• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Video Game Remake according to You

What is the best video game remake according to you?

• Black Mesa

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 43 22.3%
  • Shadow of the Colossus

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Yakuza Kiwami

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Mafia

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Ratchet and Clannk 2016

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Metroid: Samus Returns

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Resident Evil Remake

Votes: 40 20.7%

• Total voters

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haven't played the RE remakes (except for the original remake on GameCube), so I'm gonna have to go with Demon's Souls. It made a beloved but dated classic feel like a brand new game. Just excellent work.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Voted for Resident Evil, but I want to name another forgotten entry:

Goldeneye (Wii). It was a re-imaginging partly of the original game (swapping out Brosnan for Craig, returning to the source novel's plot more than the film, etc), but did a remarkable job at rethinking the levels in a fresh way so that it felt like a genuine surprise rather than retread, while also keeping a classic, hard mode without any of that regenerating health nonsense. It was a triumph, IMO, a rare triumph in the "reimaginging" genre.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Isn't DS a remaster, not a remake?

a remaster is a game that uses the original code (with slight adjustments) and layers a new coat of paint on top of it. that description fits Demon's Souls, Halo 1/2 Anniversary, Perfect Dark (360) or something like the leaked GoldenEye XBLA port

Demon's Souls was remade from the ground up. Yes, they started with getting the original code running to have something to go on, but then they changed pretty much everything in the entire game. It's NOT just the same game with new models and textures. There are gameplay changes, level design changes, changes everywhere. Look it up.

Sure, it stays more true to the original than some other games in the list, but it's far more of a remake than a remaster. A remaster is typically little more than the exact same game running at a higher resolution and/or framerate (like how a music remaster is the same original recording reissued with improved fidelity), with maybe some upscaled textures and such. That's not what DeS is at all. A remake doesn't have to be a full reimagining to be a remake.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Resident Evil (2002).
Unlike REmake 2, it actually made the original game obsolete.
And the fact that it's not on top is further proof that gamers are their own worst enemy.
chris crocker crying GIF

Banned
Demon's Souls was remade from the ground up. Yes, they started with getting the original code running to have something to go on, but then they changed pretty much everything in the entire game. It's NOT just the same game with new models and textures. There are gameplay changes, level design changes, changes everywhere. Look it up.

Sure, it stays more true to the original than some other games in the list, but it's far more of a remake than a remaster. A remaster is typically little more than the exact same game running at a higher resolution and/or framerate (like how a music remaster is the same original recording reissued at higher quality), with maybe some upscaled textures and such. That's not what DeS is at all. A remake doesn't have to be a full reimagining to be a remake.

pretty sure the Demon's Souls remaster is made the same way as their Shadow of the Colossus remaster, where they use the same engine for the graphics as in Demon's Souls but run the original code/engine below that graphics layer to actually drive the game logic.

so the same concept as Halo Anniversary.

also other games like Wind Waker have gameplay changes that sometimes drastically change the playability but still use the same base in the grand scheme

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Isn't it running the old code with some minor changes with the presentation layer using more modern tech?

It's not just running the old code with a visual "layer" on top, no. It's based on the original code, since they wanted stuff like enemy AI to be as in the original, but there are A LOT more changes than just improved graphics.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
pretty sure the Demon's Souls remaster is made the same way as their Shadow of the Colossus remaster, where they use the same engine for the graphics as in Demon's Souls but run the original code/engine below that graphics layer to actually drive the game logic.

so the same concept as Halo Anniversary.

also other games like Wind Waker have gameplay changes that sometimes drastically change the playability but still use the same base in the grand scheme

That's not really the case, no. It's not at all like the Halo remasters. Those are literally the same game with a "layer" of new graphics running on top (which makes switching between the new and old graphics possible), DeS has far more changes than that. It's not running the original engine underneath, it's just based on the original code.

that same is true for Wind Waker, is that a remake now? never heard anyone call it that.

WW is also much, much closer to the original than DeS.

Have you actually played the DeS Remake? Judging by these comparisons you're making, it seems like you probably haven't.

Last edited:
"Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories". The fact that Rockstar forgot about this game is good enough for me, because it means that they can't ruin it with their latest approach to remastering their games, on top of that I don't think that this game needs to be remastered, the native PS2 version is still solid and if you want to play it on PC you have PPSSPP as well as RetroArch, but I would recommend using PPSSPP because RetroArch gives you an inferior experience for some reasons.

Last edited:

Banned
That's not really the case, no. It's not at all like the Halo remasters. Those are literally the same game with a "layer" of new graphics running on top (which makes switching between the new and old graphics possible), DeS has far more changes than that.

I don't believe that to be the case. yes they changed stuff around, but I am pretty sure that is still what is happening. I am pretty sure they run the original engine that of course has been modified slighlty with some changes made to the gameplay, and then they use their graphics engine to display the graphics on top of that, just like they did in Colossus

yes they could not just make it switch back and forth but that's not because that's not what they are doing but more because that would be way too much to keep in RAM for one and also because they changed stuff and some things would not line up properly (which is also true for Halo btw. there are many things that don't line up properly and should be fixed honestly but isn't as of yet)

almost every remaster changes some aspects of the gameplay. Wind Waker changes a shitton of things, Perfect Dark changed minor things, Halo changes almost nothing, GTA changed stuff for the worse lol

Last edited:

xPikYx

Resident Evil 1 remake is the absolute best, it improves every single aspect of the original above and beyond, and considering it was released only a generation later the original and 20years ago now, it makes this the absolute best remake ever made.

At second place I would say Resident Evil 2 remake, a really good remake but too many changes make it a game on its own, so at the end of it, it is just the story reimagined, but it's been done greatly and so deserves the 2nd place.

3rd Place for Mafia remake. This is fuckin good, and I would've not expected this, it surprised me a lot, I'm not even sure it deserves the 3rd place rather than the 2nd, probably only because I love RE2 more than Mafia, but as a Remake this Mafia has been done greatly above expectations, and as well as REmake, makes the original obsolete

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't believe that to be the case. yes they changed stuff around, but I am pretty sure that is still what is happening. I am pretty sure they run the original engine that of course has been modified slighlty with some changes made to the gameplay, and then they use their graphics engine to display the graphics on top of that, just like they did in Colossus

yes they could not just make it switch back and forth but that's not because that's not what they are doing but more because that would be way too much to keep in RAM for one and also because they changed stuff and some things would not line up properly (which is also true for Halo btw. there are many things that don't line up properly and should be fixed honestly but isn't as of yet)

almost every remaster changes some aspects of the gameplay. Wind Waker changes a shitton of things, Perfect Dark changed minor things, Halo changes almost nothing, GTA changed stuff for the worse lol

I don't believe you're quite right in putting these games on the same remaster/remake "level" based on the making of stuff I've watched about DeS, but even if that WAS the case, what exactly is a remake to you? Does it have to be a complete reimagining to count? Then a lot of so-called remakes aren't actually remakes. To me, WW is clearly a remaster while DeS is clearly a remake. They've remade pretty much everything in the game except for the base gameplay logic and AI. There are even level design changes to make the gameplay work better, etc. You just can't call that a "remaster".

But I suppose this is a spectrum, not a binary either/or thing. There are games that are COMPLETELY remade from scratch, reusing nothing at all from the original, all the way to simple remasters that are nothing more than a resolution and framerate bump. DeS sits in-between those extremes (but closer to the remake end than Halo and WW).

Last edited:

Banned
I don't believe you're quite right in putting these games on the same remaster/remake "level" based on the making of stuff I've watched about DeS, but even if that WAS the case, what exactly is a remake to you? Does it have to be a complete reimagining to count? Then a lot of so-called remakes aren't actually remakes. To me, WW is clearly a remaster while DeS is clearly a remake. They've remade pretty much everything in the game except for the base gameplay logic and AI. There are even level design changes to make the gameplay work better, etc. You just can't call that a "remaster".

so is Perfect Dark a remake to you? to me it isn't.

maybe we should establish a new category and call it a "graphics remake" or something?
because you have to also agree surely that Demon's Souls is not on the same level of remake as Resident Evil 2 right?

also Wind Waker changes gameplay and leveldesign as well as some quests. arguably the gameplay changes between Wind Waker and Wind Waker HD are greater than the changes done to Demon's Souls

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
REmake.

I'm probably more looking forward to the entirety of the FFVII REmake, but judging all factors, REmake wins. It's a complete package, it's beautiful, keeps the general gameplay and layout of the original while remixing and adding new elements to make it fresh, but it always maintains enough of it's DNA to undeniably be the first RE game. It treads that line of "it's bad because it's too similar to the original," and "it's bad because it's too different," and tows the middle line of perfection.

rofif

Banned
Difficult poll. ff7r, REmake2, sotc, Demons Souls, yakuza.
Who the hell voted for Mafia ?! they ruined Tomy and made him a 2bit gangster. The music is terrible, shooting is bad. It's a fine game but either I posted above is better. The poll asks for BEST remake, not your fav.

I voted RE2 because it actually improves and it's not just a graphics upgrade. FF7 would've taken it otherwise but it's not complete

skit_data

On the topic of Remake or Remaster I think it’s a pretty easy distinction;

If assets, models, sounds etc are made from the ground up it’s a remake.
Like they are in Demon’s Souls.

It’s like a Remaster of an album, it’s not using a re recording of samples. It’s simply tweaking and treating fx buses and master bus. Not re-recording individual tracks.

Last edited:

FrankWza

On the topic of Remake or Remaster I think it’s a pretty easy distinction;

If assets, models, sounds etc are made from the ground up it’s a remake.
Like they are in Demon’s Souls.

It’s like a Remaster of an album, it’s not using a re recording of samples. It’s simply tweaking. Not re-recording.
It was an old game, so to see it get remade in this way and have new players playing it was obviously something that made me very happy.

It was a rough game back in the day, with a relatively rough development, so I was anxious that new players would not enjoy it in that same way. That was a cause of concern for me when it was re-released but, you know, in the end, I’m just happy to see the reaction and happy to see people enjoying it.

One thing that was really fun was seeing [Bluepoint Games] come up with things we didn’t consider and to approach certain elements of the game its visuals and its mechanics in a way that we either couldn’t or didn’t back in the day. So to see them researching and applying these new thought processes and new techniques, this was something that was really exciting and interesting for me.

Hidetaka Miyazaki

Resident Evil Remake set the standard for me. It remained faithful to the foundation of the original while introducing new ideas and surprises that made it feel like a fresh experience.

I loved the Resident Evil 2 Remake but it didn't balance the old with the new in the same way REmake did.

Banned
unpopular opinion maybe... but this is one of my least favorite remakes here:

it botched the core controls to a point where it just feels worse, and IMO some of the sprites just look ugly

Port, lol. You people haven't even seen this game I guess.
Demon's Souls, nope, what's that? Never seen or heard of it... Is Soul Calibur on Dreamcast a remake? It has updated visuals, extra modes etc. No, it's an enhanced port. Halo Anniversary? Nope. 10 out of 11 projects Bluepoint worked on are ports, enhanced or not. Blast Factor is the first and only game they developed. I'm not knocking Bluepoint but I'm simply correcting the false narrative that they suddenly began remaking games. They don't. They port.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Port, lol. You people haven't even seen this game I guess.
I played them both and kind of see were they coming from, there is more changes in NieR Replicant 1.22 which is considered "upgrade" rather than Remake. They improved the combat, new visuals, they put new Mermaid story in then game and complete new route that you play as Kaine with new ending.

Banned
I played them both and kind of see were they coming from, there is more changes in NieR Replicant 1.22 which is considered "upgrade" rather than Remake. They improved the combat, new visuals, they put new Mermaid story in then game and complete new route that you play as Kaine with new ending.

yeah, port/remaster/remake can be very vague terms in the gaming industry.

for example, is Donkey Kong Country on GBA a remake, a port or a remaster? you could argue for all of them honestly. and the further we go back in time the worse it gets honestly. like what is the SNES version of Mortal Kombat 3? these games have often been completely reprogrammed from the ground up for each and every system they released on due to the vastly different hardware all of them used, each with completely different ways to draw graphics and playback/produce audio

Last edited:
REmake still has the crown IMO. It wasn't just a complete graphical overhaul, but just about everything was updated and improved upon without feeling out of place

Top Bottom