• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WC] This weekend's Xbox outage put Microsoft's DRM back in the spotlight

Do you agree with Always Online DRM ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose92

[Membe

Across the weekend, many users were slapped with "The owner of this content needs to sign in" messages, as Xbox's servers failed to verify the authenticity of Xbox users' ownership of specific content. On Xbox consoles, you essentially have two login states for your account. One is a "Home" Xbox login, and another is your cloud login. The cloud login is intended to be used on external Xbox consoles, in situations where you might be visiting a friend, for example, so you can team up and play together. Many users also use this feature to share games with a friend, or with a second console within their household.
As someone who library shares with a family member, it's often a consequence that during periods when Xbox Live goes down, I lose access to my games. This is because to verify your license rights to your cloud login, naturally, you need to be able to connect to the cloud.
Theoretically, users who are playing on their account's "home" console shouldn't have had any issues, given that the DRM check-in for licenses on the home console is far more generous. However, many users were sharing reports that they were unable to access ownership of their games even on home consoles. Although, it seems as though at least some of these scenarios were the result of confusion over how different games interact with DRM.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I cannot relate as I was able to game and download all weekend, but I understand the system is flawed.

Hopefully this outage and backlash is a wake up call for MS to improve it, especially if they're planning to introduce a streaming puck into the equation soon.

ParaSeoul

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will defend a service outage.
Service outages happen but they dont make you unable to play offline on the other two,which is the main issue. Also heard some users couldn't use anything on their console during that time.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Service outages happen but they dont make you unable to play offline on the other two. Also heard some users couldn't use anything on their console during that time.

I'm either lucky or the outage was localized to certain data / distribution centers as I was both playing game pass stuff and also bought stuff over the weekend on the sales without any issue.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know its been awhile since Ybarra was with Xbox but him and I talked about this more than once and he said it was something Xbox would never budge off of because of the data they collect.

It was kind of odd how much they know about your gaming habits including types of controllers and even when using those dominator strike packs even if you were playing "offline"

I have always hated this

Kacho

I'm either lucky or the outage was localized to certain data / distribution centers as I was both playing game pass stuff and also bought stuff over the weekend on the sales without any issue.
I think we’re in the same area. My Xbox worked fine but I couldn’t play games on my PC through the Xbox app. Kept saying I needed to be connected to the internet even though I was.

I hope they have some sort of solution, because despite the whole “home Xbox” thing it’s still a pain in the ass. At one point (around 2016) I didn’t have access to internet, so I used my Xbone offline. For some reason this caused my Xbox to be unable to play backwards compatible 360 games. I tried to play Dark Souls 360 and it kept telling me I had to sign in.

Didn’t make any sense because it was a disc version that I had previously installed and my Xbox was the home Xbox it installed to. It’s not like it had a digital license attached to it from my old 360 itself, so there was no license conflict. I was so pissed off. I’m pretty sure it was a thing for a while that you couldn’t play backwards compatible 360 games offline, but they eventually fixed that issue.

NickFire

I don't know if people were really unable to play on their "home" consoles or not. If the issue only relates to non-"home" consoles than I understand being annoyed, but do not understand making a big deal out of it. There will always be drm to play a game on a secondary console to avoid people sharing one game with 10 people.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Me and my gf have not noticed this. She's my home console.

I noticed in modern warfare it said one time I needed to be online, but restarting the game solved it.

But that's not the same as an excuse or anything, it's shit when stuff like this happen.

But AFAIK, it's only if you don't have your console as your main console, which then is your entire fault for sharing games.

Digital will always have some sort of online DRM requirement, specially in the case of sharing your library with someone else. I don't know what people expected here.

Last edited:

Forsythia

Had no problems myself, but DRM is shit in general. But what is the solution? If there was no DRM people could just get Game Pass for 1 month and download all games. Or simply copy digital games from a friend.

Bazookaxp

My home console worked perfectly. This same issue happens on Sony and Nintendo if I don't have internet on the second consoles on every platform.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Xbox does not have Always Online DRM. I have never had an issue playing offline. I understand SOME people were affected recently and that this should be corrected however.

I think the DRM is about making the console unhackable thus it has some consequences when the network has server outage

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'd love to see the people who are defending this. I haven't seen anything so it would help give me a chuckle. MS needs to address this and it could give them even more free brownie points this gen. Its a win win for everyone.

They relax some of the bullshit DRM and they gain more support.

I think this needed to happen, Microsoft have been doing nothing but kill it this gen really, but there's still room for improvement.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Absolutely. Internet is comparable to electricity, everyone has it basically all the time. That's why 99.9% of people don't care.
Having internet does not mean you have to implement DRM, why people still keep giving stupid argument like this? Leave DRM out of this.

"That's why 99.9% of people don't care."

Oh if this shit gets worse in the future (which Im pretty sure it will), I can assure you the consumers out there will start to care, INCLUDING YOU.

Last edited:
Having internet does not mean you have to implement DRM, why people still keep giving stupid argument like this? Leave DRM out of this.

Oh if this shit gets worse in the future (which Im pretty sure it will), I can assure you the consumers out there will start to care.
If Xbox switched to actual always online DRM, then yeah a lot more people would care. But there's no reason to believe that it's gonna happen anytime soon.

I was able to play every last one of my games, so I'm not sure what problems people were having. Yes I tried numerous different games when I heard people having issues, even games I had never played before like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's pretty obvious that the majority of people weren't affected, that's why the story wasn't as big but it still gained a lot of traction because some users were affected.

I just hope it makes MS look at their current set up but it's probably too deep rooted to change it to be like the playstation now. Which is a shame.

SLB1904

Banned

Oh if this shit gets worse in the future (which Im pretty sure it will), I can assure you the consumers out there will start to care, INCLUDING YOU.
This problem is not even you have Internet or not, its on their servers

I couldn't play any of the games I bought or anything on Game Pass on Friday and Saturday, and I wasn't happy about it at all. I've been really busy with work and needed just a few hours to unwind. It kind of made me wish I owned a different brand of console.

DavidGzz

So, if you own two PS5s you can use the same profile to play them both offline? Seems this affected the secondary Xboxes, not the main Xbox. Still sucks that the network went down, but wouldn't that happen with Playstations as well?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom