• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the hidden gems from 2019 that will be forgotten by this time next year?

Several come to mind:

H2x1_NSwitch_AstralChain_image1600w.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

32807917037_45959bdc39_h.jpg

99e00218a0ac3368d57bda22378682fd6592e1fc.jpeg

I don't expect any of these to be remembered next year except by the loyal fans.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Astral Chain seems like "Instant Cult Classic" status. It'll get some traction going forward, especially if/when it gets released on other consoles in the future potentially. I believe they planned it to be a trilogy so I doubt they'll let us forget about it any time soon.

Devil May Cry 5 is a game in a pretty well-known franchise even outside of gaming circles, which means it'll take longer to fade from public consciousness.

Ace Combat 7 will definitely be on people's radar well into next generation I believe, simply because the VR mission mode is touted as a bit of a "killer app" for PSVR.

Probably right on the other counts.

Here is my contribution:

Tokyo RPG factory games definitely fall under the "hidden gems" category because they usually get hyped up (slightly) before release and then release to no fanfare and middling reviews. Their high prices don't help either, especially since it's well known these are not AAA (or even AA or even A) games and most people aren't willing to pay a premium price for a budget title. Which is kind of a shame, because the game has some interesting ideas and game mechanics. Sadly, even though I bought the game and enjoyed it, even *I* probably won't remember it by this time next year.

So far the best 2019 game I've played. I hope your prediction isn't true but I feel like you're probably right.

It seems to have had less hype than Astral Chain and I didn't see many Adverts on it anywhere other than the Treehouse.

It is a great co-operative game that will sadly be forgotten within the year. :(

Yamisan

OP has very popular games listed in it. o.o Not sure how those are hidden gems.
My top one is Crystar on ps4.

Zephir

Uhm...

-Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, 'cause No More Heroes 3 is already in development so nobody will care about it anymore
-Life is Strange 2, the erratic episode release was a major blow to everybody interests, even though the story is nice (not at LiS 1 levels though)
-Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid is a cool fighting game for PW fanboys but even if it's still supported with DLCs I...don't think people really cared about it
-Team Sonic Racing is solid, fun and with killer soundtrack...but Sega/Sumo Digital "no extra contents" policy pretty much killed it, especially when compared with CTR
-I didn't play them, but for all the talks before release, games like Layers of Fear 2 and Void Bastards where forgotten pretty quickly

Extra: It's not a gem, but if it wasn't for the news about developpers leaving, nobody would remember Anthem after 3 months

I dunno about forgotten but I feel like Control has already lost a majority of its word of mouth and that game is like the second or third best game I've played all gen.

Super sad. At least remedy is making dat china with that tencent shooter they make so hopefully they can continue to make the most inventive, interesting single player games I've ever played.

cireza

I won't forget Code Vein, House in Fata Morgana and a Plague Tale, just as I did not forget every other game I truly loved this gen.

A Plague Tale
This game is in the top 10 best rated games on the Xbox Store (in France at least).

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Played the beta and didn’t like anything. Hitbox is shit, command system is garbage and so on. Game didn’t click with me at all unfortunately. Was hyped before the beta
I didn't played the beta but i've heard from people who played both that the actual game was hugely improved upon. I've put probably around 60+ hours into it and didn't experienced any worse hitboxes than those we have also come to expect in From Software titles. The game did had some flaws but as a new IP it brought fresh ideas into the Soulsborne genre and i enjoyed it immensely.

kunonabi

No idea since I've only bought two games this year since Nintendo still hasn't put out acceptable Switch hardware.

My 2019 is going to end up as:

Resident Evil 2
Samurai Shodown
Death Stranding
Shenmue III

I suppose SS fits the bill the most since its garbage online is probably going to sink it fairly soon.

Mista

Banned
You lot really need a hidden gem this year? Here you go:
I didn't played the beta but i've heard from people who played both that the actual game was hugely improved upon. I've put probably around 60+ hours into it and didn't experienced any worse hitboxes than those we have also come to expect in From Software titles. The game did had some flaws but as a new IP it brought fresh ideas into the Soulsborne genre and i enjoyed it immensely.
This is nice to read. Might get it later when it’s discounted

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
How do we know what a "Hidden Gem" is? A hidden gem today could be a popular game tomorrow.

Life

How do we know what a "Hidden Gem" is? A hidden gem today could be a popular game tomorrow.

Games are not youtube vids that suddenly gain popularity due to random algorhythms. The meaning is self-explanatory. A game that is underrated, underplayed, didn't garner much attention, and is better than most mainstream bullshit out there today (like some mentioned in the original post of this thread).

Yamisan

Games are not youtube vids that suddenly gain popularity due to random algorhythms. The meaning is self-explanatory. A game that is underrated, underplayed, didn't garner much attention, and is better than most mainstream bullshit out there today (like some mentioned in the original post of this thread).
That right there takes DMC5 and Astral Chain off the list though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How are DMC5 and AC7 "hidden" when they're some of the most marketed titles coming from the respective companies? Especially the former?

Last edited:
How are DMC5 and AC7 "hidden" when they're some of the most marketed titles coming from the respective companies?
I don't think either of them are nearly as known as previous entries in the title -- in spite being two of the better games in their respective franchises -- and will be forgotten by this time next year.

But as the thread so far has proven, GAFers thought of even better examples of gems so I'm happy about that.

brap

Banned
Devil May Cry definitely. I heard of this one game called Resident Evil 7 that also doesn't seem to be well known.

molasar

Banned
Xeno Crisis
Door Kickers: Action Squad (technically from 2018 on PC, but an updated version with additional chapter was released this year together with console ports)

Last edited:
Top Bottom