• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 3DS XL cases do you guys use?

QMontague

jyUEDxbEs3nXO.jpg

Everything spread out.
jbdttKwZoXlShR.jpg

Everything crammed together.
The case I use.
Griffin Jumper Sleeve for 7" Tablets

LogouT

I use a hard case from DX.com. Doesn't seem to be on sale anymore, so can't link it. As expected from anything bought on Deal Extreme it's pretty crap - but I don't carry my 3DS that much around so ... it works.

DonMigs85

This is exactly what I came into this thread to hear. I want to get something to protect the 3 3DS XLs I'm getting my kids for XMas and figure a shell is going to be the better route than a pouch or case. Guess I'll roll the dice and wait out a month to get the cheaper US edition for them.

you could opt for this too, but I hear it can slightly scratch the paint finish. But at least they're well protected against drops!

N8110.jpg

Stencil

So, this thread is awesome, first and foremost, thank you.

I decided to get the clear case from dealextreme. But, it's not letting me add it to my cart. I click add to cart and get the spinning wheel of death forever. Any remedy?

edit: nvm, drunkenly went with this one instead :/ I'll post impressions here when I get it. If I remember. Ugh.

sugarless

I currently use this (the USB cable is handy, didn't use the other extras). But now I want something more slim and compact, and that would look nice with the Zelda 3DS XL. Anyone got any recommendations?

I use this bad boy...

246515_gen_a.png

http://www.game.co.uk/en/super-mari...-mario-180350?pageSize=20&searchTerm=backpack

•Mini Sling stores any Nintendo DS system, up to 18 Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo DS Game Cards, 2 Replacement Styluses and 2 Touch Styluses.
•Additional pockets help organize all your extra cords and accessories.
•Features Classic Super Mario themed interior with nostalgic storage pipes and bricks.
•Available in colorful Mario, Peach or Yoshi artwork.
•Officially licensed Nintendo product developed by POWER A. Nintendo DS system and game cards not included

I'm a 35yo man and I take this thing EVERYWHERE. Gotta get those puzzle pieces! lol.

That retro luigi hard case is amazing, but it sucks that the guy selling it is gouging. :(

Just got prime too. Boo.

By the way, I love this and the Vita case threads, these sexy glamour shots with the cases are super nice~

can you give us some shots of the inside?

Of course... but they're a bit crappy as it's awkward to hold it open and operate the camera at the same time, lol.

Inside front
59X5gWC.jpg

Inside divider (frontside)
q0BWD6J.jpg

Inside divider (backside)
3byazug.jpg

Inside back
8cSrJAz.jpg

I also keep my CD wallet for a few CD's to play in the car, and other random paraphernalia (keys, wallet, etc)

There's loads of room and the fleece pouches in the back are two sizes. Bottom for DSXL/3DSXL and top one for DS/DSi/DSLite/3DS. As I only have a 3DSXL that I take around with me I use the smaller one at the top for keys/headphones and other small bits.

The divider has a few card holders (elasticated strips) and a couple of stylus holders (I use for a pen or two). The back of the divider has another ton of elastic strip card holders.

Pretty nifty, but the strap is very short. I guess it is aimed more at kid-sized people though. I make it work though.

milkham

Fucking wow! Where can I get this? Is it available in North America??

there's a link a few posts up, and i put one in the OP also

Of course... but they're a bit crappy as it's awkward to hold it open and operate the camera at the same time, lol.

I also keep my CD wallet for a few CD's to play in the car, and other random paraphernalia (keys, wallet, etc)

There's loads of room and the fleece pouches in the back are two sizes. Bottom for DSXL/3DSXL and top one for DS/DSi/DSLite/3DS. As I only have a 3DSXL that I take around with me I use the smaller one at the top for keys/headphones and other small bits.

The divider has a few card holders (elasticated strips) and a couple of stylus holders (I use for a pen or two). The back of the divider has another ton of elastic strip card holders.

Pretty nifty, but the strap is very short. I guess it is aimed more at kid-sized people though. I make it work though.

thanks, i dig that mario interior. added to OP

RMI

Banned
I have a small felt lined wool case shaped like an envelope that i made for my XL. For my LL with the Circle Pad Pro I use that embossed Monster Hunter case, it just BARELY fits in there.

LaserHawk

They need to make cases with a little window in the corner so you could see if you had street passes without opening them up.

My two criteria for a good 3DS case is that they're sturdy enough that I could drop them without harming the 3DS, and if they're still small enough to fit into a pocket. I've been using the Rocketfish one mentioned in the OP and it has worked just fine so far. But its downside is that they could have easily managed to have more game-holding slots on the flap if they wanted to.

Skyzard

Banned
Waterfield city slicker really are fantastic cases. Got one for my Vita and a friend just got his recently too. Both had to import them but damn are they nice.

Only looks a tiny bit like a purse. Tiny bit.

DonMigs85

Waterfield city slicker really are fantastic cases. Got one for my Vita and a friend just got his recently too. Both had to import them but damn are they nice.

Only looks a tiny bit like a purse. Tiny bit.

They do look nice, but not particularly drop-resistant

Firebrand

Hmm, surprisingly difficult to find a case for the 3DS XL. Will need one once I start getting physical copies of games. Gonna have a look at what's been posted in this thread, thanks!

I have the Nintendo pouch but I hardly use it because my 3DS XL is almost always in these grips.

sku_170558_1.jpg
:O I could certainly use one of these. And only $8.20 with worldwide shipping?

noomi

I opted for the 3dsXL pull and go folio, I use the same for my vita.

A bit off topic, but I'm curious of any of you guys use the screen protector, if so, which one, and does it take away from the screen quality?

milkham

I opted for the 3dsXL pull and go folio, I use the same for my vita.

A bit off topic, but I'm curious of any of you guys use the screen protector, if so, which one, and does it take away from the screen quality?

i use the hori one, easy to install straight cuz of their extra tabs of tape, no screen degradation that i noticed. have one on my vita too.

Adamator

My 3DS XL CitySlicker arrived today. Really love it so far.

Paranoid question for those who also own it: Are you worried about it putting too much pressure on the system and causing the screens to scratch?

milkham

My 3DS XL CitySlicker arrived today. Really love it so far.

Paranoid question for those who also own it: Are you worried about it putting too much pressure on the system and causing the screens to scratch?

i put hori screen protectors on my system before i even played anything on it, didn't want to risk it after seeing it on my og 3ds

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Ordered the CE Compass due to this thread, the aluminum case in Black. You ladies and gents think that was a good choice?

DonMigs85

Ordered the CE Compass due to this thread, the aluminum case in Black. You ladies and gents think that was a good choice?

Just be careful that the aluminum edges don't scratch the 3DS and also they do get dented if dropped or hit hard enough against something.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Just be careful that the aluminum edges don't scratch the 3DS and also they do get dented if dropped or hit hard enough against something.

Thanks for the heads up. I've read this sort of stuff. I'm not terribly concerned about 'er staying pretty so long as she keeps on pluggin' along.

My solution to keeping the screens from touching makes it ugly as hell anyways. I had Xbox feet on there but they were leaving sticky residue (An alcohol wipe will likely fix that) and kept becoming unattached so I bought these "oatmeal" feet. They're sort of like big felt-covered cork pads. I cut one in half and there's a good, wide space between screens now while still allowing sleep mode.

But my XL is far from winning any beauty pageants with them on. I'll probably remove them when I get the case. Does this particular case do a decent job of keeping the screens separate? Or should I go to a hardware store and invest in some little rubber feet?

forrest

formerly nacire
Having bought 2 3ds XL this Christmas I've been looking over tons of these cases trying to find what works best for me. Despite loving the Monster Hunter leather bag and the Cityslicker I decided to try and find the old Ultimate Traveler for DSi XL which this guy reviews and makes a pretty convincing argument for as the best 3ds XL case.

So it was a bit tough to find online and the only black ones I found were overpriced on Amazon and after seeing Wal Mart had some blue ones in stock online, I decided to take a trip to my local Wal Mart to see if I could get lucky. Sure enough, Wal Mart had a couple of the older branded ones in stock as well as a product refresh which was now actually branded for 3ds XL instead of just DSi XL. I bought myself a black version of the older model and my wife a blue version of the refresh.

The only differences are that the logo on the case itself has changed, instead of two zipper pulls, there is one large black zipper pull, and a foam insert is now included so that if you want to use the case for your original 3ds it won't slide around inside.

In looking at the cases by Hori that were somewhat similar, most had gotten rid of the nice mesh pocket (which I see as a must have for the ac adapter) as well as a reduction in game cartridge slot for storing games. I'm not sure why these were changed, but it is for the worse in my opinion.

If you can get to a Wal Mart I strongly recomment the PowerA Ultimate Travel Case. I'm really liking both of ours so far. Sorry for the crappy pics, but it's the best I could do at the moment.

3dscaseseizhj.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Mario and Luigi 3DS cases are up on Club Nintendo.
500 coins.

Mario
Luigi

Edit: These are new zipper pouches, not the draw-string ones that are out of stock.

I use the Nintendo case for the DSi xl and it fits the 3DS perfectly. You showed a picture of it earlier on in your post.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035LBLVI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It looks quite classy in person actually. Feels well built, the exterior is pretty hard and will protect the contents well. Fits 8 game cartridges which is better than most other cases. It's a little price at $20, but I'm happy with my purchase and I would recommend it.

forrest

formerly nacire
Not bad, so it even comes with a foam insert if you have a regular 3DS?

Yeah. You can see the insert in the picture on the far right. It's the rectangular piece that has the 3ds logo on it. That was one of the issues I saw in older reviews of the case. Interesting enough, even the one that I bought for myself, technically a DSiXL case, also had the insert. So I guess as they move through the old cases and into the new ones they are including that new addition with all of them.

I forgot to mention Wal Mart had them in store for $14.98 Its the same one Matrix is linking and while I saw them online for $20 they were actually 5 bucks cheaper at the store.

Eusis

So the old DSi XL version is totally identical to the 3DS-branded one?
That's been the case with the Hori one and the RDS one I switched to.

So another vote for RDS, though I still have the Hori case. RDS one let me carry 8 cards whereas Hori was stuck at 3, and that was getting kind of grating.

DonMigs85

That's been the case with the Hori one and the RDS one I switched to.

So another vote for RDS, though I still have the Hori case. RDS one let me carry 8 cards whereas Hori was stuck at 3, and that was getting kind of grating.
I checked some videos and it looks like the RDS case lacks a mesh pocket, unlike the Power A case.

Top Bottom