• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About PS6 graphics...

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
well, if HELLBLADE 2 is not at the same level of it's own CGi from 2019, I don't think we'll see some big surprises at this generation...
but we need to consider the fact Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Bend Studios and Sucker Punch didn't show their next generation abilities...
I just think PS6 will really make all those Tech Demos and Alpha Indie projects made in UE5, becoming a real thing...
Even with PS6 GAF will do what they always do, bitch about graphics…..because what they always do, more than playing games.
Just leaving that quote from Danjin44 Danjin44 here. It wouldn't be just GAF to complain about graphics. Which other than feet or NYC, that's pretty much all this thread is about. Griping about graphical issues from a console that doesn't even exist. I thought people were going to grow out of this after 5th gen...but, here's a thread about PS6 because...graphics!

Go play some games.

HighPoly

Banned
Just leaving that quote from Danjin44 Danjin44 here. It wouldn't be just GAF to complain about graphics. Which other than feet or NYC, that's pretty much all this thread is about. Griping about graphical issues from a console that doesn't even exist. I thought people were going to grow out of this after 5th gen...but, here's a thread about PS6 because...graphics!

Go play some games.
you cute..
I'm pretty upset about this generation in general, not only about graphics
I'm thinking about selling my PS5 and buying the next NINTENDO console soon.
Cause I prefer games like 2D and 3D Platform, arcade racing games like Mario Kart, and fighting games in general...
I'm not so hyped about narrative linear games made by SONY studios...
But I'm really thinking about that, I can get Switch 2 in a few years and I don't really need to sell my PS5.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
you cute..
I'm pretty upset about this generation in general, not only about graphics
I'm thinking about selling my PS5 and buying the next NINTENDO console soon.
Cause I prefer games like 2D and 3D Platform, arcade racing games like Mario Kart, and fighting games in general...
I'm not so hyped about narrative linear games made by SONY studios...
But I'm really thinking about that, I can get Switch 2 in a few years and I don't really need to sell my PS5.
So...graphics aren't an issue but OP clearly states...graphics. We're talking another 'what if' with Switch 2 which would likely be equivalent to PS4/XBOXOne graphics. Then this should be another Switch 2 thread.

I've bolded where we've determined that you may need to sell your PS5 and not need to all in the same post. What was the point of this thread again?

HighPoly

Banned
So...graphics aren't an issue but OP clearly states...graphics. We're talking another 'what if' with Switch 2 which would likely be equivalent to PS4/XBOXOne graphics. Then this should be another Switch 2 thread.

I've bolded where we've determined that you may need to sell your PS5 and not need to all in the same post. What was the point of this thread again?
the point is, talks about graphics, nothing more, but you said us to play more and talk less.
So I decided to tell you that I'm upset about this generation, and my hype are getting more about graphics than games at all...
I think the best way of solving it is buying the next Switch. I remember the good old days with my Switch 1 playing games without any graphical hype, expectations...
you cute * - *

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
the point is, talks about graphics, nothing more, but you said us to play more and talk less.
So I decided to tell you that I'm upset about this generation, and my hype are getting more about graphics than games at all...
I think the best way of solving it is buying the next Switch. I remember the good old days with my Switch 1 playing games without any graphical hype, expectations...
you cute * - *
That'd go back toward Danjin's post I quoted. Even if you enter new contenders into preceding the gen; the argument would still be graphics. If it's not all about graphics, then there's plenty to play on PS5, Switch or whichever you prefer. I find gaming to be about choosing something I'll enjoy playing and that's about it. If graphics are the complaint with consoles...everyone should just go for PC in that case. Even then, that really depend on what type of game you're looking at.

People were upset with 5th gen too. But those going back to play older consoles nowadays can easily see tell whether or not they really liked Saturn, PS1 or N64 (examples) for graphics or if they're too busy having fun playing.

Knightime_X

I still remember fantasizing about playing a resident evil game with real time 3d graphics that look as good as pre-rendered.
And here we are with re8 looking vastly better than anything pre-rendered years ago.
That and real time in general looking better than full motion video cutscenes in games.

SHA

Next Gen specs is current gen specs multiplied by 6, it's not that complicated, Technology is just the seasoning.

yurinka

Guys, across the generations what we've seen are games becoming the same Tech Demo level graphics from generations in the past...
Today we've recently reaching the same SAMARITAN or Infiltrator level graphics in UE4 from 2011 to 2014 tech demo graphics...
So we'll see some open world GTA like game, with MATRIX AWAKENS level graphics only on next consoles,
That PS5 demo runs in PS5. There will be PS5 games looking like that. But the engine was released last year, meaning we won't see big AAA games taking full advantage of the engine and the hardware until maybe around 4 years from that, starting in maybe late 2025-early2026.

