• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favourite controller?

tommib

415TNB4ZC0L._AC_.jpg

Zuzu

The best combination of ergonomics and functionality is the Elite Series 2 for me. But the poor build quality (or perhaps QC) is a big negative.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Xbox One controller.
Because it fits perfectly in my hands and the LT & RT triggers feel like actual triggers when playing an FPS or any shooter.
I have both XSX and PS5 and 99% of the time a shooter comes out for both platforms I'll get it on XSX for that reason.

The dualsense's triggers are a bit improved over previous versions and the haptics are great though.

calistan

This one (Scuf Instinct Pro for Xbox) I can't recommend highly enough. The best three things about it:

1. The trigger stops don't just reduce the travel of the triggers, they turn it into a microswitched mouse click.
2. The buttons on the back (also microswitches) form a curved resting place for your ring fingers, and a slight movement either way activates them. Way better than paddles you have to press.
3. There's a teflon ring around the thumbsticks, which gives super low friction so they always feel totally smooth.

KLPkwKa.jpg

QDdfs7K.jpg

Last edited:
Gaming on my PC with a dualsense. I like it but I have issues with over sensitive R2 trigger. Have learned to live with it and enjoy my games.

So +1 for the Dual Sense from me.

This is pretty amazingly terrible lol

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

simpatico

3D: Latest revision of Xbox 360 controller (it's not close) (Xbox Series)

2D: Latest revision of the Saturn controller (it's not close) (8Bitdo M30)

Last edited:

Comfortgel

Because it reminds me of the absolute best time I ever had in gaming. Playing imports on the PC Engine when they were new was a magical time, like lightning in a bottle. I still drag the lil guy out every now and then, but this plus my PCE mini gets way more play.

uETjGKa.jpg

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I wish Sony would make an asymmetric controller. But they don't so the Xbox Controller wins. Also the battery life is so fucking bad on the PS5 controller it would lose points even if the stick was in the right place. That said the shape is pretty nice.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have been a fan of the X360 onward design with asymmetrical sticks and longer triggers. The PS controllers need to have variants with asymmetrical sticks as well.

Trilobit

Gamecube controller is delicious with Nintendo first party games. It almost absorbed my hands when I played Wind Waker.

I recently picked up my Wii again and fell in love with the Wiimote and Nunchuk. It truly elevated first person games like Metroid Prime. It was also cool how well the Wiimote worked with retro games.

I tried out the XSX controller a week ago at a friend's place and it reminded me of how much I loved the X360 controller. There's something very natural about Microsoft's controllers that speaks to me and almost makes it the perfect one.

But my favourite controller right now is without a doubt the Dual Sense. There's some nitpicks, but overall it feels so futuristic. Whenever a game truly uses its capabilities I'm constantly impressed. The decision to enhance the trigger experience was quite genius and the engineering effort to make them that durable is even more remarkable.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Dualshock 2, FF8 on PS2. Vibration on high. Summon Eden. Light candles. Marvin Gaye.

Ifykyk.

I really like the Dualsense, but probs N64, because it was my first console and felt like you were holding a space blaster

SeraphJan

As of current, third party controllers are the best, hall effect sensor is a must for me, and their d-pad are pretty good as well.

This reminds me of the early model of Dualshock3, which actually used hall effect sensor as well (the other one being Dreamcast controller), no wonder these analog sticks were so durable, mine are still fully function till this day.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The best one I'm not too sure, but over the years I've like those.
I believe the controller holds an important role, and I've decided against a console on controller alone

For Dualshock Series I list what I think was the best version of it with the Dualsense probably being the best overall
aNZZOEf.jpg
x7VFvGM.jpg

CyobsFC.jpg

JyY1vlE.jpg

QR3z0tl.jpg

Last edited:

calistan

4b5673e6f427e4fa7425254503f93ad7.jpg

The one and only zipstick. Ok it's one button wouldn't fly nowadays but this was an amazing joystick, rugged as fuck, and the clicks of those microswitches were sweet music.
Those were great - ambidextrous, unlike the OG Atari design that forced you to operate the stick with your right hand.

I had a similar one in blue with round white buttons. Repaired the microswitches more than once but the metal shaft stood up to many a round of Daley Thompson's Decathlon.

calistan

This topic reminded me to dig out this old thing, which had pretty good controls for a handheld. I'd accidentally stored it with batteries in, so there was some leakage to clean up before it would work, but it's still a very comfortable handheld. Microswitched joystick and cutouts on the back in exactly the right place for my fingers.

2f1O2eA.jpg

Last edited:
Past controllers were very limited in their design, tech was certainly not there, but none of the more recent controllers are really good either.
I have never held the Xbox Duke (dpad, and right sticks seem hardly nicely positioned), but the Sony Boomerang might actually be nice.
The last good one was the 360 controller, I still use the cabled one on PC. Maybe my vote even goes to the wii-u Tablet.
The DS3 at least is still working and has nice battery life, but I dislike its duck taped SNES form.
DS4 improved some minor things, but made other important things worse, and the quality seemingly dropped.
Dualsense similar. Shape of the sticks got somehow even worse, also the shape of the handles got worse. The adaptive trigger thing starts to squeak on my newer black one and its drive is probably not built to last forever anyway. I'd rather have just stiffer springs than this.
Overall controllers are imho rather bad and could easily be improved if one designer would take the best bits of every design.
I don't even have close to NBA player hands, but would be nice if maybe there would be some XL versions of gamepads, 20% bigger or something, while certainly the standard pads have to be designed with kids in mind. Allows some extra space for more battery life too. Would be two points that would be worth something to me, unlike the overpriced Elite stuff.

My favourite non existing frankenstein controller: Dualsense surface finish, Move edges and (non)gaps, DS4 or Xbox360cabled shape +scaled, asymmetric concave DS3 sticks, 360triggers, Vita Dpad, DS3 battery life

BlackTron

This topic reminded me to dig out this old thing, which had pretty good controls for a handheld. I'd accidentally stored it with batteries in, so there was some leakage to clean up before it would work, but it's still a very comfortable handheld. Microswitched joystick and cutouts on the back in exactly the right place for my fingers.

2f1O2eA.jpg

The joystick on this thing was pretty incredible. I might actually use mine if the screen were better. But it just reminds me of my dark days squinting on GB Color and Advance. Dark both figuratively and literally

Solidus_T

The Dualshock 4 is my favorite controller ever. I use it for as many games as I can across PS4 and PS5 and PC. I might even get a converter so that I can use it for PS5 games, as much as I like the Dualsense.
Generally other than that it's any Playstation controller for their dpad and face buttons. They are unbeatable.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Xbox Elite Controller Series 2

Once you go 4 paddles and know how to use the FULL button mapping, you can't go back to any other controller.

And by FULL button mapping, I'm not just talking about remapping buttons but also using the SHIFT remapping so you can open Apps, Games, Messages, Friends list, Achievements or Settings with the buttons. It's insane.

Stuart360

Probably my fave of all time is the X360 controller, but i prefer Xbox controllers in general.
Got 2 XBS contollers at the moment that i use on PC. I much prefer the stick layout of Xbox contollers, and the fact they are slightly larger than PS conntrollers and easier for someone like me with large hands.
Also being on PC, Xbox controllers work hassle free with any PC game that supports controllers, due to Windows obviously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom