• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Video Game Remake according to You

What is the best video game remake according to you?

• Black Mesa

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 43 22.3%
  • Shadow of the Colossus

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Yakuza Kiwami

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Mafia

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Ratchet and Clannk 2016

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Metroid: Samus Returns

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • Resident Evil Remake

Votes: 40 20.7%

• Total voters

tommib

Gold Member
People calling Demon’s Souls a remaster are insane. You don’t rework the full sound design and sound effects from scratch or hire a 100 musician orchestra to play a new soundtrack for a remaster. You don’t redo mocap for a remaster. You don’t rework every single art asset for a remaster. You don’t rerecord every single dialogue line for a remaster. You are all insane.

Banned
People calling Demon’s Souls a remaster are insane. You don’t rework the full sound design and sound effects from scratch or hire a 100 musician orchestra to play a new soundtrack for a remaster. You don’t redo mocap for a remaster. You don’t rework every single art asset for a remaster. You don’t rerecord every single dialogue line for a remaster. You are all insane.

so Halo 2 Anniversary is a remake? because it did all that too :)
spoiler: no it isn't

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
so Halo 2 Anniversary is a remake? because it did all that too :)
spoiler: no it isn't
Spider Man Lol GIF

Banned

great argument as always on this forum. Halo 2 Anniversary is not a remake, and did literally all of that as well... they literally let a film studio remake all of the cutscenes in Hollywood quality for example. all the music is rerecorded, all the graphics remade...

yet it is a remaster. it still runs the original code for the logic beneath all that. and Demon's Souls does EXACTLY the same thing
og engine running the logic, new engine running the graphics

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Halo 2 anniversary, switching between graphics on the fly is a god tier feature that no other game has done
Halo 2 is my choice as well, but it is the multiplayer that does it for me. I am not big on traditional campaigns to be honest

Even with the more limited map selection, it is very hard to go back to the original Halo 2 in comparison. The small changes to the original maps, like Lockout and Sanctuary, improve how matches play on these already amazing maps. The gunplay is perfect, and most of the updated sound effects are fantastic. I don't why people play Halo 3 predominatly over Halo 2A.

I would vote re2 if it was completed. Scenario B is just a item shuffle mode and nothing more. REmake completely replaces Re1. But RE 2 original is still better than RE2 remake in many aspects.

rofif

Banned

Exactly. They might have not RE-MADE the story or gameplay structure but sure as hell they RE -MAAADEEEE all the assets. And that's all of it. All sounds, music, models, textures, animations. art style.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Has to be between RE2 and WindwakerHD.

I’ve never heard people espouse RE GC as a great remake. What makes it so special??

I played the last gen versions and thought it was ok but not so vastly different??

EDMIX

The results make complete sense.

RE2002 is the standard for remakes, that is the fucking blueprint for all remakes....

until RE2 remake, changes more and more drastic and adds some great elements to bring it up to speed with current ideas.

I love FFVII Remake, but I get why it would be low on this list, its not done, its in parts, we'll have to wait till its complete to really see how it stacks up tbh.

Demon Souls is also not a shock to be so far up. Bluepoint games is becoming a beast with that concept.

Ultimately I voted for Resident Evil 2, with Yakuza Kiwami coming in dangerously close.

The Resident Evil 1 remake is a fantastic achievement that should be celebrated, and it's one of my favorite video games of all time. In my all time top 10, actually. But it's got a couple of flaws that make it so that I can't vote for it over RE2 in good conscience in 2022:

(1) GAMEPLAY (you now, uhhh... the most important thing in a video game?) feels clunky and outdated. The characters move awkwardly and aiming straight up sucks for modern standards. I can't describe it too well, but to me the gameplay -- running and aiming -- is arguably worse in REmake than it is even in the original PlayStation trilogy games.
(2) with the more serious tone, a lot of the campy charm of the original was lost. Barry, arguably the best character in the original (in some cases for all the wrong reasons, ha!) took a big hit, and he's nowhere near as charming in REmake.

Also, the people that say that REmake makes the original RE1 obsolete... Glad they're exposing themselves, because they have absolutely no clue what they're talking about 😂

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Tough choice between REmake, REmake 2 and Samus Returns... I'll go with REmake because of some direction fails for the other two, but was like nitpicking

But I have to ask: why the hell Shadow of the Colossus? Everyone know that it really is a remaster

Yakuza Kiwami deserves a mention, as I had a hard time voting between it and RE2.

It's a fantastic remake. It kept a lot of the original in an almost frame-by-frame basis while adding all the Nishiki narrative that makes Nishiki one of the best characters in the series. It updated the graphics and framerate to be really good. On top of that, the GAMEPLAY is... Well in my opinion Yakuza beat 'em up combat peaked with Kiwami, by a wide margin. And yes, that includes the dragon engine games (6, Kiwami 2, etc), as I think a lot was lost from combat in those new games.

(The reason why Kiwami is better than 0 in that regard is because in Kiwami, switching to the 4th style is streamlined, as opposed to 0 where you have to do this awkward thing of going into the pause menu to switch in and out of the 4th style, which greatly reduces combo and flow potential).

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
great argument as always on this forum. Halo 2 Anniversary is not a remake, and did literally all of that as well... they literally let a film studio remake all of the cutscenes in Hollywood quality for example. all the music is rerecorded, all the graphics remade...

yet it is a remaster. it still runs the original code for the logic beneath all that. and Demon's Souls does EXACTLY the same thing
og engine running the logic, new engine running the graphics
It is not all black and white with all the efforts that developers put into remastering or remaking games nowadays.The lines clearly have been blurred over the past years to what one or the other could mean.

You're way too insistent on defining a specific terminologie to put everything into a specific drawer.

Bluepoint Games itself labeled the game as a remake. But what do they know?

brian0057

Banned
Exactly. They might have not RE-MADE the story or gameplay structure but sure as hell they RE -MAAADEEEE all the assets. And that's all of it. All sounds, music, models, textures, animations. art style.
No, it's not. It's the same game.
It doesn't matter if it's running on a new engine with new code, the game is still the same.
Calling it a remake just because it looks prettier is nonsense.

Resident Evil (2002) is an actual remake. The gameplay was changed and improved, entire sections of the level where altered and a few new areas added, brand new voice actors and soundtrack, and new enemies. It even has content that was cut from the original game.
That's a remake (and the benchmark, by the way), not the glorified paint job of Demon's Souls.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
It doesn't matter if it's running on a new engine with new code, the game is still the same.

Resident Evil (2002) is an actual remake. The gameplay was changed and improved, entire sections of the level where altered and a few new areas added.
It even has content that was cut from the original game. That's a remake, not the glorified paint job of Demon's Souls.
What about movies? you see the same movie done every few years.
Old and New Robocop... it's not a remaster but the story is the same!

Imo it's in the name:
RE MASTER assets (higher resolution)
RE MAKE (create new assets).

Resident evil 2 story also did not changed. locations also.

FrankWza

It is not all black and white with all the efforts that developers put into remastering or remaking games nowadays.The lines clearly have been blurred over the past years to what one or the other could mean.

You're way too insistent on defining a specific terminologie to put everything into a specific drawer.

Bluepoint Games itself labeled the game as a remake. But what do they know?

Resident Evil (2002) is an actual remake. The gameplay was changed and improved, entire sections of the level where altered and a few new areas added, brand new voice actors and soundtrack, and new enemies. It even has content that was cut from the original game.
That's a remake (and the benchmark, by the way), not the glorified paint job of Demon's Souls.

“but I am very glad to see it get this fresh look, these brand-new current-gen graphics.

It was an old game, so to see it get remade in this way and have new players playing it was obviously something that made me very happy.

It was a rough game back in the day, with a relatively rough development, so I was anxious that new players would not enjoy it in that same way. That was a cause of concern for me when it was re-released but, you know, in the end, I’m just happy to see the reaction and happy to see people enjoying it.

One thing that was really fun was seeing [Bluepoint Games] come up with things we didn’t consider and to approach certain elements of the game its visuals and its mechanics in a way that we either couldn’t or didn’t back in the day. So to see them researching and applying these new thought processes and new techniques, this was something that was really exciting and interesting for me.”

-Hidetaka Miyazaki

NahaNago

Imo it's in the name:

Re masters and re makes meaning have changed over time imo. I'm pretty sure that remasters used to include asset changes back in the day but changing or creating new assets is much more complex these days so folks calling it remake makes sense.

brian0057

Banned

Imo it's in the name:

No, remaster isn't just "high res". It's to keep the original experience intact or with as little change as possible but make it look better and sound nicer.
A remake, on the other hand, isn't bound by the original experience. Even changing genres completely is not off the table.

Demon's Souls is the same game. It may have new code, cleaner graphics, and a nicer sounding score, but the experience is the same as the original game. Nothing new was added and nothing was removed.

Resident Evil 2 (2019) completely changed the gameplay, altered the levels quite a bit, it had new music, new voice actors, it removed some elements of the original game while adding some new things. Because the changes were so drastic, it doesn't replace the original game like REmake did.

TL;DR - Demon's Souls is remaster, not a remake.

“but I am very glad to see it get this fresh look, these brand-new current-gen graphics.

It was an old game, so to see it get remade in this way and have new players playing it was obviously something that made me very happy.

It was a rough game back in the day, with a relatively rough development, so I was anxious that new players would not enjoy it in that same way. That was a cause of concern for me when it was re-released but, you know, in the end, I’m just happy to see the reaction and happy to see people enjoying it.

One thing that was really fun was seeing [Bluepoint Games] come up with things we didn’t consider and to approach certain elements of the game its visuals and its mechanics in a way that we either couldn’t or didn’t back in the day. So to see them researching and applying these new thought processes and new techniques, this was something that was really exciting and interesting for me.”

-Hidetaka Miyazaki

I don't give a shit what Miyazaki says.
It's a remaster.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
No, remaster isn't just "high res". It's to keep the original experience intact or with as little change as possible but make it look better and sound nicer.
A remake, on the other hand, isn't bound by the original experience. Even changing genres completely is not off the table.

Demon's Souls is the same game. It may have new code, cleaner graphics, and a nicer sounding score, but the experience is the same as the original game. Nothing new was added and nothing was removed.

Resident Evil 2 (2019) completely changed the gameplay, altered the levels quite a bit, it had new music, new voice actors, it removed some elements of the original game while adding some new things. Because the changes were so drastic, it doesn't replace the original game like REmake did.

TL;DR - Demon's Souls is remaster, not a remake.
Demons Souls is difficult. There are new armor sets, new items descriptions, new secret area, new music... and all new art style.
It is for sure not original game intact experience.

I love RE2 Remake, but it's no replacement for the original, the original is absolutely worth playing.

Things like lack of music, streets of Racoon city being kind of bland and brief, no giant spiders, no cutscenes introducing Mr X or the lickers are ways in which it's inferior to the original.

Not true, but I respect your opinion all the same.
And I respect yours, I unironically love the infamous live action intro, but trying to play the game to completion I just find myself wishing I was playing REmake, maybe one day though.

Halo 2: Anniversary

236328.jpg
This one is up there, I never cared for Halo 2 too much until I played Anniversary, I know it sounds shallow but the graphics and cutscenes being 1000 times better genuinely make it a better game.

Of course it's also a matter of art direction and not just technology, Halo 1 Anniversary is not superior to the original because of changes in art direction even though the graphics are technically better, but they really knocked it out of the park with 2 Anniversary.

TexMex

As I sit here today, RE2. Blew away sky high expectations. Stunning game.

REmake is right there with it. Especially considering the time. I don’t know how they did that with a GameCube. It was honestly the best looking game I’d ever seen at the time.

Demons Souls honorable mention. Gorgeous.

P.Jack

Bionic Commando Rearmed is my personal favourite. It added exactly the right things, had a fantastic remixed sountrack and managed to keep the atmosphere of the original with updated graphics. The gameplay that made the NES game so great was kept intact to such a degree that hopping between the two is seamless. And as a bonus, it had one of the best 4-player party modes of all time. A true love letter to the original game, it’s the perfect remake.

Top Bottom