• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wave of criticism as Meta's Metaverse looks like shite

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Maybe? Is Second Life an even earlier metaverse? MMOs? All this is is a term facebook coined to make it sound they invented social media games

My understanding is that it's just the ONE GAME a large population of players play and they spend in inordinate amount of playing, socializing, and spending in that game.

But Second Life and Fortnite are mini Metaverses. Those games will be dwarfed in 2, 5, or 10 years by a game that attracts more players who spend more time and spend more money inside.

I guess my question is...who doesn't know that this is a certainty. Who are these multiverse nonbelievers?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
can someone explain to me what this is

is it literally supposed to be like ready player one?
Not sure But I think one part VR, one part every day life. So you can act out real life with VR.

The MS example Nadella did a year ago was strapping on VR goggles and pretending to be at the office where you (and everyone else) makes an avatar and you interact and walk around virtual board rooms together like youre being at the office.

So instead of MS Teams or Skype (which is the opposite of metaverse), you'd scrap Teams meetings with cameras showing your face and act out office life like MS Xbox avatars. I remember they showed a clip of various avatars walking to different virtual board rooms.

Sounds absolutely retarded.

G-Bus

Banned
I'm not into this at all and the way people shit on this stuff is funny and all but for real, I'd like to see this in motion.

Really don't think this thing is going to be a graphical showcase. Get all the other stuff in order than turn up the pixels or what ever.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Fortnite is the monkey on the far left. Ready Player One is the monkey on the far right.

The monkeys in the middle represent the next 10 - 50 years of GAAS mega hits that try to grab more players for more hours.

MarchofProgressPanels-1ou5fxp.png

Here's John Carmack explaining in more crude language...

Kataploom

Gold Member
It won’t matter, I mean look at Facebook, Brain washing baboon shite and billions use it.
Yet nobody uses the metaverse... Come on, what kind of future do they see on a lazy society that don't want to move the fuck on and put another device just to... do nothing different..? People are lazy, social media and phones are popular because they're easy to pick up, but metaverse? Maybe... MAYBE on corporate environments or very specific niches and even then we've lived long enough without it lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yet nobody uses the metaverse... Come on, what kind of future do they see on a lazy society that don't want to move the fuck on and put another device just to... do nothing different..? People are lazy, social media and phones are popular because they're easy to pick up, but metaverse? Maybe... MAYBE on corporate environments or very specific niches and even then we've lived long enough without it lol
Society is lazy enough a portion of population stays at home as much as possible working from home, ordering all food and stuff from Uber and Amazon, and their preference of interacting with people is texting while they lie in bed in sweat pants not showering in a week.

Metaverse VR goggling will I bet have some kind of marketing where it'll be promoted as a go-between.

If you arent going to get off your ass and go to the store, you can pretend to go to the store and waggle your hand at a virtual shelf buying stuff...... all while doing this lying down on a sofa.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It is mind boggling how and where they've somehow managed to spend $10 billion A YEAR on VR with effectively nothing to show for it. For that kind of money they should be a decade ahead of every competitor on hardware with $100+ million AAA VR games releasing every month that make UE5 look amateur. Instead they seemingly pay thousands of people millions of dollars a year to fuck around on nothing.
That was probably spent on backend system people don't and won't know about because they're built to gather, store and process people data... Also on stuff like psycology studies, etc. But not on an actual user product.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Well, some people that saw how gaming got bigger and bigger thought it would be a GREAT idea to make people "live" in a game, do their daily stuff, etc... within the game... As if they haven't play any open world, resource management or surviving game before. it already existed to some extend, if game devs didn't tried something like that it's because nobody want to do their normal lives in games but actually the oposite... they're already tedious enough sometimes without doing normal life stuff, imagine having to go work, take care of your children, go buy food because, well, people eat, etc. lmao.

On top of that, add an additional device that people must buy and put on in order to have the "full experience" lol, as if people weren't lazy enough just to go for their headphones a lot of times, and if we, dedicated players, weren't lazy enough to play games that love just because we're too tired or prefer to just browse the social media timelines on the bed.

Metaverse demands a some efforts from consumers that they definitely would prefer to avoid, they lack that "sweet spot" phones have by a significant margin.

Last edited:

Crayon

I could be huge or could be nothing. VRchat is absolutely fascinating and a mainstream version might be a consequential thing. Too bad it's Facebook.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No it won't. Commercial businesses have no reason to switch to a VR solution for their needs. The only example I've seen so far is business meetings, which they all use Zoom for. If you can tell me why they'd spend the tons of extra cost switching to a VR solution, go ahead.
Right now, its already hard enough to get people to be active during Teams meetings.

Maybe the idea of meta for office life is if employees arent going to go on cam, then if you give them the option to chat with coworkers as an Xbox looking avatar, it's better than seeing their initials or a stock photo of them from 10 years ago.

Sounds idiotic, but I can see one bullet point being that..... "Get reluctant employees more engaged with avatars in VR land".

Last edited:

anothertech

Only this part

a0etv5m3kh561.jpg

Literally its a bunch of corpos that think they know how to put together a bullshit social platform for VR and monetize the fuck out of it by selling you virtual real estate and ad revenue for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The real metaverse will be created in 20 to 50 years from now by a savant who grew up using VR and makes it an artform that everyone will eventually cling to because it feels better than real life.

The crass these meatheads create will mostly be bollox.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only this part

a0etv5m3kh561.jpg

Literally its a bunch of corpos that think they know how to put together a bullshit social platform for VR and monetize the fuck out of it by selling you virtual real estate and ad revenue for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The real metaverse will be created in 20 to 50 years from now by a savant who grew up using VR and makes it an artform that everyone will eventually cling to because it feels better than real life.

The crass these meatheads create will mostly be bollox.
Yup.

First, any corporation or person that latches onto it as a way for employees to do VR life is going to get charged in some way to use it. You got headsets and probably some subscription fee. Any corporation using it better be full committed to spending money and getting their people to use it because if they ever implement it, it would be a slap in the face embarrassment if they did a full 180 and dropped it

And secondly and most importantly, that guy looks like the principal in Breakfast Club!

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

My understanding is that it's just the ONE GAME a large population of players play and they spend in inordinate amount of playing, socializing, and spending in that game.
Its not just the ONE GAME because facebook seems more than happy to include facebook and VR users in the supposed metaverse. As i said, they're merely taking something that already exists and trying to pretend they invented it.

what? i thought this was just for VR? isn't that the whole point of it? you might not need a gaming rig but you will surely need a Quest or another headset.

is this going to be running on smartphones/tablets/laptops/pcs?
It's not a VR only thing - the idea is all devices are 'part of' the metaverse and can connect. Where I work there's a big push for this shit as we want to be there early. It's a total crock of shite.

Droxcy

John & Zuck really want work to be done in the digital office with this brick hanging from your face. The weight and screen quality is going to have to get way better for me to want to do that. Honestly yes having huge monitors and whatnot sounds like a great idea but pointless for anything other than browsing or presenting things due to the refresh rate of the headset.

I love VR for my simulators flying & driving but other than that it gets no use I tried working with it one day to do some editing and it was unbearable.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yeah, it's really disappointing, looking like a god dam PS2 game. 2013s GTA5 is more sophisticated then metacrap.

SJRB

Gold Member
It’s not about getting money from you, it’s about getting data from you, the money comes from elsewhere.

Harvesting data is a given, as is with pretty much every application ever. But make no mistake - the entire goal is making Metaverse a multi-billion dollar venture.

Goalus

So is Fortnite an early Metaverse?
I'd say it is what comes closest at the moment.
I also don't get some of the reactions here.
It could be very likely that Meta's own metaverse implementation will be sh*t. Shit in the sense that it has no appeal which results in a tiny userbase. If that happens, Meta will look around and simply buy the largest competitor that actually has a userbase (that they are able to buy). Their technology is already the best.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I thought metaverse is something like this:

Not quite, that's Augmented Reality which is a little diffrent to Virtual Reality where the "Metaverse" is based.

As far what Facebook is trying to do well... I'm still laughing about it now.

Last edited:

TheGecko

Banned
[/URL]

Harvesting data is a given, as is with pretty much every application ever. But make no mistake - the entire goal is making Metaverse a multi-billion dollar venture.

