• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wedbush July 2005 NPD Preview / prediction thread.

July 2005 NPD Video Game Sales Preview
We expect July U.S. retail video game console software sales data to be released after the market close on Thursday, August 11. We forecast sales of $335 million, down 4% over last year.
We believe that most investors expect low industry sales growth this year, and we think that expectations will change as the industry grows at a faster rate.
We recommend that investors accumulate Activision, Atari, Majesco, THQ, and Take-Two shares.

Activision’s sales should be $30 million, down 41% over last year.
Atari is expected to deliver $5 million in sales, down 74% over last year.
We expect Electronic Arts’ sales to be $80 million, up 3% over last year.
We expect Majesco sales to be $4 million, down 38% compared to last year.
Midway sales are expected to come in at $5 million, down 32% from last year.
We expect Take-Two to deliver $20 million in sales, down 24% over last year.
THQ’s sales should be $26 million, up 56% over last year.

We expect July sales of $335 million (down 4% vs. July 2004’s $350 million). We note that last year’s comp benefited from the strong second month sales from Spider-Man 2 of approximately $40 million, and there is no comparable release this year. In July, we expect continued strong sales of Take-Two’s Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PC, Xbox), which was pulled from the shelves on July 21, Electronic Arts’ Medal of Honor: European Assault (PS2, Xbox, GC), THQ’s Destroy All Humans! (PS2, Xbox), LucasArts’ Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (PS2, Xbox, GBA, DS) and Nintendo’s Pokemon Emerald (GBA) along with the new release of Electronic Arts’ NCAA Football 2006 (PS2, Xbox). We note that there were 12 games that sold over 100,000 units in June, and we expect 10 in July (compared to 10 last year).

In 2004, ASPs held relatively steady, ending the full year down 1% ($30.76, compared to 2003’s $31.12), while full year unit sales were up 9% (from 186 million to 203 million). For 2005, we anticipate that console and handheld ASPs
will decline by 3.4% (to $29.73), reflecting a decline in current generation console game pricing partially offset by significantly higher prices for new handheld software, and an increase in pricing for NFL games. We also expect unit sales to end the year up 13%. We forecast US console and PC software sales growth of 10% for 2005. ASPs year-todate through June are up 2% and unit sales are up 12%, tracking our estimates. For July, we expect unit sales to be flat compared to last year, and we expect ASPs to decrease slightly.

The U.S. hardware installed base currently stands at 83 million current generation consoles (including handhelds) as of the end of June 2005 (up from 75 million at year end 2004). Console prices have held steady since May 2004 (current U.S. prices are Nintendo GameCube $99, Microsoft Xbox $149, and Sony PS2 $149), with a round of cuts for the PS2 and GameCube likely some time late this year. We expect Microsoft to maintain pricing for the current generation Xbox following the launch of the next generation Xbox 360 console (expected in mid-November), in order to reduce demand for the current Xbox and spark demand for the Xbox 360. Should Microsoft choose to maintain pricing for the Xbox, we believe that Sony will cut price on the PS2 in order to capture incremental market share in front of the launch of the Xbox 360. We note that the redesigned PlayStation 2 has a manufacturing cost that is purportedly below $100, so Sony may choose to maintain pricing for current generation PS2s until supply and demand are in balance, and will have a tremendous cost advantage over competitor Microsoft in pricing going forward. We believe that Sony’s PS2 shipment forecast of 13 million units worldwide does not incorporate a price cut this year, although we expect one no later than this fall. Should Sony cut the PS2 price, we believe that it will revise its PS2 shipment forecast upward by 2 – 3 million units.

Some of the notable publisher numbers.
Activision
Releases during July: None.
We estimate that Activision generated $30 million in sales for the month (compared with $30 million last month and $51 million last July). We note that Activision has tough comparisons with last July when Spider-Man 2 sold 867,000
units in its second month of release. We believe that sales were led by Fantastic Four, which we estimate sold 200,000 units in its second month of release (on top of the 77,000 units sold last month). We expect that catalog titles Madagascar, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Call of Duty, Spider-Man 2, and Shrek 2 also sold well.

Electronic Arts
Electronic Arts
Releases during July: 7/12 Electronic Arts’ NCAA Football 2006 (PS2, Xbox).
We estimate that EA generated $80 million in sales for the month (compared with $65 million last month and $78 million last July). We expect sales to be led by NCAA Football 2006, which we estimate sold 900,000 units. We estimate that Medal of Honor: European Assault sold 150,000 units (on top of the 283,000 units sold last month). We also expect continued strong sales of PSP titles along with Need For Speed Underground, Lord of the Rings and Medal of Honor, and its catalog of sports games.

Take-Two
Releases during July: 7/11 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (PS2, GC, GBA, PC, Xbox), 7/11 Sid Meier's Pirates! (Xbox).
We estimate that Take-Two generated $20 million in sales for the month (compared with $39 million last month and $26 million last July). We believe that sales were once again led by GTA San Andreas (Xbox), with an estimated 150,000 units sold before its recall (on top of the 387,000 units sold last month). We expect continued strong sales of ESPN sports games along with catalog sales of Grand Theft Auto and Midnight Club.

So, what are your expectations for

1) HW - especially DS vs PSP ;)

2) NCAA 2006 - How big

3) GTA: SA (XBX) - Will controversy stir it up?

4) ???

sly

Banned
PS2: 215,000
PSP: 245,000
Xbox: 120,000
GBA + DS: 180,000
GC: 58,000

LOLZ AM I RITE!!!1111!!!??!?!?!111?

When is the data coming out?

HW

PS2 - 240,000
PSP - 185,000
Xbox - 180,000
GBA - 210,000
DS - 98,000
GC - 58,000

SW

DS - 310,000
PSP - 430,000

Nanostray - 13,000
Meteos - 25,000
Bomberman DS - 15,000
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 15,000

Dead to Rights - 20,000
Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition - 60,000

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just have one question about the upcoming July NPD data. What were the new releases for the DS and PSP?

Fuzzy

^Don't you realize that it's difficult to read the first sentence of the first post?

Fuzzy

KeithFranklin said:
Wasnt only the PC version of GTA:SA pulled. Since XBOX version doesnt have patches/mods?
All versions have the mod since you can you a cheat device to unlock it and so all versions were pulled.

BuzzJive

Fuzzy said:
I just have one question about the upcoming July NPD data. What were the new releases for the DS and PSP?

Coded Arms for PSP. Nanostray for DS.

But really, Meteos and Splinter Cell for the DS came out at the very end of June, and Midnight Club 3 and Dead to Rights on the PSP also. Those games will probably sell more than the July releases - unless Nanostray really cashes in on the "limited release" thing.

HW

GBA + DS = 300,000
PS2 - 210,000
GBA = 190,000
PSP - 165,000
Xbox - 150,000
DS= 110,000
GC - 98,000

Nanostray - 9,000 (limited release)
Meteos - 45,000
Bomberman DS - 12,000
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 17,000

Dead to Rights - 22,000
Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition - 90,000

*Edit, I placed GBA and DS sales seperate in case by chance, we get them like that

I would make a prediction about other consoles but hell, lets face it, we only care about PSP vs. DS

PSP - 225,000
DS - 85,000

I expect PSP sales to decline, even with the exploit. Of course, thats only because its a slow summer. Word is getting around with my buddies that the PSP is going to drop to $199 for the fall. Now, its bullshit but with rumors like that, sales may decline until the holidays.

Only 1 release for the PSP + 4 weeks vs 5 weeks last month

May 250k (4 weeks) = 62.5k/week
June 294k (5 weeks) = ~59k/week
July (4 weeks) * 59k/week = ~ 236k (assuming linear sales)

I'll peg the PSP for ~210k (52.5k/week) as we get yet another month away from launch with no big software yet and I could see it peeking below 200k, maybe as low as 175-180k, but it's been so strong so far, i don't see a need to buck the trend by that much.

PS2 = 285k
GBA = 220k
PSP = 210k
Xbox = 125k
DS = 85k
GC = 50k

The DS is a wildcard as we've had retailers stagger the Free M64 Bundle and it might have taken an extra month for people to recognize that the DS's library has dramatically improved over the past 40 days or so (as of end of July NPD) and I could see it going north of 100k by a bit at least, but it's probably not quite enough yet.

Of course, Nintendogs will be here soon enough.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Wasn't the PSP hit with UMD movies in July? If so I expect sales to go up from june.

