• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome "Gab", a Twitter-like safe space for homophobes, white nationalists & sexists

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Exactly, this is a good development. Same as 4chan.

It's a place where people can spew whatever they want, and the only way you'll hear it is if you want to hear it. Self-segregation.

They use these sites to form their cliques to then go spread their ideology all over the internet.

How else do conspiracy theories or hateful terminologies begin to appear? They talk amongst themselves with it, till it feels normal to repeat it everywhere.

Good keep them isolated to wallow in their own filth. Hopefully this reduces their fallout on mainstream sites, but i doubt it. It'll probably be as relevent as Voat is (as in not at all).

Slayven

Like other forums, they'll use the place to congregate and plan while doing the deed elsewhere.

That's the problem, if this is anything like 8ch, they'll likely use the place to plan harassment campaigns on others.

That is true, hopefully it will be like other places and just have people complaining about the cucks and racebaiters and die down to about a handful of people that post once a week or so.

sphagnum

Banned
But the question is these fuckweeds thrive on trolling people, who are they going to troll each other?

They troll people offsite then take screenshots or link to it and have a circle jerk back in their safe space.

A number of alt right forums (most notably The New Effort and MyPostingCareer) started off like this, as colonies of people banned from SomethingAwful.

MUnited83

For you.
8chan is for the things that get banned off 4chan.
Gab is for the things that get banned off Twitter.
Voat if for the things that get banned off Reddit.

I love that on every single on of those were they were banned is where people can already be very extremist without issues to begin with.

I think people really should think hard on their life when their shit is so fucked up that even fucking 4chan of all places bans you.

Considering the fact that the biggest achievement of these dipshits is instigating massive harassment campaigns on other social networks, I'm OK with this.

MrBadger

It'd be nice if they all fucked off there, but as the whole Reddit->Voat thing showed us, they get bored when there's nobody around to listen to their bullshit

Griss

They use these sites to form their cliques to then go spread their ideology all over the internet.

How else do conspiracy theories or hateful terminologies begin to appear? They talk amongst themselves with it, till it feels normal to repeat it everywhere.

Well guess what - you can't prevent them doing this. They have the right to share their ideas. Do you want them doing it within earshot or somewhere else? It's that simple for me.

Gattsu25

Banned
All in an easy server for FBI to get all the info they need to put everyone on jail

If it's anything like 8ch, the servers will be housed in a country that doesn't have an easy relationship with western governments.
i thought this existed already as 4chan and yik yak

While it does, this is a more direct Twitter like implementation of that.

Media

I'm assuming it's not, but Is "GAB" supposed to have anything to do with GAF?

I remember Milo apparently mentioned Gaf a few times during the gamergate stuff and there was a Reddit dedicated to bitter people who had been banned from here.

No. Gab means talk. Not everything is Gaf related :p

On topic, I'm usually against self segregation, but in this case, go for it.

soco

If it's anything like 8ch, the servers will be housed in a country that doesn't have an easy relationship with western governments.

While it does, this is a more direct Twitter like implementation of that.

Looks more reddit/yik yak then Twitter, tbh.

The good news is that because of the voting, we can super easily automate the downvotes.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
when it gets hacked and real names are tied to use names. that'll be a news story.

JordanN

Banned
Well guess what - you can't prevent them doing this. They have the right to share their ideas. Do you want them doing it within earshot or somewhere else? It's that simple for me.

The problem is what their ideas are to begin with. When their existence is based around frowned upon if not, hateful material, it becomes a problem.

Does it use hashtags like #Harambe or is that something twitter copyrighted?

I don't really see why anyone cares; google, twitter and facebook have basically zero competition in the Western market place and thats really not a good thing.

China has its own internet systems which duplicate all that functionality (and much more) in a single app.

TalonJH

But the question is these fuckweeds thrive on trolling people, who are they going to troll each other?
giphy.gif

nicanica

You know what's real crazy? This thing probably lists "Gabs" in chronological order and doesn't have "Sponsored" gabs

I...dunno how I feel about this.

On one hand, it's nice to keep this sort of speech and mentality away from tarnishing other platforms. But on the other, I'm not so sure it's good to sequester this sort of mentality, all in one, self-reaffirming, collective pool. The same sort of thing happened on Tumblr to an extent with the whole outrage-culture just feeding itself there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom