• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think are the odds for a "new" physical format?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
250gb Blu-ray's are already possible and there is even a 1TB Disc.
Currently there is no need for them because 8k media is too sparse despite having 8K TV's on the market
When the industry does start pushing 8K media you will probably see dedicated players from some but not all.
But that's a big if, but it's the only way 8K will take off because you can forget about streaming it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We’ll see where physical media goes digital is doing great if we’re using cod as an example I wish people would try to explain its war zone, multiplayer and a campaign.

cireza

8/16 bits cartridges best format. Still work today, repairable, no need for unreliable optical drive etc... Good-luck repairing blurays in 20 years.

Last edited:
holographic-memory-5-728.jpg

Won't be happening. Why? Just simply no need with the existence of digital media/servers.

Also this

"Single discs are projected to run between $120-180USD while drives are estimated to initially cost $15,000USD. Prices are expected to fall as time progresses. Home computers used to be for the rich as well, costing around $1,300USD (adjusted to 2019 equivalent). However, the initial sticker shock turns most away, especially when they could utilize other digital mediums for significantly less and with more convenience.

Which leads to another obstacle: digital streaming and digital media formats. The mid 2000s saw a booming increase in media consumed digitally, either through streaming services like Netflix and Hulu, websites like YouTube, or file sharing/pirate sites like Limewire or Piratebay. Buyers liked being able to store whole libraries on one computer or TV without the hassle of physical storage and damage. No more loading the disc tray or trying to buff out scratches to the disc, either."

Fredrik

would be cool if cartridges come back as ssd. They could use low tier QLC modules that are read only and use a nvme interface with direct access to the cpu and gpu.
What Xbox is doing with the slot-in external SSD is perfect for cartridge games. They designed it with the pins aligned so you can just jank it out and push it in with the console powered up.
Would be costy though.

DaGwaphics

What Xbox is doing with the slot-in external SSD is perfect for cartridge games. They designed it with the pins aligned so you can just jank it out and push it in with the console powered up.
Would be costy though.

A NVMe based cartridge could be a thing, it would just be an issue of price. Maybe you could shift the controller and all non-memory components to the console and just have the memory modules connect to that.

In the end though, each user would end up with tens of TBs of data stored on the cartridges, and they certainly would have paid for it all in one way or another.

saintjules

Hmm that's interesting. Never heard of this until now.

Truth be told though I don't think we're going to have anymore physical media come PS6. If we do, it will be the last one imo.

Yeah I talked about this before the PS5 launch, around late 2019 I think. I thought it might have been the new media to use to store large amounts of data for the current gen.

Last edited:

SHA

Physical Stable updates , they should be a real thing, otherwise it's a mess cost wise , idgas but there's still people who don't wanna use the internet, you really wanna capitalize on those demographic.

Last edited:

L. Kosugi

Neo Member
Zero. Physical media means less profit and less control. With digital only you basically pay for "something" that can be altered anytime or even removed from the store without any consequence.

MarkMe2525

We’ll see where physical media goes digital is doing great if we’re using cod as an example I wish people would try to explain its war zone, multiplayer and a campaign.
What?

Edit: So I just went through your post history and I'm having a hard time not believing you are a ChatGPT experiment.

Last edited:

Drew1440

I wonder for next-gen we could see consoles streaming data directly over the internet? I'm not talking about cloud streaming services like Stadia/Luna but consoles having a small amount of storage for cache, with all the data being steaming off their servers as it's needed.
Gamepass would benefit from this as it's easy to fill up a console and run out of storage space with the number of games offered and very little would need to be downloaded, but the loading times could be a concern if your internet connection is not up for it.

marjo

I can see a new smaller form factor SSD replacing M.2 for use in portable devices, or a much higher speed micro SD interface.

flying_sq

Might go flash based, but I highly doubt you will see physical next generation. If it does exist, wouldn't be shocked if it was regional based on physical sales of this generation.

Top Bottom