To be honest I'd forgotten about that.

It makes you think how they can sell shit and make billions, but when you really look into it, they don't have to be making good products they just need to know how the human brain works and all the right buttons to be pushing. Modern advertising I guess.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
We had some 3D meetings, not with headsets but just a 1990s looking 3D engine where you had to walk around to various meeting rooms where someone showed a Powerpoint on a screen inside the 3D world. It felt like a huge waste of time. The only fun moment was when a colleague glitched himself up unto the meeting room desk.

shh, let them think that we think it's good! tell them it looks amazing and we can't wait to join the metaverse!

i hope they keep sinking a fuck load of $ into this and it fails spectacularly. fuck facebook and fuck zuck. disgusting company and i wish people would stop using it. the world would be a better place without them.
I'll take Facebook over Twitter, Instagram and shit tok, any day. All my relatives and friends use it. The again I'm in my 40s. So probably old to some of you. I think Twitter is the worst. I don't see Facebook people influencing companies to fire people for talking, but they do it on Twitter every day. I don't see the political banning on fb like is all over reddit and other places. I met my fiance on fb dating. Does fb have issues, yeah, but it is miles ahead of Twitter trash and shit tok.

Do you say the same thing about reddit, tiktok Instagram and Twitter?

As for meta, my biggest beef is thetlir price hike on the quest 2. It's ridiculous. I don't interact much with people in vr outside of a buddy I sometimes play vr games with. If it's like ps home but better, I'll try it out. I really liked ps home, but it was lacking. It needed more arcade games and more bowling alleys.

Wonko_C

The internet looked like shit when it was new-ish. Remember Geocities?

The day we all stop looking down at our mobile phones can't come soon enough. Our neck and back will thank us.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Thank god I'm a weeb. Although they killed VRChat, too.

Also, this model doesn't help Zuckerberg's insistence that he isn't an alien.

Robb

Gold Member
Been wondering what their Metaverse-thing would look like.. it’s uglier than I could have ever imagined.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
why hasn't someone hired a hitman on zuck to game end him already? if no one's doing it i'm gonna have to start saving up

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Been wondering what their Metaverse-thing would look like.. it’s uglier than I could have ever imagined.
Makes sense.

Look how ugly FB is after 15 years. For a platform that is supposed to be social and fun, it has a very bland clinical look to it.

FB/Meta seem to put as little effort into aesthetics as possible. Might work for FB as it's more about people's pictures and happy bday messages, but with VR you'd think they'd put more effort into visuals.

DaGwaphics

Whole thing seems to ignore the fatigue (both on the eyes and the neck) of wearing a headset for the length of time needed to accomplish much of anything. Although, maybe with stellar eye tracking they might be able to reduce the strain.

Maybe I’m not thinking of old enough stuff but if you’re implying games like e.g. Chorono Trigger, Super Street Fighter II or Yoshi’s Island look bad I definitely disagree.
Im talking about the tendency to make new games look like this…..

Last edited:

Tams

Not sure But I think one part VR, one part every day life. So you can act out real life with VR.

The MS example Nadella did a year ago was strapping on VR goggles and pretending to be at the office where you (and everyone else) makes an avatar and you interact and walk around virtual board rooms together like youre being at the office.

So instead of MS Teams or Skype (which is the opposite of metaverse), you'd scrap Teams meetings with cameras showing your face and act out office life like MS Xbox avatars. I remember they showed a clip of various avatars walking to different virtual board rooms.

Sounds absolutely retarded.
I'd do whatever it would take to be Ugandan Knuckles in any of those meetings.

Pixel art games usually look great though. This reminds me of the early CGI monstrosities.
Rapsittie_Street_Kid_girl.0.jpg
this looks amazing tbh looks like worlds. psychological horror is where meta should aim for. Does anyone even give a shit about meta besides shitting on it? Does meta exist as a metaphorical place to drop a deuce?

supernova8

Banned
Meh it's better for them to focus on the underlying stuff (like getting animations of head movements, gesticulations to look right) before they get too bogged down with the graphics anyway. People just don't like Zuckerberg because he sips his water too slowly for their liking.
Sipping Mark Zuckerberg GIF
Water Bottle Facebook GIF

Top Bottom