• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift Apart PC Requirements Revealed

Edder1

Do you realize that having a higher end internal SSD on PS5 vs a lower end would be a difference of a couple bucks to Sony right now at this moment?

I bought 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB for less than $160 yesterday (meaning each was less than $80). How much do you think MS is saving from having a 1TB Gen 3 SSD vs Sony having a 825GB Gen 4 SSD? I would bet it’s less than tree-fiddy!

Regardless, you sound like a typical hater who still don’t want to admit that PS5 objectively has a smarter overall design when it comes to value compared to Series X.
Now yes, but back then it was state of the art and SSDs were not so cheap. Sure Gen4 SSDs are cheap now, but at the time they were not even on the market when PS5 got announced.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
What marketing hype? The point of the SSD was for gameplay purposes and quality of life improvement over HDDs. Most PS5 exclusive loaded games in a few seconds.

I'm saying any marketing hype is almost always bullshit. I'm not saying there was marketing hype here in particular. Just that complaining about any marketing hype that may exist is silly. Because it's always the same exaggerated things that we should be numb to by now. Getting into battles over marketing speak is a pathetic waste of energy on both sides.

Zones

Now yes, but back then it was state of the art and SSDs were not so cheap. Sure Gen4 SSDs are cheap now, but at the time they were not even on the market when PS5 got announced.
So wouldn’t you agree that it was smart for Sony to think ahead and make a future-proof data streaming I/O alongside a higher-end SSD by only losing some extra money for a very short period of time?

The good news for Sony is the fact PS5 was (and still is) cheaper to produce compared to the Series X (perhaps significantly so).

SolidQ

So this game is possible with a HDD

giphy.gif

Please, insert compatible SSD to continue.

Edder1

So wouldn’t you agree that it was smart for Sony to think ahead and make a future-proof data streaming I/O alongside a higher-end SSD by only losing some extra money for a very short period of time?
I would only say yes if we saw anything to justify having Gen4 SSD in PS5, right now we haven't seen anything. Spending more on GPU instead is something we can all agree we would have immediately seen benefits of. I mean we're already seeing games on PS5 dropping to 1080p or even below in performance mode in some games, that's something an extra GPU power would have definitely helped with. As for SSD, we haven't seen a single case where we can say that having Gen4 SSD over Gen3 is of any benefit beyond a couple of seconds faster loading.

Last edited:

M1987

But I thought the 3070 was a shit 1080p card now because of it's 8gb VRAM? them recent ports were clearly unoptimised shit if it can run this at 1440p 60fps with RT on this game

Last edited:
Did not plan on buying this game again but that ultimate ray-tracing makes it tempting.

Can't wait to see the tech breakdown when this releases.

Zones

I would only say yes if we saw anything to justify having Gen4 SSD in PS5, right now we haven't seen anything. Spending more on GPU instead is something we can all agree we would have immediately seen benefits of. I mean we're already seeing games on PS5 dropping to 1080p or even below in performance mode in some games, that's something an extra GPU power would have definitely helped with. As for SSD, we haven't seen a single case where we can say that having Gen4 SSD over Gen3 is of any benefit beyond a couple of seconds faster loading.
I think you are missing the point.

You can absolutely add a more powerful GPU on a PS5 Pro, and later iterations of PlayStation for that matter, but you absolutely cannot change something as fundamental as the system’s I/O + SSD speed.

PS5 is designed in a way to not face the same fate of PS4. You simply don’t want to sell +100 million units in this day and age only to press a reset button and start from zero unit again when later iterations of PlayStation is released.

Notice how reluctant Sony was to leave PS4 behind and they developed all their main franchises as cross-gen titles… but that has to end now even though no business would in reality want to leave that massive PS4 install-base out.

PS5 is designed to make it ‘forward-compatible’, meaning when it comes to future transitions of PlayStation, you will absolutely still see games releasing on PS5 more than a decade from today (yes possibly at 720p @ 30 FPS, but that’s besides the point).

Without that over-designed SSD/IO, that simply may not be been possible, but hey, if you only care about today then you would be right, but Sony / Mark Cerny designed the system for the purpose of having PS5 last as long as possible.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
But I thought the 3070 was a shit 1080p card now because of it's 8gb VRAM? them recent ports were clearly unoptimised shit if it can run this at 1440p 60fps with RT on this game

Yup look at TLoU launch vs today theres quite a huge difference.
Once they added a texture streaming rate option it became possible to play with decent settings even on those 8GB cards, it still has some issues but its certainly not as bad.
Hell the game got SteamDeck certified.......

With Rift Apart its coming with adaptive streaming from the jump so hopefully no ugly textures even on 8GB cards.

From the Nixxes interview:

For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings

If this goes as well as we are hoping its gonna be one of the best ports this generation.

Bojji

Of course those games were unoptimized. Problem is optimised games are rarity, Nixxes is one of the best of developers out there. Most new games are memory heavy as fuck and 8GB GPUs are fucked up in them...

That's why no one reccomends cards with lower than 12GB VRAM buffers for people that want to play new games with most settings maxed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Really excited for this one as it's a really good game. And a technical showpiece in my opinion. It seems like they have once again brought their best effort in importing this over. I don't really care about the jokes about the SSD and stuff I really am more interested in just seeing how it runs on different hardware because some of those features in there are really next generation. If direct storage and some of the other features are in then that bodes well for this translating well to PC.

Edder1

I think you are missing the point.

You can absolutely add a more powerful GPU on a PS5 Pro, and later iterations of PlayStation for that matter, but you absolutely cannot change something as fundamental as the system’s I/O + SSD speed.

PS5 is designed in a way to not face the same fate of PS4. You simply don’t want to sell +100 million units in this day and age only to press a reset button and start from zero unit again when later iterations of PlayStation is released.

Notice how reluctant Sony was to leave PS4 behind and they developed all their main franchises as cross-gen titles… but that has to end now even though no business would in reality want to leave that massive PS4 install-base out.

PS5 is designed to make it ‘forward-compatible’, meaning when it comes to future transitions of PlayStation, you will absolutely still see games releasing on PS5 more than a decade from today (yes possibly at 720p @ 30 FPS, but that’s besides the point).

Without that over-designed SSD/IO, that simply may not be been possible, but hey, if you only care about today then you would be right, but Sony / Mark Cerny designed the system for the purpose of having PS5 last as long as possible.
And yet you cannot provide a single example of that SSD being of value over more powerful GPU in practice. It's all nice talking about IO and throughput, but it's all pie in the sky stuff until you can show its benefits in practice.

Last edited:

Bojji

And yet you cannot provide a single example of that SSD being of value over more powerful GPU in practice. It's all nice talking about IO and throughput, but it's all pie in the sky stuff until you can show its benefits in practice.

In reality how much more powerful GPU they could have? I bet nothing over series x and it already shows that difference between them is not very big (if at all in some games).

SSD speed may become some advantage later in generation, so far we just STARTED to see 9 gen only games.

Edder1

In reality how much more powerful GPU they could have? I bet nothing over series x and it already shows that difference between them is not very big (if at all in some games).

SSD speed may become some advantage later in generation, so far we just STARTED to see 9 gen only games.
They could have at least matched Series X GPU. Of course were aren't going to see difference between them because third party games also have to run on Series S and PS5 is the primary development console. Where we would see a difference though is first party games. Most people just think of resolution when they think of more powerful GPU, but in reality it also allows devs to push more fidelity, more geometry and have more graphical features in their games. Like I said, these are immediate benefits, whereas we are yet to see any practical benefit of having PS5 Gen4 SSD over a tad slower Gen3 SDD.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
I think the context is the SDD made Ratchet and Clank possible on PlayStation 5, because it had numerous technological improvements including a SSD when compared to the slow HDD on PS4. The PS4 had a slow HDD. PlayStations are not PCs.

When they announced Rift Apart they said "this is something we couldn't do on previous generations." The Context is previous generations of Playstation. Not PCs.

Most PCs today, even if running on a standard HDD, are much more capable than a system developed in 2013. And its not that the experience is impossible on HDD, just worse.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

lol so many butthurt ppl will stop talking after the game shows that it can run on an hdd, even if its on low, if it doesnt present any issues, then the ssd marketting talk is just all BS.
So you don't want PCs to show off the point of having the latest tech? There should be a new minimum standard,the fact some want newer games to run on old technology is very weird.

sncvsrtoip

I dont think you can use DS with a regular HDD. I would wait to make such claims.
With DirectStorage 1.2, developers can now use the same code on both SSDs and HDDs. While DirectStorage has traditionally used an unbuffered mode to pass data from SSDs to the GPU as fast as possible, it now supports a buffered mode for legacy HDDs.
“The legacy hard drives require buffered IO in order to mask the long seek times,” says Microsoft’s DirectX team. Developers will now be able to enable this mode for games installed strictly to slower HDDs so they can benefit from OS file buffering features and speed increases.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Minimum spec with SSD Recommended in brackets.
GAF
See I told it was all bullshit, I'll be running it 4k60fps on a HDD
🤔

Kenpachii

didn't even know the game came to pc going to be interesting to see how it performs. If its a 30 euro game i will probably get it.

BlackTron

Minimum spec with SSD Recommended in brackets.
GAF
See I told it was all bullshit, I'll be running it 4k60fps on a HDD
🤔

Extremely weird you would have the hardware to run this game at 4k60, but introduce such a bottleneck to your system by using a HDD. Not even talking games, just using the OS. Honestly, I didn't think anyone still did this, I thought HDD was for cold storage/media only, and no one would be caught dead running a real gaming system on one.

Jboemios

Banned
Do you realize that having a higher end internal SSD on PS5 vs a lower end would be a difference of a couple bucks to Sony right now at this moment?

I bought 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB for less than $160 yesterday (meaning each was less than $80). How much do you think MS is saving from having a 1TB Gen 3 SSD vs Sony having a 825GB Gen 4 SSD? I would bet it’s less than tree-fiddy!

Regardless, you sound like a typical hater who still don’t want to admit that PS5 objectively has a smarter overall design when it comes to value compared to Series X.
Series X is smaller, consume less energy, run games at better resolutions, and cost the same.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
That's how you make a PC port. Sony cares about PC gamers more than many PC only devs. TLOU was exception but many other PC ports was suffering at same time.
Also 3070 FTW.

Black_Stride

That's how you make a PC port. Sony cares about PC gamers more than many PC only devs. TLOU was exception but many other PC ports was suffering at same time.
Also 3070 FTW.

Yeah totally.

Zero Dawn - Launched in perfect condition
Days Gone - Sooo gooood
Returnal - Traversal stutter is not a thing.
Spider-Man - Didnt even need to get patched once.
The Last of Us - Shining example of how to do a port.
Sackboy - Praised to high heaven on PC at launch.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Extremely weird you would have the hardware to run this game at 4k60, but introduce such a bottleneck to your system by using a HDD. Not even talking games, just using the OS. Honestly, I didn't think anyone still did this, I thought HDD was for cold storage/media only, and no one would be caught dead running a real gaming system on one.
Sorry I miss out the quotes, I was mocking people in this thread

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Yeah totally.

Zero Dawn - Launched in perfect condition
Days Gone - Sooo gooood
Returnal - Traversal stutter is not a thing.
Spider-Man - Didnt even need to get patched once.
The Last of Us - Shining example of how to do a port.
Sackboy - Praised to high heaven on PC at launch.
Feature-wise at least. Shit happen.
Also name a PC game without same or more problems?

Black_Stride

Also name a PC game without same or more problems?
Gears 5.
Forza Horizon (Pretty much all of them).
Ori (both of them).
Metal Gears Solid 5.
Death Stranding.
Doom '16 and Eternal.
Control.

I could keep going honestly but is it really worth it?
Either this new phase of bad ports has hurt you enough to forget that PC launches for big titles were generally good and bad ports were the outliers, or you just really felt like praising Sony for something but couldnt come up with anything so decided to ignore that in actual fact, most of their ports dont launch in brilliant shape.

Top Bottom