Many generations around the end of the generation we saw games that already were using all the tech features (and more) than the ones shown in the tech demos, and saw games with real time in-engine demos looking better than the related UE tech demos of that generation. That includes Samaritan and Infiltrator, and will happen with the UE5 ones.

the worst gen ever !

do you think 3 years is enough to release LAST OF US 3, GHOST OF SUSHI 2, GOD OF WAR IN THE EGYPT MITOLOGY, UNCHARTED 5, WOLVERINE, BEND STUDIOS GAME, NEW SANTA MONICA GAME ???

I don't know, but I think the cumulative way SONY is making their marketing will explode some minds!

3 years ! ! ! I MEAN 3 YEARS !!! This will be the most exploding 3 years titles released in only one generation...

OR, as we all know, this gen will end with less games than we can even imagine...
Now seriously: Sony traditionally releases their consoles every 7 years. That would mean they'd release PS6 November 2027.

But this doesn't mean they'd stop supporting PS5 at that point: Sony traditionally supports their consoles during over 10 years. Meaning that by 2030 very likely PS5 will continue getting games.

I think they'll release this gen:
WOLVERINE (late 2024)
NEW SANTA MONICA GAME (2025)
GHOST OF SUSHI 2 (2025)
BEND STUDIOS GAME (2026)
UNCHARTED reboot, not called 5 (with non-binary lesbian daughter as main protagonist, 2027)

I think they'll release next gen:
GOD OF WAR IN THE EGYPT MITOLOGY (2028, crossgen)
LAST OF US 3 (2029)

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
That'd go back toward Danjin's post I quoted. Even if you enter new contenders into preceding the gen; the argument would still be graphics. If it's not all about graphics, then there's plenty to play on PS5, Switch or whichever you prefer. I find gaming to be about choosing something I'll enjoy playing and that's about it. If graphics are the complaint with consoles...everyone should just go for PC in that case. Even then, that really depend on what type of game you're looking at.

People were upset with 5th gen too. But those going back to play older consoles nowadays can easily see tell whether or not they really liked Saturn, PS1 or N64 (examples) for graphics or if they're too busy having fun playing.
I
That PS5 demo runs in PS5. There will be PS5 games looking like that. But the engine was released last year, meaning we won't see big AAA games taking full advantage of the engine and the hardware until maybe around 4 years from that, starting in maybe late 2025-early2026.

Many generations around the end of the generation we saw games that already were using all the tech features (and more) than the ones shown in the tech demos, and saw games with real time in-engine demos looking better than the related UE tech demos of that generation. That includes Samaritan and Infiltrator, and will happen with the UE5 ones.

Now seriously: Sony traditionally releases their consoles every 7 years. That would mean they'd release PS6 November 2027.

But this doesn't mean they'd stop supporting PS5 at that point: Sony traditionally supports their consoles during over 10 years. Meaning that by 2030 very likely PS5 will continue getting games.

I think they'll release this gen:
WOLVERINE (late 2024)
NEW SANTA MONICA GAME (2025)
GHOST OF SUSHI 2 (2025)
BEND STUDIOS GAME (2026)
UNCHARTED reboot, not called 5 (with non-binary lesbian daughter as main protagonist, 2027)

I think they'll release next gen:
GOD OF WAR IN THE EGYPT MITOLOGY (2028, crossgen)
LAST OF US 3 (2029)

you soooo cute ' - '

Well, Do you think all those games that will release this generation, will give us some amazing graphics, like Matrix Awakens ??
I can tell you AVATAR from UBISOFT, will look as near as possible to MATRIX this year !

yurinka

you soooo cute ' - '
I'm just stating facts that you can double check.

You are acting as if PS5 games won't be able to do what a PS5 demo that runs on real time already does.

That demo already does it, so obviously other games that will use this tech will do it. As happened with the previous UE tech demos, they show a tech that will be available for devs in that engine.

After devs see that demo when announcing that new UE version, they take a few years to make their games using that tech, and take a few years more to master that hardware and the engine. And at some point they use all the tech features shown in that cinematic demo.

Well, Do you think all those games that will release this generation, will give us some amazing graphics, like Matrix Awakens ??
I can tell you AVATAR from UBISOFT, will look as near as possible to MATRIX this year !
Not all of them (because some will release relatively soon, before they start to use engines that master the hardware), but the top Sony studios are known for constantly have the best looking games in the industry, and particularly better than UE.

So at some point later in this generation, once the top UE games start to look like the Matrix demo, the top Sony games will look even better. These and several other ones that you didn't list, including some that we still don't know anything about them.

No, we already saw Avatar trailers and it won't look like the Matrix demo.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
I'm just stating facts that you can double check.

You are acting as if PS5 games won't be able to do what a PS5 demo that runs on real time already does.

That demo already does it, so obviously other games that will use this tech will do it. As happened with the previous UE tech demos, they show a tech that will be available for devs in that engine.

After devs see that demo when announcing that new UE version, they take a few years to make their games using that tech, and take a few years more to master that hardware and the engine. And at some point they use all the tech features shown in that cinematic demo.

Not all of them (because some will release relatively soon, before they start to use engines that master the hardware), but the top Sony studios are known for constantly have the best looking games in the industry, and particularly better than UE.

So at some point later in this generation, once the top UE games start to look like the Matrix demo, the top Sony games will look even better. These and several other ones that you didn't list, including some that we still don't know anything about them.

No, we already saw Avatar trailers and it won't look like the Matrix demo.
yeah, but don't you think they could push to the limit all those games, but in their older ENGINES?
like, Spider Man 2 is the limit of what we can see using the old/current Insomaniac Engine... Ratchat Clank Rift Apart too

I mean, take a look at what MK11 and MK1 are doing with UE3 and UE4...

But anyway, I'd like to see a true next gen engine like UE5, I'm very hyped about that

Jimmy Fallon Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

yurinka

yeah, but don't you think they could push to the limit all those games, but in their older ENGINES?
like, Spider Man 2 is the limit of what we can see using the old/current Insomaniac Engine... Ratchat Clank Rift Apart too

I mean, take a look at what MK11 and MK1 are doing with UE3 and UE4...

But anyway, I'd like to see a true next gen engine like UE5, I'm very hyped about that
The tech specs of the consoles and their devkits aren't ready until around a year and a half or so before release. They need some years to make the engine.The engine needs to be made, at least on a basic meaty way, at the earlier stages of the development.

AAA games nowadays take like half a dozen games to be made. That means that until around the 5th year or so of the console you won't see games taking advantage of the hardware. And that would be in the case that dev team (not publisher/studio) nail it with the first game for the console at pushing the hardware, when traditionally that happened with the second or even third game they made for the console.

And this time, thanks to the SSD and I/O this generation allows way more than only slightly better improvements. As we saw in the Cerny and UE talks/demos it changes how games are developed, their workflow and a shit ton of things that together represent the biggest change in game development since we moved from 2D to 3D. That means they need more time than in other generational transitions first to make the engines and related tools, second to get used to the new workflow and engine/tools, and third to master everything and reach the potential.

Until that, what they will use is going to be refurbished versions of previous gen engines that don't push the potential of the hardware, and will continue using previous gen techniques and tools so games will continue looking very similar.

Which is the case of games that started to be made in 2016-2018 like Rift Apart or Spider-Man 2, which was before the PS5 tech didn't even exist and they didn't even have the specs, so obviously they couldn't design the game and their engine around that new hardware. So it's stupid to ask them to push the limits of the hardware and reach its potential.

Montauk

Some of you will just never, ever be satisfied.

If anyone here seriously spends time thinking about the PS6, they should be locked up in an institution.

HighPoly

Banned
The tech specs of the consoles and their devkits aren't ready until around a year and a half or so before release. They need some years to make the engine.The engine needs to be made, at least on a basic meaty way, at the earlier stages of the development.

AAA games nowadays take like half a dozen games to be made. That means that until around the 5th year or so of the console you won't see games taking advantage of the hardware. And that would be in the case that dev team (not publisher/studio) nail it with the first game for the console at pushing the hardware, when traditionally that happened with the second or even third game they made for the console.

And this time, thanks to the SSD and I/O this generation allows way more than only slightly better improvements. As we saw in the Cerny and UE talks/demos it changes how games are developed, their workflow and a shit ton of things that together represent the biggest change in game development since we moved from 2D to 3D. That means they need more time than in other generational transitions first to make the engines and related tools, second to get used to the new workflow and engine/tools, and third to master everything and reach the potential.

Until that, what they will use is going to be refurbished versions of previous gen engines that don't push the potential of the hardware, and will continue using previous gen techniques and tools so games will continue looking very similar.

Which is the case of games that started to be made in 2016-2018 like Rift Apart or Spider-Man 2, which was before the PS5 tech didn't even exist and they didn't even have the specs, so obviously they couldn't design the game and their engine around that new hardware. So it's stupid to ask them to push the limits of the hardware and reach its potential.
What do you expect from the next MARIO ?? the jump will be amazing, but we need to consider the game will be the first NINTENDO's next gen game.
I don't know anything about NINTENDO's engines...

yurinka

What do you expect from the next MARIO ?? the jump will be amazing, but we need to consider the game will be the first NINTENDO's next gen game.
I don't know anything about NINTENDO's engines...
It will be the 3224023th Mario game on Switch, and the 347023040203204023th game in the series. So I don't expect any surprise, will be they just milking the old cow.

Top Bottom