still get XL overseas (and on PS4 as well!!)

I stopped after DW6. In fact I didn't even buy DW6, I only played it a couple of times at a friends house. (have it on PC now). It was only thanks to Koei facebook and koei warriors website that I started to get hyped again and got DW7.

Now the games just feel cheap on the higher difficulties rather than just challenging.

Anyway I say DW3 is the best. I really liked leveling the bodyguards into elite super warriors :p

I agree, the AI really needs to go back to the way it was. Still keep an easy mode for that hack and slash action, but don't just have more damage taken on hard, make it so you actually have to block, time attacks and enemy's are smarter.

Oh and DW2 is my favourite due to pure nostalgia, after that it's DW5 due to how much hours I put into the game.

On a side note, I am curious what will KOEI do for Dynasty Warriors' 15th anniversary.

We're nearing it as it'll be in 2015, and if KOEI is keeping with the yearly DW release, we could see 8 Empires this year and DW9 in 2015.

I agree with this. I think DW9 will have more of an open world feel, be a true next gen game, have better AI and options + build on the characters and movesets of DW8.

Not sure about 8 Empires but it would allow KOEI to cash in more on PS3 era, something they did during late PS2 era a lot.

I just hope KOEI support the overseas community and that we can support them.

It's because hack and slash expanded a lot. Warriors Orochi came out which combined both DW and SW and sold ~700k units on PS2. DW Gundam sold over 600k as well, One Piece sold over 800k, FOTNS sold over 600k. And a lot of these games came out around DW6 and after, and near DW7. So people are moving to other games in the same genre, plus the DW series has always been on a steady decline, plus next gen hasn't taken off compared to last gen. PS3 is at half the amount of units sold compared to PS2. Also as you put, DW6 wasn't exactly well received.

Yawnier

Banned
yeah, I know that if I actually bought 6 instead of having played it at a friend's house...I would be hesitant to go back to DW ever again

I rented it myself and hated it, so I never bought it lol. But I did buy 6 Empires and half enjoyed it, even though it was way too streamlined and even more simplified for my liking.

Isn't that around the time that DW:G/WO came out? I'll also admit that dash/boost combos totally changed the flow of DW games for me, and the series started expanding so much that my wallet had to be a little more selective (and yet I still bought DW6...)

Yeah, after DW5 is when we started to see more Musou games release and be developed, like Gundam and Warriors Orochi. I only buy about 1 Musou game a year now and that is enough for me after I put at least 30 or 40 hours into it.

I'm thinking the rise of handhelds and fall of home consoles in Japan maybe affected sales in the series to a certain degree? I don't know.

I stopped after DW6. In fact I didn't even buy DW6, I only played it a couple of times at a friends house. (have it on PC now). It was only thanks to Koei facebook and koei warriors website that I started to get hyped again and got DW7.

Nice. Good thing you had a friend who got suckered into buying it. In my case, I was the sucker haha. $60 of regret right there. =(

I'm thinking the rise of handhelds and fall of home consoles in Japan maybe affected sales in the series to a certain degree? I don't know.

If that's true, we'd have to confirm with SW:Chronicles and DW:Next...or maybe Strikeforce? Not the DS game though because that was all sorts of bad.

Josephl64

Nice. Good thing you had a friend who got suckered into buying it. In my case, I was the sucker haha. $60 of regret right there. =(

If that's true, we'd have to confirm with SW:Chronicles and DW:Next...or maybe Strikeforce? Not the DS game though because that was all sorts of bad.

I believe Chronicles did well, don't know about Next, but it's on par with the DS game...take that as you will

ZhugeEX

Banned

Here is my post from above about why I think sales dropped.

It's because hack and slash expanded a lot. Warriors Orochi came out which combined both DW and SW and sold ~700k units on PS2. DW Gundam sold over 600k as well, One Piece sold over 800k, FOTNS sold over 600k. And a lot of these games came out around DW6 and after, and near DW7. So people are moving to other games in the same genre, plus the DW series has always been on a steady decline, plus next gen hasn't taken off compared to last gen. PS3 is at half the amount of units sold compared to PS2, so there is a smaller audience on home console in Japan. Also as you put, DW6 wasn't exactly well received.

Handhelds have been a weird one with Musou games. Some do well.... some completely bomb. Chronicles did well. Next did.... ok.... ish.

Strikeforce did the best with 395k on PSP and 115k on PS3. Strikeforce 2 bombed though and failed to sell more than 140k.

Esura

Banned
I need help on Dynasty Warriors 8. I'm on Shu Hypothetical Route playing the Ambush at Chang'an map trying to get the star and no matter what I do or how I do it, I just cannot get to Xiahou Mao in time before Guo Jia gets there. It's.....really pissing me off big time. Seem like I was doing everything right. Got Jiang Wei, got the bridge, I stopped the previous reinforcement and I did the previous star mission from the other map that got me some Wu reinforcements and the motherfucker is still disappearing! Is this a bug or something?

Yawnier

Banned
Thanks. I'll try and do a write up for Warriors Orochi when I get time.

I look forward to it :p.

It's because hack and slash expanded a lot. Warriors Orochi came out which combined both DW and SW and sold ~700k units on PS2. DW Gundam sold over 600k as well, One Piece sold over 800k, FOTNS sold over 600k. And a lot of these games came out around DW6 and after, and near DW7. So people are moving to other games in the same genre, plus the DW series has always been on a steady decline, plus next gen hasn't taken off compared to last gen. PS3 is at half the amount of units sold compared to PS2. Also as you put, DW6 wasn't exactly well received.

This explains the drop-off in sales post DW5 really well actually.

Shengar

The same for me. I almost give up on DW because of 6, but then suddenly bought 7 (I still don't remember why I bought it, unlike WO3 that heavily influenced by Jim Sterling's review). DW7 really reinvogerate the series for me, and such I still placed it as the best DW game on subjective term.
Here is a sales round up/analysis of the Warriors series of games in Japan. Shows how well the Musou series has performed in Japan over time.

Dynasty Warriors

Samurai Warriors

Gundam Warriors

Warriors Orochi (coming soon)

*Data taken from KOEI, Famitsu, Media Create, Dengeki + estimates from myself.

Great work! I would look into it later today. Your work is greatly appreciated.

Esura

Banned
What was so bad about DW6? I'm almost tempted to play it just to see what's wrong with it. Also, how's Strikeforce?

sensui-tomo

Well, it was a whole new system. I think XL and the PS2 release they added some back. It was definitely a transition for TK/Omega though.

there was no XL for 6, only a ps2 release which de cloned some people, then empires which put meng huo back in the game(with his tree... weapon thing)

dont forget horrible costumes... and what they did to ling tong(might be a personal issue with me but i hated how non serious he went from 5to 6(which is what they've kept)

I'll admit some of the DW6's outfits were really over the top.

There were some parts of them I did like that I'm glad they kept moving forward as well.

Well, it was a whole new system. I think XL and the PS2 release they added some back. It was definitely a transition for TK/Omega though.

Nope, as stated only Meng Huo got added back in in Empires.

Daqiao and Jiang Wei did get added back in Strikeforce 2, but Xingcai and Zhurong got added back in 7 and Pang De got added back in 7XL, haha...

kiryogi

Banned
I'll admit some of the DW6's outfits were really over the top.

There were some parts of them I did like that I'm glad they kept moving forward as well.

Nope, as stated only Meng Huo got added back in in Empires.

Daqiao and Jiang Wei did get added back in Strikeforce 2, but Xingcai and Zhurong got added back in 7 and Pang De got added back in 7XL, haha...

Like I said, it was a transition time for them, 7 was back on the right track and delivered WO3 and DW8 to us.

sensui-tomo

I always forget about Zuo Ci.

Actually thought that he became one of the mystics and forever stuck in WO but I guess not.
wish we would get nu wa and fu xi back in the game, although they would serve no purpose. Maybe they could do what SW does and have a CaW story mode or make it like dw5 extreme legends did with that mercenary mode where you could defect back and forth through armies and stuff.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Please take a look at the sales for Warriors Orochi here.

Information is taken from KOEI shipment figures, Dengeki, Media Create and Famitsu.

Points to note
-Warriors Orochi shipped 1.5m units worldwide across all platforms.
-Warriors Orochi Z, a PS3 port of WO1 and 2 sold over 270k in Japan.
-Warriors Orochi 2 on PS2 sold a similar amount as Warriors Orochi 3 on PS3.
-The Warriors Orochi series has sold over 2.5m units across home and portable consoles in Japan.

Warriors Orochi sales

Others-

Dynasty Warriors

Samurai Warriors

Gundam Warriors

Yawnier

Banned
Once again, great analysis ZhugeEX. Although it's been spread across 5 platforms, seeing WO3 sell that amount is pretty nice. Looks like the WO series is roughly a 750,000 consistent seller up to this point (give or take when combining sales across platforms) which isn't that bad I don't think.

Foofaraw

Think I'm going to buy Samurai Warriors 3 to hold me over until I get either a PS3 or PS4 to play DW8.

Are there any real downsides to this game?

Fandangox

I felt the stories overall were not as good as in SW2 and the music took a hike. Other than that, the new characters are fun to use, and Takamaru's mode provides a nice alternate game if you get bored of the main mode. The online is not very good, and I haven;t played in some time, but I assume there's probably no one playing online now anyways.

Yawnier

Banned
Think I'm going to buy Samurai Warriors 3 to hold me over until I get either a PS3 or PS4 to play DW8.

Are there any real downsides to this game?

Have you played SW1 or SW2? Cause if you have played either of those (especially the latter) you should have a decent idea from what to expect of SW3.

SW3 definitely has the weakest soundtrack of the series though.

ViciousDS

Banned
After the travesty that DW6 was I am amazed and glad at how awesome DW8 turned out. DW8 is truly one of the best of the series.

But that nostalgia of playing DW2 for the first time at Toys' R US and asking for the PS2 and console for Christmas. I had every character's stats maxed out in DW2. AH the good old days of picking up DEF+ and Attack+ off of officers.

Xiahou En.....and that +8 Attack stat boost.....mmmmmmmmmmm

Masamuna

I'm definitely going to break down and import SB4 once translation guides crop up. I could easily spend another 150 hours on it.

Has there been any localization updates regarding SM4 or Shin Gundam?

I'm on the last stretch of crew logs in One Piece KM2. They really corrected themselves this time and for the most part I absolutely adore this game. I wish coins weren't as much of a grind though.

I believe that's called Basara?

d2k6wc6.gif

;]

Blink Me

Getting rid of Jiang Wei in DW6 was really weird. The rest were somewhat understandable but I'd say he's one of the most important characters.

Son Of D

I've not been following Warriors games for a while but has anything been said about WO3 Ultimate getting released outside of Japan?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sengoku Basara 4 is out in Japan. Hope to get my copy tomorrow. TBH I'm looking way more forward to Sengoku Musou 4 over this game. Never thought I'd say that.

Sengoku Basara 4 is out in Japan. Hope to get my copy tomorrow. TBH I'm looking way more forward to Sengoku Musou 4 over this game. Never thought I'd say that.

It's out of my budget right now, but I do plan to import SB4 eventually. 130-ish hours on SB: SH (aka SB3) and I still go back to it occasionally.

Top Bottom