• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What The Hell Happened To Project Gotham Racing?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Project Gotham Racing series hasn’t been heard from in many years. The latest entry in the series was a fairly early release for the Xbox 360 and, after that, it’s been pretty much dead. But why is that? Why would a racing series that garnered such a loyal fanbase suddenly vanish as it did? What the hell happened to Project Gotham Racing?

Senua

The Project Gotham Racing series hasn’t been heard from in many years. The latest entry in the series was a fairly early release for the Xbox 360 and, after that, it’s been pretty much dead. But why is that? Why would a racing series that garnered such a loyal fanbase suddenly vanish as it did? What the hell happened to Project Gotham Racing?

It stopped selling enough to warrant more games duh.

duh-39847867.png

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Googled "what happened to PGR"

"Discontinuation. In September 2007, after being bought by Activision, Bizarre Creations announced that PGR4 would be the last game produced for Microsoft. ... As no new PGR games were released in the 2010s, and Bizarre Creations was shuttered by Activision in 2011, the franchise is presumed to be discontinued."

bender

What time is it?
Excellent series even if you include MSR. It peaked with PGR2 but 3 & 4 were also great. It's too bad Microsoft jettisoned the series. Blur is completely underrated too. I think some of their DNA lives on with Playground.

Very simple, the studio dissolved just like Evolution did after Driveclub. If they were still a studio of course there would be a new PGR.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

Great series but microsoft shelved it.

Havoc2049

MSR/PGR is my favorite racing series of all time. Online racing in Project Gotham Racing 2 was amazing.

Project Gotham Racing: Ferrari Edition on the Zune HD was also pretty sick as well.

Allforce

Something REALLY satisfying about those clicking sounds as you rack up Kudos. Surprised nobody has really utilized that again since these games.

Last edited:

OutRun88

PGR4 has to be one of my most beloved games. I still think it looks and plays fantastic.

Their follow up game Blur was another gem. Kudos to the developers on their amazing games (pun Intended). I wish we still had them around.

Fox Mulder

the rights never left MS.

who knows how big the franchise could have become if Bizarre Creations didn’t get bought by Activision. MS could have made another as Forza Horizon didn’t come out until 2012.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I remember really great times with these games. I'd happily settle for a remaster package and pay $80.

bender

What time is it?
I still remember EB Games breaking street date on PGR2 (remember those orange "don't not sell before xyz date stickers?) a week or so early. The custom soundtrack integration in PGR2 is still unmatched and was a game changer. The early days of Xbox Live were great. I had a regular crew that played a few times a week and after racing we'd cool down with Cat and Mouse games on Nürburgring. KGB Corner is one of my favorite courses in a racer ever.

Eventually morphed into forza horizon in my opinion I dont think the way they released motorsport and horizon games every year last gen had a place for pgr and fh 4 is by far the best driving game of last gen

MarkMe2525

Googled "what happened to PGR"

"Discontinuation. In September 2007, after being bought by Activision, Bizarre Creations announced that PGR4 would be the last game produced for Microsoft. ... As no new PGR games were released in the 2010s, and Bizarre Creations was shuttered by Activision in 2011, the franchise is presumed to be discontinued."
End of thread

TwiztidElf

Microsoft and Activision happened.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the developer lineage is Lucid Games - So, yes Destruction AllStars on PS5.
And I also believe many members ended up at Sumo Digital, so also Sonic Kart Racing games and Hotshot Racing.
There might be one or two other studios that also picked up talent, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Flintty

Shame it got put down. Would be nice if MS could headhunt some of the previous Devs and set up a small studio to make another Forza spin-off in the style of PGR.

intbal

Probably only of interest to PGR fans.

It's a shame they didn't think to package this up and include it as another mode in the game.

Apologies for the mild necro. It was either this or a thread from 2004.

Top Bottom