• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was the Dreamcast actually powerful at launch? Or the beneficiary of no competition?

Was the Dreamcast a powerhouse at launch?

• No

Votes: 109 11.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 863 88.8%

• Total voters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
no one here is talking about the fact that the most popular console always benefits from more hardware optimizations. If the Saturn would have took off you would have seen major optimizations just like the ps1 had. I would say even more so since the Saturn sdk was always lacking and that was one of reasons devs had a lot of issues.

And Outrigger looks bad according to you?

Game looked great! Sadly didnt offered the chance to customize controls, as Quake 3. But i´m not expert, but OT looks better to me than Dreamcast UT.
It looks good, without a doubt like a typical Dreamcast game but it's not at the level of Timesplitters, Timesplitters needed filters but the devs didn't want to add them to avoid muddying the image and avoiding frame drops.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It is impossible to factually summarize Saturn and PS1 with "PS1 was more powerful than Saturn". This is certainly not true at all.
Eh... we're talking times where architectures were so different, you first need to define what 'more powerful' means. And most people vehemently disagree with each other on that so there's basically no consensus to compare against - to begin with.
It's a lot like GC to PS2 though - end results were easier to get on one machine, irrespective of best-case capabilities of the other.

TNT Sheep

GC was as often sub 640 as PS2 games were (512x480 was very common, but not the only res used) - especially in multiplats.
From what I could find GC and PS2 have a similar number of 480p games out of the box. Somewhere in the range of 200 games.

That would be impressive if it wasn't for the fact that the PS2 library is 5 to 6 times as big as the GC library.

cireza

you first need to define what 'more powerful' means.
I don't have to define what 'more powerful means' as I am not the one here stating such thing to begin with. Each console has strengths and weaknesses and rather than taking absurd shortcuts like this one, I am the kind of person who will factually list important aspects of each console and how they compare.

Thus I would never define PS1 nor Saturn being more powerful that the other full stop.

From what I could find GC and PS2 have a similar number of 480p games out of the box. Somewhere in the range of 200 games.

That would be impressive if it wasn't for the fact that the PS2 library is 5 to 6 times as big as the GC library.
480p is something the devs decide to add or not for the most part, the interesting thing is that you can force 480p mode in most of the catalog with third party software in PS2, the amount of 480p games really dont say anything about the capabilities of the machines involved only whats most devs included

*the "1080p" mode doesn't mean it uses internal 1080p resolution, just is a configuration of the image output of the GSM, also to note not every single game can be forced for 4080p 1080p or other modes some only support some modes

Last edited:

TNT Sheep

480p is something the devs decide to add or not for the most part, the curious thing is that you can force 480p mode in most of the catalog with third party software in PS2(dont know about GC), the amount of 480p games really dont say anything the capabilities of the machines involved only whats most devs included
You can also force 480p on gamecube games and 720p on xbox for that matter. It would be interesting to look at the list of games that can be forced or not, because 480p ain't exactly free it still requires more processing power.

Last edited:
You can also force 480p on gamecube games and xbox for that matter. It would be interesting to look at the list of games that can be forced or not, because 480p ain't exactly free it still requires more processing power.
yes, in my experience I have forced 1080p in area 51 and the result is very good in LCD TV compared to standard 4080p, also tried matrix path of neo no performance problem on either game, most graphical demanding games of the time included progressive modes(480p) anyway, I will test the champion of norrath and baldurs gate games to see what modes can be used as those games have very big internal resolution compared to the output

Esppiral

People is confusing output resolution with rendering resolution, no matter how you manage to force 480p on PS2 or GameCube the games will still be rendering internally at their original resolutions, that is sub 640x480 90% of the games, quite the opposite on Dreamcast, the games render internally at 640 x 480 no matter the output, the Xbox is another story when you force 720p it is actually rendering at 1280x720 even 1920x1080....

Last edited:

TNT Sheep

People is confusing output resolution with rendering resolution, no matter how you manage to force 480p on PS2 or GameCube the games will still be rendering internally at their original resolutions, that is sub 640x480 90% of the games, quite the opposite on Dreamcast, the games render internally at 640 x 480 no matter the output, the Xbox is another story when you force 720p it is actually rendering at 1280x720 even 1920x1080....
I don't know how it works on PS2, but on GC you can indeed force 480p render resolution with Swiss or Nintendon't if you have a Wii.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I get the point - but I'm pretty sure the actual ratio was somewhere around 4x (the number of actually unique titles - not total SKUs that some manufacturers quote - which typically inflate the number quite a bit).

I was referencing internal res - it wasn't uncommon for both consoles to render below 640, even in games with official 480p support.

You can also force 480p on gamecube games and 720p on xbox for that matter. It would be interesting to look at the list of games that can be forced or not, because 480p ain't exactly free it still requires more processing power.
XBox actually did have a handful? of native 720p games (not just output). And PS2 had ... 3? (I may be missing some) that ran at 1280x960 but obviously only output 480i/480p.
For GC/PS2 though - the memory layout meant that if a game is 480 'compatible' - it is also free to force it. The cost would be there for games that rendered 240p which were exceedingly rare - even on the PS2, and for most of those you couldn't force it up anyway (render resolution wasn't so easily overridden).

Thus I would never define PS1 nor Saturn being more powerful that the other full stop.
That's fair.

that depends the game you cannot take for granted the internal resolution of a random game

This is certainly not true at all.

However, "PS2 has a shit picture quality" is factual and has been largely observed throughout the entirety of its lifespan.
is not true, anyone who has played from Tekken Tag to Tekken 4, Unreal Tournament and BGDA knows it's not true.

The image quality and presentation of the great PS2 games owe nothing to its competitors, now if we use cheap ports, early games and low budget games maybe we can make this statement count.

I need to point out that the PS2 cannot have absolutely the same IQ as the Dreamcast because its games have post-processing but even with post-processing there are many sharp games.

the interesting thing is that you can force 480p mode in most of the catalog with third party software in PS2, the amount of 480p games really dont say anything about the capabilities of the machines involved only whats most devs included
Dreamcast fanboys pretend to ignore this, GTA 3 at 480p is the example, looks amazing.
yet another ''advantage'' (as if it were an advantage to play in 17'') that the Dreamcast loses.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anothe 60fps Gungriffon Blaze

Maybe I'm biased cos I hated what they did to the series after the two excellent Saturn games but I don't see anything that makes the 60fps impressive here. What looks so beyond the Dreamcast's reach? It doesn't have a game exactly like it but an amalgam of MBS: Federation vs. Zeon and Gundam SS 0079 Rise from the Ashes by a half competent developer (or Capcom itself as the former is 60fps too, it's mostly a 2 vs 2 game but the levels have other enemies and stuff going on to give it the war atmosphere, I can't find good footage though) seems more than plausible for the platform.

GTA 3 at 480p is the example, looks amazing.
And goes down to like 15 fps for it so maybe it shouldn't have been 480p🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

RobRSG

I played Hardcore and liked it more than Dreamcast. Where's Hard*Core?
No matter what, the Limited version on the Dreamcast just trounces any of the PS2 versions that are steamy piles of complete jagged mess.

Want to see DOA looking better than the Dreamcast? The OG Xbox will have you covered.

Last edited:

Puscifer

No matter what, the Limited version on the Dreamcast just trounces any of the PS2 versions that are steamy piles of complete jagged mess.

Want to see DOA looking better than the Dreamcast? The OG Xbox will have you covered.
I'd argue that version was worse. They didn't bring any gameplay improvements from 3 over and limited some of the infinite stages and took a lot of personality out of others

Maybe I'm biased cos I hated what they did to the series after the two excellent Saturn games but I don't see anything that makes the 60fps impressive here. What looks so beyond the Dreamcast's reach? seems more than plausible for the platform.
Maybe it's possible on the Dreamcast with 30fps, reduced draw distance and some cuts in alpha effects.Each game has a reason, the dev's choice to make Gungriffon this way was to explore long draw distances without fog at 60fps. In the later stages there is fog, but with an artistic purpose. Gungriffon Blaze is part of the initial wave of the ps2 with a Dreamcastish look.

We cannot underestimate 60fps, the Dreamcast cannot reach 60fps even in some advanced 5th generation games.

shadowman 30fps (looks amazing)
Soul Reaver 60 (with frame drop)
star wars ep 1 race 30fps
Tony Hawk pro Skater 30fps
Re-Volt 30fps with code to reduce draw distance
Rayman 2 60fps ( almost no geometry increase)
Dino Crisis (3D engine) 30fps
RE3 and AitD 60fps
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense 60fps

As we can see, some games have had an upgrade in polygon count, becoming full Dreamcast games, the character Tony Hawk has 1,500 tris and Soul Reaver Raziel 1,222 tris. Shadowman was also upgraded so 60fps was not possible.

Floigan Bros
Illbleed (with frame drop)
KAO the Kangaroo
Outtrigger
Sonic Adventure 2
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand
Super Magnetic Neo
Unreal Tournament 60fps fake
Soul Fighter
Pen Pen TriIcelon

As we can see, some games despite being complete Dreamcast have one or another intelligent trade off Sonic Adventure 2 holds 60fps better in the on-rails stages, Kao The Kangaroo has only one enemy at a time in the scene, Soul Fighter has shadows but collisions are bad, Spawn also doesn't have shadows like in Shadowman, alpha simulations are simple, Outtrigger is basically Spawn. Sonic 2 looks the best

the best and most impressive Dreamcast games are 30fps so these early ps2 games running at 60fps was a huge achievement in those days.

Maybe it's possible on the Dreamcast with 30fps, reduced draw distance and some cuts in alpha effects.Each game has a reason, the dev's choice to make Gungriffon this way was to explore long draw distances without fog at 60fps. In the later stages there is fog, but with an artistic purpose. Gungriffon Blaze is part of the initial wave of the ps2 with a Dreamcastish look.

We cannot underestimate 60fps, the Dreamcast cannot reach 60fps even in some advanced 5th generation games.

shadowman 30fps (looks amazing)
Soul Reaver 60 (with frame drop)
star wars ep 1 race 30fps
Tony Hawk pro Skater 30fps
Re-Volt 30fps with code to reduce draw distance
Rayman 2 60fps ( almost no geometry increase)
Dino Crisis (3D engine) 30fps
RE3 and AitD 60fps
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense 60fps

As we can see, some games have had an upgrade in polygon count, becoming full Dreamcast games, the character Tony Hawk has 1,500 tris and Soul Reaver Raziel 1,222 tris. Shadowman was also upgraded so 60fps was not possible.

Floigan Bros
Illbleed (with frame drop)
KAO the Kangaroo
Outtrigger
Sonic Adventure 2
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand
Super Magnetic Neo
Unreal Tournament 60fps fake
Soul Fighter
Pen Pen TriIcelon

As we can see, some games despite being complete Dreamcast have one or another intelligent trade off Sonic Adventure 2 holds 60fps better in the on-rails stages, Kao The Kangaroo has only one enemy at a time in the scene, Soul Fighter has shadows but collisions are bad, Spawn also doesn't have shadows like in Shadowman, alpha simulations are simple, Outtrigger is basically Spawn. Sonic 2 looks the best

the best and most impressive Dreamcast games are 30fps so these early ps2 games running at 60fps was a huge achievement in those days.

So you are implying? DC was touching it´s limits even with Soul Reaver, Shadowman, Dino Crisis or Tony Hawk? Those were cross gen games, with some enhacements yes, but still crossgen made to make a profit while taking some advantage of the machine but of course not at its fullest, because it implies more i+d and therefore more money invested. I´m gonna use an example of 10 years ago...Assassin´s Creed Black Flag is 900p/30 fps on Xbox One: under your logic, this game probably is reaching XOne limits and games like Assassins creed Valhalla, RDR2 and others wouldnt have been possible on that system...Weren´t they?

Going back to the enhanced 5th gen ports, Not sure 100% if PS2 Tony 3 could had run on DC, but of course if they would had put the pedal to the metal, we would al least gotten something closer to the PS2 ones, even still at 30 fps.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/desig...i-tony-hawk-s-pro-skater-i-dreamcast-version-Take a look of how Treyarch made the first Tony on DC

Other Treyarch 5th gen port was Spider-Man, which has similar enhancements on DC than THPS (do both games use the same graphic engine? Not sure). Anyone would had thought that game is already touching DC limits and Spider-Man the Movie woudnt have been possible on DC...But Treyarch´s DC exclusive Max Steel game used the very same graphic engine of that game...So..DC wouldnt run it Tobey´s Spidy game? Yes, probably wouldnt look as good as the PS2 version, but probably not that far.

https://www.thelostworlds.net/SR2/Soul_Reaver_2_for_the_Sega_Dreamcast.htmlAlso, Soul Reaver 2 was going to be released on DC. On the worst case scenario, with the same 1,2k Raziel Model from DC SR1...That one was cancelled due to commercial reasons, more than lack of capabilities of DC.

And about what you say on Time Splitters stomping Outrigger...Not too sure. I mean, despite both are FPS,they are very different: Outtrigger is focused on MP action and Timesplitters on single player (despite it has a good MP mode), but probably i would rather see a comparison with actual numbers and tech proven, because on the mere eye (i have both games) i´d say Outtrigger, Maken X or Quake 3 DC looks on par if not better than Timesplitters...But this could be due to the pristine DC output, more than the actual tech behind each game.

So you are implying? DC was touching it´s limits even with Soul Reaver, Shadowman, Dino Crisis or Tony Hawk? Those were cross gen games, with some enhacements yes, but still crossgen made to make a profit while taking some advantage of the machine but of course not at its fullest, because it implies more i+d and therefore more money invested.
there is no 'crossgen game' this is just buzzyword.
what exists is an old gen game running on the new console
or a different game using the same name.
let's use Shadowman as an example. it is not the same game as the N64, much less a PS1 game, it is a full Dreamcast game the differences present in it stress the Dreamcast's gpu and cpu in a similar way to a good first party game.
Soul Reaver (a elite game on ps1) doesn't use the full power of the Dreamcast but the full power of the Dreamcast is not enough to sustain the improvements and hold 60fps. The dev would be better off adding shadows and locking at 30fps. trying 60fps was for marketing purpose I see.
I´m gonna use an example of 10 years ago...Assassin´s Creed Black Flag is 900p/30 fps on Xbox One: under your logic, this game probably is reaching XOne limits
It's not the same thing, AC Black Flag is an old gen game with hi res textures. For AC Black Flag to be analogous to the games mentioned, the main character model would need to triple the polygon count, double the draw distance etc and other words be another game, do you realize it? However AC Black Flag reached the gpu limit (like any game does) otherwise it wouldn't be at 900p but didn't even scratch the main ram and vram as Valhalla does as next gen does. But stay calm, you don't have to agree with me, it's just a dialogue where we improve our points or confirm them in light of different opinions.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I was a Nintendo fanboy back in the day and had the Nintendo 64 for Christmas 97, when it launched in Europe.
Think about this :
N64 Japan launch date was June 1996 with almost no games aside Mario 64.

Dreamcast Japanese launched in November 1998 with Sonic and Soul Calibur, + Powerstone and Blue stinger 3 months after I think ?

Sure, the N64 had games for Christmas 1996 with Mario Kart 64.

But if you tell me I could have waited 2 years to have this power inside my N64, and have the legendary games like OoT, MM, Goldeneye, Banjo, Bomberman 64 (yes, so good), Jet Force Gemini, Dk64, Castlevania 64, Smash bros, Conker, Starfox, Ogre Battle 64, Body Harvest (without the technical constraints it could have been great), Duke Nukem Zero Hour, Extreme G, Goemon, F Zero, KI, Megaman 64, Paper Mario ?

Where do I sign ? I mean just for 2 years the gap was ridiculously high!

Imagine having OoT 3DS (basically, if not better) at launch in 1998… and maybe in 60 fps.

Or Killer Instinct with that Soulcalibur graphic quality ?
A lot of the mid games would be much better regarded today if they had Dreamcast graphics. Castlevania 64, Body Harvest, Bomberman 64 were so good to me, they just had poor presentation imo.

I’m still wanting a Jet Force Gemini Remake. Unfortunately it’s in the incompetent hands of Microsoft now.

But it would have gotten, like the Dreamcast, old really fast before the PS2 launch.

So yeah, Dreamcast was incredible in 1998, you had to be there from the eyes of a young boy.

But Sega themselves didn’t take full advantage of their console. No Shining Force 4 in beautiful 3D (for the time) is a real stinker. Same for Shinobi.

Sega is still struggling to make good 3D transition for their 2D franchise to this day, even with Sonic… it’s sad.

How the fuck did Streets of rage did not transitions into a DMC like ? Same for Shinobi ?

PSO was cool, but the classic franchise is still dead to this day, Shining is basically dead too. Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 ?

Sega has always been focused too much on arcade games, that’s their problem. They didn’t see the market was changing. At least we had good runs with Virtua Fighter.
We have to remember how shortlived the Dreamcast was. In the West it was only on the market for 18 months or so before it all went to shit. In 2001 it was over. I think Sega put out an excellent portfolio of games during that short lifespan. Yes, there was too much emphasis on short arcade experiences. I loved many of them, but the market was clearly shifting away from these type of experiences.

Esppiral

I don't know how it works on PS2, but on GC you can indeed force 480p render resolution with Swiss or Nintendon't if you have a Wii.
Same applies here, you are forcing 480p output, the internal resolution still is lower than that, just think of the Xbox One and the huge amount of games at 900p or 720p outputting at 1080p...

Time Splitters is anything but simple, the game looks like the one in the video above, Free Radical Design delivered an fps game at 60 frames. You're wrong if you think the Dreamcast could run this game without massive simplification, at 60 frames the best Sega could deliver was Ottrigger.

Anothe 60fps Gungriffon Blaze
TS had simple graphics run at a lew res and had jaggies everywhere., I thought Maken X looked so much better at the time and of course, supported 480p
GG Blaze was hardly GameArts finest moment and was another game that had issues with jaggies.

Resolution, much like reduced color depth on a lot of GC games, was a fact. Not debating what people personally noticed or not - we all know what thread we're in 🤷‍♂️
Likewise for most people not playing on (or having access to) progressive scan displays.

VGA was progressive scan ('technically' you could still use VGA monitors to display interlaced - but I can't think of many people that did).
Just like how very few people plugged consoles into PC monitors.
The facts were DC games run at a higher res, in a lot of cases and you going to tell me that in 2000 and 2001 only a limited number of people had access to a VGA monitor ?
That was the beauty of the DC display all you needed was a VGA box and away you went.

Also, to hide behind 'not many people had access' is a copout and doesn't change the fact of a system supports Progressive scan display for the Cube or Xbox.
This was the sort of nonsense we had from Nintendo fans back in the day, saying not many people had access to High Def Tv sets when defending the pathetic screen res of the Wii trying to counter the display of the 360 and PS3 (remember those days>)

PS2 display output wasn't the best, much like the N64. Like I said before back then when you bought a new gen of consoles you expected and saw increases in screen resolution, with the N64 and PS2 they went backwards in many cases. I'll give credit to SONY for supporting dobly digital mind on the PS2 that was an important 1st step and one area SEGA messed up on with the DC with no Dolby support or digital out built-in

Mooreberg

The hardware was four years newer than Saturn and PlayStation, and games really looked terrific on the VGA accessory box. It was definitely powerful, and very clearly an upgrade. It also would have required some major hardware revisions to keep competing, had SEGA being SEGA and the piracy issue not killed it anyway. VMU's had 100KB of actual storage vs. 8MB on PS2. GD-ROMs were 1.2GB of storage vs. up to 8.5GB on dual layer DVD-ROMs. Nintendo had a similar problem with memory card size and optical storage. They would have obviously needed to release a dual analog controller at some point. And this is all before considering that would have been part of the same hardware cycle as Xbox, with three years new technology, and the same benefit as PS2 in terms of larger capacity disc, and then the major advantage over everyone with 5GB of usable space for storage (3GB was for game caching - I think).

So even if they had trucked along, the timing of a Dreamcast follow up would have been very difficult if they had aimed for 2004 in the US - that fall through spring 2005 was nuts for releases on the other systems. EA might have still fucked up the entire NFL deal. To me it was a great system but wasn't destined for a long life, especially after Saturn (and I say this as an owner) was not what you'd call a success in North America.

RobRSG

I'd argue that version was worse. They didn't bring any gameplay improvements from 3 over and limited some of the infinite stages and took a lot of personality out of others
Gameplay wise:

Ultimate, Limited, Hardcore/Hard*Core > Vanilla

Image Quality wise:

Ultimate > Limited > Vanilla > Hardcore/Hard*Core

Also Ultimate is supposed to be the definitive DOA2 version, not an evolution of 3.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

However, "PS2 has a shit picture quality" is factual and has been largely observed throughout the entirety of its lifespan.
It is an interesting one, because it was a developer choice issue going by all the great looking games on PS2 like GT4. Ico, SotC, MGS2, MGS3, Pro Evolution Soccers, Jak and Daxter, God of Wars, etc, etc, and the problem was the limited amount of memory, making it difficult to maintain adequate RAM for the framebuffer and all the textures and assets without more RAM or a fast writeable storage device like the Xbox's HDD. But that does bring up another interesting question:

Using today's image reconstruction techniques, what native resolution could PS2 have used to produce a clean output resolution of 480i/p, because that is the interesting point about the versatility of the PS2 hardware compared to the rest. The PS2 could do any of the frame-gen, checkerboard, FSR or DLSS/XeSS techniques on its hardware with its to-the-metal shader capabilities, the only question would be whether it could do them at low enough native resolution to save enough RAM to execute them, and do them at useful frame-rates, by gaining throughput and processing headroom by rendering at lower native resolution..

The other issue with saying the PS2 has shit quality, completely overlooks that games that could use shaders instead of textures could look pristine on the PS2 at high native resolution in a way that the Cube did with Windwaker, but the Xbox just couldn't.

cireza

It is an interesting one, because it was a developer choice issue going by all the great looking games on PS2 like GT4. Ico, SotC, MGS2, MGS3, Pro Evolution Soccers, Jak and Daxter, God of Wars, etc, etc, and the problem was the limited amount of memory, making it difficult to maintain adequate RAM for the framebuffer and all the textures and assets without more RAM or a fast writeable storage device like the Xbox's HDD. But that does bring up another interesting question:

Using today's image reconstruction techniques, what native resolution could PS2 have used to produce a clean output resolution of 480i/p, because that is the interesting point about the versatility of the PS2 hardware compared to the rest. The PS2 could do any of the frame-gen, checkerboard, FSR or DLSS/XeSS techniques on its hardware with its to-the-metal shader capabilities, the only question would be whether it could do them at low enough native resolution to save enough RAM to execute them, and do them at useful frame-rates, by gaining throughput and processing headroom by rendering at lower native resolution..

The other issue with saying the PS2 has shit quality, completely overlooks that games that could use shaders instead of textures could look pristine on the PS2 at high native resolution in a way that the Cube did with Windwaker, but the Xbox just couldn't.
Who cares if it can do it when it was never used ? We played games, not technical specs.

PaintTinJr

Who cares if it can do it when it was never used ? We played games, not technical specs.
The whole thread topic is about the potential of the Dreamcast, and if it had similar versatility would be a solid argument for it getting much better results than we saw.

It is impressive engineering and a testament of the design of the PS2, that it could still adopt techniques of today and do even better than it did.

SomeGit

A few pages ago there was an accusation that Dreamcast fanboys elevated the DC far beyond it's capabilities, maybe even beyond the Xbox, but here we are now with the fantasy that the PS2 could do frame gen and upscaling like FSR/XeSS and the the Xbox, you know the first console with modern style GPU shaders, couldn't do shaders. I guess games that where heavily downgraded for the PS2 like Just Cause, Hitman Blood Money, Wreckless Yakuza Missions and SC Chaos Theory didn't happen and games like Doom 3, Far Cry Insticts and HL2 that outright couldn't be ported also didn't exist.

I stand by my stance a few pages ago, least delusional PS2 fanboy, sure we could even run DLSS and ChatGPT on the VUs, a shame the PS2 wasn't on the market just a bit longer 14 years weren't enough. 2 years for the Dreamcast were though, it couldn't even run PS1 games at 60 FPS. Let's ignore that most were either hard capped to 30 like the PC versions or were quick and dirty port jobs, a lot of the times either using the PC version or even worse Windows CE.

Last edited:
TS had simple graphics run at a lew res and had jaggies everywhere., I thought Maken X looked so much better at the time and of course, supported 480p
GG Blaze was hardly GameArts finest moment and was another game that had issues with jaggies.
I already understand your malice.
As progressive scan was only implemented on the ps2 when Tekken 4 was released in 2002, it follows that Dreamcast > Ps2 at least until 2002 :messenger_halo:
Fortunately, your opinion is yours alone, I personally wouldn't trade the 480i of GT3/MS2 for the 480p of the Dreamcast.

