• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About PS6 graphics...

Perrott

Gold Member
3 more.years? This gen is not ending in 3 more years. 2028 holiday is when you see new console launches. So it's actually 4 years and a 2 and a half months more.
5 years and 2 and a half months more*

Which to be fair, only reinforces your point.

Last edited:

Closer

I'm want better games, not better graphics, but sure. Maybe PS6 is gonna go away with framegen and reconstruction. One man can dream.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Nah, even then most rpgs you had control over the entire party but by the end of that gen you started to only have some control over you party. Now you don’t even have full control over your player in rpgs. Only a weapon and an accessory in most. 😵‍💫
Well I don't really play those type of games. Interms of action rpgs they are much better and so are action games they are no longer in easy mode and actually require skill.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Sorry…I’ve been around the Gaf block long enough to know a poster with a Mario avatar, low posts, and an asinine post about something Playstation, that is like 4 years from now….is fishing.

Stuart360

Imo something like the Matrix demo will probably be around the standard next gen, maybe the Matrix demo level of graphics will even be seen as some of the better graphics for the systems. And by Matrix demo level i mean that level but obviously with a full working world and being a proper game.
It will be another small jump, just like this gen.
And i do find it a bit ironic that the people who keep wanting the best graphics, are also pushing full path tracing, somehting that will keep overall graphics levels low.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
And i do find it a bit ironic that the people who keep wanting the best graphics, are also pushing full path tracing, somehting that will keep overall graphics levels low.

As they should. We are talking 2028, full path tracing will definitely be the norm by then and will lift, not compromise other visual areas.

Stuart360

As they should. We are talking 2028, full path tracing will definitely be the norm by then and will lift, not compromise other visual areas.
Full path tracing with games that look like games from this gen, at 60fps if we are lucky but probably 30fps with most of them, and 1080p-1440p resolutions.

I think we will be even more disappointed by the jump from PS5 to PS6 and XSX to Xbox Next than we were this gen.
All we can expect is more 60fps, more RT and games struggling on UE5 for another generation.

I think we will be even more disappointed by the jump from PS5 to PS6 and XSX to Xbox Next than we were this gen.
All we can expect is more 60fps, more RT and games struggling on UE5 for another generation.
Next generation will be UE6. Every generation UE jumps to a whole new version and this is a hard cold fact, not an opinion or an assumption. PS3/360 was UE3, PS4/X1 was UE4, PS5/XSX was UE5 and PS6/NextXbox will be UE6. Unreal Engine 5 is actually on version 5.3 already.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Next generation will be UE6. Every generation UE jumps to a whole new version and this is a hard cold fact, not an opinion or an assumption. PS3/360 was UE3, PS4/X1 was UE4, PS5/XSX was UE5 and PS6/NextXbox will be UE6. Unreal Engine 5 is actually on version 5.3 already.
Yep there will def be UE6 early on in the gen. But there will also be a lot of UE5 games too, like there is with UE4 games this gen.
UE6 will just mean we are talking like we are this gen with UE5. Needing more powerul consoles because UE6 is so hard to run.

Dream-Knife

Banned
With the way things are going, the extra power will just go wasted.

I picked back up MW2019 this weekend. It doesn't look much different from MW22, but runs considerably worse.

This year we have seen mediocre games run like trash. I think this is the future. The extra power will just go to brute forcing bad code in PS4 level games.

AMD is too far behind to get full path tracing at decent frame rates.

Next gen consoles will still be traditional raster.

Not that that matters, Switch 2 will still lead the gen.

Last edited:
I think this will go longer.
The roll out of UE5 took longer than they expected, and no hardware is powerful enough to exploit it to any degree yet.

For a game to look like the Matrix, running at 60fps, full lumen and high res textures, we will needing GPUs of 50tflops at this point, minimum. The next gen of consoles will be lucky to be half that.

Normally another evolution of UE doesn't happen until there are enough new feature sets to vindicate the new generation.
The jump from UE4 to UE5 has been the biggest so far with Lumen and Nanite.
Game design boils down to a certain number of things. Lighting, textures, animation and Al amongst them.
UE5 brought out Nanite to cull triangles and address LOD, and Luman was their lighting solution for GI, which is a massive resource hog. I have heard it said it is as bad as RT.
So what could be new for UE to vindicate the new generation?
I'm not saying you are wrong, far from it, and I don't know what's in the Unreal pipeline, I just see we are half way through the generation now, maybe 2 or 3 games have released on UE5, and they have been rough to say the least.
I just think that the power the next gen consoles have, still won't be enough to exploit UE5.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It'll be slight improvement on current gen graphics at but @120fps.
People will be saying we need a PS6 Pro because games with a performance mode are 240fps at only 1440p and aren't locked at 240fps and have dips to 233fps

Every time I see the ops avatar I think of this now.

A0K0tjj.jpg

sachos

Take a look at AVATAR this year, Horizon DLC, and you'll find the same level of last gen Tech Demo, finally in real time...

What last gen tech demo? I think Batman AK is around Samaritan level, Infiltrator is harder to say but i think many last gen games reached that level of quality and maybe with even better photorealism like The Order 1866, UC4 or TLoU2 no?
I think next gen consoles MUST go full on AI rendering, both resolution and RT reconstruction. Full Pathtracing totally achieves a next gen look.

I think this will go longer.
The roll out of UE5 took longer than they expected, and no hardware is powerful enough to exploit it to any degree yet.

For a game to look like the Matrix, running at 60fps, full lumen and high res textures, we will needing GPUs of 50tflops at this point, minimum. The next gen of consoles will be lucky to be half that.

Normally another evolution of UE doesn't happen until there are enough new feature sets to vindicate the new generation.
The jump from UE4 to UE5 has been the biggest so far with Lumen and Nanite.
Game design boils down to a certain number of things. Lighting, textures, animation and Al amongst them.
UE5 brought out Nanite to cull triangles and address LOD, and Luman was their lighting solution for GI, which is a massive resource hog. I have heard it said it is as bad as RT.
So what could be new for UE to vindicate the new generation?
I'm not saying you are wrong, far from it, and I don't know what's in the Unreal pipeline, I just see we are half way through the generation now, maybe 2 or 3 games have released on UE5, and they have been rough to say the least.
I just think that the power the next gen consoles have, still won't be enough to exploit UE5.
Epic doesn't care what tflops next gen consoles will be. Plenty of games ran well on UE4 at measly 1.3 teraflops of the PS4. Consoles don't determine how powerful the next engine will be. UE is very scaleable and has been for decades now.

And what you mean it took a while for UE5 to come into the cycle of the generation? UE5 was announced on in May 2020, which is 6 months before the release of the new gen consoles. It takes time for the engine to picked up and learned by the dvelopers and you are also forgetting that 2020 was also the year when the apocalypse began which delayed things a tad bit. UE5 was the released into preview mode in February of 2022 which is less than 2 years and finally fully released out of beta preview in August of that same year.

Then, in November of 2022 Unreal Engine 5.1 was fully released, fast forward to May of 2023 Unreal Engine 5.2 was released and now recently a few weeks ago or so Unreal Engine 5.3 is now released as well. They really spiked and speed through the iterations within less than a year. I am projecting 5.4 for either Novemeber or December, but since it might be holidays then January or February for sure.

We also got our first Unreal Engine 5.1 game in August of this year. Granted it was a bit doo doo but it was still the first release. Also, for your info, the very first Unreal Engine 4 game that was released for the PS4/X1 era was Dead by Daylight, it came out in April 14th of 2014. That game still looks like shit to this day despite the fact there are plenty of beautiful UE4 games out there now.

Yeah, sooner than a UE5 game, but we were not in a middle of an apocalypse. Also, UE4 didn't have as many new fancy features to fuck around with like UE5 is. UE5 is a much bigger leap than UE3 to UE4 was based from what I been seeing snd experimenting with myself in the privacy of my own home. A lot of indie devs are also quite happy with how full featured it is and what kind of stuff they can achieve with it.

The next big thing in gaming and engines in general won't just be a much higher polycount but also massive advancements in AI. AI is the next big huge leap for the industry and not just the world. And of course lighting, higher res textures, bigger worlds, will also be a part of it. If you look at Fortnite today running on max settings on a 4090 RTX with Lumen the game ends up looking like a borderline CG Pixar film. But you'd have too see it in person, especially at 140+ FPS.

if you are a 3d film production studio, you can render your entire 3d film now in Unreal Engine 5. Previously, you weren't able to do that, thats another cool thing as well. Unreal Engine 5 is not for just games anymore, but other industries as well, or 3d industries I should say rather.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
What last gen tech demo? I think Batman AK is around Samaritan level, Infiltrator is harder to say but i think many last gen games reached that level of quality and maybe with even better photorealism like The Order 1866, UC4 or TLoU2 no?
I think next gen consoles MUST go full on AI rendering, both resolution and RT reconstruction. Full Pathtracing totally achieves a next gen look.
we've recently touched the INFILTRATOR and Agni's Philosophy Tech Demos in real time gameplay.
no doubt, buuuuuuuutttt..... just recently, like, Last of Us Remake, RE4, DEAD SPACE, Calisto, Horizon, Ratchet Clank, and soon Alan Wake 2, AVATAR, Spider 2, FORZA you know?
Next year more and more games with the same tech demo level graphics, MGS3, SH2, FF7 Rebirth, HELLBLADE 2...
But my point is, making a GTA game with exactly the same MATRIX AWAKENS level with all those buildings and car physics crashing, as a full game with all elements and features that GTA use to have, is something only possible on the next PLAYSTATION/XBOX, you know?

Or a linear game that looks like the first HELLBLADE 2 trailer from 2019, all those animations and motion captures or meta human from UE5 whatever!

Pimpbaa

So we'll see some open world GTA like game, with MATRIX AWAKENS level graphics only on next consoles, cause as we all know Spider Man 2 and GTA 6 won't touch that level yet...

At least Spiderman 2 and GTA 6 will have HDR. Why Epic can’t do (or can’t make it easy to do) such a basic feature of most modern games is beyond me.

mystech

I’m going to go against the grain here and say the PS6 / Xbox? will bring one of the biggest visual jumps we’ve seen in a long time. Reason being A.I. updates and new advancements in A.I. tools for upscaling, frame generation and other aspects of visuals that will no doubt come between now and 2028. The rumors about the Switch 2 are showing the potential already. A system with power comparable to the PS4 can theoretically push graphics that “appear” to be near the same level as the much more powerful PS5 all because the A.I. can do most of the heavy lifting to achieve a higher resolution without bogging down the GPU. For systems like the Switch 2 these A.I. additions provide an easy way to catch up visually without needing the raw power. For the PS6 generation, these same tools can be used along with higher raw power.

Just imagine if AMD gets their FSR system closer to Nvidia levels. Better up scaling, frame generation that can take a 30fps game and make it smooth 60-90, raytracing, etc. Now combine that technology with systems specs that far outclass the current PS5 or the future PS5 Pro. Now you have a system that can surpass the current gen with raw power alone but with A.I. that raw power can be used in a different way while A.I. does the rest. I think the PS5 and Series X will be the last consoles to push visuals on raw power alone.

It’s time to work smarter not harder. I’ll bet the new consoles have an A.I. chip built right in.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I’m going to go against the grain here and say the PS6 / Xbox? will bring one of the biggest visual jumps we’ve seen in a long time. Reason being A.I. updates and new advancements in A.I. tools for upscaling, frame generation and other aspects of visuals that will no doubt come between now and 2028. The rumors about the Switch 2 are showing the potential already. A system with power comparable to the PS4 can theoretically push graphics that “appear” to be near the same level as the much more powerful PS5 all because the A.I. can do most of the heavy lifting to achieve a higher resolution without bogging down the GPU. For systems like the Switch 2 these A.I. additions provide an easy way to catch up visually without needing the raw power. For the PS6 generation, these same tools can be used along with higher raw power.

Just imagine if AMD gets their FSR system closer to Nvidia levels. Better up scaling, frame generation that can take a 30fps game and make it smooth 60-90, raytracing, etc. Now combine that technology with systems specs that far outclass the current PS5 or the future PS5 Pro. Now you have a system that can surpass the current gen with raw power alone but with A.I. that raw power can be used in a different way while A.I. does the rest. I think the PS5 and Series X will be the last consoles to push visuals on raw power alone.

It’s time to work smarter not harder. I’ll bet the new consoles have an A.I. chip built right in.
We have the AMD roadmap and they aren't doing that.

sachos

But my point is, making a GTA game with exactly the same MATRIX AWAKENS level with all those buildings and car physics crashing, as a full game with all elements and features that GTA use to have, is something only possible on the next PLAYSTATION/XBOX, you know?

Or a linear game that looks like the first HELLBLADE 2 trailer from 2019, all those animations and motion captures or meta human from UE5 whatever!
Yeah i get your point. I agree GTA level game with Matrix Awakens graphics may be too crazy for this gen, but a linear game with Hellblade 2 trailer like graphics maaaay be possible by the end of gen if we are lucky no? I don't know about those face animations but i have faith in optimized RTGI/Lumen by end of generation (2027/2028).

God the quality of Neogaf has really suffered since they let anyone join lol like ummm ok bro 😂 Im curious to how old you are because if i had to guess youre gen z for sure because graphics are at a level that are so high in triple a titles that its actually a ridiculous sentiment to be overly complaining and concerned about them. Like omg graphics arent life-like yet lol give me a break. Have you played God of War? Do you see that level of fidelity and how amazing the artistic direction is ? Red dead 2 ? Last of us 2 ? I mean i can go on and on . These games are visual masterpieces.

Youre upset because 8k isnt the norm yet ? Lol the Matrix Awakens demo is so impressive because its not an actual game lol its able to allocate all that graphical prowess of the engine to a small amount of assets. One day yes there will be more horsepower to make an actual game look like that but if thats your main focus then id argue youre focused on the wrong things.

Gameplay is king my friend. Graphics are good enough and where at the point where there will be only incremental improvements going forward because they’re already so crazy. Its really about cost at this point because manufacturing cost for this level of tech has to go down before its standardized in consoles and we all know the popularity of consoles dictates how far graphics will go.

Better graphics already exist but theyre not affordable for the average consumer so developers tailor make games for consoles instead of top tier pc gpu’s. If high level Pc’s were as popular as consoles and dev’s were making games for the 4090 wed see matrix awakens level graphics possibly in an actual game. But because of high cost of top end gpu’s obviously this will never happen thats why were pretty much at the mercy of things becoming more affordable so it could be put into consoles at their pricing.

Anyways idk i play games that interest me not games that blow me away visually in every way ive imagined. Destiny 2 is a good example of a game that is dated visually but its artistic direction really keeps it looking current. And ill end this with have you seen Alan Wake 2 ? Lol you need more than that to feel satisfied about visuals ?

Last edited:

Boss Man

The next playstation will be digital only and it will require a PS+ Luxury subscription tied to your tiktok account to install games. It will be called The Playstation Six.

The US government will require employers to provide PS6 access to all full-time employees, and any US adult who has access to a PS6 but is not subscribed to PS+ Luxury will incur a tax penalty.

The marketing campaign will be
Playstation 6: Participation is Mandatory

HDMI cable will be included.

Last edited:

daninthemix

There is only one thing guaranteed about the PS6, and that's this: within a few years people will be clamoring for PS6 Pro.

StueyDuck

im hoping PS6 is just PSVR 3 that can plug into the TV with a controller switch style.

time for gaming to progress and move forward. lets get some good ol fashioned innovation in our games again, those were the days.

I am curious what even can happen in the next gen. We are not that far to it I guess. Just more of the same or actual leaps and some exotic pieces of tech?

AMDs RT approach is different than Nvidias and Intels and seems not to pay off. Better also make some dedicated areas for RT?

SSDs seem fine for some time, since every other piece seems to bottleneck Nvme and that's probably the part that advanced the most this current gen while the rest evolved only slightly.

I guess how to integrate wider/faster RAM and much more Cache as close as possible to the compute units is to my understanding the most significant task going forward. I guess the whole chiplet thing might help glueing together a bunch of small pieces to form a ginormous APU with some huge next gen 3DCache. But there must be some bigger changes, because going with 4nm or 3nm won't do that much anymore if their is not something else going on to boost that.

What about analog processors like the Mythic and IBM stuff. Can this also benefit gaming? It's developed for AI stuff for now because that's memory heavy and seems like an area companies are willing to invest heavily in, but graphics need that too, so maybe with a whole new approach to architecture and rendering this might work for future engines as well especially if it may work for RT??? As far as I understand analog has a bit more of an accuracy problem, but games are no super exact science anyway, so it might fit perfectly.

HighPoly

Banned
Yeah i get your point. I agree GTA level game with Matrix Awakens graphics may be too crazy for this gen, but a linear game with Hellblade 2 trailer like graphics maaaay be possible by the end of gen if we are lucky no? I don't know about those face animations but i have faith in optimized RTGI/Lumen by end of generation (2027/2028).
well, if HELLBLADE 2 is not at the same level of it's own CGi from 2019, I don't think we'll see some big surprises at this generation...
but we need to consider the fact Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Bend Studios and Sucker Punch didn't show their next generation abilities...
I just think PS6 will really make all those Tech Demos and Alpha Indie projects made in UE5, becoming a real thing...

Top Bottom