GBA - Probably above 200,000 but what the hell? This system shouldn't be selling this well at this point.
DS - It's getting some good games recently and deserves higher sales but it isn't getting them.
PSP - Hasn't had anything really worthy since May yet still sells.
PS2 - Sales amaze me every month.
XBX - I don't see why people are still getting this so close to 360.
GC - Flirting with death, only to rise for a couple months later this year and sell to the parents who want cheaper presents for their kids

Azelover said:
Wasn't the PSP hit with UMD movies in July? If so I expect sales to go up from june.

Not a chance, IMO. As I said before, June benefits from the extra week of sales, and that would be expecting sales to go from ~59k/week in June to 75k/week or above in July.

There number of movies is increasing though. It'd be cool to see a week by week UMD movie release list. The first wave hit the week of April 19th.

Alcibiades

I think September is the first month the DS really has a chance at surpassing PSP sales (only if the UMD phenomenom drives down a bit though)...

Nintendogs is the kind of game that requires word of mouth and people showing off to actually affect hardware sales I think...

Electronic Arts
Releases during July: 7/12 Electronic Arts’ NCAA Football 2006 (PS2, Xbox).
We estimate that EA generated $80 million in sales for the month (compared with $65 million last month and $78 million last July). We expect sales to be led by NCAA Football 2006, which we estimate sold 900,000 units. We estimate that Medal of Honor: European Assault sold 150,000 units (on top of the 283,000 units sold last month). We also expect continued strong sales of PSP titles along with Need For Speed Underground, Lord of the Rings and Medal of Honor, and its catalog of sports games.

I didn't know they dropped the Cube version this year!?!

900K might be a low-ball estimate, it did close to 800K last year when NFL2K5 stole tons of the football dollars last July.

Mrbob

900,000 suckers in one month.

Not next year, EA. Not next year!

*Cue 850,000 trade in towards Madden 06*

Here are my PSP vs DS hardware predictions since this seems like the only thing peeps are talking about:

PSP - 130K
DS - 260K

Amused_To_Death said:
I didn't know they dropped the Cube version this year!?!

900K might be a low-ball estimate, it did close to 800K last year when NFL2K5 stole tons of the football dollars last July.

I think the reason why the dropped the Cube version should be obvious

July 2004
----------------
PS2 508,807
XBX 264,455
GCN 32,547

I was wondering what software talk would break out. It's pretty damn slow, so here's some of the potential top 10 titles. And Mr. Pachter thinks there should be 10 titles over 100k

Top 10 Nominees
------------------------
1) NCAA 2006 (PS2)
2) NCAA 2006 (XBX)
3) Halo: Map Pack (XBX)
4) GTA:SA (XBX)
5) Pokemon (GBA)
6) MOH: PA (PS2)
7) SW: ROTS (PS2)
8) Conker (XBX)
9) Lego: SW (PS2)
10) Charlie & The Chocolate Factory ??? (PS2 or GBA)
11) Destroy All Humans (PS2)
12) Madagascar (PS2 / GBA)

Some other notable releases: Nanostray, Killer 7, Flatout, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down (XBX), Harvest Moon (GCN)

donny2112

Alcibiades said:
I think September is the first month the DS really has a chance at surpassing PSP sales (only if the UMD phenomenom drives down a bit though)...

GTA says "no." ;-)

Alcibiades said:
Nintendogs is the kind of game that requires word of mouth and people showing off to actually affect hardware sales I think...

I think Nintendogs will do relatively well in the 4-6 days of the August NPD it will be in (I expect > 100K), but its September numbers (though larger) should be eclipsed by GTA.

Unless Nintendogs sells a ton of hardware in the 4-6 days of August's NPD that it's in, I don't expect to see it above PSP until the Christmas months (November/December), at the earliest.

Predictions

Hardware

PS2 - 240K
PSP - 200K
GBA - 190K
Xbox - 120K
DS - 100K
GCN - 50K

Top Selling Games for each Platform

PS2
1. NCAA 2006
2. Fantastic Four
3. SW Ep III
4. Lego Star Wars
5. Medal of Honor: European Assault

#1-#4 over 100K

PSP

1. Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition
2. Dead to Rights
3. Coded Arms
4. Need for Speed: Underground Rivals
5. Untold Legends

#1 over 100K

GBA

1. Pokemon: Emerald
2. Fantastic Four
3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
4. Madagascar
5. Fire Emblem

#1-#3 over 100K

Xbox (not including however the Halo 2 map pack was counted)

1. NCAA 2006
2. GTA: San Andreas
3. Conker: Live & Reloaded
4. Fantastic Four
5. SW Ep III

#1-#2 over 100K

DS (not including however the Mario bundle was counted)

1. Kirby: Canvas Curse
2. Meteos
3. Mario 64 DS
4. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
5. SW Ep III

GCN

1. Fantastic Four
2. Madagascar
3. Super Mario Sunshine
4. SSB: M
5. Pokemon Colosseum

100K sellers by console

PS2 - 4
PSP - 1
GBA - 3
Xbox - 2

MC3 for PSP sold about 44K in 4 days in June, so I think it's a good bet that it broke 100K in July. ;-)

I underestimated licensed games and PS2's general selling power last month, so I tried to correct that this month. :)

Nice job. I missed FF for some reason. Oops. Also, MC3 PSP has very little chance at breaking 100k, IMO. If it had released early in a given month, I'd say it would have, but the first week is HUGE for a game and it only drops from there.

donny2112 said:
GTA says "no." ;-)

I think Nintendogs will do relatively well in the 4-6 days of the August NPD it will be in (I expect > 100K), but its September numbers (though larger) should be eclipsed by GTA.

Unless Nintendogs sells a ton of hardware in the 4-6 days of August's NPD that it's in, I don't expect to see it above PSP until the Christmas months (November/December), at the earliest.

Predictions

Hardware

PS2 - 240K
PSP - 200K
GBA - 190K
Xbox - 120K
DS - 100K
GCN - 50K

Top Selling Games for each Platform

PS2
1. NCAA 2006
2. Fantastic Four
3. SW Ep III
4. Lego Star Wars
5. Medal of Honor: European Assault

#1-#4 over 100K

PSP

1. Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition
2. Dead to Rights
3. Coded Arms
4. Need for Speed: Underground Rivals
5. Untold Legends

#1 over 100K

GBA

1. Pokemon: Emerald
2. Fantastic Four
3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
4. Madagascar
5. Fire Emblem

#1-#3 over 100K

Xbox (not including however the Halo 2 map pack was counted)

1. NCAA 2006
2. GTA: San Andreas
3. Conker: Live & Reloaded
4. Fantastic Four
5. SW Ep III

#1-#2 over 100K

DS (not including however the Mario bundle was counted)

1. Kirby: Canvas Curse
2. Meteos
3. Mario 64 DS
4. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
5. SW Ep III

GCN

1. Fantastic Four
2. Madagascar
3. Super Mario Sunshine
4. SSB: M
5. Pokemon Colosseum

100K sellers by console

PS2 - 4
PSP - 1
GBA - 3
Xbox - 2

MC3 for PSP sold about 44K in 4 days in June, so I think it's a good bet that it broke 100K in July. ;-)

I underestimated licensed games and PS2's general selling power last month, so I tried to correct that this month. :)

I doubt MC3 PSP will break 100k for July. It probably will in August. My software predictions then:

Coded Arms - 25,000 (New)
Dead to Rights - 20,000 (~35,000)
Midnight Club 3 PSP - 30,000 (~75,000)

I'm sure NFS Rivals will be the top selling game of the month again with probably about 35,000 to 45,000 copies sold for about 350,000 total. I can see this game closing off around 500,000 to 600,000 copies sold. Not bad. I think Coded Arms will be like lots of the PSP releases and have decent legs but not get past 150,000 or so. I can see it become forgotten and ignored by the time the holiday arrives. Dead to Rights will probably finish under 100k. MC3 will probably finish around 250,000 or so. I just think that it will do pretty well, lasting throughout the holidays before totally fizzling out sometime next year.

Amir0x said:
someone is not too bright.

You should just ignore his idiocy, like me. NCAA bombed on Game Cube because the demographic just isn't there. None of my college football fan buddies own a GC but own a PS2 and Xbox. Plus a lot of EA games on GC now take up two discs so there was even less incentive for EA to bother with GC as I'm sure the GC discs cost EA more money.

I've been constantly surprised by how little the PSP has fallen hardware-wise, but if it is to fall down, it should be this month or next. September is the month where the games start flowing again, with October having even more.

I believe it's possible we could see a big drop, but I don't think it's likely. However, < 170k would not completely shock me.

AirBrian

OK, since I completely botched my Madden predictions, here are just the hardware:

PS2: 275K
PSP: 225K
GBA: 200K
XBX: 125K
NDS: 100K
GCN: 75K

Top Bottom