• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 3DS XL cases do you guys use?

Was considering the official 2DS case for my 3DS XL after reading somewhere that it fits.. but in store, my wife convinced me to come home and ask here for opinions first. Is it snug/loose/too tight etc? Pics appreciated!

Lee N

Membre
I'm using an old case I got for my original Nintendo DS some 8 years ago now. It's a perfect fit…

wLchaM2.jpg

Just got a 3DS XL this Christmas and so many good choices here I have to research. The XL doesn't have the screen scratching defect anymore correct?

DonMigs85

Just got a 3DS XL this Christmas and so many good choices here I have to research. The XL doesn't have the screen scratching defect anymore correct?

It still can get it if too much pressure is applied so you should still get a screen protector and ideally a tough EVA pouch that can hold its shape.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

To my knowledge it does, indeed. On Xmas eve I finally got a good, solid aluminum case in the post and was quite pleased with the ease of installation and it's protective ability. I don't fear carrying my 3ds in my pocket anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEI0CH4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the one I ordered, but it is mainly to protect the body from scratches and dents and the like.

To protect the screen you'll need some sort of object to keep them separate. Many folks take the feet off an old 360 or just buy rubber feet from a hardware store. My issue was that my 360 feet kept sliding and leaving sticky residue that was attracting gunky dust and such.

I happened to have some "Oatmeal" felt pads on hand already that are about 1/4 or 1/8 inch thick. They resemble this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001WAK6F6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I cut a pad into halves and attached that and, while it looks quite cheap, these screens aren't touching for shit.
The pads are pretty thick, for sure, but it still goes to sleep just fine. Hell, it's not like playing 3ds in public is a whatever-sex-you-prefer magnet anyways. I just make sure I carry it around in a mostly empty pants or jacket pocket and I feel pretty secure. When I'm carrying it in my bag I've got a travel case for it, of course.

Enjoy your XL, it's a hell of a system.

Other pics of the actual case itself:

Yessir, feelin' secure...

DoubleTap

Mario and Luigi 3DS XL, with Hori Duriflexi (Yawakata) TPU case.

i23mas92k99dpz.png

I just received this case and it's quite possibly the best one I've ever owned . I previously used a black aluminum one and then a hard plastic Monster Hunter 4 from Hori.

What I love about it is, the case has a lip surrounding the top portion and the bottom corners on the bottom part that create a "seal" to keep out the dust when you close the system. I think it may actually help with the screen scratch issue since the lips of the 2 halves are what's contacting each other. I wiped the dust "line" that forms on the top screen and hasn't returned ever since I installed the case.

Here is a pic of the case from the inside (not mine). I couldn't find a pic that shows the case closed from the side to show that there's no gap versus a naked XL. The clear one is suppose to come out in Feb in the US.

ku-xlarge.jpg

I have the City Slicker case for both 3DS XLs that I own and one for my PS VIta. The quality is amazing and they are worth the price. I hope they keep making these for future portable gaming products. As long as they do, they will have me returning as a customer. I am already planning to get another Vita case when I pick one up for my wife.

Inotti

For those of you with XLs, do you notice the area around the buttons getting worn down/"shinier" over time?

Yup, it's because of the grease from your hands. ._. My solution is to use skin sticker like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Carbo...72?pt=UK_Faceplates_Skins&hash=item19e0043de4

I only used parts of the sticker that surround bottom screen and buttons. I threw other parts of the skin away... That way I can avoid any grease marks. :x But of course if grease marks don't bother you that much it's not necessary to buy any skins. I'm just super anal about my electronics. xD

DonMigs85

Yup, it's because of the grease from your hands. ._. My solution is to use skin sticker like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Carbo...72?pt=UK_Faceplates_Skins&hash=item19e0043de4

I only used parts of the sticker that surround bottom screen and buttons. I threw other parts of the skin away... That way I can avoid any grease marks. :x But of course if grease marks don't bother you that much it's not necessary to buy any skins. I'm just super anal about my electronics. xD

In extreme cases I've seen the matte texture is completely worn down resulting in an almost totally smooth surface - some people must have acid sweat or oils

Inotti

In extreme cases I've seen the matte texture is completely worn down resulting in an almost totally smooth surface - some people must have acid sweat or oils

I'm glad I don't have that gresy hands but it would definetly leave a slight grease mark after a few years. I've just seen how my friend's XL looks like and I don't want those grease marks on my XL. Ugh. But then again I'm one of those crazy people who always washes their hands before playing with their handhelds. ._.

Matriox

Anyone know of a small case or pouch that isnt too expensive that I could use to carry BOTH my vita and 3ds xl that isnt a bookbag? I realize this is extremely specific but Id rather just have a small bag or case to lug both of them in. Any recommendations if this doesnt exist?

Horseticuffs

Anyone know of a small case or pouch that isnt too expensive that I could use to carry BOTH my vita and 3ds xl that isnt a bookbag? I realize this is extremely specific but Id rather just have a small bag or case to lug both of them in. Any recommendations if this doesnt exist?
I've been pricing messenger bags lately and you can find some nice ones for $25 or so. Might be something to consider!

Good call to whoever recommended the Hori TPU case. Currently rocking the blue one for my blue system. Still deciding on whether to get a screen protector, but in the meantime I use a cloth.

Now I just need a case, but most of the cases listed only have room for 4 games at the most. The folio is the most intriguing one; I wish they still made the one with room for 12 games instead of 8. I'm already at the 8 game mark with more to come.

Nice timely thread, I just got an XL ;) I've been looking for the Rocketfish case but maybe it is US only (I'm in Can). I couldn't find it at any stores, and its not on bestbuy.ca either (only .com).

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a case that is large enough to hold the charger as well? I'm not so concerned about ultra portability, I really only use handhelds while travelling so it can go on airline carry on, hotel rooms, etc. I saw this one:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=0b7b13e38d54ddce498cc33aee4516e3en02

And it looks like it might work, but it is a bit more garish than I'm looking for. That one in black or red, maybe...

injurai

Banned
I have the City Slicker case for both 3DS XLs that I own and one for my PS VIta. The quality is amazing and they are worth the price. I hope they keep making these for future portable gaming products. As long as they do, they will have me returning as a customer. I am already planning to get another Vita case when I pick one up for my wife.

How does it handle the vita sticks? I've seen a few cases with a cut away groove to house them in.

Yasawas

I think this is the thread that I first saw the Monster Hunter 4 pouch I got smitten with and imported, it arrived yesterday. Holy shit that thing is big! I'm sure I look like an freak on the train, all dressed up for work then digging this brown leather Indiana Jonesesque relic out from the depths of my bag to play a child's toy on the journey but I can live with that. It'll keep it safe and dry, it looks cool and it feels well made. I wish it was a bit easier to get at the carts you can put in it but I tend not to take other games out with me anyway.

Nice timely thread, I just got an XL ;) I've been looking for the Rocketfish case but maybe it is US only (I'm in Can). I couldn't find it at any stores, and its not on bestbuy.ca either (only .com).

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a case that is large enough to hold the charger as well? I'm not so concerned about ultra portability, I really only use handhelds while travelling so it can go on airline carry on, hotel rooms, etc. I saw this one:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=0b7b13e38d54ddce498cc33aee4516e3en02

And it looks like it might work, but it is a bit more garish than I'm looking for. That one in black or red, maybe...

Thank you, was looking for something like this. I just went ahead and bought the plain black version off the PDP website.

lupinko

I got the Mario hat pouch from Club Nintendo, while it's really nice, the pouch is what is advertised, it really isn't for the XL. But that's ok, I'll probably end up using it for my GBA SPs or another DS Lite or JP 3DS that I'll be buying in the future. Although with the latter, it'll like be another XL again, I don't think I could ever go back to the original 3DS.

Horseticuffs

I went ahead and ordered a messenger bag for, among other things, my 3ds XL and games library. I'm considering a Vita this year perhaps in the fall so hopefully it'll suit me well for that also.

I'm really glad I finally pulled the trigger on that aluminum case and found some new rubber feet to sperate my screens. Now I feel secure in carrying it around in my pocket so I'm more likely to whip out my XL during lunch and do some grinding in SMT4 or a few matches of Street Fighter 4.

That Monster Hunter case is just so sexy though!

I second this, but I advise that people go instead with BSE (BestSkinsEver) or Skinomi. Both will have sales in a couple days and usually the skins will be 20%-50% off of the normal price which is already lower than Invisible Shield. Add to that BSE and Skinomi quality is far better than what you get with Invisible Shield. I am a long time user of all 3 brands. The Invisible Shield has much more of a orange peel effect and will yellow after years of use, while the other two will not.

I can post pictures of my Vita, DS Lite, and PSP when I get home if anyone wants to see how they look when applied correctly.

I also vouch for the orange peel effect. I now always go with Skinomi for all my cell phones and have the Skinomi Carbon Fiber full body skin and clear screen protector for my Vita, which is dope! Let me know if anyone wants to see pics of my vita.

As for my newly purchased Zelda limited edition 3ds xl I'm thinking of ordering the waterfield leather case. Not entirely sure if I need a cover for the 3ds.

majik13

I use the red club nintendo pouch as well, but also in conjuction with the thin foam pouch that it came packaged in.

The DSi XL Power A one that was posted earlier in this thread, thanks for that by the way ;)
Took the red one, since it fits with the Zelda XL. Was kind of a bitch to find around here, and looks a bit like a lady's wallet, but I like it.
Excuse the crappy pics.

> That looks great, where do you get something like that?

If you're lucky, you'll find it for $2.99 at your local GameStop hiding in the accessories section no one goes to. I got a Zelda tan colored version, but my friend passed on the last one I found in the Northern Virginia area (the red one Clown showed)

canocha

I just received this case and it's quite possibly the best one I've ever owned . I previously used a black aluminum one and then a hard plastic Monster Hunter 4 from Hori.

What I love about it is, the case has a lip surrounding the top portion and the bottom corners on the bottom part that create a "seal" to keep out the dust when you close the system. I think it may actually help with the screen scratch issue since the lips of the 2 halves are what's contacting each other. I wiped the dust "line" that forms on the top screen and hasn't returned ever since I installed the case.

Here is a pic of the case from the inside (not mine). I couldn't find a pic that shows the case closed from the side to show that there's no gap versus a naked XL. The clear one is suppose to come out in Feb in the US.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Any place in Europe to get this?

Verendus

Banned
It still can get it if too much pressure is applied so you should still get a screen protector and ideally a tough EVA pouch that can hold its shape.
I thought the OG DS was the one with the problem. The XL has it too? What is this?!

Edit:

Saw thread above. Dammit Nintendo, why do you suck so much at design? Goddamn morons.

Top Bottom