As progressive scan was only implemented on the ps2 when Tekken 4 was released in 2002, it follows that Dreamcast > Ps2 at least until 2002 :messenger_halo:
Fortunately, your opinion is yours alone, I personally wouldn't trade the 480i of GT3/MS2 for the 480p of the Dreamcast.
Malice ? LOL

Progressive scan was only in a handful of PS2 games . That's in start contrast to how the DC was happily having games in 480p spring 1999 . I got my VGA box along with the launch Of GetBass in Japan.

I liked GT 3, but MGS 2 was a letdown for me ( don't tell me, more malice)

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Some dudes don't understand, there is no Sony hate or conspiracy in this thread:

PS1/Ridge Racer: WOW !
PS2/RRV: Ok, cool.
PSP: WOW
PS3/Uncharted 2: WOW
PS Vita: WOW
PS4/Kill Zone intro: WOW

As someone said the WOW effect was first the Dreamcast and when the PS2 really has shown his SFX potential, the Xbox was already in the corner...
Some aspects were better on PS2, others on the Dreamcast but both were beaten by the XBox, so...

As for the others Playstation kudo to Sony but sorry the PS2 didn't impress me. (Square Enix did with FFX but it was more the art and the way to save ressources with corridors, some secondary rendered beautiful backgrounds and in engine pre recorded/optimized summon during battles...)

Last edited:
there is no 'crossgen game' this is just buzzyword.
what exists is an old gen game running on the new console
or a different game using the same name.
let's use Shadowman as an example. it is not the same game as the N64, much less a PS1 game, it is a full Dreamcast game the differences present in it stress the Dreamcast's gpu and cpu in a similar way to a good first party game.
Soul Reaver (a elite game on ps1) doesn't use the full power of the Dreamcast but the full power of the Dreamcast is not enough to sustain the improvements and hold 60fps. The dev would be better off adding shadows and locking at 30fps. trying 60fps was for marketing purpose I see.

It's not the same thing, AC Black Flag is an old gen game with hi res textures. For AC Black Flag to be analogous to the games mentioned, the main character model would need to triple the polygon count, double the draw distance etc and other words be another game, do you realize it? However AC Black Flag reached the gpu limit (like any game does) otherwise it wouldn't be at 900p but didn't even scratch the main ram and vram as Valhalla does as next gen does. But stay calm, you don't have to agree with me, it's just a dialogue where we improve our points or confirm them in light of different opinions.

Of course it´s just a dialogue! One i really enjoy, no worries im calmed always!

As i told before, those games weren´t 60 fps because they reached the limits of DC period. Yes, probably they did on the first place, but is not like devs went straight to the metal to achieve greater results. Dreamcast has games superior on any possible way to those elite 5th gen games that runs on 60 fps. The thing is for maybe those elite 5th gen games run on DC at 60 fps, it would had taken more development and investment, because some of them could have been built originally around 30 fps and PS1 limitations, since that was the OG target system. Have you played THPS2X on Xbox? it is actually 60 fps, but physics felt like floatier than normal....It´s because OG PS1 game was created around 30 fps. I mean, also remember than DC can brute force and improve three of the most demanding PS1 games overall (MGS, GT2 and Tekken 3) through Bleemcast...All those elite 5th gen elite ports are something similar: they were done just to make profit and take some advantage of the hardware but not built around it. You want an example of a 32 bit game ported to DC and actually rebuilt around DC capabilities: SOUL CALIBUR. And by the way, Soul Calibur was built originally on System 12, a PS1 Pro, and it´s probably the game which takes that system board beyonds it´s limits, even over TTT (there is a reason SC never reached PS1). This is a game which in its base is more advanced than any PS1 elite game, and it actually turned into a real full DC game and at 60 fps.

Isnt VGA Box progressive scan? Any way, if it wouldnt, Component cable for DC already exist -finally- (i just bought one recently and it´s a total gamechanger on CRT TVs with component input). I will post a review in a few weeks on my channel.

Last edited:

nkarafo

The DC has a lot going for it but playing it's games today made me realize how "last gen" the lighting in it's games look.

Even when you compare with early PS2 games, the lighting in the later console is superior and more "next-gen".

Silent Hill 2 is a very early PS2 game, yet there's nothing on DC that counts as the equivalent to the flashlight real time shadows and complex fog effects. I don't think this game would be possible at all on the DC. There was also a recent retrospective of the PS2 Gran Turismo games from DF and again, the one thing that looks dated in every DC racing game is the lighting. Even it's best looking racing game (Le Man's) doesn't look as realistic as GT3/4, mostly due to this. And i also remember myself replaying Shenmue a few years ago and again, the one thing that looked dated about this game was the flat lighting.

Yes the DC has the clearest display output but it also has that flat, saturated color/lighting look of older arcade games. Which looked great in some instances, heck people still craving for the Daytona USA saturated/blue skies look. But when it comes to realism, i don't think the DC would be able to keep up. Even the PS2 had a hard time later on with ports like Splinter Cell, i can't imagine the DC being able to handle that game even in it's downgraded form.

So my conclusion would be that DC looks on par or better with "cartoony" looking games. The sharp output combined with strong, saturated colors make these games shine more. But the PS2 will always win with more realistic looking games that require more advanced lighting and post processing effects.

Last edited:

TNT Sheep

Same applies here, you are forcing 480p output, the internal resolution still is lower than that, just think of the Xbox One and the huge amount of games at 900p or 720p outputting at 1080p...
If all it is, is upscaling the image, then my previous point still stands. More 480p support on GC compared to PS2 relatively speaking.
I was referencing internal res - it wasn't uncommon for both consoles to render below 640, even in games with official 480p support.
Then the question becomes how many games on the 480p supported list actually render at that resolution internally. That list is smaller to begin with on PS2 when you account for a library that's 4 times bigger.

In any case both are beaten by the dreamcast and xbox.

The DC has a lot going for it but playing it's games today made me realize how "last gen" the lighting in it's games look.

Even when you compare with early PS2 games, the lighting in the later console is superior and more "next-gen".

Silent Hill 2 is a very early PS2 game, yet there's nothing on DC that counts as the equivalent to the flashlight real time shadows and complex fog effects. I don't think this game would be possible at all on the DC. There was also a recent retrospective of the PS2 Gran Turismo games from DF and again, the one thing that looks dated in every DC racing game is the lighting. Even it's best looking racing game (Le Man's) doesn't look as realistic as GT3/4, mostly due to this. And i also remember myself replaying Shenmue a few years ago and again, the one thing that looked dated about this game was the flat lighting.

Yes the DC has the clearest display output but it also has that flat, saturated color/lighting look of older arcade games. Which looked great in some instances, heck people still craving for the Daytona USA saturated/blue skies look. But when it comes to realism, i don't think the DC would be able to keep up. Even the PS2 had a hard time later on with ports like Splinter Cell, i can't imagine the DC being able to handle that game even in it's downgraded form.

So my conclusion would be that DC looks on par or better with "cartoony" looking games. The sharp output combined with strong, saturated colors make these games shine more. But the PS2 will always win with more realistic looking games that require more advanced lighting and post processing effects.

Splinter Cell games were butchered for PS2/GC, they were build around Xbox, but I've always had a soft spot for PS2 Chaos Theory. Obviously a PS2 isn't doing all that normal/bump mapping, so they came up with geo-texturing that added geometry to textures to give it a kind of tessellated look at times (when it worked) I can't recall it being on the Cube version, certainly wasn't on the 3DS version, so may just be for PS2. The console architectures were so wildly different back then developers couldn't just port and call it a day most of the time like today, so many games have interesting unique graphical features in comparison to other versions as developers had to get creative

While I doubt the Dreamcast would have been pulling off Silent Hill 2 in all its glory, It would be interesting to think up possible creative ways developers could have used the hardware differently to emulate similar effects. Something like that is a more interesting discussion for this thread than the DC & PS2 bickering going on

PaintTinJr

A few pages ago there was an accusation that Dreamcast fanboys elevated the DC far beyond it's capabilities, maybe even beyond the Xbox, but here we are now with the fantasy that the PS2 could do frame gen and upscaling like FSR/XeSS and the the Xbox, you know the first console with modern style GPU shaders, couldn't do shaders. I guess games that where heavily downgraded for the PS2 like Just Cause, Hitman Blood Money, Wreckless Yakuza Missions and SC Chaos Theory didn't happen and games like Doom 3, Far Cry Insticts and HL2 that outright couldn't be ported also didn't exist.

I stand by my stance a few pages ago, least delusional PS2 fanboy, sure we could even run DLSS and ChatGPT on the VUs, a shame the PS2 wasn't on the market just a bit longer 14 years weren't enough. 2 years for the Dreamcast were though, it couldn't even run PS1 games at 60 FPS. Let's ignore that most were either hard capped to 30 like the PC versions or were quick and dirty port jobs, a lot of the times either using the PC version or even worse Windows CE.
It could compute those algorithms within its hardware was what I was trying to say, whether it could run them - compute in real time for games on the EE and GS- is the part we'd need to see working, but theoretically taking a 160x120 image and using FSR2.0 to get it to 320x240, or take a 15fps game or game using RGB_565 )16bit colour) at 512x480 and get it to 512x480@30fps or get it to true colour (24bit) using today's algorithms on tiny data on proportionally weak hardware isn't far fetched when the hardware like the PS2 has a to-the-metal interface like the Vulkan API.

Specifically with DLSS and XeSS, and PSSR, the inference for smaller lower res data is also smaller, so without someone attempting something like a 160x120 inference to 320x240 we can't know either way, but it would be an interesting test for any game that didn't use the EmotionEngine IMO, which should be perfect as an old inference accelerator for the test.

Splinter Cell games were butchered for PS2/GC, they were build around Xbox, but I've always had a soft spot for PS2 Chaos Theory. Obviously a PS2 isn't doing all that normal/bump mapping, so they came up with geo-texturing that added geometry to textures to give it a kind of tessellated look at times (when it worked) I can't recall it being on the Cube version, certainly wasn't on the 3DS version, so may just be for PS2. The console architectures were so wildly different back then developers couldn't just port and call it a day most of the time like today, so many games have interesting unique graphical features in comparison to other versions as developers had to get creative

yes the geotexturing was a tessellation technique using a mask to reorganize geometry, is interesting they went that route and more interesting they were able to take that route unfortunately it wasn't used in other games AFAIK , curiously I/O interactive presented its method for normal mapping and used that in hitman blood money as part of the shader model very impressive as normal mapping was more common on xbox, on DC, GC and PS2 it was more common to see other techniques like emboss bump mapping and there was a good technique using env maps with emboss to simulate the highlights it was used in factor 5 games for GC, I think hitman games are a perfect example of how graphics were advancing in PS2(as Xbox already had effects like normal mapping but it also made much more complex games than halo as time progressed), it also was used in matrix path of neo(it even has an option to control the depth) the tech demo for outcast sequel for PS2 also appear to use it and malice had some bummp mapping effects some more in the prototypes but unfortunately the game wasnt finished as intended

Last edited:

cireza

Yes the DC has the clearest display output but it also has that flat, saturated color/lighting look of older arcade games.
You can be sure that lighting would have been a topic on which developers would have improved if the console had the opportunity to live for a few more years. PS2 would have had the edge in this topic, probably, but doesn't mean that no progress would have been made on DC.

PaintTinJr

You can be sure that lighting would have been a topic on which developers would have improved if the console had the opportunity to live for a few more years. PS2 would have had the edge in this topic, probably, but doesn't mean that no progress would have been made on DC.
How exactly would they have made progress against a high level API graphics feature set (AFAIK opengl 1.4 or less). no use of an Accumulation buffer, no Shadow mapping/Cube mapping or 3D texture support, no shaders to provide per pixel shading logical for more than Gouraud shading(Per polygon)?

How exactly would they have made progress against a high level API graphics feature set (AFAIK opengl 1.4 or less). no use of an Accumulation buffer, no Shadow mapping/Cube mapping or 3D texture support, no shaders to provide per pixel shading logical for more than Gouraud shading(Per polygon)?

the better path is to employ more aggressive LOD systems and apply some effects to the very minimum and in a controlled way, some genres are more permissive than others too, not having shaders is not necessarily an impediment for complex effects more passes can be used among other things for effects............. yes I know DC is particularly limited in this too, but being creative can do wonders after all when it comes to real time graphics in games all effects are basically smoke and mirrors and there are effects in DC games that were almost unused like the bump mapps effecs put them here and there and you can get an improvement

imagine soul calibur with an effect like this in the floor and some walls

Last edited:

I find that lighting discussion fascinating! Yes, flatter lighting was one of the DC main flaws....But according to you and the rest of folks on this thread which are the games with more modern lighting DC has? I´d say Headhunter in some scenes (like the famous 1st boss encounter, which also has a superb raining effect) really stand out from the rest....Not sure if Ecco also hasnt a "not that flat" lighting. Soul Calibur also made great use of lighting, i think (may be i´m wrong) this feature is the main reason the game was praised on the graphical level back in the day, to the point even press wasnt that surprised with DOA2 and PS2 TTT graphical level. In fact, SC, is guilty we felt there wasnt no bigger improvement in 3d fighting game visuals until VF 4 and DOA 3. ..And most of that happened because of the superb lighting of that game, which still surprises until this day (with component on CRT it looks awesome).Also, as Esppiral is showing, even DOA 2, one of most DC demanding games, has room to improve. What would it take on future modding of existing games or newer indie developments to put DC lighting at PS2 or at least PSP level?

SomeGit

Bump mapping did have some limitation on DC, I think you could only do it with flat shadding on that surface but with some creativity that could go somewhere.

Even without per pixel lightning there where some good solution to explore, the SA1 palette lightning was really interesting allowing it to simulate diffuse and specular lightning, it was all striped out of the Gamecube version and replaced with regular vertex lightning which made it look so much worse and flat. The sequel on the DC also remove it probably to achieve 60FPS, although they did try to simulate some sort of self shadowing on the caracter models during gameplay, I didn't really like it but interesting attempt though. It was also stripped from the GC version for what it's worth.

SA1 to SA2 is actually a good case study, ignoring the lightning engine SA2 is a good upgrade in fidelity compared to SA1 while also doubling the framerate. With the lack of second generation Dreamcast games it really shows how much devs could progress when they had a good grip on the HW, but there weren't many cases of this, most games were just the first attempt without a follow up, I guess Crazy Taxi 2 is also a good show of this.

If there is one prototype I'd like to see is the Soul Reaver 2 prototype before it was cancelled, according to the devs it was a match for the PS2 version while also running at 60 FPS and from the few videos and screenshots the reaver forges do seem to match the geometry of the final PS2 builds with the only change being the SR1 DC Raziel model, although the devs also claimed to change it in later builds. I guess that's something we'll probably never see though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom