• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Video Game Remake according to You

What is the best video game remake according to you?

• Black Mesa

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 43 22.3%
  • Shadow of the Colossus

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Yakuza Kiwami

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Mafia

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Ratchet and Clannk 2016

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Metroid: Samus Returns

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Resident Evil Remake

Votes: 40 20.7%

• Total voters

Mister Wolf

Crazy to me you don't even have the best one on the list:

Resident_Evil_2002_cover.jpg

Cryio

A bit surprised Resident Evil 1 Remake isn't even on the list. However, Black Mesa is so beyond everything else, especially if we're accounting for XEN too.

I'd place REmake 1 at Number 2 spot. Demon's Souls at Number 3 spot.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Crazy to me you don't even have the best one on the list:

Resident_Evil_2002_cover.jpg

Yeah. Nothing comes close really.

And it's the earliest of the bunch as well. More than a decade older. Back when remakes weren't yet a common thing.

Edit: I see you added the option so i changed my vote.

Last edited:
Yakuza Kiwami. Tried playing the PS2 game via emulator after playing Kiwami and good God the original was unbelievably clunky. That Kiwami remake is so much better it's not even funny

wvnative

FF4 DS, a lot of your poll options aren't really proper remakes. Ratchet is a total reimagining. Ff7R is...not really a remake but
a sequel

Demon's Souls, RE1 and Link's Awakening are all great.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a great game. But, despite the name, it is a sequel to FF7, not a Remake.

I don't consider Resident Evil 2 a remake either. That's more a re-imagining of RE2. Regardless, that's an awesome game, although too short.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Gold Member
It’s not on the list and is locked behind last gen, but I love Wind Waker HD. It is literally the perfect remake for me. It looks amazing running on native hardware (without any up scaling) and they fixed the fetch quest at the end.
How I hope for a Switch release at some point!

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Have only played REmake2 and Ratchet 2016.

Was dissapointed with Ratchet.
RE2 was such a great experience. Brought back memories. It looks stellar and they nailed the atmosphere.

Will play FFVII, Demons Souls eventually (kinda really hoping it comes to PC, sorry to port beg)

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
How so? It's the exact same game with just updated visuals, it doesn't have any gameplay changes, let alone radical ones like in FF7 or RE1/2 for example.
Remastered usually means upscaled in resolution whereas this was remade. Not sure if remakes always need to inherent gameplay changes.

nkarafo

How so? It's the exact same game with just updated visuals, it doesn't have any gameplay changes, let alone radical ones like in FF7 or RE1/2 for example.
A remaster is a port of the original code with added stuff like higher resolution/textures and sometimes extra additions like shadows, SSAO, better controls, etc. See the games by Nightdive Studios. These are all remasters.

Demon's Souls is not the same game as the original. Just about everything have been build from the start. It's a new game/code that tries to mimic the original but doesn't share most or any of it's code. That's a remake.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Remastered usually means upscaled in resolution whereas this was remade. Not sure if remakes always need to inherent gameplay changes.

A remaster is a port of the original code with added stuff like higher resolution/textures and sometimes extra additions like shadows, SSAO, better controls, etc. See the games by Nightdive Studios. These are all remasters.

Demon's Souls is not the same game as the original. Just about everything have been build from the start. It's a new game/code that tries to mimic the original but doesn't share most or any of it's code. That's a remake.

The lazy ones, yes. But if the game is fundamentally the same with nothing but updated assets, then it's still a remaster, as per the name - it has been remastered, but not changed, and vice versa - remake means a game has been remade from scratch, changed, with new gameplay mechanics, different new camera perspective, with cut-out/changed sections. For example, CoD4 Remastered is, duh, a remaster, despite running on a new engine with all new assets, new sounds, new everything, it's exactly like DS - old game with a new coating, nothing more. Same goes for games like Starcraft, Diablo 2, C&C, AoE etc. old games with new graphics. Don;t get yourself fooled guys and stop supporting those lazy resolution/FPS uplifts some devs call remasters.

Con-Z-epT

The lazy ones, yes. But if the game is fundamentally the same with nothing but updated assets, then it's still a remaster, as per the name - it has been remastered, but not changed, and vice versa - remake means a game has been remade from scratch, changed, with new gameplay mechanics, different new camera perspective, with cut-out/changed sections. For example, CoD4 Remastered is, duh, a remaster, despite running on a new engine with all new assets, new sounds, new everything, it's exactly like DS - old game with a new coating, nothing more. Same goes for games like Starcraft, Diablo 2, C&C, AoE etc. old games with new graphics. Don;t get yourself fooled guys and stop supporting those lazy resolution/FPS uplifts some devs call remasters.
A remaster never changes the look and sound. It just upscales the resolution or clarity of the sound. Demon's Souls Remake was remade completely from the ground up. They even added new animations. Just because they are running the old code underneath it (which also has been altered), it's automatically a remastered game.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
A remaster never changes the look and sound. It just upscale the resolution or clarity of the sound. Demon's Souls Remake was remade completely from the ground up. They even added new animations. Just because they are running the old code underneath it (which also has been altered), it's automatically a remastered game.

Then what about the examples of remasters I mentioned? It's OK to be a console-only games that's being charger for a resolution change, but c'mon... Yeah, a simple resolution bump used to be a thing back when PS4/XB1 gen started, but luckily since then we saw many examples of properly remastered games (as well as ones that are a joke to their fanbase, like WC3).

Con-Z-epT

Then what about the examples of remasters I mentioned? It's OK to be a console-only games that's being charger for a resolution change, but c'mon... Yeah, a simple resolution bump used to be a thing back when PS4/XB1 gen started, but luckily since then we saw many examples of properly remastered games (as well as ones that are a joke to their fanbase, like WC3).
There was a debate here not to long ago about the exact same topic. Hard to draw a line nowadays. I will believe the label that was given by Bluepoint Games and Sony.

Banned

a remaster is a game that uses the original code (with slight adjustments) and layers a new coat of paint on top of it. that description fits Demon's Souls, Halo 1/2 Anniversary, Perfect Dark (360) or something like the leaked GoldenEye XBLA port

all of these remasters use the original code and enhance the game with modernized graphics while keeping the underlying code almost the same outside of a few QOL improvements.

the game changes added to Perfect Dark are bigger than the changes done to Demon's Souls for example. but in principle they work very similarly. they usually run the original engine and then use a modern engine as a graphics layer ontop of it. that is how Halo Anniversary and the leaked GoldenEye can switch back and forth between the old and new graphics. with the push of a button.

A remaster never changes the look and sound. It just upscales the resolution or clarity of the sound. Demon's Souls Remake was remade completely from the ground up. They even added new animations. Just because they are running the old code underneath it (which also has been altered), it's automatically a remastered game.

if we go by that definition then Perfect Dark on 360 would be a remake, which it isn't, same with Halo Anniversary which also isn't a remake. or Wind Waker HD also no remake but if we go by the definition you use here it would be one. in Fact Wind Waker HD has so many changes to gameplay as well that it would be more of a remake than Demon's Souls, yet it isn't a remake because it uses the original code and simply was adjusted for the new console.

meanwhile a remake is a game that has been almost redone from the ground up, using either none or very little of the original code often running in a completely new engine or vastly improved engine. see Resident Evil Remake

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Believe it or not, even though there were RE options, I said FF7.

At the risk of triggering people. OG FF7 was always overrated. It's a great game but it's just FF6 with worse graphics and a convoluted story.

FF7 remake is downright stunning. Doesn't mean that the OG FF7 isn't worth playing, it'll always be a classic but I was floored with what Square did and prefer it over the original.

Top Bottom