• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: 2D Super Mario, Super Mario RPG Remake & a SNES Classic Remake are being announced at this week's Nintendo Direct

Davevil

giphy.gif

Pejo

New 2D Mario? Like all new? Not an All-Stars or remaster or 2d-3d upgrade?

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Super Mario RPG remake, not Paper Mario or Rabbids?

200.gif

Wait, are Nintendo games not selling? Why remake these games? Where's my Mario 64 remake? Oh wait, the open-source community did just that WITH Ray-Tracing.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d absolutely love a new 2D Mario, I just hope it’s not a “New” new 2D Mario…
Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

Celine

Super Mario RPG is a game that often came to my mind when I was watching The Super Mario Bros Movie.

Got to hand it to Nintendo, they're the kings of originality :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I bet these remakes will come in at $70 too, the fans lap it up.
That's what happen when you can produce good games that are still relevant for a lot of people decades after the original release (not just "good games for the time" but truly good games irrespective of the times).
People lap it up for the remake of Link's Awakening because, at its core, it is a great game and recognized as such decades later.

Last edited:

Woopah

There is already a 2D Mario on Switch so I doubt they make another one.
There is already a Pikmin on Switch, they still made a new one.
Wait, are Nintendo games not selling? Why remake these games? Where's my Mario 64 remake? Oh wait, the open-source community did just that WITH Ray-Tracing.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Mario RPG is developed and published by SE, rather than Nintendo.

That's what happen when you can produce good games that are still relevant for a lot of people decades after the original release (not just "good games for the time" but truly good games irrespective of the times).
People lap it up for the remake of Link's Awakening because, at its core, it is a great game and recognized as such decades later.
And that reply is what happens when you're a Nintendo mug ;)

Celine

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mario RPG is developed and published by SE, rather than Nintendo.
Actually I would be surprised if Square Enix is publishing the game (if it happens for real).
Even in Japan, where the chances are slightly higher, I don't think Square Enix could attain publishing rights because, even thought it is a RPG, it is still a "Super Mario" game (it's a different case from Hyrule Warriors where the brand was forged by Koei).
Square cooperation would be mandatory of course.

Mario RPG remake? Lol you guys are trying to kill me by giving me hope in things that will not happen :'(

Would play the hell out of it if true

Last edited:
Got to hand it to Nintendo, they're the kings of originality :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I bet these remakes will come in at $70 too, the fans lap it up.
People trust Nintendo games quality
And there games are relevant in every decade
Also they don't put any stupid agenda like sony and MS
Their main focus is how to have fun while gaming
And not forcing unnecessary woke agenda

Last edited:

Woopah

Actually I would be surprised if Square Enix is publishing the game (if it happens for real).
Even in Japan, where the chances are slightly higher, I don't think Square Enix could attain publishing rights because, even thought it is a RPG, it is still a "Super Mario" game (it's a different case from Hyrule Warriors where the brand was forged by Koei).
Square cooperation would be mandatory of course.
I was thinking it could be something like Vs. Rabbids where Nintendo let's Square use the character, or like how Namco is publishing the Baeten Kaitos games, not Nintendo.

Not that I would be surprised if it was first party!

They ported a pikmin then made a new one , not the same thing
They ported a 2D Mario and then made a new one. Its exactly the same thing. Mario Maker is something different
People trust Nintendo games quality
And there games are relevant in every decade
Also they don't put any stupid agenda like sony and MS
Their main focus is how to have fun while gaming
And not forcing unnecessary woke agenda
Sony makes a lot of fun games too. "Woke" isn't an issue.

:
There is already a 2D Mario on Switch so I doubt they make another one.

I’m not understanding the logic here. Since when does Nintendo not make sequels to their games? The only 2D Mario that’s on Switch is a port from a game that originally came out in 2012.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
One new IP in decades excuse me while I'll laugh.
Xbox showed off more brand-new IP in its showcase than Nintendo made in decades and even SONY offers the likes of Dreams
There was so much innovation, like in Fable you could... oh I dunno, there was no gameplay show.
Or like in Hellblade where you could... oh, ooops.
But that game in the Bayou... no wait.

Yes, Starfield which isn't even Xbox, looks to evolve the open world to expand to a universe. But that's about it in more than a decade.

Nintendo did Splatoon, Ring Fit Adventure, not to mention innovating in it's own legacy franchises like Zelda and Mario.

There was so much innovation, like in Fable you could... oh I dunno, there was no gameplay show.
Or like in Hellblade where you could... oh, ooops.
But that game in the Bayou... no wait.

Yes, Starfield which isn't even Xbox, looks to evolve the open world to expand to a universe. But that's about it in more than a decade.

Nintendo did Splatoon, Ring Fit Adventure, not to mention innovating in it's own legacy franchises like Zelda and Mario.
Fable or Hellblade aren't even new IPs. The new IP's are Starfield, Clockwork Revolution, South of Midnight, and Avowed that's more new AAA In-House Ips than Nintendo has done in a decade in one show
Counting, Ring Fit Adventure is like counting Kinect Sports has new IP

BTW Legacy isn't innovating there's nothing new in Mario or Zelda that other developers haven't done before. The only innovation from Nintendo is finding ever more ways to milk IP and their fans

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Fable or Hellblade aren't even new IPs. The new IP's are Starfield, Clockwork Revolution, South of Midnight, and Avowed that's more new AAA In-House Ips than Nintendo has done in a decade in one show
Counting, Ring Fit Adventure is like counting Kinect Sports has new IP

BTW Legacy isn't innovating there's nothing new in Mario or Zelda that other developers haven't done before. The only innovation from Nintendo is finding ever more ways to milk IP and their fans
This gen Nintendo published new IPs:
Ring Fit Adventure (which is a new IP more innovative than anything you mentioned)
Astral Chain
Arms
Octopeth Traveler

Innovating in your own IP is something Microsoft or Sony don't do. Every 3D Mario has a different gameplay hook, Zelda this gen was something else, 3D Kirby, etc.

But I get it, South of Midnight is so innovative they didn't show gameplay. Clockwork Revolution is totally not Bioshock. I'll give you Starfield but that's about it.

This gen Nintendo published new IPs:
Ring Fit Adventure (which is a new IP more innovative than anything you mentioned)
Astral Chain
Arms
Octopeth Traveler

Innovating in your own IP is something Microsoft or Sony don't do. Every 3D Mario has a different gameplay hook, Zelda this gen was something else, 3D Kirby, etc.

But I get it, South of Midnight is so innovative they didn't show gameplay. Clockwork Revolution is totally not Bioshock. I'll give you Starfield but that's about it.
We now need to go into publishing lol. We also had Grounded, Sea Of Thieves and Pentiment In-House and if we go to published then we have Quantum Break, Recore, Sunset Overdrive Ect and that's even before ones moves on to SONY.
The fact is, Xbox and SONY do a far better job of making new IP's than the so-called innovators Nintendo

SALMORE

it's like a buffet of ideas from indie platformers in one mario game

i don't want to pay full price I'll find a used copy

Top Bottom