• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is The Dumbest Episode Of Star Trek TNG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yarbskoo

Y7UoPFH.jpg

Yeah, and Deep Space Nine had one or two "Let's torture O'Brien" episodes every season.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like Masks. Masaka is waking.

I also love Fistful of Datas. I genuinely do. I don't even care. Then again I think BTTF III is the most fun one and I don't even really like westerns generally.

Let's not forget that it's programmed into the commanding officer certification simulation test that you have to sacrifice Geordi in order to pass.

Forgot about that one.

Though I couldn't understand why Troi seemed so distressed with the notion of sending a holographic representation of her friend to his death.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Because it's great scifi worth revisiting over and over? Oh wait:

identitycrisis215.jpg

threshold_469.jpg

extinction_216.jpg

Well, one of them was watchable.

When I first watched it as a kid, I found Identity Crisis to just be really eerie. For some reason the scene where Geordi recreates the phantom shadow on the holodeck was especially creepy to me.

BobLoblaw

Banned
When I first watched it as a kid, I found Identity Crisis to just be really eerie. For some reason the scene where Geordi recreates the phantom shadow on the holodeck was especially creepy to me.
That creeped me the hell out when I was younger too. Really good episode overall though. Quite suspenseful.

Aikidoka

WTF?!

I don't remember any episode where that happened.

Which episode are you referring to?

It's one of the first ones where some gas or something drugs all the humans and makes them really horny. Data is the only one not affected and has sex with Lt. Yar, who's clearly out of her mind. The whole thing is just done for laughs.

jb1234

Another great creepy moment on the holodeck is in "Schisms", when a group of people recreate an alien hideout that they've been transported to while they sleep (and then get experimented on).

tuffy

It's one of the first ones where some gas or something drugs all the humans and makes them really horny. Data is the only one not affected and has sex with Lt. Yar, who's clearly out of her mind. The whole thing is just done for laughs.
Data was affected by the contagion - even though he's an android - because it was very early in the show and just what he was and wasn't affected by wasn't really established yet. It's the sort of thing that wouldn't have happened to Data later in the show.

Aikidoka

Data was affected by the contagion - even though he's an android - because it was very early in the show and just what he was and wasn't affected by wasn't really established yet. It's the sort of thing that wouldn't have happened to Data later in the show.

He was only infected after he had sex with Lt. Yar, though. Regardless, the whole scene is pretty poor.

Jackpot

Banned

You're remembering it wrong. Data is clearly infected prior to it and it's Yar who literally takes him by the hand and guides him to bed.

Aikidoka

He's infected when she rubs him before the sex. The 'you just got infected with horniness' sound queue plays then.

ok. Seems a little inconsistent and difficult to believe that he went from normal to intoxicated in only a couple of seconds. Inconsistent considering the amount of time spent on showing the developing symptoms of other crew members. But, i suppose it's whatever.

jb1234

ok. Seems a little inconsistent and difficult to believe that he went from normal to intoxicated in only a couple of seconds. Inconsistent considering the amount of time spent on showing the developing symptoms of other crew members. But, i suppose it's whatever.

Consistency isn't something you're going to find in early TNG. Being an android, he shouldn't have been infected in the first place.

shaowebb

Yeah Lower Decks is a perfectly fine episode

awe hell naw! The Royale is great.

StarTrek-Data-TheRoyale-TNG-dice-1338763915I.gif

This man gets it.

I nominate ANY EPISODE where Worf is playing daddy and oh no he's too stern to gets them kids. Like whatever the fuck that season 4 episode was with him, Alexander, the holodeck, Troi's mom and the mudbath, or the god awful western one whose only saving grace was Data being ridiculous in every role.

Quixzlizx

Well, O'Brien gets promoted to main character, goes off to DS9 and then has his wife get possessed by aliens, his daughter lost in time and turned feral, tortured as a Maquis spy, surreptitiously cloned to perform an assassination, and then he spends the equivalent of decades in prison in the span of a day or two, real-time.

Even while watching DS9 for the first time, it was obvious how much the writers were shitting on O'Brien.

To hark back to page one, it's Code of Honor. Not just for the racism, which is stupendously embarassing given that no episode of Trek made ino the sixties came remotely close to the shocking racism in that episode. Not just oder that but for it also seeming to hit every BAD TNG cliche when the show was barely getting started.

I joke about TNG featuring huge amounts of talking before they do anything, but they literally wait more than a day before making an attempt to rescue Tasha so as not to upset the customs of the people who kidnapped her.

Kirk would have been down there and had her back within an hour.

Plus the racism massively clouds the sexism which would be more than problematic all by itself.

It's got everything weak about TNG plus racism and sexism.

benjipwns

Banned
It can't possibly be anything other than Sub Rosa with Crusher's ghost boyfriend.
Sub Rosa, the one where Crusher has an on screen orgasm.

The one in the OP is a good pick though.
The episode with the aristocratic sex ghost is classic.

Bev-uh-laaay!!
Sub Rosa is just weird. Not good Star Trek weird, just weird.
"I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter in my grandmother's journal." is a real BAIL OUT moment.
counterpoints:
René Echevarria recalled, "I can still reduce Brannon to shudders when I go into his office and say, 'I can travel on the power transfer beam'. But the cast loved it. Every woman on the lot who read it was coming up to Brannon and patting him. Ultimately I think it was worth doing because it was campy fun and the production values were wonderful. The sets look great and everybody threw themselves into it. Gates did a wonderful job. It just got bigger and broader and to the point of grandmother leaping out of the grave. Just having Beverly basically writhing around having an orgasm at 6 o'clock on family TV was great. For that alone it was worth doing. We got away with murder."
Braga noted the show was not popular among who he dubbed "hard-core fans". "I've come to notice that whenever you infuse a show with sexual themes, some of these fans seem to short-circuit. I mean, the weather array malfunction causing thunderstorms – it was fun!"
Taylor remarked, "The lovemaking without a partner – this is not easy stuff to do and she committed herself to it completely."
Braga commented, "It was the best performance I've ever seen. I just thought she did a wonderful job. Picard catches Beverly masturbating for crying out loud! What a tough role to play. When I was writing the words, 'She writhes around in the bed having invisible sex,' I just thought, 'Oh man, we're asking for trouble. Are they gonna be able to pull this off?' Thanks to [director] Jonathan Frakes and Gates, it was not hokey. It was very good. Look, I scripted the first orgasm in "The Game". This was mild by comparison. Sure it was racy. Even Rick Berman had said, 'I can't believe we're doing this.' I think they trimmed quite a bit out of the writhing sequences."

counter-counterpoint:
At an Austin, Texas convention in 2012, Gates McFadden stated she wasn't very fond of this episode. "I was basically in love with a lamp! This woman is a doctor and falls in love with a lamp! How the hell does that work?"

benjipwns

Banned
Probably been mentioned but apparently "Code of Honor" wasn't supposed to have an all-black cast for the planet, but the director did it. IIRC, he was not welcomed back to direct any further episodes.

Probably been mentioned but apparently "Code of Honor" wasn't supposed to have an all-black cast for the planet, but the director did it. IIRC, he was not welcomed back to direct any further episodes.
I forget whether it was Geordi or Worf, but one of them isn't in the episode because they noped the fuck out of it. And good for them.

Well, O'Brien gets promoted to main character, goes off to DS9 and then has his wife get possessed by aliens, his daughter lost in time and turned feral, tortured as a Maquis spy, surreptitiously cloned to perform an assassination, and then he spends the equivalent of decades in prison in the span of a day or two, real-time.

That's not including the episode where he's jumping through time, eventually dies from it, and has his future self replace him.

I forget whether it was Geordi or Worf, but one of them isn't in the episode because they noped the fuck out of it. And good for them.

I just watched the episode tonight as I've started my BluRay run through the series.

It was Worf who isn't in the episode except for his voice appearing at one point to say the away team has returned to the ship, which felt like an ADR line from a different episode.

Plus the racism massively clouds the sexism which would be more than problematic all by itself.
This reminds me: Code of Honor was written by one Katharyn Powers, who is also responsible for somewhat similar stinker SG-1 season 1 episode Emancipation, where... Carter is kidnapped by a people who have no respect for women and ends up in a fight to the death.

The finale of Voyager was a slap in the face to fans of the show, but this was a kick in the balls. Just awful.

I watched the first season or two of Enterprise, but fell off. I know the creatives at one point said they didn't know why the show was doing poorly, so they were going to make it darker. Like that's a magic fix. But what was so bad about the finale?

I watched the first season or two of Enterprise, but fell off. I know the creatives at one point said they didn't know why the show was doing poorly, so they were going to make it darker. Like that's a magic fix. But what was so bad about the finale?

Enterprise season 3 and 4 were actually well structured and had a lot of new talent that gave a future direction for the show... Then the original show runners shit all over the new staff and created a final episode that neutered any send off for enterprise and made them a back drop for TNG.

JoeM86

It was set in the Holodeck on the Enterprise D with Riker watching their final mission to decide whether or not to tell Picard about Pressman's Cloaking experiments

So it was not only a terrible episode of Enterprise, but it also shat on a few plot beats of the TNG episode Pegasus

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The finale of Voyager was a slap in the face to fans of the show, but this was a kick in the balls. Just awful.

Series Finale of voyager was the perfect send off to Voyager. Stupid action against the Borg. Time Travel. Janeway doing the most reprehensible thing she's ever done. Janeway not giving a shit about her crew. The rest of the crew being tossed in the background for the episode.

Sephzilla

What's even more upsetting is that the two-parter before the finale (the ones where Peter Weller is basically a terrorist leader) is an actually solid season finale because it ends basically the birth of the Federation. The actual finale is completely unnecessary.

I nominate ANY EPISODE where Worf is playing daddy and oh no he's too stern to gets them kids. Like whatever the fuck that season 4 episode was with him, Alexander, the holodeck, Troi's mom and the mudbath, or the god awful western one whose only saving grace was Data being ridiculous in every role.

But Fistfull of Datas is a Worf/Alexander episode and its pretty great

Series Finale of voyager was the perfect send off to Voyager. Stupid action against the Borg. Time Travel. Janeway doing the most reprehensible thing she's ever done. Janeway not giving a shit about her crew. The rest of the crew being tossed in the background for the episode.

6xQx9YT.gif

Shit, you're right. Voyager's finale is the most fitting send off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom