• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Xz2ftVn.jpg

Owning fellow nubs in quick play after a long ass hiatus

Certinty

Just finished Modern Warfare II and Gotham Knights. The former was one of the best Call of Duty campaigns in years, absolutely loved it. The latter was far better than I expected too, nowhere near the Arkham games and in places it's not very good, but there's enough there to still have a lot of fun.

Now moving onto God of War Ragnarok before A Plague Tale Requiem and The Quarry.

Really glad to have great single player games around again. Has brought me back into gaming.

stn

I got hyped by Ragnarok and pre-ordered it, along with also buying God Of War (2018). It is amazing so far. Just based on the story world so far, I have a feeling this will probably end up my favorite in the franchise (at least until I play Ragnarok next).

sedg87

Banned
Finished Blair Witch. I love the first Blair Witch film, which is the only reason I bought and played it - not a massive fan of Bloober Team. I thought it was okay. The setting is great and I like the dog element, but it's not particularly scary and the whole tape and flashback thing didn't do it for me.

Not sure what I'll play next. Played a lot of horrors recently so perhaps something a little different.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
God of War Ragnarök (~6 hours, so far it's excellent)

+ my first ever JRPG: Final Fantasy VII on Steam Deck with mods. It's super cool, I like it more than I thought I would

bender

What time is it?
I'm on Chapter 10 of the new Plague Tale. Chapter 9 almost made me quit the game as it was so fucking boring. Beyond the visuals, I'm not really impressed.

-Zelda-

Banned
I got hyped by Ragnarok and pre-ordered it, along with also buying God Of War (2018). It is amazing so far. Just based on the story world so far, I have a feeling this will probably end up my favorite in the franchise (at least until I play Ragnarok next).
I want to jump into them sometime. I wonder if the PS4 game will get or already has a PS5 upgrade? Also, I would like to see the other God of War games remade in order to be more consistant visually and camera wise with these two newer games.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Mainly Contractors VR. Maybe i am in the honeymoon period but I am finding it hard to muster any interest in non-VR games.

Type_Raver

Got a few things on the go at the moment...

• God of War Ragnarok (PS4 Pro)
Love how the game begins, snow level design, and the gameplay is top notch!
It might feel and sound a little too familiar at these early stages, due to the accumulation of re-used assets (sounds, effects, music).

I've popped the lid off slightly on the PS4 Pro to help the air intake, to somewhat mitigate the fan speed noise. Also, its a bad idea to place the console in a tv unit's bay. The way the console is designed is to absorb air from the sides, and the air just circulates into a cycle of taking in the ejected (from the back) hot air! I dont have space on top of the unit, so ive cocked it out on an angle and its made a noticeable difference.

• Yoshis Island (retroarch Wii)
  • F-Zero X (PC Mupen64plus) & GX (original disk played on Wii)
Playing these on a combination of Wii/PC on my Sony CRT trinitron TV. Adore the look of retro games on CRT tv's, especially when played at 240p for those glorious scanlines.
I might create a thread sharing the details of my PC to CRT tv setup, cataloging the steps taken as a future reference for others.

Duchess

Got to the end of Elden Ring, then got tired of chasing Dino around his arena. As far as I'm concerned, I've finished that game. At some point, I'll summon some cooperators in to help me finish the battle, if any are available (no PS+ right now).

Currently playing Angry Video Game Nerd, as a palette cleanser. Getting a borrow of Resident Evil 8 off my brother, so will start that after the weekend.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Started Judgment on PC. Not as funny as the Yakuza games, but so far I'm liking the story and the investigtion sections and minigames. Yagami also has some cool fighting moves, feels more agile than Kiryu.

Last edited:
God of War Ragnarok, after that i'm planning to play A Plague Tale Requiem.
You do like some family bonding stories, huh? A Plague Tale Requiem is heavy on my machine without DLSS but it is an incredible sequel to the first game (minus some more action-heavy sequences, didn't feel the combat of the game was made with it in mind first). Prepare for some great moments with it if you were invested in the first game.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Yeah first game was great, especially after the 60fps patch on consoles. Sadly it's only 30fps (or 40fps if you have HDMI 2.1 TV), but still after the first game it's one of the games i was looking forward the most from Game Pass.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I gave Hyrule Warriors: Definitive a chance since I'm relatively unfamiliar with the games overall. A few things I don't get...menu locks out multiplayer mode and everything is greyed out except Legend mode...

So...tried Legend mode and felt like a Fire Emblem game with Legend of Zelda characters. My wife just picked up Age of Calamity. Not even going to touch that unless I can go multiplayer with the 1st.

Other than that, Pikmin 3 Deluxe has been fun too. First Pikmin game I've played since the 1st on GC.

Corian33

Horizon: Zero Dawn - Just finished the main quest line in Frozen Wild, headed back to wrap up the main story. I feel like I could spend another 15 hours getting every little quest done but I think I’m ready finish it and maybe pick up FW in a few weeks.

Civilization VI - Randomly fired it up and started a normal game. “One more turn” got me and now I’m 250 turns into a game as Germany. Struggled for a while because I couldn’t reach any iron, but now I’m rolling. I’ve made friends with city states surrounding one my neighbors and prepping to invade. They should have been kinder when I wanted to trade for their iron.

I gave Hyrule Warriors: Definitive a chance since I'm relatively unfamiliar with the games overall. A few things I don't get...menu locks out multiplayer mode and everything is greyed out except Legend mode...

So...tried Legend mode and felt like a Fire Emblem game with Legend of Zelda characters. My wife just picked up Age of Calamity. Not even going to touch that unless I can go multiplayer with the 1st.
Yeah, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure everything is locked until you've played the first Legend ( = story mode) mission. Same with Age of Calamity, can't access the map (and everything on it) or play multiplayer until you've played the first map.

I fail to see how those games, with the typical Warriors action gameplay, are in any way similar to a tactical RPG like Fire Emblem though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Castlevania Anniversary Collection and Requiem (Rondo of Blood/SOTN). Also have a game going on the Wii U for Harmony of Dissonance.

3 things:

1. I grew up playing Castlevania games but the pure side scrollers were always too tough for me, still are for the most part. Save state is saving my ass. This is the first time in my life where I'm playing them confidently and actually doing pretty well. It's a great feeling to finally have the mechanics click into place for me.

2. Rondo of Blood is frigging amazing. I've seen footage of it on YouTube and I played a bit of Dracula X via emulators but man, actually playing Rondo, it's sooooooooo good. Beyond stunning and I absolutely love the QOL improvements. Being able to bypass levels after you've beat them, or play them again to find new routes, or to simply git gud. The game is near perfection as far as I'm concerned and it's kind of mind blowing to realize that Rondo largely created the enemy designs for the series post-Rondo. I had no idea about that aspect. I love too that Rondo doesn't have save state, at first I was like, "oh shit, i'm screwed" but I made it to level 5 last night with ease for the most part. I'm glad I'm being forced to play it without save scumming, beating it in a legit way would be really impressive for me.

3. Harmony is Dissonance is awesome, it kind of gets trashed as being too easy and having a lousy OST but I dunno, I think the challenge (or lack thereof) is refreshing and I like the NES style OST. It's a fantastic game, truly makes me feel like a rat in a maze, lol. Constantly checking the map. Game is designed in a great way.

At some point I'm sure I'll get burned out on them but I'm trying my best to play through all the 2D games that are available on the consoles I own. I really wish the DS games were ported to modern consoles, they're all great but I'm absolutely dying to revisit Order of Ecclesia, that game is top 5 Castlevania for me, if not top 3.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Drowning a bit at the moment.

Finishing Fenyx
Started plague tale and paused
Apex and modern warfare
Ragnarok which has become primary
Diablo 2
Final part of scorn too

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yeah, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure everything is locked until you've played the first Legend ( = story mode) mission. Same with Age of Calamity, can't access the map (and everything on it) or play multiplayer until you've played the first map.

I fail to see how those games, with the typical Warriors action gameplay, are in any way similar to a tactical RPG like Fire Emblem though.
I'll try that. Thanks for the head's up with !
Age of Calamity too.

Speaking of Fire Emblem, I may post more on that as I have 3 FE games in my backlog.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Played the first two hours of GoW Ragnarok. Really good so far. Took a while to get in the combat after so many hours in Elden Ring, but it's coming back now. Gameplay very familiar from the first one. Absolutely epic introduction, and subsequent fight, of the first boss fight. It was similar to the Baldur fight in the first game, only more balls fo the walls. Shit like that is God of War for me. I wasn't really expecting it either. Can't wait to see what Santa Monica has pulled off regarding the story and the world building.

Dr. Suchong

Syphon filter.
A full on clunk fest.
Gabriel is determined to thwart my every input with gold standard, late 90s, hyper jank.
Some impressive ideas (for the time) but thank god for quick saves and the rewind features.

Been playing Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on the Galaxy Tab A8

I've been using a 8BitDo 8N30 Pro Bluetooth Controller and it works perfectly

I'm about an hour in the game and I got through the first story. Gameplay is fun. Story is interesting. I'm playing on Normal

T0minator

Played the first two hours of GoW Ragnarok. Really good so far. Took a while to get in the combat after so many hours in Elden Ring, but it's coming back now. Gameplay very familiar from the first one. Absolutely epic introduction, and subsequent fight, of the first boss fight. It was similar to the Baldur fight in the first game, only more balls fo the walls. Shit like that is God of War for me. I wasn't really expecting it either. Can't wait to see what Santa Monica has pulled off regarding the story and the world building.
Buckle up...it's one helluva ride

A few games, I like to play different stuff at the same time. For now it's...

Mario+Rabbids Sparks of Hope
God of War Ragnarok
Signalis
Ghost Song
Resident Evil 4 with HD Project mod
...just finished Crystalis on the NES online (Switch)

Ryuji Goda

Mafia II: Definitive Edition on PS4. It's pretty straightforward and the hand-to-hand combat sucks. But I still really enjoy it. Maybe because it's really basic; no sidemissions and other openworld nonsense.

Since finishing RE2make for Halloween I decided to take a nostalgia trip back to the N64 days thanks to NSO expansion pack. Started out with Majora’s Mask, which I haven’t played since trying it as a kid (and hating it). Definitely a lot better than I remembered, but not a top tier Zelda game. Certainly unique though.

And unexpectedly, but I have been absolutely addicted to Panel de Pon and Pokémon Puzzle League. I keep playing those, even more than Majora’s Mask lately.

Fredrik

God of War Ragnarök PS5. 10+ hours in, can’t wait til the kids are in bed so I can play again! The gameplay is familiar but the story-telling and presentation is up at the top of the industry for me, the attention to detail is pretty much unmatched.

Elden Ring, don’t think it’s been out of my weekly play log even once this year. 335 hours so far, playing around with rebirth and different weapon setups at the moment.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Played a lot of Ragnarok in the weekend and while it's mostly awesome I gotta level some criticism. Santa Monica has reused A LOT from the first game, at least now in the beginning and it can be somewhat of a drag. I mean, was it really necessary to bring back the fucking ravens of Odin as a collectible again?

The game also shows its PS4-roots too much imo. Guerilla did a much better job with Forbidden West in hiding its cross gen nature because the game looked absolutely stunning most of the time, some areas was downright next gen in its presentation, with no load times to boot. Ragnarök looks incredibly good also at times, but also looks very much last gen in a lot of areas with crappy textures and long load times (masked with dialogue and gameplay, but it plays out exactly like the first game). That's quite disappointing.

Other than that, the game is great. Combat is so fucking good with some real weight to it when Kratos just curb stomping everything in his way. Love it. And the story is very compelling so far, with a couple of nice surprises revealed.

reinking

Gold Member
I am giving Octopath Traveler one last shot. I start it, get so far, take a break, start again, start over. At this pace I might finish it before it is pulled off Game Pass. On this attempt I am just sticking to the OCTO and PATH teams. Going to complete the first four chapters of team OCTO and go back for the last four for the PATH team. I think that might help me focus a little more.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Started A Plague Tale Requiem and Persona 5 in the last few days (thanks GamePass).

These two games perfectly represent the current extremes of western and Japanese gaming. One is a wannabe movie with excellent production values and trite mechanics, the other is the dictionary definition of logorrhea. Two hours into P5 I’ve had more train rides than fights, and the amount of dialogue is absolutely insane. A good 30% of it could be cut without altering the events whatsoever. Same thing for the 3 hours I spent with Danganronpa V3. Of course this stuff lasts dozens of hours.

Stratostar

I'm just now getting around to playing my Wii U copy of Breath of the Wild from 2017. Game runs acceptably enough all things considered but holy shit is it ugly to look at.
Also been on a bit of a DKC kick lately, playing through hero mode in DKCTF (the water world is HELL) and working towards 100%ing DKCR3D to unlock the bonus world.

MW2. It'll probably be the only game I'll be playing until at least spring. I thought I'd be excited for Dead Space or that other game that is basically just Dead Space, but im just not. The entire landscape has been so disappointing and lackluster that it's hard to get excited for anything upcoming anymore to the point where I just don't bother.

Top Bottom